Do we need another boot thread? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 20331
I like redwings, the 2218ís last me years.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 103154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridenby View Post
https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-usmc-wa...f-combat-boots
These fit and wear well. Last 8-10 months in wet,acidic,concrete enviorment.
Those are great boots, I have a couple pairs.
They are cheaper at the army surplus store.
whatafkwasat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Bought a pair of American made Danners. They were good boots, but the soles wore out pretty quick. (Admittedly Iím hard on boots) Sent em in to be reconditioned. They never felt the same after that. Sitting in the closet now because of foot pain the only thing I can wear is sketchers. The soft insole helps the pain a lot.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 29900
If I were you I would check out Hoffman Boots in Kellog and Franks Boots in Spocomton before making a decision.

Nick's was bought out by someone out of Seattle. Was told it was some investor. Prices have gone up but I don't about any manufacturing or quality changes. Franks is the old general manager of Nick's and he's operating out of Nick's old shop. He's getting a bunch of the old Nick's business.

Whites was bought out by a Japanese(?) company. I tried a pair on the other day and something doesn't feel the same. The price has jumped a bunch too.

I've been wearing some redwing heritage boots for work. The midsole curled on them inside of a year and that means shitty leather to me. I'm afraid the hipster market has become too important to them.

My last pair of Danners (Elk hunters) really suck. They seem to fit well but hurt my feet and blister them bad. I need a replacement and really want Russell's but can't justify them unless I can get the hunting miles I want. I'm really considering the Santiam Danners hoping the different last will be like all of my other boots. But I'm going to talk to Hoffman first.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 14620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
Bought a pair of American made Danners. They were good boots, but the soles wore out pretty quick. (Admittedly Iím hard on boots) Sent em in to be reconditioned. They never felt the same after that. Sitting in the closet now because of foot pain the only thing I can wear is sketchers. The soft insole helps the pain a lot.
Did they send them back with new insoles? If not, thatís likely the problem.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 230823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Call View Post
Yeah, throw in trash and start over.
Thanks Boss.
Twankie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 02:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 14620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twankie View Post
Left my spare twistedx boots in my pos Cherokee for a few weeks and now they are a bit moldy/stinky. Any recommendations for a simple sterilization?
Do you have a boot dryer? If not, get one.
The mold is easy to get rid of. Wipe it away with a soapy washcloth and then wipe with a watered washcloth. Place on boot dryer and you are done.

I just did a quick search for a boot dryer. They still cost $30. I’ve had mine 23 years.
It will dry sneakers from the washing machine in eight hours.

Last edited by BamaJeeper; 10-28-2019 at 02:49 AM.
BamaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 06:22 AM   #33 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
i hate boots
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post

I thought about getting some really pricey boots but Iím way to hard on them. I think itís the constant up and down the ladders on my crushers. A fat guy putting all his weight on the arch of the boot does it. Iím sure if I lost some weight the boots would last longer lol.

Another problem I have is Iím constantly in the water and mud. This causes the stitching to beak down and the boot literally take themselves apart over time. Iíll be watching to see what everyone has luck with.
As a fellow fat ass who climbs on shit a lot, you might want to look into something made for lineman and arborist. A lineman shank is longer and thicker, it spreads the weight out over your foot better and wonít flex anywhere near as much climbing shit.

Do you have a boot dryer? If not get one and start hosing the mud off every day and stuff them on the dryer when you arenít wearing them. Keeping them dry goes a long way in preserving the stitching. And oil them every month or so to keep the leather flexible and in good shape. You wouldnít put any of your Milwaukee shit away covered in mud, and boots are a tool just the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
$5-$600 for a 5 year boot that requires 1-2 resoles in that time frame? My US made danners were $230, lasted me 5 years in a heavy duty diesel repair shop with no resoles required in those 5 years. I wore them 14-16 hours a day, and I was on my feet for at least 85% of that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Yeah i dont see it either.

$600 boot + 2 resoles at $80-$120 per resole = $800+

At 5-years, that still $160+ per year.

IO have a few co-workers that are wearing the Danner Quarry, and are getting 2-3 years out of a sole, and 6-8 years out of the boot, even when absolutely abused. That a $300 + 2 resoles for 8 years Works out to well less than $100 per year.
The math might not work out for you, but it does for me. Iím pushing 300lbs, constantly climbing on shit, cramming my fat ass places it doesnít belong, rolling around in grease, oil, mud, water, and gravel. Between my full time job and helping my buddy with his excavation/landscaping business (mostly fixing shit he broke, plus labor when everything is running good) Iím in them 14-18 hours a day, 6 days a week. I was getting maybe a little over a year out of us made red wings and danners. I get easily 2 years out of the sole of nicks or jks, and at 5 they are due for a rebuild. And the reason for the rebuild is always the same. The stitching on the lower leather part of the boot comes apart on the outside of the right boot. I believe it happens because that is the portion I drag against the ground when my fat ass is crawling under something, so dirt and shit is abrading the stitching away over 5 years. And when it does let go it isnít a catastrophic failure, the boot just gets a little loose and the leather separates a little, not completely blowing apart like used to happen with red wings

Iím not going to argue boots. they are a great option if the math works out for you. The numbers donít work for everyone though, and thatís cool.
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 121866
Iím on my 2nd pair of USA Danner quarryís. This pair is at the point where there is little tread left on the soles, stitching is coming apart, etc. I think I started wearing this pair a little under 2 years ago.

I started wearing some danner bull run moc toes when I was at the office for a month, and I think they are pretty comfortable, but back on the job site I went back to my old beat up quarry boots. I do have a new set of USA quarry at the house to replace these ones when they need to be retired.

My first two pairs of danners came with some ďfatigue fighterĒ insoles that were really comfortable, the third pair of quarryís I bought did not, those insoles are much thinner, I ended up buying better insoles for those.

I have been considering trying other brands just because all I have ever really tried were super cheap boots and then these Danners which I have liked.
904_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
it's pretty simple. Buy US or Germany (or similar Europe area's) made. Resoleable is nice as that seems to be what wear out on mine.

I like my Lowa's Zephers, no break in needed. Probably not up for hard daily use though.
Im looking for an everyday/work boot. We have a legit cobbler in town that happens to sell Danners, so Im giving them a go.

My backpacking boots are Lowa Tibets. They are 10+ year old now, and were treated to a resole just last season. I save them for backpacking only. I must have 500+ hard miles on them backpacking, and besides one or two popped stitches which the cobbler easily repaired, they have been bomb proof.

I do live just south of spokane, and have considered time and time again to go whites/nicks/franks. But I would have to go with 100% custom boots as none of the off the shelf boots they make that the cobbler stocks come even close to fitting my narrow feet. Danners run considerably narrower, and with the correct insole they fit well.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Anyone here have duck feet like me? I'm looking for flat sole boots wider then 2e. I can squeeze into a 2e but in a matter of weeks I have the leather blown out and my foot hanging over the edge of the sole on both sides
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I bought a pair of Thorogoods last month. I like them a lot. USA made timber boot with steel toe. Got them on clearance at a local mom and pop shop. They were the first pair of boots I'd bought in 10 years. My old work boots finally died when the welt couldn't be repaired.

A week after I bought the Thorogoods, we were driving up in northern Arkansas on our way to go camping when we saw this shit hole antiques place. We stopped in just to look around for the hell of it. I guess the owner did leather work at one time. He had walls of old cowboy boots. Well, I saw a pair that called to me, so tried them on. Sure as shit they fit perfectly and not only that, they were the most comfortable boots I've ever had on my feet! The real icing is they are steel toe, which I need. I gave $35 and I love them! They do not have a brand, tag, size or any markings on them. I'm pretty sure they are as old as I am. But they have rubber soles, which is perfect for working in. They better be rebuildable by my cobbler when I wear them out. They might well be my favorite footwear to date.

Last edited by Action Fab; 10-28-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 230823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeeper View Post
Do you have a boot dryer? If not, get one.
The mold is easy to get rid of. Wipe it away with a soapy washcloth and then wipe with a watered washcloth. Place on boot dryer and you are done.

I just did a quick search for a boot dryer. They still cost $30. Iíve had mine 23 years.
It will dry sneakers from the washing machine in eight hours.
No but I will look for one now. Thanks
Twankie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASHO View Post
Yeah i dont see it either.

$600 boot + 2 resoles at $80-$120 per resole = $800+

At 5-years, that still $160+ per year.

IO have a few co-workers that are wearing the Danner Quarry, and are getting 2-3 years out of a sole, and 6-8 years out of the boot, even when absolutely abused. That a $300 + 2 resoles for 8 years Works out to well less than $100 per year.
That's 5 years for guys who are in tough shit all day, where danners last maybe a year. Then the nicks/whites can be rebuilt for about 1/2 price and go another 5 years. I've had 3 or 4 pairs of danners and I like them. But now that I'm working on slopes, around logs and generally fucked up ground, I'm thinking about switching to a more expensive boot. I got my last pair of danners about 9 months ago and they aren't looking great. To their defense, I'm not good at keeping them oiled.

So either they are being "absolutely abused" or lasting 6-8 years. I can't see both.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2019, 10:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 29900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Anyone here have duck feet like me? I'm looking for flat sole boots wider then 2e. I can squeeze into a 2e but in a matter of weeks I have the leather blown out and my foot hanging over the edge of the sole on both sides
Mine are pretty wide. EE unless I'm wearing thin socks. My foot is more narrow towards the heel. Almost all listed above have them and Danner does now too but watch witch last it is and definitely try them on.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 06:28 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 83932
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
That's 5 years for guys who are in tough shit all day, where danners last maybe a year. Then the nicks/whites can be rebuilt for about 1/2 price and go another 5 years. I've had 3 or 4 pairs of danners and I like them. But now that I'm working on slopes, around logs and generally fucked up ground, I'm thinking about switching to a more expensive boot. I got my last pair of danners about 9 months ago and they aren't looking great. To their defense, I'm not good at keeping them oiled.

So either they are being "absolutely abused" or lasting 6-8 years. I can't see both.

Your right, "neglected" would be a much better term to use.

In them every day for 10+ hours at a time, hot blacktop & concrete, hunting, hiking, winter ice, deicer, snow, rain, etc.... But never cleaning or oiling them.

@ 6-8 years of service, the uppers start to fail. The leather itself cracks, breaks and goes to dust. No other failures are typically seen.

With the same usage, but actually caring for them I can see myself getting 10+ year out of them, with an occasional resoles.

All that said, I picked up my pair yesterday on my lunch break, and have been running them since. I took a second set of shoes today, some cheap light hikers, as I didnt think Id want to be in the new boots all day.

I was wrong. After barely more than a day they are already feeling very good. No hot spots, great support, and forming to my foot great.

Heal was lifting right out of the box, but a simple re-lace using my typical backpacking lace technique did it. Incredible, and 100% satisfied so far.

I also weighed them this evening to compare to my 10+ year old Lowa backpacking boots...

My of Lowa Tibets weigh in at 865grams each

New Danner Quarrys weigh in at 945grams each.

The different isnt even noticeable, and being a 8" vs 6" boot, I find them nice and lightweight.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 25603
Send a message via Yahoo to johnny_boy02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
$5-$600 for a 5 year boot that requires 1-2 resoles in that time frame? My US made danners were $230, lasted me 5 years in a heavy duty diesel repair shop with no resoles required in those 5 years. I wore them 14-16 hours a day, and I was on my feet for at least 85% of that time.
With Nick's and the like you are paying for a few things. Made in the USA, they actually measure your feet and build the boots, semi custom options, etc. You may or may not need to have them resoled depending on work environment. I work in the dirt and never wear out soles.

For someone like me that has a horrible time finding comfortable boots a couple extra hundred dollars is not bad. Not to mention my last pair of Redwings were over $400 so a bit more for nice fitting boots doesnt seem outrageous.

But, the DannerQuarry's are nice boots. I also really like Thorogoods.
johnny_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I just don't see how you can get 6-8 years out of Danner quarrys. I get 2 maybe 3 years and I don't think I'm particularly abusive to them. I even use a boot dryer every night, which supposedly helps the leather last longer since too much moisture on the inside of the boot is bad.

Are you resoleing them?

Maybe you just really don't do anything all day?

I do like the quarrys, I feel like they are a great boot for the price. I just also see where the high end boots come into play with firemen, loggers, linemen, ect.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 20099
My Dad ran Redwings since the mid 80s until a few years ago. He used to be able to get about 2 years out of a pair and they were comfortable after broken it.

The last several pairs, he got at best 6 months out of them and they tortured his feet. They'd literally fall apart, like sole would crack in pieces, or come off or pieces of leather would unglue/unstitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
I have just come to the realization that I need to buy new boots every year. I could get 2-3 years out of the old USA made redwings. The new ones not so much. To add to the fact the mom and pop boot store no longer can sell redwings so I get the $250 timberlands. The timberlands I can only make last one year before I got them destroyed.

I thought about getting some really pricey boots but I’m way to hard on them. I think it’s the constant up and down the ladders on my crushers. A fat guy putting all his weight on the arch of the boot does it. I’m sure if I lost some weight the boots would last longer lol.

Another problem I have is I’m constantly in the water and mud. This causes the stitching to beak down and the boot literally take themselves apart over time. I’ll be watching to see what everyone has luck with.

I had a pair of White's that were custom made to my feet. I thought they'd be the best fitting boots I'd ever had, but they were actually murder on my back and feet. I ended up selling them for pennies on the dollar after they sat on the boot rack for 4 or 5 years.

I have a $350 pair of Danners that aren't a ton better. I can stand them for 2hrs, 3hrs tops and then have to not wear for several days since they destroyed my feet.
I've never had issues like that with the $60 Walmart steel toe boots. They last about a year or so.

As far as logging boots... that's what I do. My buddy as well, he often wears sneakers. No idea how he can do it, myself, I need the support of a boot.

Last edited by nate379; 10-30-2019 at 10:59 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2019, 07:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Red Wing stopped making the 4425's I've been wearing for years and don't offer a Gore Tex Steel Toe with a normal, non puncture resistant sole. So I guess I'm in the market.

I wear Belleville soft toes for woods and wheeling stuff, they're like wearing tennis shoes. May have to give their steel toes a shot for work.

I hate wet feet and I'm a sucker for Gore Tex because it's never let me down and I like the real shit. Tried the Ariat Waterproof stuff, It was junk, I gave them away, Wolverine Hikers, were junk, hurt like hell after a few hours, they are on the shelf in the office in case I forget my Red Wings or have to loan them to someone.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in