Free-est state to mooch off of? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
Was about to pipe up to add KS to that list, we have no inspections. But thought, wait.....we're full don't want to commie libs moving out here Our property taxes are high, goes with good schools and roads. Don't forget the roads. Miles long, straight and smooth as a babies ass. Tax example, 2 story farm house, 35x35 square, attached 3 car garage, 60x60 metal shed with concrete on 11 acres= $2500/yr. Not the highest in the nation, but there are cheaper. Oh, and our gun laws are good.(for now at least). We are "constitutional carry" now. You can still get a ccp, for carrying in neighboring states. Half day classroom, $150 bucks in fees. With that you skip to the front of the line on getting yellow sheet call ins when buying guns. I think they don't call it in.(?)
I dont think you have any worries about hoards of people invading Kansas.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #52 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Dont they have retarded high property tax?
“Montana has relatively low taxes on residential real estate. The state's average effective property tax rate is 0.85%, lower than the national average of 1.19%.”
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Here you go. We can split it and has renters in place.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-09634?view=qv
Interested
Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
I do this with Florida. Can even change your address on the license to wherever you want to get your titles, reg mailed to. Cops look at you funny with a fl license and ny address, I say I'm a snowbird. They run it and it all checks out. There are tax/tag company's that will handle DMV for you down there as well.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
I dont think you have any worries about hoards of people invading Kansas.
Says someone from the shithole Illinois!
Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #56 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Says someone from the shithole Illinois!
Oh I 100% agree! I'm trying to relocate and I dont know how the fuck im going to sell my house LOL!! Saying that I had a company offer to move me to KS a few years ago and i turned it down before i even got to pay!

This place is a hell hole trust me, about the only thing we dont have is vehicle inspections unlike the alleged free states!!

Last edited by Gslander; 01-15-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Gslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Quote:
Was about to pipe up to add KS to that list, we have no inspections. But thought, wait.....we're full don't want to commie libs moving out here Our property taxes are high, goes with good schools and roads. Don't forget the roads. Miles long, straight and smooth as a babies ass. Tax example, 2 story farm house, 35x35 square, attached 3 car garage, 60x60 metal shed with concrete on 11 acres= $2500/yr. Not the highest in the nation, but there are cheaper. Oh, and our gun laws are good.(for now at least). We are "constitutional carry" now. You can still get a ccp, for carrying in neighboring states. Half day classroom, $150 bucks in fees. With that you skip to the front of the line on getting yellow sheet call ins when buying guns. I think they don't call it in.(?)
I hear you. My area is consistently listed in the top 10 places to live in the US. I'm thinking shut up or it won't be for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Florida if you owned the vehicle more than 6 months they don't collect sales tax

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
You would struggle to get me to live in FL, but I've considered investing in real estate there several times. You have about any market you want there. Tourist vacation rentals, suburbia, city life in Miami, military all over the place. A good deal of variety and the diversity gives it stability. Favorable tax situation and gun laws are a nice consideration for OP especially in my mind since he isn't planning on actually living there.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:41 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 7968
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy84 View Post
If you still have a job in California, As soon as you try and claim a house in another state as your primary resident, you’ve thrown up a massive red flag for audit.

You’ll be risking quite a bit of trouble, for very little gain imo. And I will promise you right now, if you’re audited and try and keep up the lie that you’re somehow working in California and your primary is in another state, they’ll easily prove you’re lying and make your life hell.
What am I missing, he’ll still have to pay CA tax here since income was derived here. Why would they complain what he calls perm residency?

I worked at FTB for a few years, they had a division that looked at high income folks (ball players, movie stars, execs) and would look at calendars and event schedules to get the number of in state days to compute taxes. Didn’t care where they claimed residency.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
So I'm toying with the idea of buying a rental property in a state most beneficial to me to use as my primary residence on paper.

What I would be looking for is...

No smog or vehichle inspections
Low registration costs
Least amount of gun laws as far as purchasing and transfers are considered
Low property taxes
Lowest purchase price vs return
Somewhere middle class or better to hopefully help with tenant quality.
West Virginia

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #60 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
What am I missing, he’ll still have to pay CA tax here since income was derived here. Why would they complain what he calls perm residency?

I worked at FTB for a few years, they had a division that looked at high income folks (ball players, movie stars, execs) and would look at calendars and event schedules to get the number of in state days to compute taxes. Didn’t care where they claimed residency.
I'm not sure if California does this or whatever states that he buys house/claims residency but claiming homestead exemption on property taxes is one issue that immediately comes to mind. Also if he buys/declares residency in another state that has income tax he'll get to pay state tax twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:

I think NY does the same, a couple of years back someone (a talk show personality perhaps?) was talking about how when they came to NY they had to keep a schedule of what they did so they could prove that it was a personal trip and no business was conducted on it.

Aaron Z
Old 01-16-2020, 07:56 AM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
i'm curious what your 540NR looks like. are you under the income limit? that would make sense, but otherwise, CA wants their cut.

a few years back I had to go through a few layers of letters back and forth with the CA FTB as i'm a CA resident with non-CA source income and non-CA domicile and they thought I owed them money
I don't know what a 540NR is, an accountant does my taxes. I have never been a CA resident. What is this income limit?
Drakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 90667
To do this "legally" you are required to prove you make money in that state and live there at least part time. At least I tried to do this twice across state lines and failed. Both times I was audited by the state (NC) and had to reclaim the state I actually work in. Good ole Nc with a 7% state tax where as TN has none.

I found out that military has an exception.

Another way out is a house rental in another state where you can claim at least a couple of months residency along with rent. That can probably be done fairly easy. I'm still working on that way myself.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #64 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
Quote:
shit balls part is that CA will still want to tax your income there.
Yep. California is so broke they tax anything and anyone they can. My wife is a CPA here in Texas. She has clients that invest in "deals" and all kinds of stuff. Several are invested (very small investments) in deals and things in California. California taxes the shit out of any "profit" from the deals they are invested in. If they lost money that year they still have to file a CA tax return and pay a $50 fee for the privilege. There is no way he's avoiding taxes.

Quote:
If you still have a job in California, As soon as you try and claim a house in another state as your primary resident, you’ve thrown up a massive red flag for audit.

You’ll be risking quite a bit of trouble, for very little gain imo. And I will promise you right now, if you’re audited and try and keep up the lie that you’re somehow working in California and your primary is in another state, they’ll easily prove you’re lying and make your life hell.
And this. Massive red flag. Your almost guaranteed an audit on a regular basis.

You might run into an issue with your auto insurance. I believe most policies require you to notify them of where you live 9 months of the year / majority of the year. It's been several years, but a friend got hammered on this. I also ran into this in college. If you and the wife get into accidents or get tickets in CA often, you could run into issues. It could also give your company a reason to deny a claim based on fraud. This may not be the case anymore, but look into it.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:

He wants to buy a house in another state, rent it out and claim residency on it for vehicle registration and gun purposes. Meanwhile, he has a paper trail that makes it very obvious that he’s primarily a California resident.

Every red flag that you don’t want to throw up for the IRS has been lifted, so they’ll easily catch on, audit him, establish that he’s evaded taxes by not claiming the rent as income. The penalties and interest, depending on how long it takes them to catch on will be thousands, or worse. Blatant tax fraud isn’t a good idea
Old 01-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3088
Quote:
He wants to buy a house in another state, rent it out and claim residency on it for vehicle registration and gun purposes. Meanwhile, he has a paper trail that makes it very obvious that he’s primarily a California resident.

Every red flag that you don’t want to throw up for the IRS has been lifted, so they’ll easily catch on, audit him, establish that he’s evaded taxes by not claiming the rent as income. The penalties and interest, depending on how long it takes them to catch on will be thousands, or worse. Blatant tax fraud isn’t a good idea
Wait, but asking about it first on the internet is still ok though, right?
Things are moving to fast for waterhorse.
Gozuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
And he won't be able to bring any of the guns he buys in a free state back to California

And he won't be able to claim his house in California, which is most likely worth far more money and thus far higher taxes, as primary and write off a lot with it.

I guess I'm too dumb to see the point behind all this :shrug:

if you want to "live" in a free state, why don't you actually live there

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 10:32 AM   #68 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
I have to big of a close knot family and circle of friends that I wouldnt want to move away from.

Anyhow through som pms it looks like owning rental property in texas may be realistic in 6 months or so
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #69 (permalink)
/b/

Member # 196031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Finding a town with a military base with aviation is a good choice. Pilots tend to be clean and have wives with high standards and you get steady rent for the few years they are there.
This is exactly what my parents do. They have rentals throughout the Southern Cali and AZ, mostly around Marine Corps Air Stations and have had exactly ZERO problems with any of their renters in the past 20 years.

Quote:
I guess I don't understand what is the plan then

at the end of the day, it will be more trouble than it's worth; doubly so if tax evasion isn't part of the plan
Registration on a new truck in CA can approach $800-900/yr. None of my vehicles are less than $300 to register, even the 10+ year old ones. $300-$900 times 4 or 5 cars adds up fast. You can get permanent registration on vehicles 11+ yrs old for $87 in Montana.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyBait View Post
This is exactly what my parents do. They have rentals throughout the Southern Cali and AZ, mostly around Marine Corps Air Stations and have had exactly ZERO problems with any of their renters in the past 20 years.

Registration on a new truck in CA can approach $800-900/yr. None of my vehicles are less than $300 to register, even the 10+ year old ones. $300-$900 times 4 or 5 cars adds up fast. You can get permanent registration on vehicles 11+ yrs old for $87 in Montana.
My 2018 Ram 3500's registration was $1272 this year.

I can't wait to be out of here.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 110516
The rental market in Wyoming fluctuates wildly with our oil/gas/coal based economy. Places that rent for $1500-2000 a month in a boom will rent for half of that (or less) in a down turn and have vacancy. Otherwise, Wyoming is pretty awesome if you don't like people or big cities and can handle the weather.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #72 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyBait View Post

this is tax fraud.

income vs property, same concept. just sayin', no reason to go half hog

hell I know people in CA who simply keep paper dealer advertisement lic plates and also keep their trucks washed and never pay registration.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
What about creating a business in another state and using it for much of the same purposes. There has to be a common mans version of the rich guy shell corporation strategy.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Quote:
Dont they have retarded high property tax?

Yes. And 10% income tax.

I'm in a small town and I pay $2800/yr for a 190k house on 2 lots.

Old vehicles are cheap. My 88 wears permanent plates that were $45. My 00' was $150. My buddies 18 was $790/yr. New vehicles (3 yes or less) they gouge you and it drops off after that. Permanent plates available for 3 yrs taxes after they're 10 years old.

We do allow suppressor hunting. Tags are horrendous and you'll loose everything they can get their hands on if you get caught buying resident tags without actually living here.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 86724
https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l.../103-456266967

chp.ca.gov/PressReleases/Pages/CHP-REVAMPS-REGISTRATION-VIOLATORS-PROGRAM.aspx

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The California Highway Patrol (CHP) today announced a new CHP Registration Enforcement and Guidance (CHP REG) program to reduce out-of-state registration violators. The CHP REG program replaces the Californians Help Eliminate All The Evasive Registration Scofflaws (CHEATERS) program.

Since the program’s inception in 2004, the CHP has recovered approximately $26 million in registration fees. In 2018, the CHP surpassed $3.2 million in recovered fees from residents avoiding California registration.

“California loses millions of dollars in revenue every year from vehicles being unlawfully registered in other states or countries,” CHP Commissioner Warren Stanley said. “This program relies on the public’s input to support our investigators in returning funding to the state. Recovered registration fees are important to the California economy and are invested back into local communities.”

The CHP REG program focuses on residents who register their vehicles out-of-state while living or working in California and operate those vehicles on California’s roadways. The primary goal of the program is to obtain voluntary registration compliance through education, but, when necessary, enforcement action is taken.

California vehicle registration through the Department of Motor Vehicles is required within 20 days of establishing residency and for all vehicles primarily operated in the state.

The CHP encourages members of the public to report vehicles driven on a regular basis on California roadways with out-of-state registration to the CHP REG program Web site at https://www.chp.ca.gov/Notify-CHP/CH...tion-Violators). When reporting a suspected violator, it is important to include: state of the plate, license plate number, date and time observed, where observed, make, model, vehicle color, and any additional identifying comments. In 2018, more than 24,000 tips were reported to the Web site, leading directly to cases investigated by CHP personnel and dedicated senior volunteers.

The mission of the CHP is to provide the highest level of Safety, Service, and Security.
and revenue generation if you're not paying "your fair share"

Last edited by 87manche; 01-17-2020 at 04:37 PM.
87manche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in