Stupid shit you have done in a rig - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Damn thatís all that happened? Got off easy I guess
Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
Damn thatís all that happened? Got off easy I guess
fawk no

snapped a couple rods and blew a hole through the side of the block too the camshaft snapped in half was just unexpected
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
fawk no

snapped a couple rods and blew a hole through the side of the block too the camshaft snapped in half was just unexpected
Thatís more like it.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
x2 i lost track of all the dumb shit ive done and the broken parts list that follows
You probably got me beat on parts broken. But I'd put my list of just straight up dumb moves against anyone
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Thatís more like it.
ive seen a lot of snapped rods that have exited the block, cant recall seeing too many camshafts snapped in half
Old 11-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
You probably got me beat on parts broken. But I'd put my list of just straight up dumb moves against anyone
ive jumped(small 1-2ft) this thing over 20 times even had to notch the oil pan for diff clearance

Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Lit the tires up on the EB getting on the freeway in Sacramento, throttle stuck wide open, it went sideways and put the passenger front corner into the concrete overpass bending the frame
santa V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 178200
When I was 16 I decided to take my new to me 83 Olds Cutlass off roading. Drove it down the power line trails for 1/2hr or so like I was running the Baja 500. Car did way better than I expected on the trails so I decided to climb a huge hill with it...... Got me a 3-400ft run at the base of the hill, hit the first whoop before the hill, launched the car into the air a foot or two and proceeded to nose dive it into the side of the hill. Car came to an abrupt stop and was buried bumper deep in the dirt nose first. I tried "rocking" it by slamming it from R to D with my foot to the floor to get it unstuck. Ended up digging the rear of the car in up to the bumper and overheating the transmission...... It took me 6hrs of digging with a piece of cardboard, jacking it up with the bumper jack and stacking sticks under the rear tires to get myself out. Car drove, sounded and smelled all kinds of fucked up on the ride home that night. The next day I took it to my buddies work and put it on the lift to find out WTF was going on. The exhaust from the rear axle to the Y pipe was crushed flat including the cat & muffler, the oil pan was crushed up into the crank and leaking, trans pan was crushed, tail housing on the trans was broken and leaking, crossmember was bashed and the trans mount was torn in half. Sold it for scrap a week later and ended up buying my first 4x4.

Other than a 72 Camaro I had for a while as a toy, I have never owned another car.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
ive jumped(small 1-2ft) this thing over 20 times even had to notch the oil pan for diff clearance

Damm thatís a nice work truck.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 104602
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMoB...el_video_title
Baldy110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 165420
Went out wheeling on a Tuesday night after work in fresh 18” of snow. Should’ve quit while I was ahead. But I went in deeper and fell through some ice into a deep mud hole. Engine hydrolocked right away. Tried to recover myself but had zero luck getting my winch to budge me.

We got a good dump that day.

I walked to cell reception, made a rescue call and returned to my rig to try to recover myself as best as I could. I was frozen in by the time help arrived a few hours later. My father trashed his power wagon trying to follow my track and get to me. But he got me out. Missed 2 days of work after and got minor frost bite in my feet trying to stay warm and recover myself. Recovery took about 9 hours to go 2 miles.

Here’s my truck in the hole, the warn 12000 lb power wagon winch was stalling trying to pull me out. It was a nightmare. But I got out safe and my dog just had a long day sitting in the truck.

Muddy Water got about 10” into the cab and it was a process just to clean that out. Everything underneath was packed with mud.

During recovery after the sun came up-

Last edited by rapier46; 11-24-2019 at 07:15 PM.
rapier46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Damm that’s a nice work truck.
thanks has a long list of mods

front d60 kp 4.10 gears
springless hi steer arms
bronze kp bushings
steering angle is maxing out the axle shafts just before they bind
56" f550 superduty factory leafs(3) up front
7/8x3/4" heim track bar(steering is tight like a brand new truck)
2x4x1/4" spring hanger
boxed frame around the relocated through the frame shackles
toy drive shaft
bilstein 5100 12" travel

rear 14b 72"wms dually thick casting and axle tubes
4.10 gears with ARB
63" chevy leafs out of a dually with overload leafs
custom shackle flip and frt spring mounts
bilstein 5100 10" travel

nv4500 rebuilt with upgraded output(have a nv5600 im gonna swap in)
southbend clutch
np205 32 spline outputs frt/rr
second gen inter cooler
fuel pin and 3200rpm spring
dual batteries(one is mounted to the frame inside of the rear pass tire)

1/4" - 1/2" wall boxed bumpers front and rear
18k pound winch up front
1/4" wall rock sliders/steps/fender bars
2x2 3/16" lumber rack forklift loadable
2k capacity crane
air bags all 4 corners(top mounted only so doesnt limit down travel)
bucket seats out of a mini van
37" hummer tires(boggers are temporary only when needed in winter)
TWF hummer bead locks W/PVC in the rear(need a pair for the front now)

lives 80% of its life running around the dirt roads in those hills you see in the back ground of that picture above

some day im gonna do a 67-72 ford cab swap with a custom built boxed tube frame

Last edited by rockyota83; 11-24-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 3937
I've always gotten lucky and drove home. Scariest one was right after moving to CO. I had my old 92 Exploder on 31's and was just out driving around on some old abandoned roads in some BLM land. Decided it was getting late and since no one knew where I was (before everyone had cell phones) I better head home. I knew which direction the highway was so I took the first road I found heading that way. It turned out to be a mistake. I was on top of a mesa. The road started dropping off the side and as I made a left turn past the point of full commitment it turned into a shelf road cut into the side of the hill barely wide enough for me to fit. At this point I had no choice but to go down as the road was loose enough I couldn't back up. The further down I drove the rockier the road got. I made it about 3/4 of the way down and the road disappeared. I got out and walked ahead to scout a path that I thought would get me to the bottom. As I started going again I was side hilling on the loose top soil when the ground gave and I started sliding sideways. I slid around 5 feet waiting for the thing to start rolling, but got lucky and the slider hooked a 2 foot tall tree and stopped the slide. I was able to use the tree as a pivot and turned the front back down hill. I had a clear path to the bottom so I just went for it. Made it down only to find a barbwire fence and a herd of cows wondering who the hell I was. My only choice at that point was to cut the fence and drive through into the field. Got back out and fixed the fence then hauled ass across the field blowing through the ranchers driveway and out onto the highway hoping not to get caught. A few years later I met the owner of the property through a mutual friend and told him the story. He laughed and thanked me for not leaving the fence open.
[B][SIZE="2"][color=blue]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/color][/SIZE][/B]

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
I broke SOS in Johnson Valley...or rather it broke me and fully half the rigs on the trail that day.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Built a 4400 car in 59 days then take it from NY to JV with 0 miles on it only to Roll it on turn 2 of qualifying then go about 10 miles in the main race before all those kinks we didn't work out ended our day?

What do I win?

It's for sale cheep now and the kinks seem to be gone.

Last edited by Pokeman; 11-25-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Built a 4400 car in 59 days then take it from NY to JV with 0 miles on it only to Roll it on turn 2 of qualifying then go about 10 miles in the main race before all those kinks we didn't work out ended our day?

What do I win?

It's for sale cheep now and the kinks seem to be gone.
for sell? damn, are you building something else or just taking a break for a good bit?
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 08:51 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
thanks has a long list of mods

front d60 kp 4.10 gears
springless hi steer arms
bronze kp bushings
steering angle is maxing out the axle shafts just before they bind
56" f550 superduty factory leafs(3) up front
7/8x3/4" heim track bar(steering is tight like a brand new truck)
2x4x1/4" spring hanger
boxed frame around the relocated through the frame shackles
toy drive shaft
bilstein 5100 12" travel

rear 14b 72"wms dually thick casting and axle tubes
4.10 gears with ARB
63" chevy leafs out of a dually with overload leafs
custom shackle flip and frt spring mounts
bilstein 5100 10" travel

nv4500 rebuilt with upgraded output(have a nv5600 im gonna swap in)
southbend clutch
np205 32 spline outputs frt/rr
second gen inter cooler
fuel pin and 3200rpm spring
dual batteries(one is mounted to the frame inside of the rear pass tire)

1/4" - 1/2" wall boxed bumpers front and rear
18k pound winch up front
1/4" wall rock sliders/steps/fender bars
2x2 3/16" lumber rack forklift loadable
2k capacity crane
air bags all 4 corners(top mounted only so doesnt limit down travel)
bucket seats out of a mini van
37" hummer tires(boggers are temporary only when needed in winter)
TWF hummer bead locks W/PVC in the rear(need a pair for the front now)

lives 80% of its life running around the dirt roads in those hills you see in the back ground of that picture above

some day im gonna do a 67-72 ford cab swap with a custom built boxed tube frame

Damm dude is there a build thread on this? That has more work then a lot of wheeling rigs. What do you do for work?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier46 View Post
Went out wheeling on a Tuesday night after work in fresh 18Ē of snow. Shouldíve quit while I was ahead. But I went in deeper and fell through some ice into a deep mud hole. Engine hydrolocked right away. Tried to recover myself but had zero luck getting my winch to budge me.

We got a good dump that day.

I walked to cell reception, made a rescue call and returned to my rig to try to recover myself as best as I could. I was frozen in by the time help arrived a few hours later. My father trashed his power wagon trying to follow my track and get to me. But he got me out. Missed 2 days of work after and got minor frost bite in my feet trying to stay warm and recover myself. Recovery took about 9 hours to go 2 miles.

Hereís my truck in the hole, the warn 12000 lb power wagon winch was stalling trying to pull me out. It was a nightmare. But I got out safe and my dog just had a long day sitting in the truck.

Muddy Water got about 10Ē into the cab and it was a process just to clean that out. Everything underneath was packed with mud.

During recovery after the sun came up-

That sucks. Good luck with the hydrolock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
for sell? damn, are you building something else or just taking a break for a good bit?
There are 2 answers to that...

1. I put 20k miles on my hauler and raced the entire country from Feb - June of '18 and got totally burned out. It was a crazy time with my family I'll never forget. But it made me want nothing to do with the car.... I don't touch it and don't want to.

2. started trail riding my rzr's a ton. on a whim I took one racing and had a blast. having way more fun. A year of racing my rzr cost me less than race prepping my 4400 for a single race. I just totaled a rzr playing and don't care I have insurance. Where as a totaled 4400 car would cost me 6 figures.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #45 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Just don't feel like writing stuff up again at the moment.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 56430
In the years before Tread Lightly, and all the trail closures, I went swamp bogging thru a swamp. +1 for the traction of Detroit Lockers and Super Swampers. -10 for having to deal with rotting swamp grass, swamp mud, and dead frog guts and fish gill and the SMELL... God that smell. I still have burnt nasal cavities and it's been nearly 30 years. Never again. NEVER. (1985 or so)
Old 11-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #47 (permalink)
BRD

Member # 74465
Got stuck behind a locked gate up near the ski resorts near Wrightwood.I had a Datsun,buddy had a F250.A little snow on the ground,so the only way out was to drive down the main run.A little slick but not too bad,right?
Problem was,he had no brakes so we chained his truck to the front of mine.About 50 ft into this little downhill adventure,I had the sudden realization that this was not a good idea.My brakes were not holding very well and even with him in reverse,things got out of hand in a hurry.He went sideways,I had no choice but to follow.
We got 3 full 360 loops in before the slope started to level out,and we got stopped.Pretty much a big game of crack the whip in slow motion.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Damm dude is there a build thread on this? That has more work then a lot of wheeling rigs. What do you do for work?
no build thread but ive posted some pics here before, i do a lot of different(welding/fab/construction) things for work but my main gig at the moment is developing a few different big acre rural properties
Old 11-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #49 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD View Post
Got stuck behind a locked gate up near the ski resorts near Wrightwood.I had a Datsun,buddy had a F250.A little snow on the ground,so the only way out was to drive down the main run.A little slick but not too bad,right?
Problem was,he had no brakes so we chained his truck to the front of mine.About 50 ft into this little downhill adventure,I had the sudden realization that this was not a good idea.My brakes were not holding very well and even with him in reverse,things got out of hand in a hurry.He went sideways,I had no choice but to follow.
We got 3 full 360 loops in before the slope started to level out,and we got stopped.Pretty much a big game of crack the whip in slow motion.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #50 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD View Post
I think we have a winner!
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in