Hf stepping up thier tool box game. - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 40450
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrikeKid View Post
Agreed, they've been riding the fuck out of their name for a long time, and jacking the prices up to compensate for those that have figured it out and taken their money elsewhere. I feel sorry for the new SnapOn kid that shows up to my workplace, rare that any of us buy anything but used shit or to replace lost tools.
The guy across the street from work got into the Snap On game for all of 3 or 4 months. He had to go through all the training and outfitted his truck with all the latest and greatest gear. He ended up with a shitty route mostly in Baltimore City and the surrounding area.

He lost his ass, and from what he told me, is still paying off the debt from his adventure.
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMIKE View Post
The guy across the street from work got into the Snap On game for all of 3 or 4 months. He had to go through all the training and outfitted his truck with all the latest and greatest gear. He ended up with a shitty route mostly in Baltimore City and the surrounding area.

He lost his ass, and from what he told me, is still paying off the debt from his adventure.
I guess this kid's dad owns several trucks and has been at it for years, and he's in a target rich environment with all the dealers lined up together here so he'll probably be fine, he just doesn't know how to be a salesman and relies on the logo on the side of his truck to talk for him. My last Cornwell dealer was in the business and back out under a year though, with I'm sure a heap of debt to show for it I'm sure since he had a brand new truck packed to the gills and rarely sold anything.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #78 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba the Red View Post
And everything, and I mean everything in your home was made in the good 'ol USA, wasn't it?
Obviously not as some stuff isn’t made anywhere else anymore, but I don’t seek out making it an agenda to purposely buy commie crap.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:52 PM   #79 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Obviously not as some stuff isn’t made anywhere else anymore, but I don’t seek out making it an agenda to purposely buy commie crap.
I have come to the point I buy what I need, that gets good reviews. I don't care where it was made or by who. If I get a $100 tool and it lasts 5 years, well I only really paid 1.6 bucks a month for it, no loss.

That's why I don't have a problem with a lot of HF stuff, it works, it works well for what I need, and if it breaks no big deal buy another.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 151814
4K for a tool box from HF is crazy.
a1racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 04:59 AM   #81 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1racer View Post
4K for a tool box from HF is crazy.
No, 12k for a crapon is crazy. While I do wish it had come in at 4-5k, 7 is still a pretty damn good deal for what that is.

Can I justify it for myself...I wish, but I am just a "prosumer"(TM denoftools) level mechanic/tuner type myself. I could use the space for sure, but the entry price into the full pro boxes is just too high.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:14 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 37600
Send a message via AIM to PAToyota Send a message via Skype™ to PAToyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
diff colors of the cart are built differently!! I just bought one, and the black one had the thickest steel of them all. Go to HF and feel them out, the other colors are flimsier and bend easier. This is just the 5 drawer cart.
Even different models of the same color are built differently.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:56 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncokyle88 View Post
I grabbed one of their 3/8 comfort grip ratchets, because I’m a pussy and live where it gets cold and I don’t like holding freezing steel.
I've been using them since they came out and haven't broke one yet. I have a droor full of broken craftsman and snap-on ratchets, have lost a few others and for the price on these I'll never buy another expensive one. Only thing I don't like is the forward reverse selector is backwards of how all the other ratchets I've had my whole life, so I always switch gears at least twice every time I pick them up.

Quote:
Its hard dropping that kind of coin on HF stuff when you can pick up used Snap On and other boxes on CL in that price range
Not everyone lives in a metropolitan shithole that has a CL loaded with nice stuff for sale cheap. I can go buy a HF box an hour away and it will be there when I get there. I just checked CL in my area and the only thing comparable to what we are talking about here is a Matco for $4500 bucks 4 hours away.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
No, 12k for a crapon is crazy. While I do wish it had come in at 4-5k, 7 is still a pretty damn good deal for what that is.

Can I justify it for myself...I wish, but I am just a "prosumer"(TM denoftools) level mechanic/tuner type myself. I could use the space for sure, but the entry price into the full pro boxes is just too high.
12K for a toolbox is "hey look at my expensive tool box" The boxes are sheet metal bent to fit, welded, door guides and paint..Why 12K? Because some will pay that much..
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #85 (permalink)
Wiseguy

Member # 867108
Quote:
I have come to the point I buy what I need, that gets good reviews. I don't care where it was made or by who. If I get a $100 tool and it lasts 5 years, well I only really paid 1.6 bucks a month for it, no loss.

That's why I don't have a problem with a lot of HF stuff, it works, it works well for what I need, and if it breaks no big deal buy another.
That's pretty much my view.

John Wayne
True Grit
Bubba the Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 322034
If you are in an upper area, servicing upper end vehicles, you pretty much need snap on carts to look legit. Id still buy used though. If you get a snobby Porsche owner, and you got HF stuff, good luck getting his business.

And, not to derail, snap on sockets bits fit Very Very well. They make the difference between loosening a small ugly nut or bolt, or rounding it off. For 99% of the people it doesnt make a difference, but when youre in that 1% situation..
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Not everyone lives in a metropolitan shithole that has a CL loaded with nice stuff for sale cheap. I can go buy a HF box an hour away and it will be there when I get there. I just checked CL in my area and the only thing comparable to what we are talking about here is a Matco for $4500 bucks 4 hours away.
Sounds like you need to move
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:

Check out the Homak RS Pro line through Napa. I have their 72" with stainless top and it was $1400 delivered. Plenty of room and higher quality than the standard US General boxes.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
If you're comparing the new winch to the old 12k, you're already wrong. The old one is clearly a cheap, chinese classic warn style knock off. The new one is more like the new style warn, smitty, etc.

They're also claiming twice the no load speed of the old 12k. They don't publish speeds for either but I found an old website review of the original 12k and they say 16.4 fpm. So if the new one is truly in the 32 fpm range, that puts it slightly better than the X20 (31.4) and the Warn Evo (26.x) which I believe are the best closest comparisons.

Don't know about rope capacity on this one. I just put 100' of jacketed synthetic on my shitty superwinch and it fit, but barely. I'll likely have to pay close attention when spooling to make sure it wraps uniformly. Might be able to find a higher quality rope that's thinner that will fit.

You're basically looking at ~$50 for a comparable hook and another ~$100 for the cheapest synthetic line and $20 for a cheap fairlead on Amazon and you're still left with the shitty old slow 12k winch.

I'll still wait for real world, non-shill reviews of the new one, but if it performs as good as the posted specs, I think it's a decent deal. The smitty X2O 12k runs about $665 which is about the same you can get the HF one for after 20% ($600 if you wait for 25%) and has pretty much all the same features - same waterproof rating, wired/wireless control/synthetic line and decent hook. It does come with 98' of rope though.

I usually carry a couple straps and have my old synthetic rope made in to a long extension so the 20' shorter length doesn't worry me as much, but it would be nice to have the full 20.
The line speeds, amp draw, and rope capacities, along with a vague dimensional-ish depiction of it, are in the PDF manuals that you can download on their site.

They do claim 31.5 FPM at 60A no-load on their "new hotness" 12k. The line capacity is a bit disappointing on both (the old basic one that they coupon regularly for $300 is only 65 feet, the new one is better at 80 feet, but the Warn M12 has been 125 feet since about forever).

And the ad book I just got has a coupon for the new 12k for $600, a page or two away from one for the old one for $300. The 20/25% off coupons I've seen specfically exclude most of their "premium brand" items anyway, have to use an actual-item coupon for those.

I am curious as to what the real-world rope capacity is on both, knowing I have 150ish feet on my HS9500i (supposed to only hold 125). Is the rope length alone something they're saving money on, or is it drum size too?

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #90 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
12K for a toolbox is "hey look at my expensive tool box" The boxes are sheet metal bent to fit, welded, door guides and paint..Why 12K? Because some will pay that much..
And a lifetime warranty on slides, wheels, hinges, etc. I paid less (about the same, not much less) for a used KRL series Snapon than you will for these HF boxes and I have had drawer slides warrantied a few times in the past 10-20 years.

I open them many times a day and they are pretty heavy with tools.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
And a lifetime warranty on slides, wheels, hinges, etc. I paid less (about the same, not much less) for a used KRL series Snapon than you will for these HF boxes and I have had drawer slides warrantied a few times in the past 10-20 years.

A slide or wheel replacement several times is worth the price? I see you bought used, good move..
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #92 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:

Man it must be a bitch to have all them tools, and not the skill to replace a simple slide or caster.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Sounds like you need to move
Nah, no thanks.

You please stay put though!
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
I've been using them since they came out and haven't broke one yet. I have a droor full of broken craftsman and snap-on ratchets, have lost a few others and for the price on these I'll never buy another expensive one. Only thing I don't like is the forward reverse selector is backwards of how all the other ratchets I've had my whole life, so I always switch gears at least twice every time I pick them up.
It’s a good tool, there’s no doubt about that. Even though it feels the same in my hand as the snap on it doesn’t feel the exact same ratcheting. Not worse, just different, and I don’t like change damn it. I’ll get used to it in another couple of weeks and it won’t bother me anymore.

I have that same issue when I use different ratchets, which is why I was excited to see the switch was set up the same as snap on.
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 03:35 PM   #95 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Man it must be a bitch to have all them tools, and not the skill to replace a simple slide or caster.
The funny thing is that in the case of tool boxes, the Snapon man hands you the parts and you give him the broken stuff back after you swap them out. Or at least my Snapon man does.

Did the Snapon man break your heart or something?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:57 PM   #96 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The line speeds, amp draw, and rope capacities, along with a vague dimensional-ish depiction of it, are in the PDF manuals that you can download on their site.

They do claim 31.5 FPM at 60A no-load on their "new hotness" 12k. The line capacity is a bit disappointing on both (the old basic one that they coupon regularly for $300 is only 65 feet, the new one is better at 80 feet, but the Warn M12 has been 125 feet since about forever).

And the ad book I just got has a coupon for the new 12k for $600, a page or two away from one for the old one for $300. The 20/25% off coupons I've seen specfically exclude most of their "premium brand" items anyway, have to use an actual-item coupon for those.

I am curious as to what the real-world rope capacity is on both, knowing I have 150ish feet on my HS9500i (supposed to only hold 125). Is the rope length alone something they're saving money on, or is it drum size too?
I noticed the catalog I got last week featured the new winch and had the speed specs on it. I scanned the manual the other day and missed the speeds specs...I see that now. 31.5 isn't too shabby.

Funny thing is, the Warn Zeon that they're comparing it to only comes with 80' of rope.

I think they're a little dishonest to compare it to the $1,700 Zeon when the Warn VR Evo has almost identical specs and retails around the same - $761 on amazon right now. But that's their game and I'm not gong to pretend it's even close to a Zeon.

Looking through the manual, it does look like it has a contactor instead of solenoids. That was a concern to me since I just got new contactors delivered today to replace the solenoid packs on both of my Warns on my second beater wheeler.

Since the coupons don't exclude Badlands, they'll work on these, but like almost everything else it sounds like they already have a coupon out that gives it to you for the same price as the best % off coupon....unless it happens to go on sale without a coupon and you use the % off, which is unlikely. If they have a coupon for $600, that's the same as getting it for 25% off....which will likely be out again until Thanksgiving weekend.

If I can find that $600 coupon, I may give it a shot. The old superwinch on my primary wheeler is pretty much shot. Worst case, if I don't like it, I can deligate it to rear duty and get something nicer up front.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #97 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
The funny thing is that in the case of tool boxes, the Snapon man hands you the parts and you give him the broken stuff back after you swap them out. Or at least my Snapon man does.

Did the Snapon man break your heart or something?

Nope I am just smart enough not to pay 10x the price for the same china made stuff I can go to HF/Lowes/HD/NAPA/Etc.. and get.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #98 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
If you are in an upper area, servicing upper end vehicles, you pretty much need snap on carts to look legit. Id still buy used though. If you get a snobby Porsche owner, and you got HF stuff, good luck getting his business.

Buy HF boxes and Snap-On badges. Install. Profit.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #99 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Buy HF boxes and Snap-On badges. Install. Profit.
Or buy used Snap-on stuff.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #100 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Or buy used Snap-on stuff.
Buzzkill.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in