Salary Pay - I知 getting a pay cut - biweekly pay 26 vs 27 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
Salary Pay - I知 getting a pay cut - biweekly pay 26 vs 27

Salary Pay - I知 getting a pay cut - biweekly pay 26 vs 27

I can稚 wrap my brain around how this is correct, ethical, moral. I知 going to give my company the benefit of the doubt and say they aren稚 doing this 登n purpose賠

I am including relevant information from a recent company email.

2020 Payroll Update

Due to the 2020 calendar, there will be 27 bi-weekly paychecks in 2020. Since January 1, 2021 is a Friday and banks are closed on this day, we are moving up the pay day to Thursday, December 31, 2020; this change creates an extra paycheck in the 2020 calendar year.

How does this impact you?

ァ Benefit Premiums: Your benefits premiums per paycheck will be smaller than originally anticipated.

ァ Salaried Employees: Your bi-weekly paychecks will appear reduced as your annual salary will be spread across 27 pay periods (instead of the usual 26).

ァ Hourly and Non-Exempt Employees: There will be no change to your wages as it will be still be based upon your hours worked.

ァ 401(k): These contributions are still based off your eligible earnings for the pay period.

ァ 2021 Payroll Calendar: Looking forward, there will be 52 weekly paychecks and 26 bi-weekly paychecks again in 2021. For reference, here is the link to the 2021 Payroll Calendar.

I deleted links and a few truly non-relevant sections.

I looked back at my job offer and it stated EXACLTY word for word. (numbers edited)

Base wage: Your salary will be $1,961.54 bi-weekly ($51,000.04 annually).

So It looks like my job offer was based on a biweekly rate and the annual rate in () was 26 times that. That means there are 14 days x 26 weeks in a year. So 364 days.

This may not seem like a ton of money. But for 27 pay periods I will be making 3.7% less.

A short bit after getting this email I went straight to accounting and they told me my math was wrong and what they are doing is correct.

Ok... But my job offer conflicts with your pay method...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kmkommes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Are you going to get 1,888.89 27 times

VS 1,961.54 26 times?

If so that's the same amount right?
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Choose between a 3.7% "paycut" for 26 weeks, or not being paid on the 27th payweek of the year. You'll still make $51,000.04 for 2020. If they didn't "reduce" your paycheck you'd bitch about your employer not paying you for a full year of work and screwing you out of $x,xxx.xx for 2020.

EDIT: Being paid what you calculate out to be bi-weekly and what they calculate out to be annually aren't the same. I'd say your salary is the annual pay you agreed to and the biweekly amount is determined by the number of pay periods.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 12-19-2019 at 01:34 PM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 377
Reads to me as if you're getting the exact same amount in salary and benefits, it's just spread out over 27 pay periods instead of 26.

Had they not done this, then you would've been shorted $1961.54 plus benefits during the 2020 calendar year.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 54455
I get a yearly email stating how many "workdays" there are in a year and the change from last year. Every year it seems like the number increases. Since my salary stays the same, the amount I make per hour decreases.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 85205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Reads to me as if you're getting the exact same amount in salary and benefits, it's just spread out over 27 pay periods instead of 26.

Had they not done this, then you would've been shorted $1961.54 plus benefits during the 2020 calendar year.
Yes but he will be short $76.65 every check so in essence he is getting paid less to work more...
Old 12-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by F2504x4 View Post
Yes but he will be short $76.65 every check so in essence he is getting paid less to work more...
Only if he leaves before the end of the year. At the end of the year it'll be the same amount for the calendar year.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkommes View Post
A short bit after getting this email I went straight to accounting and they told me my math was wrong and what they are doing is correct.
Were they nice about it or did they make fun of your math skills?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
petition them so that you can simply get 12 equal paychecks every year

edit: and then quit after every February

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 12-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Only if he leaves before the end of the year. At the end of the year it'll be the same amount for the calendar year.
I think you're right, but I'd also be pretty bent about it.

I think his agreed upon salary has become an incentive to stay all year.

I'd also be suspicious about layoffs until I got my 27th check
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 85205
Quote:
Yes, but he is still working for less and he will be short every month
Getting paid for 52 weeks in a 53 week year .
Old 12-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
You think there's gonna be 53 weeks next year?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 685122
Quote:
Quote:
Get a calculator and take a course in Basic Math.
TheCopperCowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
This is the best example I can come up with why this is 努rong in my mind. It seems like really simply math yet I can understand why a ton of people do not understand it. (because math)

Let痴 pretend we agree to $2000 biweekly (every Friday) which is as most people would calculate to $52,000 per year. I don稚 care how you calculate it over months, weeks, years as long as you pay me for our agreed to rate from the day I start working until the day I stop. You can pay me in arrears 1 week or 3 weeks, I don稚 care, as long as I am paid for the time I am employed.

Now let痴 say I never get a raise and inflation is not a thing.

Would it be ok for:

Making $2000 every 2 weeks for 30 weeks.

Then make $1923 every 2 weeks for 54 weeks. (because on just one of those Fridays they choose to pay you on a Thursday because the bank isn稚 open)

Then return to the normal rate of pay of $2000 every 2 weeks.

Fact is, for a time of 54 weeks, you are paid a lesser rate than what was initially agreed to.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 685122
Quote:
This is the best example I can come up with why this is 努rong in my mind. It seems like really simply math yet I can understand why a ton of people do not understand it. (because math)

Let痴 pretend we agree to $2000 biweekly (every Friday) which is as most people would calculate to $52,000 per year. I don稚 care how you calculate it over months, weeks, years as long as you pay me for our agreed to rate from the day I start working until the day I stop. You can pay me in arrears 1 week or 3 weeks, I don稚 care, as long as I am paid for the time I am employed.

Would it be ok for:

Then make $1923 every 2 weeks for 54 weeks. (because on just one of those Fridays they choose to pay you on a Thursday because the bank isn稚 open)

Fact is, for a time of 54 weeks, you are paid a lesser rate than what was initially agreed to.
Yet, by some miracle, he made the same amount at the end of the year.
TheCopperCowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:

Would it be ok for:

salary is negotiated on a 40 hour workweek of 52 weeks during the year. your hourly rate is based on 2,080 hours. if you work more or less actual hours during that 2080 period, then you will "make less or more" hourly based on the hours you actually logged.

to keep the paperwork and negotiations simple is the main reason why people and business' seek out salary scales.

if you want to track your hours and get paid for every hour you work, then tell them you don't want to be a salary employee. easy as pie.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 109702
Leap year.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 14794
Send a message via AIM to korda
This reminds me of when I worked graveyard shift during a spring forward in daylight savings time.

滴ey, you guys are paying me for 7 hours tonight right?

鄭re you dumb, 12-8 is eight hours

的t痴 daylight savings time and 12-8 is only 7 hours tonight

12-8 is 8 hours

*blank stares*
Old 12-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:

Would it be ok for:

Why 30 weeks at first?
Old 12-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopperCowboy2 View Post
Yet, by some miracle, he made the same amount at the end of the year.
Assuming that he completes the year, employed by the same company, anyone who leaves early is shafted.

Interesting that the company determines salary by the year, but makes payroll on a bi-weekly rather than a semi-monthly basis.

Not saying that the management is actively looking for a way to underpay/shortpay employees, but that would be an effective method.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Jut

Member # 731289
The problem is that a salary of $1961.54 bi-weekly is not equal to $51000.04 annually. There are 52 weeks + 1 day (51.14) in a year, 52 weeks + 2 days (52.29) in a leap year.

It's pretty clear to me that the company believes you are paid an annual salary and in that case, their math is correct, between January 1st and December 31st you will get your $51000.04

If the salary was actually bi-weekly based then for every year since you started you have been paid less than you are due because they only paid you for 52 weeks in the year and you missed out on the 1 day of pay (or 2 in a leap year). The real kicker is that the year where this would catch up and you get compensated for all those missed days, they change your bi-weekly rate.

For what it's worth, based on the info you provided, I believe your agreement with the company was for a bi-weekly based wage and they should not change that. They should just suck up the annual wage change due to the extra day every year.
Jut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 34955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Why 30 weeks at first?
That number could be any arbitrary number. In could be 2 weeks. The number before and after the 27 doesn't matter. The amount of pay should NOT change because the frequency of pay doesn't change. Frequency is every 2 weeks. Who gives a crap if the offset of one of those pay periods is 1 day.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
That number could be any arbitrary number. In could be 2 weeks. The number before and after the 27 doesn't matter. The amount of pay should NOT change because the frequency of pay doesn't change. Frequency is every 2 weeks. Who gives a crap if the offset of one of those pay periods is 1 day.
another option would be to get paid twice a month instead of every 2 weeks.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 49281
I am paid a salary and it is paid out bi-weekly. You aren稚 losing money unless you leave as stated.

I am unable to work overtime etc. because of how my salary is written. But if I知 sick I get paid, and I take long work poops to compensate.

You値l be fine, the man isn稚 holding you down. Don稚 like it, go hourly and lose.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Geezus, for all the math time they spent on this one.
They shoulda just paid the 26 @ normal, and then made #27 late AND a bonus

Yes corporate chimerica I hear ya!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in