Pex - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 12:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I love PEX! I use the stainless crimps and for anyone curious about the new Ryobi cordless crimp tool all I can say it's amazing! I just installed an outdoor wood boiler and used 1.25 Pex underground and switched to 1" in house, used the Ryobi exclusively and love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvS1UhO9cJM
of course I have the complete arsenal of Ryobi tools in my garage so I may be partial
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 01:01 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 1760
WTF? buy the straight shit if you want straight pipe. Every store carries it.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBuilt View Post
WTF? buy the straight shit if you want straight pipe. Every store carries it.
in 20' long pieces.

If I'm roughing a hole house it's a couple of 100' roll for me to start!

Cut to size and nail it up on the floor joist straight.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
in 20' long pieces.

If I'm roughing a hole house it's a couple of 100' roll for me to start!

Cut to size and nail it up on the floor joist straight.
Are they 20's? seems like they are 10's in fact I bought 3/4"one time so I'm sure they're 10's at Home Depot. Maybe 20's at the plumbing supply places. Usually gets cut up anyway, longest run I've ever needed was about 8' . Need it to stay put because it was tied to a refrigerator that needed to be pulled out for cleaning occasionally Boss wanted a water cooler for the employees but didn't like how slow the bottles filled with the industrial model coolers. I came up with a refrigerator and a Keg tap mounted to the side, hooked to a coil of 1" pex that I shrank down and fixed to the lower half of the refrigerator. Turns out a 100' of 1" pex holds about 7 Gallons of water. Fills cups instantly with cold water. The employees love it.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 83932
We stock 5', 10' and 20' straight lengths, and various coil lengths.

A bulk coil might look funny if you are not an experienced installer but it dramatically reduces the number of joints.

That makes the system more leak proof, and costs less.

Fewer joints = fewer fittings & clamps, and fewer potential leak points.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
We stock 5', 10' and 20' straight lengths, and various coil lengths.

A bulk coil might look funny if you are not an experienced installer but it dramatically reduces the number of joints.

That makes the system more leak proof, and costs less.

Fewer joints = fewer fittings & clamps, and fewer potential leak points.
and better water flow.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 83932
more than likely.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo* View Post
Try over at The Garage Journal
Lots of threads regarding in slab radiant
Thank you
Old 10-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddeprived View Post
Any tricks to straightening this shit? I bought a roll of 3/4 and i cannot get the pieces to retain a straight form. I had part of the roll unwound and in front of the pellet stove to where it was hot but it just slowly bends back. I had no issues with 1/2".

Trying to make decent looking plumbing in the basement, which will eventually be finished.
next time buy straight lengths instead of the coils. it's the same price per foot.
PS. Fuck PEX

Last edited by bassdude; 10-27-2019 at 04:51 PM.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 44979
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
I love PEX! I use the stainless crimps and for anyone curious about the new Ryobi cordless crimp tool all I can say it's amazing! I just installed an outdoor wood boiler and used 1.25 Pex underground and switched to 1" in house, used the Ryobi exclusively and love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvS1UhO9cJM
of course I have the complete arsenal of Ryobi tools in my garage so I may be partial
Wish I would have had that a few weeks ago when I was trying to crimp some 1" up between two floor joists.
bassdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
3Cs

Member # 45122
A number of things to address here;
To clarify we use Uponor, not regular Pex. This is due to the number of failures of Pex (always the fittings from my experience), and because of the better flow rate.

PVC waterlines? Gawd that just screams hack, DIY'er, or lowest possible bidder.
I wouldn't have it in anything I owned. And PVC without using either Cleaner or Primer? No frikin' way! I've seen numerous joints come apart from doing this. The other problem with PVC waterlines is how brittle it becomes with age, and I'm talking about lines inside the house not exposed to the Sun or excessive heat.

20' lengths in a House install usually doesn't require many if any couplings since there's usually 90's or Tee's cut in along the way.

I've only used a handful of Shark fittings over the years, mostly as a tempory install or due to a desperate situation.
3Cs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 103782
For starters waterhead is a moron in this subject. Around here pvc is only aloud in a building for non pressure lines, think drains! That shit is for land scrapers and that’s it. The glue has a life span. Pex a is the best it take expand fittings for full port flow and it’s softer and bends easier. Pex b is more solid but still bends and is more consistently round, that’s why shark bite fittings work better on it. If your doing hydronics or floor heating you’ll want a pex with an O2 barrier to keep the oxygen out of your boiler and pumps.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #38 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Any owner installs here in concrete of radiant heat slab ?
ill be doing it soon in my basement

i have no idea what im doing but my plumber said keep the loops 250' long
about 6 circuits
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Pex rocks, at least the expander pex.

Redid my whole house in 2 days, solo in a crawlspace. 0 leaks, which is more than I can say for the "Professionally Installed" cpvc that was there. Also was able to pull direct to all of the shower valves where the CPVC guys had stubbed to the galvanized. No more rust showers.

The only thing I haven't done is the feed from the street the to house, waiting until I have all my digging projects lined up to rent one and knock everything out.

And shartbites suck. They aren't even a "PEX" product, they are for use in an emergency with just about everything, and much like do everything products they do it all mediocre at best

Last edited by kf4zht; 10-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.
kf4zht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:09 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 157355
I use the cinch fittings and bands.

Near impossible to get straight. I think its funny you tried to straighten it before using it... never considered that but it has to be a waste of time.

Just use the nail in holders often. The water weight and temp will bend pex.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 48233
I jus redid a good bit of plumbing in my house. replaced CPVC with PEX still some CPVC but its not a big deal yet. If the showers ever get ripped out, the remaining CPVC will be removed. Crimped most everything except where I made connections with CPVC

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:46 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Ok quick question on pex. I know recently in Washington they changed the TPRV plumbing code, finally, to no longer allow PVC as it doesn’t have the temp rating. Does pex have that temp rating? Or is it still copper, galvanized, CPVC only still?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:03 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 59610
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Ok quick question on pex. I know recently in Washington they changed the TPRV plumbing code, finally, to no longer allow PVC as it doesn’t have the temp rating. Does pex have that temp rating? Or is it still copper, galvanized, CPVC only still?

180 degrees
Old 10-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 82954
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post

Wa state. i dont know a single plumber that doesn't use propex. i haven't seen a house, new or remodel plumbed with anything else in at least 5 maybe closer to 10 years. the last copper plumbed home, on one of my jobs, i can recall was 15years ago. i'm in the islands up north, island/ skagit county is my main service area, live in about as far north on Whidbey Is. as you can get. maybe its different where your at.

cpvc i've only ever seen used in mobile/ manufactured homes. or the east side.
tracyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
Wa state. i dont know a single plumber that doesn't use propex. i haven't seen a house, new or remodel plumbed with anything else in at least 5 maybe closer to 10 years. the last copper plumbed home, on one of my jobs, i can recall was 15years ago. i'm in the islands up north, island/ skagit county is my main service area, live in about as far north on Whidbey Is. as you can get. maybe its different where your at.

cpvc i've only ever seen used in mobile/ manufactured homes. or the east side.

I see a lot of cpvc on 2000’s manufactured homes for whole house plumbing and a lot on stick built for 90’s-early 2000’s. I see pvc on TPRV plumbing everywhere and its not temp rated. Also looked at a new install manufacturer home about 2 weeks ago that was copper. Go figure.

Most new construction I see is pex. I have noticed they are upsizing it for multiple story houses. Inspected a mini mega-mansion on lake washington in Seattle probably 6 years ago now and with 1/2” pex throughout you had about 2psi on the 3rd floor. They had to install a booster pump so they could use the master bathroom. ?

I am in far east lewis county and we are closer to E. Washington’s climate than W. Washington’s so that maybe has something to do with it?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Meh, did industrial equipment plumbing for over 40 yrs. Each material has their pluses and minuses particularly if folks misapply for a given application AND over time or screw up on the install.

Ive seen Copper corrode/erode at els and tee due to wrong size being used cuz folks were cheap.

Ive seen SST pipe get corroded in an acid evaprator tank and get replaced 2x in 3 yrs cuz folks didnt want to respec the sst grade and schedule for cost reasons.

Ive seen PVC literally get shot across a warehouse and imbed in the opposite wall cuz folks were being cheap and used PVC instead of SST on an exhaust line that detonated when a line with Hydrogen just above the LEL ignited when an electrostatic precipitator arced.

I just had the pleasure of yanking drywall in a room because the guy that did the bathroom used PTFE tape on a PEX-1/2NPT valve fitting incorrectly, it wasn't pressure tested properly (or at all is my guess) and I'm repairing the damages from a 2 yr old continuous leak...

Ultimately it boils down to poor workmanship and/or misspec of the material for the application.

Bottom line?
Get it right the 1st time.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
ill be doing it soon in my basement

i have no idea what im doing but my plumber said keep the loops 250' long
about 6 circuits
Go the https://www.radiantec.com/ site and what Jimbo said. Lot's of misinformation in this thread. - giz

Just my $0.02. Some of this noise is about hack job plumbing. When you install in a pcc slab you get one chance. I would re-think your approach about using PBB in any depth and relying on and Home Depot shit.

Last edited by Lil Uzi; 10-28-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Lil Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Soulless ginger

Member # 124369
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Cs View Post

And PVC without using either Cleaner or Primer? No frikin' way! I've seen numerous joints come apart from doing this.
We've assembled literally hundreds of miles of PVC without cleaner or primer, with glue joint failures I can can count on one hand. Granted, that's clean, new pipe, and it's buried so it can't really go anywhere if it wanted to. Repairs always get the full treatment.

My only gripe with PEX is a marginally smaller ID on the pipe. Told a plumber we needed a 1" backflow to feed a 1.5" main. He fed about 15' of 1" PEX out of a riser room and it choked the flow down to the point the system wouldn't work as designed.

In a house I'd still prefer copper. But, it costs an arm and a leg comparatively, and lots of plumbers just won't do it because they don't want to be on one job that long.
landscraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Meh, did industrial equipment plumbing for over 40 yrs. Each material has their pluses and minuses particularly if folks misapply for a given application AND over time or screw up on the install.

Ive seen Copper corrode/erode at els and tee due to wrong size being used cuz folks were cheap.

Ive seen SST pipe get corroded in an acid evaprator tank and get replaced 2x in 3 yrs cuz folks didnt want to respec the sst grade and schedule for cost reasons.

Ive seen PVC literally get shot across a warehouse and imbed in the opposite wall cuz folks were being cheap and used PVC instead of SST on an exhaust line that detonated when a line with Hydrogen just above the LEL ignited when an electrostatic precipitator arced.

I just had the pleasure of yanking drywall in a room because the guy that did the bathroom used PTFE tape on a PEX-1/2NPT valve fitting incorrectly, it wasn't pressure tested properly (or at all is my guess) and I'm repairing the damages from a 2 yr old continuous leak...

Ultimately it boils down to poor workmanship and/or misspec of the material for the application.

Bottom line?
Get it right the 1st time.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 860424
Rats. This is my biggest concern with using pex.Name:  20190625_110731_1572314322520.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  31.9 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in