Anyone ever put a wood burning fireplace into your home? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43637
Anyone ever put a wood burning fireplace into your home?

I've got an exterior wall in our den that would be perfect for a fireplace. I want to put in a wood burning fireplace with a gas feed/starter underneath.

Has anyone done this? I'm trying to figure out chimney heights, requirements, etc. There are a lot of wood burning inserts out now versus a full brick fireplace and I'm confused as hell.

If you've done this, what all did you have to do? Go above roof line with chimney, or just off a distance? How much did you end up spending with something like this?
[QUOTE=PAToyota;19894137]Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover... :D[/QUOTE]
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 81812
Top of the stack needs to be two feet higher than anything within ten feet. This is to provide enough draft.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
bought my new home in may, didn't realize till last week how much i would miss having a wood burning fireplace..... fuck the gas unit the new place came with. being out in the country on propane is not the setup for me vs. wood!...... def keeping a eye on this encase you pull the trigger!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 110672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Customcj7 View Post
I've got an exterior wall in our den that would be perfect for a fireplace. I want to put in a wood burning fireplace with a gas feed/starter underneath.

Has anyone done this? I'm trying to figure out chimney heights, requirements, etc. There are a lot of wood burning inserts out now versus a full brick fireplace and I'm confused as hell.

If you've done this, what all did you have to do? Go above roof line with chimney, or just off a distance? How much did you end up spending with something like this?
If you have nothing currently then you want a “Prefab or Zero Clearance” fireplace. The easiest option would be a freestanding wood stove. Those don’t use any gas starters since they are sealed units.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 59610
all you are asking for is spelled out in the international building code, one and two family structures.
it c
Old 12-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 59610
Chapter 10: Chimneys and Fireplaces, Residential Code 2015 of New York State | UpCodes
https://up.codes/viewer/new_york/irc...-fireplaces#10
Old 12-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 166307
First are we booty fabbing this outlaw, or by the book???
#2?... Then call the smog natzi's and building dept. Get the info. Necessary.

Steel frame, draft stop the chase,fire stop the penetration, BIG hearth, quality log lighter.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 214836
Did my own free standing wood stove about 10 years ago. 2' above the roof line, triple wall pipe with matching pass through's on the ceiling and roof. $750 total.

Tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 152085
The house that we just bought has a free standing Fisher wood stove and we love it! The whole interior was gutted and remodeled. I built a new 4'x8' hearth with 2x4's on 6" center with 3/4" ply and then hardibacker on that covered in tile. The stovepipe needed to be replaced, which cost us $2,100 just for the replacement including labor. The hole in the ceiling and roof were already there. The hearth was probably $3-400 in materials and we had a tile guy lay the tile. We also redid the heat barrier on the back wall to update that a bit. Probably a few hundred in the Stackstone and then labor for the tile guy to install.

I am no expert by any means, but we are happy with the result. We can get our 1,700 sqft place into the 80's when it is in the 30's outside. A fan is nice to have to move the air around as well. For us, that is just a box fan behind the stove until we do something more permanent.
POS YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 167070
Are you looking for a fireplace with a hearth (something non combustible) and a mantle or a wood stove?
BUCKLAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Most Wood fired fireplaces are just about 0% efficient so that's something to consider.

If you plan on using it to actually heat the house a wood stove would make much more sense.

Last edited by nate379; 12-05-2019 at 03:51 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Have a Rumford masonry fireplace built, you will love it and it will increase the value of your home by the amount spent on the fireplace. those cheap metal units, I just have never trusted them.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I have one in my house. My ceiling is about 18' it pokes out about a foot over the ridge. My house is a log cabin so the stove is sitting on a flag stone floor that goes up the wall roughly 4'. The roof is 2x6 dimensional boards with a metal roof directly over that. So there's not a standard ceiling/attic/plywood/shingle to go through. I have a double wall stove pipe with a flapper. I routinely burn my stove with the doors open and it has never once back drafted smoke into the house. The cap I have on the stove pipe is baffled.

We use wood to heat the nose most of the winter.

If you bought everything new, I'd say the stove costs 3-5k and another $1-2k to get it installed safely. Most of that is going to depend on what you put the stove on and how you surround it. My parents framed old barn tin behind theirs and put it on a simple tile 5'x5' tile floor.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 108006
We have a large stone fireplace with powered vents in it that was pretty decent for heat output. About 10 years ago we put an insert into it, puts out 10X the heat and you still have the large stone fireplace and can see the fire. Have the option to open the insert door and put a screen in if you want the smell and crackle and pop of the fire. The sealed insert door also cut down all of the smoke that would fill the room when the flue was cold and not drafting yet.

be sure to check with your homeowners insurance as some won't cover a freestanding stove.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
Most Wood fired fireplaces are just about 0% efficient so that's something to consider.

If you plan on using it to actually heat the house a wood stove would make much more sense.
X's 2
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkCJ6 View Post
We have a large stone fireplace with powered vents in it that was pretty decent for heat output. About 10 years ago we put an insert into it, puts out 10X the heat and you still have the large stone fireplace and can see the fire. Have the option to open the insert door and put a screen in if you want the smell and crackle and pop of the fire. The sealed insert door also cut down all of the smoke that would fill the room when the flue was cold and not drafting yet.

be sure to check with your homeowners insurance as some won't cover a freestanding stove.
About the same story here. Moved into this house about 12 years ago and it had an open fireplace. Knew that would suck so I built an insert to go into it. Lit my wall on fire, because the tile chimney liner was right up against some fucking celotex because some asshole cut corners building the chimney. You couldn't see anything wrong with it from inside the chimney, but after the fire you could see exactly what happened. Fixed the wall and chimney properly and kept using the insert.

Just a couple weeks ago the door glass started rattling cause some of the glass gasket fell out. I decided I wanted to fix the doors up a bit better, and was actually just working on finishing that up this afternoon.

Here's a couple pics of it from 12 years ago when I started building it.

I have a small squirrel cage fan that pulls room air and blows it into a square tube at the bottom. Then the air runs through the curved pipe fire grate and out the top. Works like a charm.

Name:  DSCF0424.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0423.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2019-12-05_18-29-21.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2019-12-05_18-29-49.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  69.0 KB
Old 12-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Put a free standing zero clearance wood stove in my house. All I did was build the hearth/base. Base was 2x4 framing on edge. Sheet of 3/4 ply then 2 layers of cement board. Then brick on top of that with a clear coat sealer. Did not get a permit but...I then had a stove company install the rest so it could be certified. Homeowners insurance and all that crap if something went sideways. The stove is awesome, heats my 1500 sq ft no problem

Last edited by KWTMECH; 12-05-2019 at 07:12 PM.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
Did my own free standing wood stove about 10 years ago. 2' above the roof line, triple wall pipe with matching pass through's on the ceiling and roof. $750 total.
This is the way to go. Exterior wall chimneys are not a good idea. Freestanding stoves are better at heating than a fireplace, especially on an exterior wall

IDK if a gas start is an okay thing to do by code anymore. Certainly not needed.

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 81022
we ran a liner up the existing chimney & put a wood stove insert in, and run it from october to may just about.... Getting wood and chopping wood is a the biggest pain in the nut sack, but it keeps the main area of the house 70+ degrees all the time....
Old 12-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
I have a small squirrel cage fan that pulls room air and blows it into a square tube at the bottom. Then the air runs through the curved pipe fire grate and out the top. Works like a charm.

Attachment 2954318

Attachment 2954320

Attachment 2954322

Attachment 2954324

That is very effin NICE WORK!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrShaft696 View Post
we ran a liner up the existing chimney & put a wood stove insert in, and run it from october to may just about.... Getting wood and chopping wood is a the biggest pain in the nut sack, but it keeps the main area of the house 70+ degrees all the time....
I do it just about everyday. Delivered about 350 cords last year.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 04:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 189302
If you want the look with less hassle and more efficiency, Harman makes pellet fireplaces.
FleshEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 44308
I installed a free standing wood stove in our house when we moved in 3 years ago.
2x4 metal studs against wall, hardi backer next, stone after that. 2x6 base, hardi backer, pour in place concrete top 2" thick, stamped. Blaze King princess stove was expensive, and triple wall pipe kit was terrible because of how far down my roof it exits, I have 9' of triple wall sticking out. Think I have as over 3k into it. Followed building code and stove space requirements.
Can't upload a pic, pirate site is being a POS.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I used an insert when I built my house. It was pretty badass, but never put a stove in a room with a tall ceiling. It has to be 145 deg F at the top for it to be comfortable at the bottom.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...13845345_zpid/

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2019, 06:44 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Customcj7 View Post

chimney needs to be 3ft. higher than roofline at the height the pipe comes up. So not the roof ridgeline, just 3ft above the nearest
Class A pipe the whole way. Class A is double or triple wall pipe. You'll want this for good drafting too
Pipe alone will run about $2500

Stove needs to either be sitting on concrete foundation or be set on a non burnable surface to shield the floor from heat. if you're going through the wall and then up, the pipe coming out of the stove should be minimum 18" from the ceiling. 20-24" would be more preferable

For wood stoves, look at models with the catalytic converter. They're very very very efficient. When I say efficient, I'm talking they burn more completely so your wood will last longer(insert joke) . I'm putting in a wood stove right now. I picked up a Vermont Castings Defiant model for $300.

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in