Let's Talk Heavy Equipment Again. - Page 14 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #326 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1yj View Post
I have worked on ROPS/FOPS for Cat motorgraders, wheel loaders and mining trucks so I'm not talking out of my ass. I have never worked on excavator ROPS/FOPS FWIW.

If that cab has a ROPS tag your best bet is to find a replacement and swap it. ROPS tags are normally easily seen with no need to remove panels. They will state the max weight rating, year of manufacture, etc... If it does not have a ROPS tag it's fair game.

ROPS have a legal liability associated with them and no manufacturer will agree to certify a field repair.

I worked with a small gravel pit in MI a few years ago that drilled and tapped two 1/4-20 holes in the ROPS B pillar (6 post ROPS) to hold a radio in a small wheel loader. The machine was red tagged until it was recertified for use. I wrote an engineering opinion letter that convinced the MSHA inspector to allow it to operate without replacement.

How about cliff notes???

I donít know what the alphabet shit stands for or the real point you are trying to get across.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #327 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
How about cliff notes???

I donít know what the alphabet shit stands for or the real point you are trying to get across.

He's saying that the rollover system's come with huge oversight by regulators.

You're not allowed to make modifications without them recertifying the rollover protection.

His anecdote was that a simple CB mount was enough to pull a machine out of service by the regulators.

Thus, be careful, these fucks don't play around.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #328 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post

You're not allowed to make modifications without them recertifying the rollover protection.

His anecdote was that a simple CB mount was enough to pull a machine out of service by the regulators.

How does that effect a resale to a private buyer?

Or is he saying that a certified mech wonít repair it?

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #329 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:

Well, I'm not sure anyone could say for sure. When I was at the dealer yesterday, I proposed my idea to repair the cab myself. They explained that they wouldn't touch the machine as a trade it if i did that. The service department told me to only do that if I plan to keep it for myself. But told me that liability could be high if I pass it down the road.

I've built roll cages and tube chassis for over a decade. So unlike most people I'm very use to this particular risk.

Shrug.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #330 (permalink)

Member # 9467
Quote:

Private buyers can do whatever they want.

It's only an issue if you're using it in a commercial environment or reselling it to someone using it in a commercial environment.

Commercial equipment gets inspected by MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) or OSHA or other alphabet agencies depending on state requirements. They have the power to shut the machine down which makes it worthless to a commercial owner.
lt1yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #331 (permalink)

Member # 9467
Quote:
I've built roll cages and tube chassis for over a decade. So unlike most people I'm very use to this particular risk.

Shrug.
Different environment completely.

The roll bars and tube chassis doesn't make money for the owner and isn't regulated by some government agency that can shut you down at a moments notice. It would suck to own a 50K machine that you can't use until you find a replacement cab.

Risk of injury is the same but the consequences are much different.

On top of that the material used in ROPS structures are not off the shelf. They are certified from the mill to meet Charpy impact test and K1C (crack growth and toughness) values so the material doesn't tear under high plastic strain. Manufacturers keep track of the mill runs used on each structure and regularly test the material to ensure compliance.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #332 (permalink)

Member # 9467
Quote:

Well said!
Old 11-14-2019, 11:24 PM   #333 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1yj View Post
Different environment completely.

The roll bars and tube chassis doesn't make money for the owner and isn't regulated by some government agency that can shut you down at a moments notice. It would suck to own a 50K machine that you can't use until you find a replacement cab.

Risk of injury is the same but the consequences are much different.

On top of that the material used in ROPS structures are not off the shelf. They are certified from the mill to meet Charpy impact test and K1C (crack growth and toughness) values so the material doesn't tear under high plastic strain. Manufacturers keep track of the mill runs used on each structure and regularly test the material to ensure compliance.
What I was referring to, was the liability comment from the sales guy. I was pointing out my exposure to similar liability in the sense that if someone gets hurt in a cage I built or modified, I could be held liable. I'm not referring to the ROPS certificate or commercial use. Just the general if I sell it scenario.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 AM   #334 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
The good news is I found out that the cabs on the SK series are the same, which makes the market for a used cab much larger. I haven't actually found one, but I've been told that $3k-$5k is the going rate.
That is about right. I swapped cabs on my excavator when I rolled it. Not too bad of a job. Go down the list and start making phone calls. They will immediately be able to say yes or no if they have a cab and a price.

https://www.machinerytrader.com/list...80-bladerunner

https://www.machinerytrader.com/list...del/sk200-lc-v
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 04:49 AM   #335 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Ignore the ROPS or fix it yourself for now. All this stuff about legal liability and OSHA is more or less irrelevant until you either try to sell the machine or your business grows to the point someone other than you is sitting in that cab. These machines are getting more hours and more abuse as time goes on and likewise they and their parts are getting cheaper. There is no reason to be in a hurry to swap cabs unless it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 PM   #336 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I'm having a really hard time finding a decent tracked machine in the 10k size and 90hp power rating that isn't $30-$40k or a total turd.

Is a 7000 lb 60hp machine going to be useless in comparison?
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #337 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Thats gotta be an old ass machine...

Edit: Yep, thats a late 90's machine. Once again, a Bobcat T300 will do everything you want it to for a long long time.

Last edited by TireFryerSS; 11-15-2019 at 09:00 PM.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #338 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I purposely looking for something older.

So, I'm sure the sheer number of T300's in existence is a factor. But damn have I seen a lot of them with issues or recent engine/pump/drive motors replaced. Maybe I'm wrong, but the price vs how many I am finding with problems makes me hesitant to get one.

I found this case that is broken. I am surprised that it killed a planetary at 1700 hours.

I found the planetary and sun shell for $1k. Seems like a good deal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Action Fab; 11-15-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #339 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
uh, I don't think that cab was ever designed to do more than hold the rain and cold out, just looks like sheetmetal to me
its strong enough for one roll over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #340 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
I'm having a really hard time finding a decent tracked machine in the 10k size and 90hp power rating that isn't $30-$40k or a total turd.

I've really only ran cats, and honestly unless you are lifting big logs or using a high demand attachment, there isn't THAT noticeable of a difference from a 259(8500 lb, 75hp) and a 299 (12k lb and 110hp) even my buddy who owns a 299 said the 279s feel pretty much the same.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #341 (permalink)

Member # 74407
You have to remember. The vast majority of ctl's are purchased by companies to be worked hard and make $. I actually bought my machine from a Bobcat dealer, which even back then was rare for me. It was a previous rental machine in farm country at a hardware store.

Call equipment dealers within a few hundred miles of you and see what they have or what they can get their hands on. Sometimes they get trade ins that dont ever get advertised because they know they can sell them that fast.

That Case I dont know much about. Older cases, rock solid. My moms husband started his excavation co in the 90's with a case skidsteer and a Kubota tractor with a backhoe attachment. He has the case up until a year ago when he had a big auction and basically gave away a bunch of his stuff
Old 11-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #342 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:

I would buy a wheeled machine and use over the tire tracks. Which is what I am in the process of doing now.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #343 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
You have to remember. The vast majority of ctl's are purchased by companies to be worked hard and make $. I actually bought my machine from a Bobcat dealer, which even back then was rare for me. It was a previous rental machine in farm country at a hardware store.

Call equipment dealers within a few hundred miles of you and see what they have or what they can get their hands on. Sometimes they get trade ins that dont ever get advertised because they know they can sell them that fast.

That Case I dont know much about. Older cases, rock solid. My moms husband started his excavation co in the 90's with a case skidsteer and a Kubota tractor with a backhoe attachment. He has the case up until a year ago when he had a big auction and basically gave away a bunch of his stuff
It really depends, I've seen a lot on big company job sites where they just sit until a pallet needs to be moved or some other bs task. On the other hand, they can often be a "laborers" machine and get a lot of guys in them that really don't know anything about equipment and treat them like shit.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #344 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I would buy a wheeled machine and use over the tire tracks. Which is what I am in the process of doing now.
Can you go into further detail about this decision?

I've read that those don't make a big difference in mud. This work is going to primarily be in the rainy season and we have a lot is slick ass clay/mud. Plus I'll be working off camber a lot. I've been recommended by just about everyone I've consulted to get a tracked CTL.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #345 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:

I've read that those don't make a big difference in mud. This work is going to primarily be in the rainy season and we have a lot is slick ass clay/mud. Plus I'll be working off camber a lot. I've been recommended by just about everyone I've consulted to get a tracked CTL.
This thread here:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...some-help.html

and further research that reinforced it. I am in the mountains of Pennsylvania where it can be snowy and muddy, too.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #346 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:

It all depends on the track style. The big blocky ones donít seem to go to well in the slippery mud. The small bar style grab a lot better. There is a ton of track styles for different applications.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #347 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Based on what DMG said and the consistent praise of older CASE equipment (along with my affinity for the 4BT, that being the powerplant for my excavator, making parts interchangeability a cherry topper) it brings back into question this unit I ear marked last week.

Only 8k lbs and 4980lbs of break out force. But it looks to be in the old, depreciated and reliable category.

Not sure if it has auxiliary hook ups or is set up for quick connect attachments. I sent the seller a message asking for those answers.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #348 (permalink)

Member # 74407
I thought about that for you as well. I think it would do the job you want, but I think if you're looking to buy the machine and keep it long term, get the ctl. Buy once, cry once.

Ott tracks make a big difference on a wheeled machine, but still nothing like a track machine.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #349 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I have a hard time believing that thing had a 4bt.

Could you imagine if it did though, with 2 4bt's you probably never have to refuel for the entire project
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #350 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I have a hard time believing that thing had a 4bt.

Could you imagine if it did though, with 2 4bt's you probably never have to refuel for the entire project
So I just talked to the guy on the phone. Sounds perfect. He did confirm it has a 4bt. It's an 03 model. They just bought all new machines and it's the only reason he's selling it. Tires are foam filled. They just had all the seals on all the hydraulic systems replaced. New battery, new fluids throughout. The high flow pump was replaced only because it leaked, not because it was faulty. Seems like the perfect rig. Sadly I can't make it up there till next week due to other obligations. So hopefully I don't miss out.

He said it has a 96" bucket. I'm wondering if that 8k lb weight is accurate.

Anyone want to chime in on the model. He says it's a 930. But I can't find anything about them. I mistakenly was looking at the 90xt specs.

Last edited by Action Fab; 11-16-2019 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in