Working for a pot grow operation, career suicide? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Working for a pot grow operation, career suicide?

Browsing linkedin jobs the other day and found a job that I meet just about all the criteria on. Very innocuous name, until I looked it up and turns out it's a pot grow operation. Further research shows they have done positive news stories on them ahead of the legalization here and evreyone looks "legit", not a bunch of hippies with dreads playing with pot plants. Curious to the p4x4 hireing managers out there, would this be suicide on a resume if you saw it, especially if It was a safety manager role? The role at the grow op is for a safety manager job.

Personally its dumb it isnt legal, and I havent partaked since college 15yrs ago to put this into some perspective.

Last edited by Gslander; 11-16-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 79509
I wouldnt take "safety manager" on a resume seriously
Old 11-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I wouldnt take "safety manager" on a resume seriously
LOL!! Its an easy job that pays well, and 99% of the people in the field are idiots so it's easy to stand out if you have half a brain!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
If I fired my employees for smoking weed, I've have no eployees left. Ages range from 20 to 70

Last edited by ADD; 11-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.
ADD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53453
I don't see how it would matter. It's not like your title is "Product quality sampling and test subject for upper limits of human consumption" or something to that effect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Itís a new industry that is booming, I say go for it.

Itís like saying that you wouldnít work for a booze manufacturer right after Prohibition.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
If I fired my employees for smoking weed, I've have no eployees left. Ages range from 20 to 70
You realise where you live right?

I feel like pot is really starting to loose its taboo vibe. It's not like you'd have to put "safety manager at a weed grow" on the resume.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wiseguy

Member # 867108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
It’s a new industry that is booming, I say go for it.

It’s like saying that you wouldn’t work for a booze manufacturer right after Prohibition.
I'm in this camp.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba the Red View Post
I'm in this camp.

Quote:

Itís like saying that you wouldnít work for a booze manufacturer right after Prohibition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
Lots of companies who require safety managers require drug testing. I can see hiring managers at one of those companies going this guy probably won't pass a drug test, next. If you are willing to possibly have a slightly harder time finding your next job go for it.

It's a huge deal in Colorado with companies who drug test vs. those that don't. There's a lot of "I won't work there, they drug test" going on. We have to deal with the ATF for explosives at work so we'll be one of the last places to get lax with drug testing.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba the Red View Post
I'm in this camp.
It is most definitely not like hiring someone who worked in booze after the 21stA was ratified.

For one thing, booze was illegal for 14 years after the Volstead Act, and it was understood that everyone broke the law including Presidents during that time. They served booze at the White House for pete's sake.

Weed, however, has been the province of almost exclusively lower-class types and young people for most of the last 80 years. It's really only since 2000 and really since 2010 that weed has been seen as more legitimate. There are still huge numbers of people who still look at weed as the devil, and in fact weed is illegal in 100% of the United States and all of it's Territories.

So, no, it's not the same as working at a booze plant in 1934.

I would guess ANY business that does business with the federal.gov is an automatic reject after working a weed job, whether you ever even see a weed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
Lots of companies who require safety managers require drug testing. I can see hiring managers at one of those companies going this guy probably won't pass a drug test, next. If you are willing to possibly have a slightly harder time finding your next job go for it.

It's a huge deal in Colorado with companies who drug test vs. those that don't. There's a lot of "I won't work there, they drug test" going on. We have to deal with the ATF for explosives at work so we'll be one of the last places to get lax with drug testing.
Add to the list of 'probably won't hire somone who worked in a Cannabiz' just about anyone that has any business dealings with any LE or 1st Responers in the nation, and that is a great big assload of companies.

Then add in people who just plain old don't trust weed at all. That's a lot of people.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
I don't see why it would be career suicide, especially with an innocuous name. As said before, your resume won't say "safety manager at a pot grow house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
It is most definitely not like hiring someone who worked in booze after the 21stA was ratified.

For one thing, booze was illegal for 14 years after the Volstead Act, and it was understood that everyone broke the law including Presidents during that time. They served booze at the White House for pete's sake.

Weed, however, has been the province of almost exclusively lower-class types and young people for most of the last 80 years. It's really only since 2000 and really since 2010 that weed has been seen as more legitimate. There are still huge numbers of people who still look at weed as the devil, and in fact weed is illegal in 100% of the United States and all of it's Territories.

So, no, it's not the same as working at a booze plant in 1934.

I would guess ANY business that does business with the federal.gov is an automatic reject after working a weed job, whether you ever even see a weed or not.

Add to the list of 'probably won't hire somone who worked in a Cannabiz' just about anyone that has any business dealings with any LE or 1st Responers in the nation, and that is a great big assload of companies.

Then add in people who just plain old don't trust weed at all. That's a lot of people.
Are you fucking kidding me?

What state do you live in?

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Old 11-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
I don't see why it would be career suicide, especially with an innocuous name. As said before, your resume won't say "safety manager at a pot grow house"
agree, biggest concern would be if you take the job while things are not legal. if it is a legal state, have at it

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 08:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
agree, biggest concern would be if you take the job while things are not legal. if it is a legal state, have at it
I'm going to get all Gary on you here:

There is not a single 'legal' State in existence. There isn't.

Marijuana is not legal on any speck of dirt in the United State and all of its possessions.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:

Why would previous employment shade a qualified applicant for a job?

That shit is illegal isnít it?

Old 11-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 74407
If you weren't such a shithead and didnt "hate Tx", you could make real good $ in the trucking and oil field industries down here.

Last edited by TireFryerSS; 11-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:
Why would previous employment shade a qualified applicant for a job?

That shit is illegal isnít it?
It is legal to 'shade' qualified applicants for the color of their socks in all 50 States in the Union.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
If you weren't such a shithead and "hated Tx", you could make real good $ in the trucking and oil field industries down here.
I don't hate Texas, I was in love with Texas then she broke my heart.

I don't see any need to be the last to know like I was in all of my previous marriages. This time I intend to be heart-broken before Texas cheats on me. So whether that is 2020, 2024, or 2028 doesn't matter. As far as I'm concerned Texas is a worthless whore who sleeps with Illegal Aliens and Democrats and I'll have nothing to do with her, thank you very much.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
I'm going to get all Gary on you here:

There is not a single 'legal' State in existence. There isn't.

Marijuana is not legal on any speck of dirt in the United State and all of its possessions.
you are absolutely right, but if the state AG isn't going to pursue you, then your odds are pretty fuckin' good that you won't have a federal problem.

no big deal getting paid in cash and avoiding banks and all that jazz, especially if "safety guy" is commonly a 1099 type consultant rather than an employee.

ton's of shit isn't legal, yet happens with no enforcement and is socially acceptable.

edit: legally, the federal government has no standing for regulation of drugs. the entire concept of the drug scheduling is illegal.

Last edited by Provience; 11-16-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
socially acceptable.
Being a pothead is still not socially acceptable today, to the degree that being a drinker was socially acceptable during Prohibition.

I am not arguing one way or the other whether any of this is good, I am pointing out that there are a lot of people out there who don't cotton to pot use, legitimate job or not.

That was the thread topic and I am merely addressing that.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Being a pothead is still not socially acceptable today, to the degree that being a drinker was socially acceptable during Prohibition.

I am not arguing one way or the other whether any of this is good, I am pointing out that there are a lot of people out there who don't cotton to pot use, legitimate job or not.

Fair enough.

So no harm no foul in your book if the OP never applies to a fed job then?

Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
If you weren't such a shithead and didnt "hate Tx", you could make real good $ in the trucking and oil field industries down here.
It's a prerequisite to be a shithead in order to work in the oil/gas industry. Dude has roustabout written all over him.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:

being a pothead equates with growing pot the same way being a drunk equates to brewing booze. neither are the more common takin' a toke or havin' a drank. is it still a bit more seedy? sure.

I agree that many people don't like pot and some folks might hold that against somebody. in a legal state, the number of people who would hold that against you are likely very very small.

innocuous name and as a 1099 employee, nobody in the future is ever going to question it ever

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
I have actual skills (outside of safety Black Sheep ), but if I wanted to slam gears in a truck I would do it here and not have to be surrounded by humidity and Texans.

Last edited by Gslander; 11-16-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in