Must-Haves for new house & shop (realistic) - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 25632
The drain in the shop and laundry room is a good one.

To add to the floor heat. I'd do it on the walls of the shower if possible. I love large tile showers, but unless you let the water run for ever the walls are like ice.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 04:09 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 54455
Some redundant ideas, some new:

Shop:
Ethernet
LED lights
hot water, large sink
I like windows
insulation everywhere
Outlets in the ceiling

House:
Gas instant water heater on a recirc pump
Remote mount exhaust fans for bathrooms and kitchen - mounted in the attic.
Biggest exhaust fans you can afford, especially in the kitchen.
Insulate all interior walls for sound deadening. If it's 2 story, insulation under the stairs.
Spray foam in the attic. Make that "conditioned space".
Plenty of lights in the attic with full flooring. No trusses.
2x8 blocking in between studs near wall mounted fixtures like towel racks.
Around here, fully encapsulated crawl space. Make that shit "conditioned space" too.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Drop "chain cans " into your shop floor for anchoring, frame pulling, body work, etc, buy them or build them with a flush mounted cover
This one is for existing floors

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/cha...0-p-11538.aspx
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 05:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
This times a million, home and shop. After staying in a place with radiant floor heat, it's the way to go. No cold spots, and no cold feet.

Ideally, I'd have a wood burning furnace in the shop that has provisions to heat the normal water for showers and the fluid for the floor heat. As a back up for those days when you get home after being gone all weekend or whatever, I'd still have gas or electric available to heat both the water and fluid.
I dont think that would work to well in a shop. It takes a gas fired boiler quite a while to bring a floor up to temp. A wood stove would take even longer. Gas heat only way to go for a shop imo. I considered a wood stove for mine until I really thought about it. What about those times when your just going out there for a one hour project? It will take you an hour until the shop is to temp by the time it takes to build a fire and to warm the place up, and god forbid you open a big door lol. I can heat my shop up from my phone with a wifi tstat and its warm when I get home.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Didn't read any of the previous posts, but here are my recommendations:

House:
make sure to include a minimum of 2 outlets on every wall.
you can never have enough food storage, add a pantry or cellar
in floor heating is great for preventing cold floors, but don't rely on it as the sole source of heat, it gets really pricy in the cold of winter

Shop:
pre plan the layout and make sure the wall(s) you plan to put workbenches on have plenty of outlets.
add additional outlets to the celling and use cord reels instead of dragging extension cords all over the floor.
add multiple 220V outlets (minimum of 3)
minimum of 14' celling and include the reinforcement and proper foundation for adding a 2 post lift.
when wiring the lighting, add outlets on the wall that will allow you to mount fixtures at waist height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 112738
You need a cordless Milwaukee grease gun or all of your plans are going to fail.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 232666
Outdoor wood boiler with in floor in the house and gas furnace for backup, and ac.
Use a furnace in the shop with water to air heat exchanger off the top so your boiler can feed it, then it's gas backup (but only if you plan on heating fill time.) Otherwise just get a air handler with the heat exchanger on top.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:51 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 66852
More power. If you think 200 amp service will do, get 400 amp.

This might depend on your location but for me, central air in both house and shop are a must, also in-floor radiant heating in the shop with a lift.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #34 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 14010
Send a message via AIM to 87yj38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Ethernet to building eves for security cams. Power by the fireplace to run insert fan.

I would like laundry room type area to have almost a shower type area, could wash dog, hang wet jackets, or some clothes we wash are better to hang dry. This place would let drips be contained.
I'm the design stages of my shop right now and doing exactly this. Someplace to wash dogs with a wall mount shower head for me as well. So easy to do initially.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:03 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Shop needs internet--bury a cable. In the same trench I'd probably run an air line--my wife and I have talked about the utility of that several times.

For the house, everyone has different needs. The main thing I'd say is make sure everything is focused on utility. Obvious, I know, but most people get it wrong. My kitchen is really a little cramped, but I have a freaking dining room. That's just a table to pile laundry in my house. Focus on what matters--for us on the next house, it is closet storage, a big kitchen with a big island, nice sized pantry like we have, a big living room, and that's pretty much it. Our master BR is bigger than it really needs to be. I wish our guest room had multiple closets, and probably a Murphy bed. That way it can be used for something the 99% of the time you don't have company. As it is, it's a queen bed, a single closet, a gun safe, and a rowing machine. Rowing in there feels very cramped. It seems like a fold-up bed would make that room much more usable.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 07:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps4jeep View Post
This might depend on your location but for me, central air in both house and shop are a must
Around here I wouldn't even consider insulating a personal garage/shop. It would just lead to more sweating when the temperature changes rapidly. A heated shop would be nice but is not in any way necessary in New England.

A waste oil furnace or wood stove is one thing but heating and cooling a shop you don't spend the majority of your working hours running a money making business out of is just pissing away money. Being a pussy is expensive

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 01-16-2020 at 07:35 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
I dont think that would work to well in a shop. It takes a gas fired boiler quite a while to bring a floor up to temp. A wood stove would take even longer. Gas heat only way to go for a shop imo. I considered a wood stove for mine until I really thought about it. What about those times when your just going out there for a one hour project? It will take you an hour until the shop is to temp by the time it takes to build a fire and to warm the place up, and god forbid you open a big door lol. I can heat my shop up from my phone with a wifi tstat and its warm when I get home.
Well the idea with the furnace is that you keep it going, but ya, floor heat is slow to warm up. I have a diesel torpedo heater that would probably be helpful for those real quick things. Not that you really need a warm shop when you're just going out for a bit. Never said it had to be the only heat anyway

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 01-16-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
clear space basement, use metal I-beams, to carry your joists, no lally columns.

"bump out" foundation for mechanical room to save inside space
its only small upcharge for the concrete

run pex pipe in slab for future heated floor
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 25448
One thing I want to do in my next house is a central wood fireplace that can radiate enough heat to keep the house from freezing. It would be a backup to natural gas forced air an would save a huge amount of headache if we were to get an extended power outage in the -35C weather we are having now.

Mud room with a door. Dogs can be closed in. Shitty or greasy coveralls hung. Boot racks and dryers. Laundry. The whole mud room built like a shower basin with a floor drain because your main floor laundry will eventually puke water all over the floor and its best if it isn't finding its way downstairs through your basement light fixtures.

Permanent provisions to blow out the sprinklers would be nice.. If blowing out sprinklers is a thing where you are. If you could run an airline to your basement manifold area it would be quick and easy to build with valves.

I also want to move my modular home off my 80 ac property and build a ~1000 sqft home with basement (maybe half a 2nd story?) where the current house is.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
If you can't have walk/roll in access to your basement build a bulkhead area with a flat floor and removable stairs so that you can easily install/remove furnace, milling machine, etc, etc. with a small portable gantry and a chain hoist. Machine tools last much longer in a cool dry basement than they do in a garage that's subject to temperature swings (especially an air conditioned garage) so if you do have walk in access to your basement strongly consider using that space for that sort of shop work.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 01-16-2020 at 07:40 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfire View Post
Outdoor wood boiler with in floor in the house and gas furnace for backup, and ac.
Use a furnace in the shop with water to air heat exchanger off the top so your boiler can feed it, then it's gas backup (but only if you plan on heating fill time.) Otherwise just get a air handler with the heat exchanger on top.
That more or less what I was thinking, but have the furnace in the shop to utilize some of the heat.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 25448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 40s View Post
Biggest exhaust fans you can afford, especially in the kitchen.
I know a family that took this to heart and ended up having to install makeup air and air-air heat exchanger in their house. So keep in mind that if you have the biggest exhaust fans you can afford, the air needs to come from somewhere.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 181882
I don't know if I can do a basement or not yet, there is solid rock about 3' down, and until I get a big excavator in there, I won't really know if it's feasible or not. (early spring) The rock is a sure thing, just don't know what kind of rock, and how solid. If it is a basement, it wont be a daylight basement. (not enough hill)

I am really against radiant heat in the shop floor (the house will be wood floored) I know too many people who have had nightmarish problems. I have a wood stove and a heat pump in my current house, and i'm really happy with that system. I have R30 in the floor, R21 in the walls, and R49 in the ceiling, we turn off the heat all night and only loose 10 degrees in the winter, turn off the A/C and open windows most summer nights.

I run standard bath fans with 3" hard ducting and they clear out the condensation fast, but I live in a pretty arid area.

Anybody here ever used a heat pump in a shop ? I will do a woodstove in the shop for sure, I have access to lots of wood, but a heat pump seems like it would be awesome.

I'm planning on a 400a service to the shop, with a 200a jumper to the house.
oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 217829
ADA shower.

All interior doors 36" wide.

If ceilings are over 8', use 8' interior doors.

Frame wall or floor safe in master closet.

All plumbing vents run to an attic manifold for one roof penetration.
smracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Basement in house high ceilings and utility room

insulated garage at the house to park 2 cars side by side and have reasonable room to open the doors and depth to store junk

i dont like a drain in the shop.

13' door and 14-15' ceiling so an RV can be parked in side

3" conduit or multiple smaller ones from the breaker box to the opposite side of the garage, easier than going over or around.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #46 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
depending on what equipment you pick up over life id say power! get as much as possible now so you don't run out later. hell even 3phase if you can get it! i always need 3phase and cant get it.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Car lift.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #48 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps4jeep View Post
More power. If you think 200 amp service will do, get 400 amp.

This might depend on your location but for me, central air in both house and shop are a must, also in-floor radiant heating in the shop with a lift.
I'm on board with most everything listed, but this is 99.99% times a waste.

I have never seen a shop (outside an industrial shop) kick off because they are over there service.

Chances are you not running 200 amps of power at the same time. You would have to have the most ginormous air compressor running at the same time you were welding 1" plate at the top of your duty cycle, while running your 7" grinder, with the electric heat on, and running a electric clothes dryer, while running your plasma table, AND yanking out every LED fixture and replacing them with incandescent fixtures with 200 watt bulbs. ALL AT ONCE..

If your house is all electric????...... maybe..... But for a relatively energy efficient, new construction, with gas ????? I'm skeptical.

Run the numbers and be realistic.

Oh, AC in the shop would be freaking awesome.

Last edited by Grumpy356; 01-16-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Around here I wouldn't even consider insulating a personal garage/shop. It would just lead to more sweating when the temperature changes rapidly. A heated shop would be nice but is not in any way necessary in New England.

A waste oil furnace or wood stove is one thing but heating and cooling a shop you don't spend the majority of your working hours running a money making business out of is just pissing away money. Being a pussy is expensive

This is my line of thinking as well but in the south I've never needed heat in a garage and in the summer you just sweat. Shorts and gatorade are cheap.

Edit: If I lived somewhere it was actually cold for extended periods of time I might change my mind but in that case lots of insulation and a waste oil burner seems like the way to go.

Last edited by GTOffroader; 01-16-2020 at 09:11 AM.
GTOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 09:08 AM   #50 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Pantry as close as possible to the garage entrance. Washer and drier on same floor as bedrooms.
If it's a 2+ story house the master bedroom on the ground floor, other bedrooms upstairs.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in