Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (/forum/)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/24-general-chit-chat/)
-   -   Stupid shit you have done in a rig (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/2692264-stupid-shit-you-have-done-rig.html)

Rubirunner85 11-23-2019 07:36 PM

Stupid shit you have done in a rig

The first really dumb thing I did was in the snow. I had just finished pulling my buddy out of a deep spot. He was in a Pinzgauer on 31s and I had 37s.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZqW6zffL/2-DFCA...26-B98-CF3.jpg

My fuel pump was dying, so I would have off and on full power. I was leading the line and it was wide open :homer: the trail fallowed the ridge to the bottom of the hallow.

Instead of fallowing the ridge, with everything covered with snow, and my foot pegged I just went straight... looking back, I’m not sure why I didn’t think there was an issue driving down that steep of an decline. I’m sure I had a huge grin. I get to the bottom..moving about 20mph to find a creek with deep banks almost as wide as my rig.

I was hard on the brakes when I saw it. I don’t think I slowed down at all, back on the gas coming out. The front of my rig was launched in the air about 10’. I was back on the brakes when I slammed down. I blew out both my shocks and introduced my drag link to my oil pan.

Every one in the group saw me launch it, they were laughing their asses off. Now I’m 250’ down a 30* slope. I’m still in the creek and my oil pan is making all kinds of racket from the dent.

Reverse, low low and both diffs locked. I peg the throttle and it’s moving. Slowly. Snow was almost to the top of my tires. Took about 3 minutes to get up and the rig was so hot, I had to just pop the hood and let it idle. The heat melted some stuff, like my front air line. No more front locker.

Trips like this, I can remember almost every detail. Trips where everything went well, I can almost forget, until I see the pics.

https://i.postimg.cc/wjfDPKkv/B45523...29-D9-E383.jpg

Action Fab 11-23-2019 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Entered my daily driver in a rock race.

I was the first competitor on course. With no reference to what the competition would run, I proceeded set the pace.

KarlVP 11-23-2019 07:50 PM

We Rock Goldendale a few years ago.

Way hungover and not listening to my spotter.

https://i1079.photobucket.com/albums...psooqc9wz9.jpg

squamch 11-23-2019 07:52 PM

First night I had my first toyota we went wheeling, on a snowmobile trail. In the snow. In a stock 82 toyota. Sunk one side to the rockers in a creek. My girlfriend at the time was not at all impressed with me. It was a cold night. Buddies came out and rescued us in a diesel golf on studded snow tires that was light enough not to break through the crust.

montrose818 11-23-2019 08:22 PM

I slid into Gary once. Groundhawgs have no sideways traction 😞

RgdL 11-23-2019 08:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Front end came down hard running this hill. Turned out there was a boulder under the snow that I couldn't see.

ADD 11-23-2019 09:01 PM

See the "I quit drinking thread" for my submission

JR 11-23-2019 09:13 PM

Set Back Door on fire and drive up it - sorta.

BossBuilt 11-23-2019 09:16 PM

So ... dumb shit thread?

rockyota83 11-23-2019 09:20 PM

made it up wh3(fordyce) in reverse :laughing:

Rubirunner85 11-23-2019 10:04 PM

Made a trip down to Mexico. More wheeling shenanigans. It took 8hrs to get the rig running. Had to replace the ignition module and coil. The module is held down with 6.5mm screws... under the rotor. It fried in the middle of a creek on the way out. That was a cold and wet trip. :laughing:

https://youtu.be/Pa0M5CtnGEU

YotaAtieToo 11-23-2019 10:38 PM

I don't think there is enough words in the internet for all the dumb things I've done in a vehicle. :flipoff2:

2nd time I had my first drivable vehicle (87 samurai) up in the woods, I hit a corner to fast (washboarded and out sloping) and went off the edge into a big fir tree. Bent the frame pretty good, still have that piece.

Did a frame swap, and the very next time I rolled it onto the roof.

Flipped over backwards, rolled off another hill, the thing didn't seem to like to have its tires on the ground.

Later on Toyota axles and 37s, i drove it across a river, missed the line I did the week before and sank almost up to the hood. Hydro locked it bad enough to bend a rod.

Years later in a 2nd gen 4runner on 35s we (wife, kid, and dogs) went up to the snow, way off the beaten path, down down down, then went to start back up and found out the front spider gear decided it had enough. Proceeded to winch for about 14 hours up this trail to get out. Thank God for 8274s and die hard platinums.

That's not even getting into all the beaters I've had, doing dumb shit on public roads or in fields, ect.

Rubirunner85 11-23-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44699856)
I don't think there is enough words in the internet for all the dumb things I've done in a vehicle. :flipoff2:

2nd time I had my first drivable vehicle (87 samurai) up in the woods, I hit a corner to fast (washboarded and out sloping) and went off the edge into a big fir tree. Bent the frame pretty good, still have that piece.

Did a frame swap, and the very next time I rolled it onto the roof.

Flipped over backwards, rolled off another hill, the thing didn't seem to like to have its tires on the ground.

Later on Toyota axles and 37s, i drove it across a river, missed the line I did the week before and sank almost up to the hood. Hydro locked it bad enough to bend a rod.

Years later in a 2nd gen 4runner on 35s we (wife, kid, and dogs) went up to the snow, way off the beaten path, down down down, then went to start back up and found out the front spider gear decided it had enough. Proceeded to winch for about 14 hours up this trail to get out. Thank God for 8274s and die hard platinums.

That's not even getting into all the beaters I've had, doing dumb shit on public roads or in fields, ect.

I e seen your dodge vids:smokin:

Wazzobie 11-24-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 (Post 44699844)

Wow good job :smokin:

ndsgr 11-24-2019 06:45 AM

Boned a chick in a '89 Toyota single cab without protection. Worked out okay though.

broncokyle88 11-24-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndsgr (Post 44700032)
Boned a dude in a '89 Toyota single cab without protection. Worked out okay though.

Fify :flipoff2:

If I didnít the damn dirty injun would

PROJECTJUNKIE 11-24-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndsgr (Post 44700032)
Boned a chick in a '89 Toyota single cab without protection. Worked out okay though.

Yeah, the "Motel Silverado" "Lariat Resort" "Laramie Hotel" :grinpimp:

ndsgr 11-24-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncokyle88 (Post 44700060)
Fify :flipoff2:

If I didnít the damn dirty injun would

Not gay, didn't make eye contact and I had socks on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE (Post 44700088)
Yeah, the "Motel Silverado" "Lariat Resort" "Laramie Hotel" :grinpimp:

The line was, "Hey, you want to go off roading?" Most expensive wheeling ever. 13 years married and 4 kids. That cab seemed smaller than normal - I guess the wife likes tiny things.

muddeprived 11-24-2019 08:39 AM

Jumped a TJ 4 feet and bent front axle. Sunk the same TJ in 3 ft of water and got coal, water, and fish in everything. Took dealer days to flush it all out.

My buddy beat my jump with a 6 footer in an xj (i was in back so this counts) and it literally folded like a taco. Crumples, bends, warps, and waves all over the jeep. He drove it 2 hours home with angled wheels.

rockyota83 11-24-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo (Post 44699856)

x2 :laughing: i lost track of all the dumb shit ive done and the broken parts list that follows

Rubirunner85 11-24-2019 02:19 PM

Well I guess we found out who wheels and who doesnít in gcc :flipoff2:

FJC11 11-24-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddeprived (Post 44700172)
Jumped a TJ 4 feet and bent front axle. Sunk the same TJ in 3 ft of water and got coal, water, and fish in everything. Took dealer days to flush it all out.

My buddy beat my jump with a 6 footer in an xj (i was in back so this counts) and it literally folded like a taco. Crumples, bends, warps, and waves all over the jeep. He drove it 2 hours home with angled wheels.

Did that in my 1980 K-5 , broke the front differential completely in half , but it worked in the commercial , lol.

EverNoob 11-24-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 (Post 44700564)
Well I guess we found out who wheels and who doesnít in gcc :flipoff2:

My offroad experiences are so tame and wimpy that they simply don't belong on PBB and I admit it. There's still a quality threshold to pass and I'm not over it here.

I once drove a Toyota pickup across one row of apples because I got lost and spotted a road. No I don't make a habit of driving on people's land and fucking up their crops, but I spotted a road and took my chance.

Ended up with a bed full of wonderful Washington apples which I ate and gave out to my friends. Made an applie pie too. Sorry farmer.

Rubirunner85 11-24-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EverNoob (Post 44700596)
My offroad experiences are so tame and wimpy that they simply don't belong on PBB and I admit it. There's still a quality threshold to pass and I'm not over it here.

I once drove a Toyota pickup across one row of apples because I got lost and spotted a road. No I don't make a habit of driving on people's land and fucking up their crops, but I spotted a road and took my chance.

Ended up with a bed full of wonderful Washington apples which I ate and gave out to my friends. Made an applie pie too. Sorry farmer.

Itís okay, you are clearly not alone. Just you are willing to be honest.

rockyota83 11-24-2019 05:09 PM

i snapped a camshaft clean in half once sucking water into a 4.0 jeep at 5k rpm :laughing: