Let's Talk Heavy Equipment Again. - Page 13 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #301 (permalink)

Member # 74407
I think for 18k you can't really go wrong and even if you went crazy and ended up with 7k worth of repairs, you'd still be ok money wise after using it to clear the land. I would charge you well more than the cost of that machine to do what you want to do, and I bet I could do it cheaper than anyone else, even coming up from Tx.

I would also suggest a compact track loader in the 10k lbs range. Mine is smaller, always did everything I needed it to do, but a bigger machine would have made me even more $.

I
Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #302 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Well, the Blade Runner is officially mine. I talked to the executor and she gave me the okay to have it delivered before closing. He's going to deliver it Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Yup. I am still searching for a track steer. I'm thinking a 70-90hp high flow if I can find one.

Last edited by Action Fab; 11-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #303 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Quote I just got was $500-800 for the shaft and $200-$400 to rebuild.
Rams arnt that hard to rebuild. A bent one as long as you try to disassemble with the bend past the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Just did a 744h bucket cylinder. Broke the rod at the nut. The charged me 2100 to weld new rod on and repack cylinder.
a few months back we had one where the rod end was to worn to hold its joint the little roll ball joint. so we had a new one welded on to the rod. $1863. Far cheaper than the rod was.

Quote:
I know your a great fabricator but that ROPS is trashed. if thats a crease Im seeing in the main structure. Id shit can that main structure so fast it would make your head spin.

Other than that might find out what hose fitting types it uses if its oring boss or oring face you might get a kit. its old..its sat a few years, its not leaking now but it will.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #304 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
I know your a great fabricator but that ROPS is trashed. if thats a crease Im seeing in the main structure. Id shit can that main structure so fast it would make your head spin.
uh, I don't think that cab was ever designed to do more than hold the rain and cold out, just looks like sheetmetal to me
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #305 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
uh, I don't think that cab was ever designed to do more than hold the rain and cold out, just looks like sheetmetal to me
It's like 3/16" or 1/4" thick plate moulded into a pretty intricate shape. Whatever hit it was substantial.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #306 (permalink)

Member # 7968
On Sacramento CL is a track loader Cat 977, for $8k.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/hv...005895271.html

I suck at images.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #307 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
On Sacramento CL is a track loader Cat 977, for $8k.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/hv...005895271.html

I suck at images.
2BB needs that.

Thats not a machine you transport from Ca to Ar
Old 11-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #308 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
Rams arnt that hard to rebuild. A bent one as long as you try to disassemble with the bend past the cap.
Hydraulic cylinders are easy to repack once you get them apart. The key is to be able to get a 2-3Ē nut off that torqued to 1500-2500 foot/lbs. it is super important to get that nut retorqued to the proper amount. If not the rod breaks/piston gets loose and fuck the barrel up. Rods are cheap to fix barrels not so much.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 08:11 AM   #309 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Quote:
Well, the Blade Runner is officially mine. I talked to the executor and she gave me the okay to have it delivered before closing. He's going to deliver it Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Yup. I am still searching for a track steer. I'm thinking a 70-90hp high flow if I can find one.
high flow is not that big of a deal anymore. unless you are going in the mulching business.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #310 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
high flow is not that big of a deal anymore. unless you are going in the mulching business.
I agree. Most of the modern machines run enough pressure on the aux side to run probably 95% of the attachments available.

As for CTL's, I would recommend Bobcat and Kubota. Bobcat to me is the leader in skidsteers and ctl's. Kubota has a long proven track record, but Ive never operated one of their skidsteers or ctl's.

And I'll reiterate, get the biggest machine you can. Clear with the excavator and do everything else with the ctl.

Action fab, when youre ready to get started, I'll help ya with any advice I can give. Especially when it comes to cutting in and building a drive.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #311 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post

As for CTL's, I would recommend Bobcat and Kubota. Bobcat to me is the leader in skidsteers and ctl's. Kubota has a long proven track record, but Ive never operated one of their skidsteers or ctl's.
IMO bobcats are junk. The couple I ran were horrible to control. I will not buy one. My good buddy bought a brand new kubota ctl and he hates it. Says itís in the shop more than he can use it. The older ones may be better but the new ones have emission issues.

Take my advice for what itís worth. However I do feed my family by running old equipment.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #312 (permalink)

Member # 7412
i try to keep older non catalyst equipment. i have a 2006 takeuchi tl140, it has been a good machine. i bought and older deere 230 to leave at my place in Colorado. one day on the mountain, i was like fuck that wheeled bastard. my pc300 has a n14 cummins that has to have been rebuilt for the hours on the machine [23k]. it starts in 5 degree weather no problem.

lots of 95 kubotas have the frame cracked at the back above the motor, as in a shit load of them with some hours.

Last edited by gunracer1; 11-14-2019 at 10:27 AM.
gunracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #313 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Hey Action, we're all stoked for the thread, and the bull shit, but a word of caution, I know you're a mechanic and fabricator and all that, but if you haven't gotten serious hours wrenching on heavy equipment, treat everything like it will kill you, I had close calls when I switched from cars to cats, then, shortly after a guy left that shop and was crashed to death in a paver hopper within 30 days. Another guy left that shop and went to a mine, I also left and went to another mine, a sister property, within a year, him and another guy were run over, my guy spent 5 hours getting cut out, covered in the other dudes guts. We have a dozer that killed 2 men at another location 20 years ago, it's still pushing dirt. I can go on and on, but if you're learning how to fix iron, at your place, by yourself, with the tools and equipment you've got at hand, you are a prime candidate for a Darwin award, even having a good head on your shoulders. Somebody will buy that iron from your widow and it will keep running, it doesn't care.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #314 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
IMO bobcats are junk. The couple I ran were horrible to control. I will not buy one. My good buddy bought a brand new kubota ctl and he hates it. Says it’s in the shop more than he can use it. The older ones may be better but the new ones have emission issues.

Take my advice for what it’s worth. However I do feed my family by running old equipment.
One of my buddies is an operator (Crawford on here I think). He told me to stay away from the Bobcats and Catipilars. He said the Hitachi, Hilt and Takuechi machines are the best. I think the good Kubota's were Hitachi but are now something else and thus aren'tas good as they once were. One thing I'm starting to notice is that the older equipment is more reliable and seems to last longer. It also seems from my research that Asian equipment from the 90's and early 00's was higher quality than US based products. Which is very similar to the automotive industry that I'm more familiar with.

I'd really like to find an Asian made, pre Catalist, tracked machine in the 8000-10,000lb range with 70-90 hp for under $20k that's had some recent maintenance done. Something that most people would be uninterested in because it's ugly and beat up.

Last edited by Action Fab; 11-14-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #315 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Hey Action, we're all stoked for the thread, and the bull shit, but a word of caution, I know you're a mechanic and fabricator and all that, but if you haven't gotten serious hours wrenching on heavy equipment, treat everything like it will kill you, I had close calls when I switched from cars to cats, then, shortly after a guy left that shop and was crashed to death in a paver hopper within 30 days. Another guy left that shop and went to a mine, I also left and went to another mine, a sister property, within a year, him and another guy were run over, my guy spent 5 hours getting cut out, covered in the other dudes guts. We have a dozer that killed 2 men at another location 20 years ago, it's still pushing dirt. I can go on and on, but if you're learning how to fix iron, at your place, by yourself, with the tools and equipment you've got at hand, you are a prime candidate for a Darwin award, even having a good head on your shoulders. Somebody will buy that iron from your widow and it will keep running, it doesn't care.
Some friends of my parents lost a father to an excavator repair. I appreciate the words of caution. I'm going to be very careful.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #316 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Hey Action, we're all stoked for the thread, and the bull shit, but a word of caution, I know you're a mechanic and fabricator and all that, but if you haven't gotten serious hours wrenching on heavy equipment, treat everything like it will kill you,

I know this was directed to af but

Even if we dont always want to hear it, thanks for the reminder.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #317 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
I know itís stupid but wear your dang seatbelt. In case there is a rollover you need to stay in the cab. It doesnít matter what you running skidsteer excavator dozer just wear your damn seatbelt everytime you get in.

A few years back I rolled my excavator right on the cab side. If I would have tried and jumped I would have been killed. I just had a death grip on the controls and rode it out in the cab. Only my pride got hurt that day.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:45 AM   #318 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Also If you never drove a excavator before make sure the controls are the standard pattern. I was brought up running them the pollak way boom and dipper are swapped. It sucks because I cannot just jump in anyoneís machine and go to town and most other people cannot drive my shit.

If your gonna learn make sure you learn the same pattern as everyone else.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #319 (permalink)

Member # 74407
A $13,000 (in 2005) Bobcat 763 was the backbone of my business for years and made me a lot of money. Total repair costs on it in 15yrs was under $1000. Had the ecu shit the bed in 2010 and the control valve started leaking 2yrs ago. Your operating costs per dollar will be lower than any other comparable machine, IMO.

If thats junk, then I'd like to see something thats not junk. And Caterpillars are good machines, just move expensive to repair and maintain.

But people think Freightliner Casacadias are the best, most reliable trucks on the road even though my old boss makes a living repairing them for customers on a daily basis.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #320 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Even if we dont always want to hear it, thanks for the reminder.
That said, you gotta nip the safety sally virtue signaling in the bud or it will start derailing every thread. Most every other part of the internet where people discuss hobbies has gone to shit in that way. We're all adults, shit is dangerous, we can make our own decisions, 'nuff said.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #321 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
No doubt you can sell it for more than you bought it for if you fix it up, but no where near 40k.
Look at auction results for them, here is a much nicer one that sold for $24k.
https://www.rockanddirt.com/aucsearc...1562989&type=E
And another that went for 20.5k.
https://www.rockanddirt.com/aucsearc...1611481&type=E

I wouldnt sink any more into it than what it needs to run and get your stuff done, sell it and be glad you break even.
So I have been messing around searching for Blade Runners on Marketplace to compare. I only found a handful nation wide. They were all ED150's and 160's which are the more undesirable model blade runner from what I read online and from talking to the dealer yesterday. The first generation is the one everyone looks for (although probably not what big companies are buying) . The newer ones use an Isuzu or Mitsubishi diesel. The later models and are also known to have pump failures. The sales guy tried to sell me a warranty because he said every ED150 he sold came in needing the pump replaced. The service guy told him the 180 is a completely different machine and that he's never seen a pump go bad in one.

The first one looks great. It has 6500 hours. But it's only 3 years newer than the 180 I bought. The ed180 I bought is an 01 model. Not a 99 model like I first posted.

The next one has 10,200 hours.

The last one has 8000 hours.

I also found an 06 ed150 without hours listed for $95k and a 2016 ed160 with 700 hours for $150k.
Attached Images

Last edited by Action Fab; 11-14-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #322 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
That said, you gotta nip the safety sally virtue signaling in the bud or it will start derailing every thread. Most every other part of the internet where people discuss hobbies has gone to shit in that way. We're all adults, shit is dangerous, we can make our own decisions, 'nuff said.
That's a fair point also.

Just remember the weight of everything vs an average rock crawler. Not to mention the lack of visibility. There isn't much injuries with equipment, you usually just die. Or kill someone else.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #323 (permalink)

Member # 25632
My buddy paid around $70k for his 150 that looks like the 2nd one. Wasn't specifically looking for a blade runner, but ended up loving it.
YotaAtieToo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #324 (permalink)

Member # 9467
I have worked on ROPS/FOPS for Cat motorgraders, wheel loaders and mining trucks so I'm not talking out of my ass. I have never worked on excavator ROPS/FOPS FWIW.

If that cab has a ROPS tag your best bet is to find a replacement and swap it. ROPS tags are normally easily seen with no need to remove panels. They will state the max weight rating, year of manufacture, etc... If it does not have a ROPS tag it's fair game.

ROPS have a legal liability associated with them and no manufacturer will agree to certify a field repair.

I worked with a small gravel pit in MI a few years ago that drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes in the ROPS B pillar (6 post ROPS) to hold a radio in a small wheel loader. The machine was red tagged until it was recertified for use. I wrote an engineering opinion letter that convinced the MSHA inspector to allow it to operate without replacement.
lt1yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #325 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
The good news is I found out that the cabs on the SK series are the same, which makes the market for a used cab much larger. I haven't actually found one, but I've been told that $3k-$5k is the going rate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in