Composite decking - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
Composite decking

trying to figure out if its worth to use cheaper homodepot VERANDA composite boards, or do my deck with PT deck boards

is this 3 sided capped composite any good
trying to do this on cheap

PT is 14$
veranda 16' boards are 26$
azak product is 62$ /16'
trex 36$ /16'

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...G-12/204995139

i cant afford the azak so thats out
porch is 350sq/ft framed 16" o.c., 20" off the ground covered by roof

its about 1800$ in veranda stuff
or 700$ for PT

what to do ?

anybody used home depot stuff?
fredycruger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 55396
16" oc is gonna be a bit springy with the synthetic products. if you read the fine print in their installation guide, they recommend 12" oc to improve rigidity.

that said, for a covered porch, i'd just go with PT and stain/seal as needed down the road.

Last edited by WTF?; 11-15-2019 at 02:30 PM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166307
F.W.I.W
The last decks I did with composite all 3 heave,creak, crackle, pop in the heat (not to mention burn yer feet in direct sun, not your issue) ...
+1 on span.
Pt out here is a joke.
What about sheeting it then do a lifedeck or urethane, or similar?

Last edited by clb 017; 11-15-2019 at 02:45 PM.
clb 017 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Yup. 16 oc is not good for composite. My porch and deck are trex trancend on 12 inch centers and hidden fasteners. Expensive but I'll never have to mess with it again.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Soulless ginger

Member # 124369
I'd give it a shot. Weathering will be lessened since its covered and hidden fasteners look so much cleaner.
landscraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
16" oc is gonna be a bit springy with the synthetic products. if you read the fine print in their installation guide, they recommend 12" oc to improve rigidity.

that said, for a covered porch, i'd just go with PT and stain/seal as needed down the road.
Friend did his deck this summer and I could have sworn 12" OC was normal, but when I brought it up, apparently the new stuff is ok on 24" OC, and 16" is overkill.
Dunno. This was from the Trex people at Lowes.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4387
The stuff I used (fiberon) was good for 16” oc, but does feel a bit springy. Not bad though.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
CSP

Member # 1533
My 12yo Timbertech composite isn't springy @ 16" centers at all. It isn't three side stuff, but not the top of the line either.

Hasn't buckled, cracked or done anything noticeable since the install. I go out in 90+ degree heat all the time barefooted too.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 06:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
i will go with PT and stain

from what i found 3 sided composite is crap
and cant afford azak boards that would be 6K in boards
Old 11-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Unless the quality has vastly improved in the last 10 years, I wouldn't recommend composite decking to anyone. It doesn't weather any better than pressure treated and sealed lumber, is hot and becomes spongy in direct sunlight, and doesn't hold the color. We used Trex for all the decks and outdoor stairs on my parents house. Even the decks that are covered faded within a couple years. The stair treads flex if you weigh over 150lbs. The deck and stair case that is in the sun 90% of the year has "dried" out so bad that the boards are rough and the material flakes off when you scrape your foot across them. The color faded from a tan/sand color to white/grey in under 5 years and the manufacturer would do nothing about warrantying, even though they offered a 10 year satisfaction guarantee at the time of purchase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
Unless the quality has vastly improved in the last 10 years, I wouldn't recommend composite decking to anyone. It doesn't weather any better than pressure treated and sealed lumber, is hot and becomes spongy in direct sunlight, and doesn't hold the color. We used Trex for all the decks and outdoor stairs on my parents house. Even the decks that are covered faded within a couple years. The stair treads flex if you weigh over 150lbs. The deck and stair case that is in the sun 90% of the year has "dried" out so bad that the boards are rough and the material flakes off when you scrape your foot across them. The color faded from a tan/sand color to white/grey in under 5 years and the manufacturer would do nothing about warrantying, even though they offered a 10 year satisfaction guarantee at the time of purchase.
thanks for your input . seams there is lot of ppl with similar opinion
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 14010
Send a message via AIM to 87yj38
I'm VP of our family treated lumber wholesale business, so I may be able to help a little on material selection.
Of the composites listed in this thread, Timbertech is the one I would choose over the others. We prefer not to sell Trex or similar products as we see TT hold it's color and shape for a longer time than others.
That being said, I always suggest using 2x material on a deck surface to customers. The #2 stuff you see at any home improvement or lumberyard is going to be wet and will not last as long as advertised. It's young growth and not very dense. Besides, the #2 of today is junk compared to the same from 20+ years ago.
I prefer to sell #1 KDAT from Culpeper Wood Preservers or a KDAT #2 Prime. Most east coast yards can order from Culpeper through Weyerhauser Distribution. If the your yard has a good relationship with it's treater, you can ask them to have the wet #2 kiln dried after treatment for an additonal special order cost.
I don't like 5/4 as it will twist and check as it dries. Plus the added thickness of 2x material will last longer IMO.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Yup. 16 oc is not good for composite. My porch and deck are trex trancend on 12 inch centers and hidden fasteners. Expensive but I'll never have to mess with it again.
Ditto...except for the brand used and larger spacing than the hidden make. I used Timbertek about 1.5-2" thick and shaped like a pair of c channels welded together.

My primary deck covers the roof on the lower part of the house, is 800 sq ft. SE facing and constructed 12" OC on pressure treated stringers with caps between the planks and the stringers, 3/16" spacing between planks for drainage and ventilation between the roof and the backside of the deck planks.

When I moved in to the house in 2010 the deck was rotted out under the eves. It was replaced with new wood including stringers in 2011. Even after replacing everything and painting all 4 sides of the planks (2x6) with deck paint guaranteed to last 8 yr, I was repainting every 2 and had to rebuild this past summer with the Timbertek because it had literally rotted out again...

We looked at wood (redwood) vs. other brands/grades of composite, cost is pretty much a wash per plank. Our experience with other wood types or pressure treated, associated paint/stains plus annual upkeep maintenance makes it fall in to the category of boat ownership. Something I would rather avoid and $ I would rather spend elsewhere.

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 11-18-2019 at 10:43 AM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 45243
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
trying to figure out if its worth to use cheaper homodepot VERANDA composite boards, or do my deck with PT deck boards

is this 3 sided capped composite any good
trying to do this on cheap

PT is 14$
veranda 16' boards are 26$
azak product is 62$ /16'
trex 36$ /16'

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-...G-12/204995139

i cant afford the azak so thats out
porch is 350sq/ft framed 16" o.c., 20" off the ground covered by roof

its about 1800$ in veranda stuff
or 700$ for PT

what to do ?

anybody used home depot stuff?
I used the home depot 16' tan stuff for some walkway, and 2 small decks.
Looked great when I sold the house...no issues with it....even with rain/sun and dogs running around on it for 4-5 months....looked good when I showed the house.
Must use 12" O/C framing....its a little on the flexy side.
Once installed, it was solid....even for big folks.
It never twisted or bowed after install.
If the ends are exposed, you will have to paint them.
So I submerged my deck boards into the frame box, and just used some spray paint to get a close color match after they were cut.

I have no long-term information on longevity.
Should be good for at least 8-10 years...maybe longer I would imagine if it's maintained.
ToddRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2019, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
I just got done rebuilding our deck with Menards cedar tone pt lumber. It is considerably more dense than the regular pt lumber. It looks great and wasn't that much more money than the regular pt.
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in