Replacing Halogen Headlights with Led - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 110475
I just put LED's in my 2011 Ram to get rid of the shitty stock light output. I went with Hikari Ultra H11's from Amazon for my lows and Hikari standard LED's in 9005 for my Fogs. I have yet to upgrade the high beams, but will be soon. They were plug and play, but I didn get some flicker from my lows. I was able to adjust my trucks settings using an app to disable PWM to the headlights and fixed that. Prior to LED's I upgraded my stock fogs from 9145's to 9005s and that was a nice bump in brightness. Lows were Silverstar H11's. These LED's are next level. They're definitely not the brightest in the world, but the kill the stock lighting. They dont scatter light terribly like the old LED's did, it does help the Ram quad reflector housings work well with LED's. I also just stuck a 30" curved LED lightbar in between my tow hooks to use as a high beam. Works great.

You will notice that while LED's are bright, the whiter light doesnt seem like it shines as far. If you can get bulbs at 5000k or 4500k they will appear brighter, but will also be yellower if thats a concern. The other concern is heat, LED's dont develop much heat at all. If you live somewhere where it snows your headlights run the risk of icing over if the snow is heavy and wet. We had this happen on our 17 wrangler with factory LED's and had to pull over every 10-15 minutes to wipe the housings off. This was also a very bad storm with wet snow and it is the only time we've had to do it.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 4243
I put some SeaLight 9008 LEDs (amazon) in a friend's JK. The hardest part was manually clocking them correctly in the housing. Could not get hem to sit exactly right (10 degrees off approx) but the results were still good.

I almost ordered a set for the gf's Liberty, but got 50% brighter halogens from rockauto for ~$8 each instead.

Something I noticed on both Jeeps... the stock halogens go dark inside from filament oxidation over time. I get some of that would be normal, but for the lamp to go basically black? I thought changing them when they burn out was often enough...
Old 01-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 176960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
2014 subaru crosstrek. I put a meter on and voltage was over 14. Both sides burn out. Sylvania seems to be what all the auto parts places sell around here. I have heard from others that the next step up from the silverstars which I think are called goldstars have a shorter life than the silverstars.
Wife's Forester and her sisters were going through bulbs ever 6 months. Did some reading on the Subaru forums and they recommended Osram H11's. They are the long life bulbs made in Germany. They have thicker elements. Haven't changed a bulb on three years now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H7CRZ8..._NXoiEbD8CSQER

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jwrednecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwrednecki View Post
They are the long life bulbs made in Germany. They have thicker elements. Haven't changed a bulb on three years now.
Long Life bulbs typically have reduced light output due to the more robust filament.

Same general idea as rough-service, and 125-130V rated incandescent household lamps.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 176960
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
Long Life bulbs typically have reduced light output due to the more robust filament.

Same general idea as rough-service, and 125-130V rated incandescent household lamps.
She hasn't killed a bus load of nuns do to low visibility and I don't have to scrape the back of my hand every 6 months changing a bulb, so they are ok with me. And I didn't see a difference when I put them in. I had a standard bulb in one side and the long life in the other and they looked equal shining down the driveway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Jwrednecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 04:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
Bought these for my 06 f150. They were the deal of the day when I got them and $30 I think. The base is adjustable to focus the cutoff and pattern in a standard housing. I didn't have to mess with that, but did aim the buckets down a little. Nice white and bright light that isn't puking light into the faces of oncoming drivers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_JEEPER View Post
Been running Silverstars in my vehicles for years.

I cannot say they are the best as I am not a certified light bulb "judgerator", but I cannot imagine they are the worst.

It is much easier to blame the product than to diagnose the issue in the vehicle. :thumbs:
my wife's volvo ate a set of silverstars every 10-12 months.

sylvania xtravision bulbs I put in after the 2nd set of silverstars have gone two years.

no problems in the car. factory relay setup with not shitty wire, separate bulbs for hi/low.
DRL used the low beam and I really think they didn't like that shit.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 192237
I need a pair of H7s for some high beams that'll blind the absolute fuck out of everyone
Seems the only thing I use my brights for any more is for oncoming assholes that think the blue light on the dash means their headlights are on

at work we have many loaner cars and it seems half the time you jump in one, the brights are latched on

Last edited by [486]; 01-16-2020 at 06:29 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
why are you going through low beams every couple of months?

I'd answer that before spending money on more bulbs...
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
Because Silverstars are junk and donít last.
But this too, it's pretty well documented.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
Beamtechs have been suggested in other circles as being "good".

I learned allot from this thread on ADV but I haven't bought any yet...
https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-t...-want.1080510/
I run drop in Beamtechs in four vehicles.

Two XJ's and an XJ buggy (all with Hella E-Code housings)
'99 F-350 with '05 headlight housings.

All have better cutoff than stock, but much brighter.

I've yet to have anyone flash me running these in the last few years, same with the wife.

There might be "better" out there, but for ~$30 a pair...been WELL worth it. Biggest different was the F-350...dogsh*t before, FAR better now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Ordered Phillips Extreme Vision off of Amazon, 30 bucks.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post

sylvania xtravision bulbs I put in after the 2nd set of silverstars have gone two years.
I've been running these in our vehicles for years (the Xtravision, in the purple package) and have been happy with them. ~$20/pair. They do dim over time; I just replaced the ones in the wife's car that were still working and the new ones are noticeably brighter. They don't look as bright as some other bulbs, but the actual visibility is better.

Pete
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , beer in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOW, what a ride."
pcorssmit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I don't mind replacing them every 2ish years if they get dim.
every 10 months when one burnt out driving down the road was a drag.
so far they haven't dimmed noticeably, but you know how that is.
you don't realize it until you put new bulbs in and go damn those are bright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in