flat roof repair - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 101927
flat roof repair

The garage at the house I rent has a flat roof and it started leaking the other day. Go up on the roof and one of the tar seams is split at the middle for about 24" and is the obvious problem. Water is pooling in this area when it rains.
The flat roof is constructed of about 36" wide sections of what looks like shingle material, that run the length of the building, with tar seams at the overlaps.

Landlord is super old lady that wants me to fix it. I know jack shit about roofs.

Is the wet patch stuff in a can from home cheepo good stuff? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-...R142/100041225
or should I go elsewhere?
Will just scraping off the old tar that will come off and put a new coat down on the problem area be good enough? my youtube research tells me I should put some of that fiber mesh in between 2 layers of the wet patch. Is that really necessary for a flat roof?
Thanks for any input.

Last edited by samy crawler; 01-15-2020 at 11:44 AM.
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Roof patch will work for awhile until you can torch down a proper patch.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26382
Henry's!

It'll fix the leak, but you will end up wearing it!
Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
Roof patch will work for awhile until you can torch down a proper patch.
Is that an easy process? Are the supplies common at home cheepo or the like? Landlord is paying for the goods. I dont see myself living here more than a couple years.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
Henry's!

It'll fix the leak, but you will end up wearing it!
Yep, Henry's bear shit. It's impossible not to put on 3x more then what's needed.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Order trusses, 2x4's, screws, and metal roofing.
Install on top of flat roof.
Enjoy not having perpetual roof leaks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would if i owned the place.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 689026
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
The garage at the house I rent has a flat roof and it started leaking the other day. Go up on the roof and one of the tar seams is split at the middle for about 24" and is the obvious problem. Water is pooling in this area when it rains.
The flat roof is constructed of about 36" wide sections of what looks like shingle material, that run the length of the building, with tar seams at the overlaps.

Landlord is super old lady that wants me to fix it. I know jack shit about roofs.

Is the wet patch stuff in a can from home cheepo good stuff? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-...R142/100041225
or should I go elsewhere?
Will just scraping off the old tar that will come off and put a new coat down on the problem area be good enough? my youtube research tells me I should put some of that fiber mesh in between 2 layers of the wet patch. Is that really necessary for a flat roof?
Thanks for any input.
That wet patch is really for temporary purpose. 1 layer of mesh is 2 course and 2 layers is 3 course. We usually throw that stuff down for any new equipment on a roof until we can roof it in, or when we want to "tie" off a section of roof and keep it water tight till we "tie" back in with the rest of the roof, and last but not least for leak season and need a stop till we can tear that section out and fix.

That cap sheet or torch down material whatever it may be that is up there is adhered the entire back surface of that sheet...not just at the seams. What you see at the seems is it pushing out when applied and the cap broomed down.

So you can get a utility knife cut out that section, use a spud bar/big blade scraper and pull that sheet off...scrape any of the asphalt off. There is peel n stick cap sheet you can throw down, or you can get a torch and put some asphalt down and cap, or use a cold process.

Using the mesh and mastic at the seam might save ya a little time but if it's pooling up that's more the issue. You'll end up patching all over that roof at some point.

You can roof right over that as well but again I'd be more concerned on what and why it's pooling up.

If she will foot the bill a whole tear off and new roof would be best or like mentioned go metal roof over existing cap sheet roof.
Footy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 100949
I have a question.
All the flat roofs I've seen around here have loose rocks scattered on them....what is the purpose of those?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 689026
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILAKE2 View Post
I have a question.
All the flat roofs I've seen around here have loose rocks scattered on them....what is the purpose of those?
Like a commercial size building??

If you're talking about river rock on the roof...it's main purpose is ballast for the rubber epdm beneath it and for protection of the rubber membrane. It provides a walking surface although almost every roof like that has walk pathway, stone pavers etc. for pathway.

The rubber is sprayed down with a asphalt based adhesive and rock is spread over that. The adhesive also helps over time with aging rubber, in the summer the adhesive softens up and "self levels" into cracks or dry rubber

If you're talking about little white granules , then that is just the cap sheet granules getting loose over time on a cap sheet roof

Last edited by Footy84; 01-15-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 684914
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAjmnpvJgo

follow this to the best of your ability and you'll be golden. Karnak products are available at home depot and are all I use professionally for asphalt roof repairs. If you have a granulated membrane just scrape off anything loose with your trowel before you sweep it clean and you'll be good to go for a few years at least

Go easy once you open the pail. The shit gets everywhere in a hurry and will end up everywhere you dont want it before you even realize whats going on
D Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Nelly View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMAjmnpvJgo

follow this to the best of your ability and you'll be golden. Karnak products are available at home depot and are all I use professionally for asphalt roof repairs. If you have a granulated membrane just scrape off anything loose with your trowel before you sweep it clean and you'll be good to go for a few years at least

Go easy once you open the pail. The shit gets everywhere in a hurry and will end up everywhere you dont want it before you even realize whats going on
thats the video i got my youtube certification on last night. my home cheepo doesnt stock karnack, just the henry stuff. seems about the same but thought id ask the professionals. Yes it is a granulated membrane. about 36" wide sheets of it.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 86724
dad and I put an EPDM roof on his garage a few years back. It's been leak free.

it wasn't that hard.
I'd rather do that shit than hot tar.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 66264
have used gallons of Henrys wet patch,,it'll work fine for your seam patch....wet patch is made to apply to a wet roof, spread it on a little thick ...will last 'till spring when you can do it correctly..
Ken 83 CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 684914
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
thats the video i got my youtube certification on last night. my home cheepo doesnt stock karnack, just the henry stuff. seems about the same but thought id ask the professionals. Yes it is a granulated membrane. about 36" wide sheets of it.
In that case you'll be fine with whatever flashing cement type product they have. I've never used the Henry but I'm sure it's all the same
D Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
I've fixed 2 out of my three flat roofs with trusses and shingles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Easy and effective is get some mesh, I use fiberglass from the folks that sell it for waterproof decking. Use the Henry's Asphalt emulsion and one of the roofing brushes on a stick. Layer of the emulsion on the area after sweeping off the loose stuff, lay the mesh in it, brush another coat on top. That is the process they want you to do under their high dollar elastomeric and silicone coatings. Works very well even in areas with ponding even though it is recommended against. Being one of those blessed with a flat root, excess rain that we rarely get, and roofers that can't get here, I've had to figure out easy ways to deal with that crap.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

On a rental?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2020, 12:17 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 133589
Rental? Tarps and tires....
Old 01-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 78700
Send a message via Yahoo to sickboyboone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanhelden View Post

I was actually thinking 7 cans of flex-seal multi colored cuz the hardware store only stocks 2 cans of each

Old 01-16-2020, 02:26 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILAKE2 View Post
I have a question.
They are tar and gravel roofs. Hot mopped tar, with a layer of gravel. The gravel protects the tar from the sun.
santa V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 05:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 50025
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa V2.0 View Post
They are tar and gravel roofs. Hot mopped tar, with a layer of gravel. The gravel protects the tar from the sun.
This^^ unless the rocks are larger 1" - 1-1/2" then it would be a ballasted membrane system. The rock is there to hold the roof down. The insulation and membrane are laid in loose you then put to rock on top to keep it from blowing away.

As far as the repair goes. That product should work fine. Make sure the surface is clean and dry. Put a layer of black shit a layer of some sort of mesh and another layer of black shit. If you do it right it should last a few years. The water sitting there is your enemy. Water and asphalt don't mix.

Last edited by purplejeep86; 01-16-2020 at 05:57 AM.
purplejeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 689026
Quote:
Originally Posted by santa V2.0 View Post
Nowadays it's built up with asphalt, sprayed with an asphalt adhesive and gravel on top if it's not cap sheet. Really don't use hot tar anymore too, hot asphalt is all we use. Yes there is a difference bt tar and asphalt. The same adhesive is also used on rubber epdm river rock ballasted membrane

Also just cuz regardless of what people are saying, and I've posted it once already the fact that it's pooling up is your problem.

So if you just gonna be there another 6 months, then roof patch it. We use APOC brand and they have it for cold weather and warm weather cans. Get a trowel , green mesh, green wrist length gloves, utility knife and that's all you need. It is messy but the guys that get it everywhere just aren't paying attention or how to spread mesh onto the patch.

If this is a long term rental you're better off talking to owner about new garage roof.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboyboone View Post
On a rental?

Pirate problems require pirate solutions.

larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanhelden View Post
I would if it wasnt a flat roof. The tarp would need to be like 40 x 50 in order to work, because it would need to cover the whole roof, otherwise water will still get to the spot that is compromised.

I picked up some henrys and the asphalt fabric tape and put a nice seal on it last night. It is supposed to rain pretty good today so we'll see when I get home from work today. It is right above my toolbox and workbench so this shits gotta be fixed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in