Looking for rope rigging items - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Looking for rope rigging items

Bull rope,mountaineer, zip line types...
I have a 300' hank of 3\8" pull line with pull loops on 2 ends. (Edit#4500 working load.)
I want to rig this up as a zip line in my back yard, (edit around a 150' run 6' decell spring on the end!) and also be able to shorten the run without cutting it.
So I can use it on the trail by hooking it to the winch to tension it.... (Edit a shorter run like -100')
So I need some way to attach a loop anywhere along the run.
I have looked at ascend\desender devices,(edit rope grab) prussic,belay,nothing quick and easy that is not permanently attached.
This needs to have a working limit something around (edit to sustain not rated at) #250-300 (for the big boys).
(Edit, the device needs to carry #300)

Google let me down.
Before I go outta town to find a store, thought I'd try here...
Thanx for lookin

Last edited by clb 017; 10-30-2019 at 09:39 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 39826
You might be able to get creative with one of these. We have a couple at work but I haven't tried to do what you need to with it.

https://www.sherrilltree.com/tree-ri...ging-connector

Last edited by Ak_F250; 10-30-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Ak_F250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 684914
Punch "rope grab for 3/8 rope" into Google. The ones we use at work are for 5/8 or 3/4 inch safety lines but it looks like they make something that work for you
D Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 48401
I made a zip line many years go, we used a come along permanently installed to adjust tension.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist View Post
I made a zip line many years go, we used a come along permanently installed to adjust tension.
x2 we did the same as kids, although the rope broke when i was on it
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 1889
The 40' zip line my kids have has a 2" ratchet strap for tension and it's everything I can do to put enough tension in that for a 60 pound kid. I'm thinking a 300' line and a 300 pound rider is going to take more tension than a friction rope grabber can do. Even if I'm misreading the 300 pound thing, you'll need way more than 300 pounds of tension to hold up a small kid on a 300' span.

If it's single braid winch line, just splice an eye into it when/where you want, and take it back out when you don't need it. Or you can easily enough make a single-eye piece of rope, bury it a few feet deep into the main line, pull, and scrunch it to remove later.

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
We had a 200' one made of 3/8 cable and would use a 2 ton chain come a long to tighten it and it was only bairly enough
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
And google "rope grab"
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Portawrap is what you're looking for. Easy peasy to homebrew one.

Name:  Port-A-Wrap-Small.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  16.0 KB

Name:  tÚlÚchargement.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  11.7 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.

Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; 10-30-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak_F250 View Post
You might be able to get creative with one of these. We have a couple at work but I haven't tried to do what you need to with it.

EdIT
That could work, thanx

https://www.sherrilltree.com/tree-ri...ging-connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Nelly View Post
Punch "rope grab for 3/8 rope" into Google. The ones we use at work are for 5/8 or 3/4 inch safety lines but it looks like they make something that work for you
Saw that, good catch.
The issue is the working load and tension on it.
Along with the crush factor.
A prussic works similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeTerrorist View Post
In the yard that's an option for sure the winch is for the trail.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Saw that, good catch.
The issue is the working load and tension on it.
Along with the crush factor.
A prussic works similar.

In the yard that's an option for sure the winch is for the trail.
Did you see what I posted?

With that thing you can pay out whatever length of rope you like, then wrap it and secure and it will absolutely not damage the rope. Connect your come-a-long or winch to the portawrap and put your tension on the rope.

Also, you do not need to feed the entire length of rope through the device, just pass a loop through the device and wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.

Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; 10-30-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Well my effing tablet shit the bed... I missed post 5 onward...
Time to go back and read...
Brb
Thanx guys
Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
I don’t think a 300’ foot 3/8 rope is gonna hold a 250 pound dude up. 3/8” cable yes. A 3/8” rope might work for 50-100 feet but even then, your gonna sag like 6-8’.

I’ll share a zip line tragedy in hopes you learn something. A college buddy of mine put up a sweet zip line at his house. He was smart but always making stupid errors. I always teased him that if he ever got a job designing cars or airplanes left me know so I could steer clear of that brand.

With that said he had put up a 250’ long zip line in his front yard. The line was sweet as it went from a treehouse through the woods. Of course there was a hill between the start and finish. He had to cut down a bunch of saplings so you could cross without hitting them. The first couple trips down everything went smoothly. The only problem he had was he had to jump to hook himself. He ordered a small extension so he didn’t have to jump to get on.

The first time he used the extension everything was going good till he got to the small hill. What does a guy do when he is gonna hit the ground. Pick your legs up of course. Well you’ll never guess what you lowest point of your body is when your on a zip line picking you legs up.

Well as his wife described it, it looked like f14 landing on a aircraft carrier. He was comming in hot and when he picked up his legs his balls hooked a small sapling stump. He came to a instant stop.

His wife said it was not good. His balls turned purple and swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. To proud to go the Er, his wife ended sending pictures to his BIl who is a doctor lol. He had to take the next week off work because he could hardly move. Even when he went back to work he needed to carry around one of those ring pillows to sit on. He said it was a long 3 weeks if getting harassed at work during his healing period.

Last edited by Thepanzerfuhrer; 10-30-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
We had a 200' one made of 3/8 cable and would use a 2 ton chain come a long to tighten it and it was only bairly enough
edit That's why I was thinking on the winch tensioner, (still engineering the details)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
And google "rope grab"

Edit see post 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
Portawrap is what you're looking for. Easy peasy to homebrew one.

Edit oh hell yea

Attachment 2949774

Attachment 2949776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckin_Slusher View Post
Did you see what I posted?

Edit "like"

With that thing you can pay out whatever length of rope you like, then wrap it and secure and it will absolutely not damage the rope. Connect your come-a-long or winch to the portawrap and put your tension on the rope.

Also, you do not need to feed the entire length of rope through the device, just pass a loop through the device and wrap.
I was thinking figure eight descender at first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The 40' zip line my kids have has a 2" ratchet strap for tension and it's everything I can do to put enough tension in that for a 60 pound kid. I'm thinking a 300' line and a 300 pound rider is going to take more tension than a friction rope grabber can do. Even if I'm misreading the 300 pound thing, you'll need way more than 300 pounds of tension to hold up a small kid on a 300' span.
hitting right at 150' in the yard, less on the trail!
No way to hang a fot guy on 300' of 3\8" dual braid pull line.

If it's single braid winch line, just splice an eye into it when/where you want, and take it back out when you don't need it. Or you can easily enough make a single-eye piece of rope, bury it a few feet deep into the main line, pull, and scrunch it to remove later.
twist rope has to much stretch.
The dual braid has a 4500# working load

Last edited by clb 017; 10-30-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Sorry the EDIT placement is kinda phawked
Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Learn how to tie a Wireman's knot. When I was in the Army we'd practice doing a tactical one rope bridge. Used a wireman's knot, a few carabiners, and a rope technique called "transport tightening system" to tension the rope. We'd add two carabiners in the wraps on the wireman's knot so it wouldn't get so tight you couldn't untie it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 3-97.61 Military Mountaineering
7-11. INSTALLATION USING TRANSPORT TIGHTENING SYSTEM
The transport tightening system provides a mechanical advantage without requiring additional equipment. a. The rope must first be anchored on the far side of the obstacle. If crossing a stream, the swimmer must be belayed across. If crossing a ravine or gorge, crossing may involve rappelling and a roped climb. Once across, the swimmer/climber will temporarily anchor the installation rope. b. One man on the near side ties a fixed-loop knot (for example, wireman’s,figure-eight slip knot) approximately 3 feet from the near side anchor and places the carabiner into the loop of the knot. The opening gate must be up and away from the loop. If two carabiners are used, the gates will be opposing. At that time, soldiers route the remainder of the rope around the near side anchor point and hook the rope into the carabiner. This system is known as a transport-tightening system (Figure 7-10).
Name:  7-10.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  52.4 KB

The man on the far side pulls the knot out four to six feet from the near anchor.c. Once the knot has been pulled out, the far side man anchors the rope using a tensionless anchor. The anchor should be waist high.

7-16d. A three-man pull team on the near side pulls the slack out of the installation rope.The knot should be close enough to the near side anchor to allow personnel to easily loadthe installation.Note:No more than three personnel should be used to tighten the rope. Using more personnel can over-tighten the rope and bring the rope critically close to failure.e. The rope the can be secured using one of three methods: transport knot (Figure7-11), round turn around anchor and two half hitches on a bight (Figure 7-12), or a tensionless anchor knot (Figure 7-13

Name:  TTS round turn 2 half hitch.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  54.2 KB

And...MAKE SURE that there is a safe place to stop at the end. Test with a sand bag or a log. We nearly killed a buddy of mine in high school setting up a zip line. Luckily he bailed out about halfway down and only ended up with some bruised ribs instead of splattered at the bottom.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by guidolyons; 10-30-2019 at 08:22 PM.
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
This needs to have a working limit something around #250-300 (for the big boys).
no, it needs a working load limit of multiple thousands of pounds

ever have a rope but no winch, and move shit around by tightening the rope then pulling the rope away from the tight straight run? When a rope is straight between two things and you put a couple hundred pounds of force on the middle you multiply that force by a huge amount when it is close to straight. I'll google you up a calculator for it...

https://www.ropelab.com.au/highline-tension-calculator/
here, toss in 300' span, 10' sag and 300lb weight, you've got 2,255lbs of tension in that rope
make it 1' of sag and the tension shoots up to 22,500lbs!
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 166307
[QUOTE=Thepanzerfuhrer;44666724]I don’t think a 300’ foot 3/8 rope is gonna hold a 250 pound dude up. 3/8” cable yes. A 3/8” rope might work for 50-100 feet but even then, your gonna sag like 6-8’.

Edit
Good info, thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Learn how to tie a Wireman's knot. When I was in the Army we'd practice doing a tactical one rope bridge. Used a wireman's knot, a few carabiners, and a rope technique called "transport tightening system" to tension the rope. We'd add two carabiners in the wraps on the wireman's knot so it wouldn't get so tight you couldn't untie it.

And...MAKE SURE that there is a safe place to stop at the end. Test with a sand bag or a log. We nearly killed a buddy of mine in high school setting up a zip line. Luckily he bailed out about halfway down and only ended up with some bruised ribs instead of splattered at the bottom.

Edit this looks RIGHT on point

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
no, it needs a working load limit of multiple thousands of pounds

Edit typo...

ever have a rope but no winch, and move shit around by tightening the rope then pulling the rope away from the tight straight run? When a rope is straight between two things and you put a couple hundred pounds of force on the middle you multiply that force by a huge amount when it is close to straight. I'll google you up a calculator for it...

https://www.ropelab.com.au/highline-tension-calculator/
here, toss in 300' span, 10' sag and 300lb weight, you've got 2,255lbs of tension in that rope
make it 1' of sag and the tension shoots up to 22,500lbs!
Awesome thanx!

Last edited by clb 017; 10-30-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in