Cool things you find - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
Cool things you find

When you live in your grandparents old house.

Letter from Henry Ford II thanking my grandfather for 30 years of employment. He retired at 35 years.

Plaque commemorating the Battle of Batogne. This one is a mystery to me as this grandfather didnít serve.

This is not really a big deal. Mr Troutt was my grandfatherís best friend. I have no doubt my grandpa made this for him. What is interesting to me is that I deal regularly with a gentleman with the same name. Same spelling and everything. Iím going to reach out tomorrow to see if he knows if there is any relation. If there is, I will give this to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd93 View Post

Plaque commemorating the Battle of Batogne. This one is a mystery to me as this grandfather didn’t serve.

that's pretty dope

just memorabilia from the time, anything to raise war funds and patriotic support would be my guess. news traveled differently back then

if you are giving it away, i'll pay for shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362876048220

edit: cool enough to hang on to

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 01-15-2020 at 05:35 PM.
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
that's pretty dope

just memorabilia from the time, anything to raise war funds and patriotic support would be my guess. news traveled differently back then

if you are giving it away, i'll pay for shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362876048220

edit: cool enough to hang on to

Iím sure there is some tie to the family. My grandfather on my momís side served during WW2, but from what I read his unit wasnít involved in that battle. Itís possible it came from a great uncle. I need to reach out to a couple of relatives on his side to see what they know. If I canít find a family connection I may look to sell it. I did a round of cleaning already and itís cleaning up nicely.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Grandparents have all the good stuff. Found a Hamms service tray and a cool old ashtray down in my grandparents' basement bar. Before this past Christmas I had a dream about cartoon crow lights. Rummaging around the grandparents at Christmas my grandmother had set aside a bottle topper spout, yeah it's old crow brand, crow in a top hat....

Best thing I found was my grandfather's airforce uniform. After he passed there was talk of it, but it hadnt been seen in ages. I found it putting things in the attic. When I gave it to my grandmother she couldn't believe it, tears of joy having that piece of him back.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
https://www.numismaticnews.net/milit...stogne-plaques

link for more info

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 173375
Probably not all that interesting to anyone outside the family, but I have a couple old cigar boxes full of my grandpas (dads side) great grandpa, and great great grandpa (moms side) cancelled checks, checkbooks, reciepts, and other various farm paperwork.
Stuff was cheap in the last 20s... And its funny to see a bunch of checks written out for less than a dollar
95stepside is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
Grandparents have all the good stuff. Found a Hamms service tray and a cool old ashtray down in my grandparents' basement bar. Before this past Christmas I had a dream about cartoon crow lights. Rummaging around the grandparents at Christmas my grandmother had set aside a bottle topper spout, yeah it's old crow brand, crow in a top hat....

Best thing I found was my grandfather's airforce uniform. After he passed there was talk of it, but it hadnt been seen in ages. I found it putting things in the attic. When I gave it to my grandmother she couldn't believe it, tears of joy having that piece of him back.

That uniform find is super cool. I need to go through all of mine and find complete sets to put away for posterity sake.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post

Read the same thing on another site. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Helped my aunt move a couple years ago and found a campaign poster for JFK. Also a collection of tobacco pipes and the 1921 Notre Dame year book(my great grand dad graduated from there and never left South Bend).
Old 01-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
Have been going through my parents house of 55 years because I am the executor of the estate. Finding a lot of stuff I never knew they had. Found all of my Grandfathers (Mothers Father) Ellis Island paperwork, permission to immigrate papers, even his application he filled out at the US consulate in Sudetenland, a portion of the Check Republic annexed by Hitler in 1938. Grandfather was a German citizen living in that area. His parents decided to get the hell out of there.

Found family history from my father's side dating back to just after the Revolutionary War (1790) from Ohio. Grandfather was a state trooper there before moving to California in 1930's. What a beautiful place Encinitas and San Diego must have been in those days. Found pictures of my dad while he was in the army in Korea. He never talked about that, ever. I know he wasn't there very long as the war ended about a month into his tour. Got my Dad's M1 Garand he bought for $3 from a pile of them at the PX after the war.

My parents, grandparents never seemed to be interested in our family history. They were much more interested in where they were going and not where they came from, so they didn't talk about it much.

Best part is my dad kept all of his dad's old tools and guns and no one else is interested in them.

Last edited by BDK; 01-15-2020 at 09:55 PM.
BDK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 176071
No pics but I had to break into a safe a customer brought in about 15 years ago. It belonged to his recently deceased grandfather and contained dozens of old calendars, I snuck a quick look through a few of them and every day had a detailed description of what his grandpa did, meals, who he met with etc.
The calendars I did look at were from the mid sixties. I hope the grandkid kept them.
Vinman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 02:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 82607
When my grandparents passed and we got the house which was right next door we found 15 gallon cardboard barrels full of used brass (Big Grampa loved to reload and shoot) We also found some small amounts of cash in cans in the basement along with leftover ration books from the "Great Depression" era.
I'm not sure what ever happened to them.
I do have a double barrel 20 ga shotgun that has been cut down on both ends to make it easier for a child to carry it.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 54455
Parachute, presumably ran when parked.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:23 AM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
Have been going through my parents house of 55 years because I am the executor of the estate. Finding a lot of stuff I never knew they had. Found all of my Grandfathers (Mothers Father) Ellis Island paperwork, permission to immigrate papers, even his application he filled out at the US consulate in Sudetenland, a portion of the Check Republic annexed by Hitler in 1938. Grandfather was a German citizen living in that area. His parents decided to get the hell out of there.

Found family history from my father's side dating back to just after the Revolutionary War (1790) from Ohio. Grandfather was a state trooper there before moving to California in 1930's. What a beautiful place Encinitas and San Diego must have been in those days. Found pictures of my dad while he was in the army in Korea. He never talked about that, ever. I know he wasn't there very long as the war ended about a month into his tour. Got my Dad's M1 Garand he bought for $3 from a pile of them at the PX after the war.

My parents, grandparents never seemed to be interested in our family history. They were much more interested in where they were going and not where they came from, so they didn't talk about it much.

Best part is my dad kept all of his dad's old tools and guns and no one else is interested in them.

The older I get the more interested I get in my familyís history. Maybe itís because all of my grandparents have passed and I feel like I am losing some of that.

Old 01-16-2020, 04:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 16963
The most unsettling thing I found while clearing out grandma's house was a photo my grandpa took of a large stack of bodies at Dachau. I also found a couple "mother's crosses" which I assume were mementos from the enemy.

Growing up, he said he'd tell me war stories when I turned 13. That conversation never happened.
BruthDoobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthDoobie View Post
The most unsettling thing I found while clearing out grandma's house was a photo my grandpa took of a large stack of bodies at Dachau. I also found a couple "mother's crosses" which I assume were mementos from the enemy.

Growing up, he said he'd tell me war stories when I turned 13. That conversation never happened.
I've seen a few similar photos, can still see them in my head.

When I was a teenager my maternal grandfather offered me a nazi flag that he brought back from his tour. I turned it down. Kinda regretting that now.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
I am over at my parent's house this morning. I was up in the loft over the RV garage and found a new army footlocker. I mean its pristine. Stuffed into the corner and covered with a bunch of old camping gear. 1 old Coleman liquid fuel camp stove, 2 propane stoves. And, 2 old school 5 gallon gas cans that look new. Original gun boxes to nearly all of my dad's guns. Score.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 253146
I have all the old diaries from one of my Great Aunts. They start in 1907 or something like that. She wrote in those everyday. Its that handwriting that they hook every word together and they are hard to read. From another great Aunt I got some old Dynamite case (from when you could go down to the local hardware store and buy the stuff) and a bunch of uncancelled postage stamps (no upside down planes though). My mom got an old crank up Victrola record player with records from my Great Grandparents, and it still works.

Lots f history from around Co from my moms side. Homesteading and such. My Great Grandfather got one of the last homesteads in Colorado and its still in the family.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Slow

Member # 126828
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruthDoobie View Post

My Grandfather was part of the liberation of Dachau. He, towards the end of his life told stories from the war, but almost nothing about Dachau. We have a picture of him and others at the gate accepting the German surrender of the camp.

Lots of mementos from the war have been found over time in their old house.

Last edited by AGUNTHER; 01-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.
AGUNTHER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 777769
My grandfather was a captain in the marines and made marksman. He was very into shooting. When he passed away he left me some guns that I donít know much about.

One has only a Winchester marking and a serial number. No caliber ID. Looks to be .22 cal rifle cartridge. It has all the features to make a precision rifle.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
My grandfather was a captain in the marines and made marksman. He was very into shooting. When he passed away he left me some guns that I donít know much about.

One has only a Winchester marking and a serial number. No caliber ID. Looks to be .22 cal rifle cartridge. It has all the features to make a precision rifle.

.243?
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
whats with the mag floor plate? dunno if its the pic but looks kinda bent.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 860424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post

220 swift?
Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
Iíll take a better pic when I get home. It doesnít sit flush with the bottom of the stock, I thought it was made like that? I noticed it and thought the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
220 swift?
That was my guess. The other gun I got is chambered in that too so itís likely. My brother kept a beautiful.22 that I was drooling over. Other brother wanted the 30-06
Old 01-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
Still think itís bent?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in