Another Moab/ W Colorado Trip - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Another Moab/ W Colorado Trip

Updated: post #58

Updated: post #32

I’ve talked about going to Moab since early 2000s. It’s been on my bucket list way too long so I’m putting my big boy pants on to make it happen. Kids are getting older and I want to share this trip with them.

The plan: acquire a stock JL Rubicon that may or may not be on 35-37s...most likely on the stock 33s. Make a trip with another couple of Jeeps on 35s. We want to do scenic and mild trails...I’d like to do some technical stuff but nothing that is going to risk body damage. I have my built rig for that and I’m taking time off from that because of other issues that would require another thread. I’d be with my family including 3 kids aged 10-14. Plan is to hotel it with a possible ABNB in Moab with the group. Also, considering a camping night or two.

The route: drive up from South Texas and meet a buddy in Roswell. Sleep there a night then head to Colorado. Spend 3-5 days here. Then head Moab for 3-5 days. At this point we may split off from the group so I can head to the Grand Canton or head back to Colorado to visit CO springs or Denver then make the trek home. This is all early stages of planning and still open to interpretation.

Looked over a few threads here including:
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-...ab-trails.html

Tentatively:
Colorado—San Juan Mountains, Alpine Loop, Pikes Peak, Silverton, Telluride, Ouray, Royal Gorge Train, Black Bear Pass...
Moab—-Top of the World, Delicate Arch, Fins N things, Elephant Hill ?, RimRocker (possible route from CO-Moab?)...

Is 10 days realistic or 14 days more viable? I know it won’t be enough days but I’d probably be maxed out at 14 days.

Open to suggestions or comments. Things to see or things to skip. Like to start planning a firm route next month to start booking places to sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.

Last edited by 72blazer; 02-03-2020 at 03:26 PM.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I guess you're used to heat so roasting in Moab when those roads are open in CO may not be so bad for you.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
I guess you're used to heat so roasting in Moab when those roads are open in CO may not be so bad for you.

Heat is a non issue for the most part. Iím used to 100* with 120% humidity.

Forgot to mention, plan is for late July or early August.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post

Heat is a non issue for the most part. Iím used to 100* with 120% humidity.

Forgot to mention, plan is for late July or early August.
Are you towing the Jeep on a trailer or are you driving it ? It'd be tough to get all the luggage inside the Jeep for a 14 day trip.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Edit: this is all voice to text and I didn’t proofread. If it doesn’t make sense try to sound it out phonetically
We did the San Juan’s and Moab last year at different times, august/October. We did the same thing in 2016 on the same week. Holy shit 116į on the rocks is hot. It makes it a little tough to get out and enjoy lunch on the side of the trail.
Either way, July and August both work really well for the San Juan’s they are super cool. The Alpine Loop will take you a fairly long day on jeeps if you stop at any mines and stop in Lake City to grab lunch, just get an early start. We did the loop on razors so not sure how that looks for a jeep trip as far as how much time it will take. if you were doing blackbear and imogene (two coolest) start early enough that you get done with blackbear at lunchtime and hang around telluride. You can take a gondola over the mountain to the next little ski village that is closed in the summer-ish and then jump on Imogene and get down into Ouray in time to go to the brewery for dinner and beers.
Moab. Those jeeps are plenty capable to do Hells revenge. When you think of Moab and wind blown mounds of slick rock, you are thinking of Hells revenge. We all did it in our JK is on 35s and 37‘s no problem.
Gemini bridges is cool to walk out on and check out. We did a ton of trails in Moab and razors so I’m trying to translate what will work for non-body damage Jeep. Depending on the rest of the group and whether you have winches the poison spider, gold bar rim and golden spike trail that starts at the Southwest and ends at the north east Out on the highway at the east edge of Gemini Bridges is a pretty long day in a Jeep, Took a buddy 12 hours. We did it in about four hours in razors and stop several times. You get to see a lot of the things that Moab is famous for but there is also a decent chance of dinging up the rockers and undercarriage and having to winch in a couple spots. I have tons of experience with Colorado and some with Moab in a 4 door on 37’s. . If you want more opinions drop me a line

Last edited by blacksheep10; 01-15-2020 at 02:07 PM.
blacksheep10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Are you towing the Jeep on a trailer or are you driving it ? It'd be tough to get all the luggage inside the Jeep for a 14 day trip.
Thatís what Iím getting away from for a while. I have my built rig that I have to tow everywhere...rig has been broken since 2018. Burned out with 1-2 trips a year and having to prep two vehicles. Just realized we would end up taking our small daschund along as well. We would rig up a hitch basket as well. We will make do. Weíve packed for 5 days in New Mexico in a VW Jetta. I think this would be doable.

@blacksheep10 Iíll shoot you a PM soon. Thanks. Lots of great info.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 7624
Send a message via AIM to offroadman83
David in a Jeep....blasphemy...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 377
Roswell is a shit hole but Cowboy Cafe makes a mean breakfast. If you get into town for dinner, go to Peppers Grill if you like spicy Mexican. They'll ask you a dozen times if you're sure you don't want the green chili on the side and they mean it. Shit should be served with a fire extinguisher.

My #1 CO advice is to skip Pikes Peak. The only reason to go up there is to say you did. If you want to drive a 14er Mount Evans is the far better more scenic drive.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
My #1 CO advice is to skip Pikes Peak. The only reason to go up there is to say you did. If you want to drive a 14er Mount Evans is the far better more scenic drive.
I heard they shut down driving to the top of Pikes Peak. The only way up now is by their shuttle system.
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
My #1 CO advice is to skip Pikes Peak. The only reason to go up there is to win your class
Fixt
Old 01-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadman83 View Post
David in a Jeep....blasphemy...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Itís going to have a Blazer front grille!

Quote:
Roswell is a shit hole but Cowboy Cafe makes a mean breakfast. If you get into town for dinner, go to Peppers Grill if you like spicy Mexican. They'll ask you a dozen times if you're sure you don't want the green chili on the side and they mean it. Shit should be served with a fire extinguisher.

Iíve been to Roswell. I agree. Peppers place sucked. We are planning to hit it for a night to sleep then catching breakfast and heading out. The burger place down the main road was pretty damn good tho. Will look into Mt Evans. Thanks!

Quote:
Old 01-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookey View Post
I heard they shut down driving to the top of Pikes Peak. The only way up now is by their shuttle system.
You can get close, if you have kids in car seats or handicapped they let you go all the way in your vehicle. They let me all the way up on a motorcycle late in the day too. Like 5 PM. Or do the cog railway.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Tentatively:
ColoradoóSan Juan Mountains, Alpine Loop, Pikes Peak, Silverton, Telluride, Ouray, Royal Gorge Train, Black Bear Pass...
Moabó-Top of the World, Delicate Arch, Fins N things, Elephant Hill ?, RimRocker (possible route from CO-Moab?)...
Colorado-
We've done the Alpine loop in a stock JL. There is a wood fired pizza place in Silverton with good food and their own beers worth trying.

In September we ran Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride. It was exceptional but I enjoyed Yankee Boy Basin better. Still haven't got up the balls to run Black Bear Pass.

The drive from Ouray to Moab on the South route is very nice. Very little traffic and the views when you start to see the La Sal mountains is great.

Moab-
Top of the world is great. Delicate arch is crazy packed with people. I'd skip Fins N Things for Hells Revenge if you can't run both. We ran Elephant Hill in a stock JL with little issue. I still day dream about the artichoke dip at Zak's.

The food at The Branding Iron is really good.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 55560
4 people in a jeep is going to be tight. I've done all the San Juan trails and a couple of the Moab trails in a 100 series land cruiser on 35s the past few years and space inside is tight with our family of 4 but doable. I couldn't imagine losing any more interior room though.

Ouray is amazing. The St Elmo hotel has a daily happy hour where the owner gets you drunk off boxed wine and tells you stories of his wild days. Great breakfast there as well.

When you're in Moab, get up early and do the hike to the Delicate Arch at Arches National Park. Make sure you check out Canyonlands National Park as well. Last summer we stayed at the Best Western Canyonlands and the pool was full of hot women in bikinis so that wasn't terrible.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 164491
Ouray is amazing, small town with everything you need and all the surrounding trails are fantastic. I went for FJ Summit last year and am going back again this year.
STEALTH02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #16 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
4 people in a jeep is going to be tight. I've done all the San Juan trails and a couple of the Moab trails in a 100 series land cruiser on 35s the past few years and space inside is tight with our family of 4 but doable. I couldn't imagine losing any more interior room though.

When you're in Moab, get up early and do the hike to the Delicate Arch at Arches National Park.
We've done 4 people in my jeep each time. Enough stuff to have food and drinks, cook on a fire, tent camp etc all packed inside. Each time we have a jump off point though where we dump all the heavy stuff and only take the cooler/food/utensils/chairs with us out on the trail. 9 yo boy and 19 yo girl on this last run. When we drove all over Co and to Moab for a day we had it all in the jeep the whole time. This is from the far side of KS touching MO so very doable. 18 hours to Moab in a 3.8 powered turd jeep on 37's.

Hiking in August in Moab sounds....Hot. So early would be the operative thing I'd say

Quote:
Colorado-
We've done the Alpine loop in a stock JL. There is a wood fired pizza place in Silverton with good food and their own beers worth trying.

Ate at the same joint, very cool. Had a couple beers there as well. We had to take the Million dollar highway down in August this year as all the avalanches had the trail from the loop to Silverton blocked.
You could spend 2 days on the loop and concentrate on the north side/spurs/etc one day and do Lake city, then do the south half another and do Silverton.

In September we ran Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride. It was exceptional but I enjoyed Yankee Boy Basin better. Still haven't got up the balls to run Black Bear Pass.

IIRC Yankee boy is a spur off Imogene as well as Governor basin maybe? Either way you can hit it from either direction of travel on Imogene. We have a cool cookout spot/cave by a stream on Ouray side of Imogene we stop at. Reason I say to Imogene from Telluride to Ouray is because if BB is on the list, that is Ouray to Telluride only, then across town and have a beer, then up and over Ouray.

The drive from Ouray to Moab on the South route is very nice. Very little traffic and the views when you start to see the La Sal mountains is great.

This is the route we took, the south route is super cool.
You come out South of Hole in the Rock, which is a good time waster if you can't get on the trail that day, we went during a downpour and toured the inside, then the rain let up and we went to the zoo, albino Bison, Ostrich, zebra, camel, Watusi, all kinds of crazy stuff. Pretty cool to just be a random spot in a rock middle of nowhere

Moab-
Top of the world is great. Delicate arch is crazy packed with people. I'd skip Fins N Things for Hells Revenge if you can't run both. We ran Elephant Hill in a stock JL with little issue. I still day dream about the artichoke dip at Zak's.

The food at The Branding Iron is really good.
Again, skip fins, do Hell's.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH02 View Post
Ouray is amazing, small town with everything you need and all the surrounding trails are fantastic. I went for FJ Summit last year and am going back again this year.
We stayed at Ouray campground this summer and loved the town. Wish it wouldn't have rained so damn much every day. At least in a Jeep you're covered, it was rough in a RZR.

Mainly, If you have San Juans on your mind as well as Moab, sounds like you have a very small part of the world picked. Pikes Peak is on the other side of the world from there. Long damn ways away. It would be a haul to get over there, and Garden of the Gods is probably cooler if you're going to Springs. We generally play around Taylor Park up to Breck/Leadville when we do a summer trip to CO, but have made it to the San Juans twice. All of it is amazing and plan for plenty of time and for it to be over before you know it.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
We stopped on our way out of Lake City. There is a boat dock on the left side of the road where I took this pic. I think about it often.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep10 View Post
Ate at the same joint, very cool. Had a couple beers there as well. We had to take the Million dollar highway down in August this year as all the avalanches had the trail from the loop to Silverton blocked.
You could spend 2 days on the loop and concentrate on the north side/spurs/etc one day and do Lake city, then do the south half another and do Silverton.

IIRC Yankee boy is a spur off Imogene as well as Governor basin maybe? Either way you can hit it from either direction of travel on Imogene. We have a cool cookout spot/cave by a stream on Ouray side of Imogene we stop at. Reason I say to Imogene from Telluride to Ouray is because if BB is on the list, that is Ouray to Telluride only, then across town and have a beer, then up and over Ouray.
I ordered a Kolsch and the lady asked me if I was sure. She said... "you'll love it." When it arrived and had a floaty berry in it I told her that I finally understood. She said most people send it back because they weren't expecting something to be in their beer.

We ran Yankee Boy Basin separate from Imogene. I don't know if they connect but we ran it by itself and really enjoyed the views at the top. We were there in September so it was really cold up at the top everywhere we went. We always had a truck and trailer setup so we always stayed away from that whole area. Really happy to be in something we can pack all our crap in and enjoy stuff like the million dollar highway.

Top of Yankee Boy Basin.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Vertical Limits

Member # 26443
Quote:
We ran Yankee Boy Basin separate from Imogene. I don't know if they connect but we ran it by itself and really enjoyed the views at the top. .
Ya, if you run Imogene trail from Ouray to Telluride, Yankee Boy and Governor basin are side spurs off the trail, Just and up and back. Still worth it. On the Ouray side.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 118035
We did 7 days/8 nights last summer making a big loop from Denver, heading west on 70, going south to the san juans and then back through Colorado springs, then denver to leave.

The first night arriving in denver, last night at denver, and second to last night in CO springs were the low points of our trip. We spent one night in silverton, one in telluride, one in Silverthorne, and two days in Montrose.

If we did it again, we would do a day in Glenwood Springs (awesome town we only got to have lunch in), spend a day or two in montrose (crazy crawling trails there), then spend the next 5 days between telluride, ouray and silverton.

That whole area is amazing, awe-inspiring, and endless. So many great places to eat, people to meet, and trails to ride.

Although (theres a thread on here) i wouldnt go to that area in June again. I would do it in august/july to make sure all the trails are open. We went the last week of june and most trails were still closed due to snow and avalanches.

I keep skeeming a way to move there but it hasnt worked out yet :fangers:

Last edited by IEATRKS84; 01-15-2020 at 12:31 PM.
IEATRKS84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 176071
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep10 View Post
You get to see a lot of the things that my wife is famous for....
Yeah I think weíre going to need some pics to fully understand this part
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Global Warmer

Member # 33328
Quote:
Yep they're running shuttle buses from the North Slope Recreation Area to the summit. The reasons are because the cog railroad is being overhauled which would add to road traffic and they're also building a new summit house right now so there is little to no parking up there.

One thing to be aware of in the San Juans is the "Jeep Tour" companies. Last time I was down there a few years ago they were using full size dodge pickups w/ stadium seating on some pretty narrow trails and can be difficult to get around. They also act like they own the trails and don't seem to have much regard for who has the right-of-way.

68 Bronco
98 XJ

Last edited by planefixer; 01-15-2020 at 03:37 PM.
planefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Oh yeah, Last time I did Mt Evans it was free if you had a National Parks Annual Pass.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
(possible route from CO-Moab?)...
This may help with the CO part.

https://www.coloradogravelroads.com/
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in