Am I out of touch? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 74407
This exact thing has been making me irate for a while now. Everyone thinks their old worn out shitbox is now "classic, vintage, other stupid buzzword term" now. They have it, you want it, well the dammit you're gonna pay for it! Like said, those picker shows, faggots like Richard Rawlings and Fuck Monkey Garage, even the Mechum auction show has just completely screwed the whole market.

Tx isnt the gold mine for vehicles it used to be. Everything has been bought up, wrecked, sent to that cash for clunkers program, exported to south of the border.

Theres a K5 sitting on someones property in my neighborhood, unknown condition and I can't ever seem to catch anyone arou d there to ask about it. I almost dont want to bother because they'll either not want to sell it or they'll think its worth 10x's what its actually worth.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:07 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 181882
I try to keep watch over the classic/antique/hot rod market, and it's been in a slow but sure decline over the last 10-15 years, at least on pre-war stuff. I am seeing cars sitting for sale for months at prices that would have sold them in a day 15 years ago. Too many old guys passing and the collections being sold, or selling off the extras. I am in my late 30's, most people my age (if they are into cars)are going for 60's-70's , and even 80's cars and trucks, Volkswagens, vintage 4x4 stuff, and vehicles we all gave away or crushed a few years ago like "square body" pickups.

I can't remember a time when more 1926-1940 Fords were available at good prices than right now.

A word of advice: any car or truck built by GM before 1937 will be totally wood re-enforced and a real pain in the ass to build. Stick to Ford or Mopar bodies for more steel and less termites.
oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 107967
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
First thing I thought of:

This should been the first thing you thought of.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:27 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Rooney if it makes you feel better I just paid $1000 for two Willys a Cj2a and 3b frame with unknown condition drivetrain... mostly scrap and realistically worth less than $500. Iíll post pics today they are still on the trailer. No title or ownership and there is hardly anything left of the 2a body
Old 11-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 20331
The older restored cars is decent condition usually only sell for a grand or two more than a roached out body.

Hereís one in Dallas that looks decent. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254429453658
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #31 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Rooney if it makes you feel better I just paid $1000 for two Willys a Cj2a and 3b frame with unknown condition drivetrain... mostly scrap and realistically worth less than $500. Iíll post pics today they are still on the trailer. No title or ownership and there is hardly anything left of the 2a body
I just saw an ad for two of those for around the same figure on FB market place
Old 11-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #32 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Sorry, $2,100. Thought it was listed less for some reason

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7736834099240/
Old 11-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
DYAMMMM $16,500 for this 37 packard.

I guess old shit is worth a fortune. I wish I wouldíve kept the 50 plus VW beetles busses etc I destroyed in the 70ís & 80ís

Name:  0CE6CA1B-1522-474C-8FB0-4E434C4EDB6E.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  62.5 KB
Old 11-23-2019, 06:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Yeah the funny part is it goes both ways. the guys that think their shit is gold are usually lowballers too.

Heres a somewhat ludicrous one from Denver area:
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...018702111.html
Old 11-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
37 Ford 4 dr-1500
https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...005936575.html
Old 11-23-2019, 06:51 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
2dr anything body starts at $2500 here
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Unless I am mistaken, the concept ot a title is more recent (50 years or so) - obviously, varies by State.

Ownership was proven and transferred via the registration.

Pretty much all States have a mechanism for handling missing documentation on stuff this old. For example, it might be a notarized letter from a neighbor that certifies that the vehicle in question had not moved in 3 years.

There are also services (Hemmings should list them) that provide old registrations for (ahem) registration collectors. Old school junkyards used to have a drawer full of old reggy's that they collected and which they would sell for under the table cash.

I realize things are different now, but the 'title' issue you mention is separate from the pricing problem.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 189302
This isn't far from my topic about 90's and early 00's prices. I don't know if it's the times, or if it's simply Craigslist. It's like one idiot throws out a high price, other idiots search similar junk before posting, and the next thing you know a standard has been set.

We have a car dealer about two hours away who goes down south and out west and buys vehicles. He has a 93' Dodge 2500 posted for $24,000, and 2 Comanches posted for $10,000 each. I just shake my head. The internet has become the magnet for suckers.

Drive back roads and keep an eye out on land. I'll bet some of those Texans would let a decent old project go if you can find them before they find their way to the interwebs.

Like Plym said, I think you could have a title created so I wouldn't worry about it. In PA they actually issue Street Rod titles.
FleshEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #39 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
This is in line imo. $1,600 1969 international 4x4 truck with utility bed on it. Looks like old fire truck thing maybe. Pretty straight too.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4787897925570/
Old 11-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Anything is "worth" whatever someone else will pay for it.

It's not just old cars, it's just as bad (if not worse) for new cars. Pickups wouldn't cost $70 - 80K if people didn't buy them by the shitloads. Cars wouldn't cost $50K if idiots didn't demand all the tech crap be included.

Cars and trucks just cost too damn much, period. Hell, an optioned out Explorer costs more than a new C8 Corvette. I shit you not, look it up.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #41 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Name:  8F59E7DC-4FC4-4EE9-8A67-CF2A77242480.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
The older restored cars is decent condition usually only sell for a grand or two more than a roached out body.

Hereís one in Dallas that looks decent. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F254429453658
I may have to just suck it up or give it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
There's a flatty in a backyard near me I keep meaning to go ask about. Guess now is the time to do it. If it's cheap enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Unless I am mistaken, the concept ot a title is more recent (50 years or so) - obviously, varies by State.

Ownership was proven and transferred via the registration.

Pretty much all States have a mechanism for handling missing documentation on stuff this old. For example, it might be a notarized letter from a neighbor that certifies that the vehicle in question had not moved in 3 years.

There are also services (Hemmings should list them) that provide old registrations for (ahem) registration collectors. Old school junkyards used to have a drawer full of old reggy's that they collected and which they would sell for under the table cash.

I realize things are different now, but the 'title' issue you mention is separate from the pricing problem.
I did a bonded title for the 51 ford and it was a nightmare. Having to pass inspection before you've even built it and such. It's why I'm willing to pay a little more for something with a title but apparently I've been way off on base prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
This is in line imo. $1,600 1969 international 4x4 truck with utility bed on it. Looks like old fire truck thing maybe. Pretty straight too.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4787897925570/
That kinda stuff is much easier to find for me. It's the pre-war stuff that's hard to locate around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I pieced a pre war truck together cheap, 42-47 ford cab, 34 Chevy grille, narrowed 48 ford tailgate, home made bed, no hood, open wheel on a Toyota 2wd chassis.

I couldn't sell the sheet metal, so I threw it together as a roller, took pictures and somebody had to have it.

It can be done on a budget if you think outside the box. A buddy of mine dug a 30 something 4dr touring dodge out of the river 40 years ago, and stick welded it into a 34ish chopped 3 door ford pickup

Somebody offered me a 29ish model A, coupe turned roadster, for 1800 with a title. I should probably go look at it
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 08:17 AM   #44 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by total newb View Post
You can thank all these picking and resto bullshit shows for that
Its the same way with c10 and crewcab chevys.

$7500 for half rotten half trucks.
You can also thank auctions like Barrett - Jackson for making many people think their pile of rust is a gold mine.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
It's just a function of time. They aren't making more. As time goes on the old stuff passes through more hands, some is lost, parted, or wrecked. As certain popular models dry up, others take their places. 2 door anything that have been unmolested are very hard to find. Everything that was $500 a decade ago is $1500-$2000 now and that just isn't the classics. Deals are still out there but it takes active searching and patience.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 102813
This thread makes me think about my old mans project. 56 Chevy pickup, small window. It was scary as fuck to drive, the Chevy 350 and Muncy 3 speed coupled with OEM manual steering and brakes was a eye opener.He stripped it down to the bare frame, sandblasted and painted the frame. It’s still disassembled in the shop, has been for years.

Maybe one of theses days I’ll get after that project for him.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 11-23-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Mr Stubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Look at what happened to the price of FSJs as soon as Stacy David put out his show
Old 11-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #48 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I pieced a pre war truck together cheap, 42-47 ford cab, 34 Chevy grille, narrowed 48 ford tailgate, home made bed, no hood, open wheel on a Toyota 2wd chassis.
pre-war as in pre war on terror? millennials

sounds like you used a pre war grille

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
https://classics.autotrader.com/clas...cial/100823061

this has been for sale for a long time, the paint job bugs me and it isn't finished, but there is a decent bit of parts there.

it is tough to snag useable trash to build into something neat, but much easier to buy something done or done-ish and finish it out.

unless you are looking for a rat-rod, in which case stick with buying a total rust bucket

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
pre-war as in pre war on terror? millennials

sounds like you used a pre war grille
Maybe the the dementia is getting to you, but they didn't build cars during the war, if they did, it was for gov purposes with leftover designs, it was a tiny cab that was probably 98% a 1940 cab and 0% a 1948 cab
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in