Russian Transport Plane - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi
I'm drunk on elons giz
Old 01-16-2020, 05:58 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Nevermind the fact that Lockheed makes fucking planes lol

They make the C-130. If anyone were capable of making an alternative, it's them. Doubt it's cost effective for them to produce a competitor.
iirc aren't there only like two an225s worldwide?
yeah, the market ain't there lol
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
Defund the BATFE and fund NASA!
Fuckin' A
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 09:54 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
iirc aren't there only like two an225s worldwide?
yeah, the market ain't there lol
Just 1.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
1) Because SpaceX is not a viable option. At the rate they are hemorrhaging money they won't be around in 5 years (almost as fast as Tesla is)

2)There is, currently no viable private company in the US capable of putting our stuff in space. We are forced to go to other countries for this.

3)musk is a fucking moron, who's only claim to fame is he can take credit for other peoples smarts, and sell good snake oil (just like that fuck Jobs was)
He's not taking credit for your stupidity, thank Allah.

Let's hear from you when you use that intellect of yours to make a few billion and then start your own private rocket company.

You fucking arm chair useless cunt.

Addendum:

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

Issac Asimov

“A Cult of Ignorance” by Isaac Asimov, 1980

Last edited by Tigerchief; 01-17-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 05:58 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Thanks that's interesting. wonder how many gallons of fuel on that single one leg flight ? The other costs that go into pricing a flight like tis must be quite extensive.

Can a real bad hail storm affect or damage this craft ?? (on the ground)
It would affect it just like any other plane. We would hold transport and loading if severe weather was en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
it would be nice if the US had an option to, and the resources to, put satellites in space, say for military purposes and communication purposes. from a national security standpoint, i have been shocked we are unable and unwilling to.

and wouldn't it be nice if NASA was able to bid on or provide the transport services in competition with private carriers, similar to how the USPS competes with UPS and FEDEX, etc?
We do have that capability. What is being discusssed is a Japanese private cmpany's sattelite. You don't want NASA attempting to compete with anyone or anything. It would cost 4x as much to do the same work, and they would never be competitive. It would be a black hole to taxpayer dollars.a

[QUOTE=Mattafact;44772082.

In all fairness to ULA, their rockets have a ridiculous success record than SpaceX should strive to meet.

In fairness to SpaceX, their lower costs have finally caused ULA to work on increasing efficiency and start work on their new Vulcan rocket.[/QUOTE]
This is true. When you have a billion dollar asset to put into space you put it on an Atlas V. The Vulcan is a cool project. It was my last project before I left ULA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 06:07 AM   #107 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
How cute someone is a musk fanboy. Got the taste of his cock still in your mouth there fuckstick?

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #108 (permalink)
Wiseguy

Member # 867108
Quote:
How cute someone is a musk fanboy. Got the taste of his cock still in your mouth there fuckstick?
Oh the irony.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 6359
I can understand the distaste for Musk and cock in mouth. I would not proffer in semi-intelligent conversation that he is a financial loser or lacking in useful intelligence. Even in the darkest off topic giz sling wars and deprived depths I learn from PBB. The reason satellites are preferred to be launched from lower latitudes, etc. Allahu Akbar !!
Old 01-17-2020, 07:06 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I do not like musk or his taxpayer funded boondoggles, but the technology they've developed is legit.

whether or not they have enough money to see it to it's full fruition is the question.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I do not like musk or his taxpayer funded boondoggles, but the technology they've developed is legit.

whether or not they have enough money to see it to it's full fruition is the question.
I'm no fan boi, but look:

Who makes a billion bucks, and sits around designing companies just to bilk to Gov?

C'mon.

This is Heinlein level epic in the real World. In our lifetime.

D.D. Harriman

Last edited by Tigerchief; 01-17-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
the story about how those got built at the santa barbara airport is pretty interesting.

basically guy took the NASA contract but didn't actually have aircraft.

Him and a bunch of not aeronautical engineer types built those things on the air port property.

IIRC the first one wasn't even built in a hanger as they hadn't yet built a hanger large enough for it.

then the next couple were built inside a big hanger purpose built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
That's cool. I had to look it up. This part was interesting:

Here's what I think is the original:

oh shit, thats pretty funny

i ASSumed the odd shape helped to provide lift/ was the strongest shape after confirming with many calculations

WRONG! it got eyeballed in a parking lot by some yahoos
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
It would affect it just like any other plane. We would hold transport and loading if severe weather was en route.

We do have that capability. What is being discusssed is a Japanese private cmpany's sattelite. You don't want NASA attempting to compete with anyone or anything. It would cost 4x as much to do the same work, and they would never be competitive. It would be a black hole to taxpayer dollars.a

This is true. When you have a billion dollar asset to put into space you put it on an Atlas V. The Vulcan is a cool project. It was my last project before I left ULA.
Your telling of your real world experiences are much appreciated.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
oh shit, thats pretty funny

i ASSumed the odd shape helped to provide lift/ was the strongest shape after confirming with many calculations

WRONG! it got eyeballed in a parking lot by some yahoos
absolutely.

and if I recall the whole conversation got started because an acquaintance or friend or someone that the guy knew had just bought a bunch of stratocruisers second hand.

it wasn't chosen because it was the best, but because it was available.

they made that shit happen.

it's a very interesting story of what we used to be able to do in this country with nothing more than a couple of dudes and a will to make shit happen.

you know, before government got involed and would require ten years of flight testing before they let it do anything.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
1) Because SpaceX is not a viable option. At the rate they are hemorrhaging money they won't be around in 5 years (almost as fast as Tesla is)

2)There is, currently no viable private company in the US capable of putting our stuff in space. We are forced to go to other countries for this.

3)musk is a fucking moron, who's only claim to fame is he can take credit for other peoples smarts, and sell good snake oil (just like that fuck Jobs was)
1. They are privately traded so we don't really know. They are reusing so much of their rockets that the cost should drop even more in the future. Tesla assuages white liberal guilt so they'll be around forever.

2. Look at the alternatives. The Ariane and Atlas Launch vehicles are both more than twice the cost of a Falcon 9 launch which is why SpaceX has gotten so many contracts. Who else is out there to launch of full size satellite? The Russians? I read somewhere that they are losing contracts to SpaceX because of cost. The Europeans? Yeah right. The Chinese? Perhaps. Can you think of anyone else? Stratolaunch is a joke and floudering after Paul Allen's death.

3. Musk is a strange, kinda creepy dude but he takes big risks. You have to give him that.

Look at the bright side. Soon you'll be setting up VPNs across Elon's Starlink network.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Look at the bright side. Soon you'll be setting up VPNs across Elon's Starlink network.
I hope not.
satellites for data brings the fucking suck.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
I hope not.
satellites for data brings the fucking suck.
That's because latency. Latency happens because satellites are far away. Starlink satellites are much less far away(they are lower), so in theory, there should be less latency.

Elon's whole plan with that is to make Starlink appealing to electronic market traders who live an die by latency and charge them a premium to be faster than traditional transatlantic/transpacific cables, so I'm guessing they have somehow figured it out. Or he's talking out of his ass.

Time will tell, but if it can live up to the promises, starlink is going to be pretty bad ass.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 12:32 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 86724
You're still beaming a signal to space and back.
I doubt lower latency than sending that same signal over terrestrial fiber.

you've got a 500 mile there and back even at the lowest possible orbit.
and that's just to ping the satellite, it's not accounting for the satellite network's latency to get you to whatever connection they're feeding it.

or I can route my shit across fiber for 150 miles and hit the big data pipes in the nearest city.

hopefully it hooks up rural customers, but I don't see it possibly competing with fiber/coax for cost/speed.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:45 PM   #119 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A low Earth orbit (LEO) is an Earth-centered orbit with an altitude of 2,000 km (1,200 mi) or less
Edit: I R dumb Anyway, LEO is all the way down to about 120 miles above sea level. Compare that to over 22,000 miles for the geo-stationary orbit you're probly thinking of for current satellite internet.

Last edited by CrustyJeep; 01-17-2020 at 12:51 PM.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Earth_orbit

Edit: I R dumb Anyway, LEO is all the way down to about 120 miles above sea level. Compare that to over 22,000 miles for the geo-stationary orbit you're probly thinking of for current satellite internet.
Starlink satellites orbit at 550km(~340 miles).
Old 01-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
Starlink satellites orbit at 550km(~340 miles).
That comes out to a one way trip time of about 2 milliseconds. Seems like it should work
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
You're still beaming a signal to space and back.
I doubt lower latency than sending that same signal over terrestrial fiber.

and that's just to ping the satellite, it's not accounting for the satellite network's latency to get you to whatever connection they're feeding it.

or I can route my shit across fiber for 150 miles and hit the big data pipes in the nearest city.

hopefully it hooks up rural customers, but I don't see it possibly competing with fiber/coax for cost/speed.
There's a pretty good explanation of Starlink's latency here:
https://youtu.be/giQ8xEWjnBs?t=257

Cliff's notes:

Starlink orbits at 550km, so latency up to satellite should be around 4 ms.
Traditional comm satellites orbit at 36,000 km and have a latency around 240 ms.
Starlink is using lasers to communication between satellites
Lasers through fiber optic cables are around 47% slower than lasers transmitted in a vacuum.
All that combined could very well make starlink much faster over long distances(the example the video gives is New York to London).

Last edited by Harry Johnson; 01-17-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I'll believe it when I see it.

and it's probably still going to cost more.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it.
and it's probably still going to cost more.
And for someone who is doing commodity trading and can write it off, they will be glad to pay it.
Cost wise, it will be more expensive for upkeep as well as the satellites will be more likely to have their orbits decay and the satellites will not last as long.
On the plus side, there will be less junk in space as they should de-orbit much quicker.

Aaron Z
Old 01-17-2020, 02:20 PM   #125 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
And for someone who is doing commodity trading and can write it off, they will be glad to pay it.
Cost wise, it will be more expensive for upkeep as well as the satellites will be more likely to have their orbits decay and the satellites will not last as long.
On the plus side, there will be less junk in space as they should de-orbit much quicker.

Aaron Z

well hopefully they'll figure out that whole

'oh your satellite internet doesn't work? Tell me what the weather is outside.'
because that's pretty much the first thing that hughesnet will ask you.
and if you say it's anything other than clear and sunny they'll tell you it's atmospheric related issues and not their problem.

maybe since it's much closer.
but I'd still not plan on it working during heavy rain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in