Must-Haves for new house & shop (realistic) - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 40131
My thread with a lot of great input:

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-welcomed.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 04:46 AM   #77 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Around here I wouldn't even consider insulating a personal garage/shop. It would just lead to more sweating when the temperature changes rapidly. A heated shop would be nice but is not in any way necessary in New England.
I'm not following.

My last shop (30x60) had uninsulated doors, one end (3020) uninsulated walls and torn/damaged insulation everywhere else. It sweated like a pig. I insulated the doors, the rest of the interior, and walled up the inside. The sweating stopped completely.

Sure, if I had the doors open all day and there was a big temp swing it may sweat a little... but only with the doors open.

In this part of the US an uninsulated shop is a rust sauna.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 98713
For sure a whole house fan and high cfm (300cfm) fans for the bathrooms. 2x6 exterior walls.
SLC97SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #79 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
I'm just finishing my new home and shop build. I haven't moved in yet, but the things I really like are:

- High ceilings. Makes rooms feel bigger. Great room is vaulted to 12' and the rest of the house is 9'.

- Layout. I have the mudroom, laundry, master closet, master bath and master suite all connected and it flows really nicely.

- Pull through bay on the shop.

- plenty of outlets in the ceiling of the shop.

Edit: this is actually the old plan I just realized. I swapped the closet and bathroom positions...and added a man door to the back yard opposite the basement stairs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Priest; 01-17-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Around here I wouldn't even consider insulating a personal garage/shop. It would just lead to more sweating when the temperature changes rapidly. A heated shop would be nice but is not in any way necessary in New England.
Do you mean equipment sweating or people? Cause in my old unheated shop in NC my anvil would sweat in the cooler months when there would be 30* temp swings. Some of that has to do with the humidity but I'd rather not have large temp swings in my shop in general. It's hard on things and promotes rust.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #81 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Do you mean equipment sweating or people? Cause in my old unheated shop in NC my anvil would sweat in the cooler months when there would be 30* temp swings. Some of that has to do with the humidity but I'd rather not have large temp swings in my shop in general. It's hard on things and promotes rust.
Equipment. Yeah it's the temp swings that do it.

Everything in my garage stays moisture free until you have increasing daytime temps at which point opening the doors results in every heavy piece of metal sweating from the warm air (which is why my machine shop is the basement). A well insulated shop will do this a lot more days out of the year. If you have a huge shop and are just opening a small garage door then you might get away with it but every time you change out a lot of the air in the shop and the stuff in the shop is colder than the air coming in it will sweat. You can probably get away with it if you air-condition but that's a lot of money up front and a lot of recurring cost.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 01-17-2020 at 08:30 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 146689
What's with the recirculating hot and after and instant on heater? We currently have a has instant on that takes forever to get hot water. Would tye recirculating feature fix this?
Old 01-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I put one in my house. Best 1000 bucks I ever spent. No I'm not kidding
wut
just use the sink
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
clear space basement, use metal I-beams, to carry your joists, no lally columns.
or spancrete
Old 01-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #85 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
wut
just use the sink
Always thought that was fucking gross.....I don't wanna brush my teeth where I piss.

On the other hand, I love licking my lady's butt hole all the time...

So I dunno
Old 01-21-2020, 03:47 AM   #86 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
or spancrete
You can't hang a beam trolley from a spancrete beam.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
You can't hang a beam trolley from a spancrete beam.
I'm talking just the panels, not the beams
not gonna be a hundred foot span
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Always thought that was fucking gross.....I don't wanna brush my teeth where I piss.

On the other hand, I love licking my lady's butt hole all the time...

So I dunno
my sink is probably cleaner than yours
because I piss in it and therefore make the effort to rinse it out
Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 872454
Wow there are so many good idea's, many of which I tried...like the main floor master bedroom and others in the 1/2 story above. Did that while kids were home but now it's mostly unused. One of the best things with our house is 2 -16' greenhouses on the south basement. The entire basement has natural sunlight.

Heat goes up and cold falls. Don't try and take the AC from the basement to the top of the second floor. Put in a heat system that mostly heats the lowest areas and an AC that cool the top of the house. We have water in the basement floor. I wish the AC was in the attic.

Just having a shop is a goal for me. We used money from my shop sale to get 43 acres, so am starting over myself on the shop....(electric distribution, motors and controls) .....it's on a commercial highway, so won't be totally private.
Tjoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #89 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 69605
Some shop items i used:

Shop is 50 x 84 x 14' high. White liner steel on ceiling. 1/2" OSB painted white on the walls. R24 blown Cellulose in walls, R50 in ceiling. North facing 20 x 12 and 10 x10 overheads insulated, windows in the big door so i can see what's going on. 6" slab throughout. I can drive the 21K forklift anywhere and not worry and 6" fiber over 3000 psi is plenty for a lift.

I did framed walls 2' OC and striped the outside for the steel. Makes for much better cavity to insulate. No insulation other than foam likes to be on its side for 8 to 10' stretches. Roof trusses 4' OC. Make sense with framed walls, roof perlins can then be 2 x 4's flat on top of trusses.

Used 8 5' x 3' sliding windows 8' up on the east, south, and west for natural light. Decent vinyl Low E.

When it got to -25 here last winter the coldest i saw in the shop was 38. Most of the time it stays around 43. It didn't get much above 75 in August. I keep the doors shut as much as possible. I put 2" foam on the inside of the frost walls and under the outside 4' of the floor. I I have slight regret for not doing the whole floor. At the time 2k more cost seemed like a lot. That was b4 I added everything up, not sure 2k more would have really mattered. I get a little floor sweat.

I run a dehumidifier for a bit in late spring and early summer to combat the humidity difference, again I mostly keep the doors shut. I have an opener in/on everything.

I have these lights,(they have actually bumped up the lumens since i bought) they put out great light at a good price.

https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...731-c-7539.htm

I have this exhaust fan, DELHI AX20-1V Exhaust Fan, 20 In, 115/230V, 1/3hp, 1700rpm CANARM. Sucks the walk door right out of your hand. Have it on a variable speed controller.

For heat I used a 250K BTU Modine. I don't keep it on all the time so forced air on demand is the only way to go for me. Probably overkill on BTU, it was hard to get a good answer going in.when the fan runs i can feel the air move in the opposite corner 90 ft away. I have a 200k also that would have done the job just fine. It heats up to 55 - 60 in no time. 2 ceiling fans help push the air back down. With the size of the building and the solid insulation I think the expanse of concrete keeps the middle at a fairly constant temp.

My .02 anyway.

And for the house, most good ideas have been said.

Scott

'11 Duramax Ext Cab GMC

"08 2 door Rubi on 34's
dmaxguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 482170
Wants for a mans shop!

I am in a very similar situation, our county is buying my warehouse and when I build a new one this year after I get paid it will have the following.
1, 6000 sq ft 4000 for storage rental area, boats travel trailers etc. non heated
2, 2000 sq ft finished shop all concrete with heated floor
3, Office in the with heat, shower bathroom small meeting area
4. AWESOME LIGHTING I hate shadows when working on vehicles
5, 9K bendpak vehicle hoist 4 post so I can move it around
6, lots of outlets
7, Drains in the floor
8, it will be fully plumbed for air with multiple connection points and at least 1" air lines
9, A good way to seal the heated part from the non heated part (dont have this figured out yet)
10, A decent amount of space around the shop to park vehicles when friends come over etc.
11, well insulated (I live in ND)
12, good alarm system with CCTV uploaded to the net live! Anything to keep the meth heads from stealing my stuff
13, great benches with great storage/shelving
14, nice yard/grass area around the shop!

God this is fun!
Karl
Karl Kostman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Kostman View Post
12, good alarm system with CCTV uploaded to the net live! That way I can watch the meth heads stealing my stuff
You had a typo on #12...

Aaron Z
Old 01-23-2020, 03:02 AM   #92 (permalink)
gumboot cloggeroo

Member # 467233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Kostman View Post
I am in a very similar situation, our county is buying my warehouse and when I build a new one this year after I get paid it will have the following.
1, 6000 sq ft 4000 for storage rental area, boats travel trailers etc. non heated
2, 2000 sq ft finished shop all concrete with heated floor
3, Office in the with heat, shower bathroom small meeting area
4. AWESOME LIGHTING I hate shadows when working on vehicles
5, 9K bendpak vehicle hoist 4 post so I can move it around
6, lots of outlets
7, Drains in the floor
8, it will be fully plumbed for air with multiple connection points and at least 1" air lines
9, A good way to seal the heated part from the non heated part (dont have this figured out yet)
10, A decent amount of space around the shop to park vehicles when friends come over etc.
11, well insulated (I live in ND)
12, good alarm system with CCTV uploaded to the net live! Anything to keep the meth heads from stealing my stuff
13, great benches with great storage/shelving
14, nice yard/grass area around the shop!

God this is fun!
Karl
What do you need 1 inch air for?

-------------------------
Last edited by Muckin_Slusher; Today at 04:47 PM.
Muckin_Slusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in