My "farm" build - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 67907
I started cutting the road into this section on Friday and am about done now.
Going through the pines like this you have to be careful not to cut the roots of the trees too much or you will kill them in a few years. Some of them werent avoidable so I am sure Ill end up with a few dead ones soon.
First step is to dig out all of the stumps, the mini ex works great for that. Some of the large ponderosa's we took down were a bit of a pain, we had to tag team a large on with 2 SSL's and the mini ex to get it out.

Otherwise it was similar to the other section, strip the top soil, and dig the shoulders down to raise the roadbed.
I mainly use the SSL and Excavator to excavate the material and pile it. The Tractor/Box scraper works best to move and spread the material, kills your neck looking behind you for hours at a time though.

Then I use the grader to clean everything up. This grader is relatively small, its handy as can be for grading, it is too light to really cut or rip much with though. Grader is probably my favorite machine to operate, I only have maybe 3-400 hrs in one and I am still not that great with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Here are some drone shots, I have a bit more cleanup to do and bring the top soil back in along the shoulders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
MT, I get 1.25Ē minus pit run at $10 a yard plus delivery, which is cheap since itís a mile away. Pit run is ok for a road, 1Ē crush is over 3x that price and I only use it for concrete base.

Thankfully the guy that built my road used fabric, that saves a bunch of money because it doesnít sink. Without fabric I would be putting on 60-100 yards a year. I usually put 60 - 80 yards on every 3-4 years and grade it which isnít bad.
I wasnt planning on fabric, Ive never seen anyone use it around here. I was always told you use that when you have clay, which we dont have much of.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
looks good

what's you limit on the mini ex before feeling like you need to go to a bigger size?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2020, 07:41 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 67907
I am now self employed, so its harder to get financing on stuff like this. In order to build a house well need to sell our current place and cash in on our equity. I am expecting it to take around a year to build something so I had to come up with some type of accommodation for twin 3 year olds and my wife that doesnt involve staying at either of our parents places.
Weve decided to build the shop area first, and live in that. My original plan was to build an apartment in half of a 50x80 building, however my county building department makes you meet all building codes for a residence which was going to drive the cost up much higher than we could afford so I abandoned it. However a little loop hole that Ive come up with is to live in a 5th wheel camper inside of the building, and build a bathroom and kitchen in the shop.
This week Ill be pulling the trigger on a 50x80x16 steel building with a partition wall at the 40' mark to break it in half. Once we are done living in it I will probably take the kitchen out, and keep the bathroom for the shop.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:44 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
looks good

what's you limit on the mini ex before feeling like you need to go to a bigger size?
I want a 5mt sized machine, but went with this 4mt due to ease of trucking it.
I am pushing the limit of my current 2500HD Dmax and 14klbs gooseneck with this setup.
Once I recover from my farm build financially I am going to buy a 3500 and 20klbs trailer.
So far the 4mt machine is perfect for what I do, I primarily use it to clean out retention ponds and dig the occasional horse grave. My biggest gripe is no cab on it, you are either freezing your butt off, or way too hot.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 59610
got your swppp in order?

this hit a nerve with action flap

Last edited by jeeptj19992001; 01-27-2020 at 06:17 AM.
jeeptj19992001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 06:24 AM   #83 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001 View Post
got your swppp in order?

yeah, it is called the ground and "not a stream"

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 06:57 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
got your swppp in order?

LOL. Yea, I've already had an inspection. Only place I need to add wattles is when I place my culvert in the so called stream and fill it.
I know the inspector somewhat well from other dealings with them, he wants the areas that are done to be reclaimed ASAP, ground is froze though, so no way to drill it yet.

Last edited by Jeepermat; 01-27-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
should sell that dewalt and get a milwaukee
yup....
Old 01-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepermat View Post
Quote:
MT, I get 1.25” minus pit run at $10 a yard plus delivery, which is cheap since it’s a mile away. Pit run is ok for a road, 1” crush is over 3x that price and I only use it for concrete base.

Thankfully the guy that built my road used fabric, that saves a bunch of money because it doesn’t sink. Without fabric I would be putting on 60-100 yards a year. I usually put 60 - 80 yards on every 3-4 years and grade it which isn’t bad.
I wasnt planning on fabric, Ive never seen anyone use it around here. I was always told you use that when you have clay, which we dont have much of.

No clay, it’s pretty rocky on my place but we get about a month of mud bog season during spring break up. Gravel just sinks and you get a top layer of dirt.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 59610
how many horses will you have?
going to make your millions,
so you got a rich father inlaw, that wants to keep his daughter happy?

you know these are prerequisites to building a farm

Last edited by jeeptj19992001; 01-27-2020 at 07:17 AM.
jeeptj19992001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:

On the second day of clearing my new neighbor turned up rather hot and bothered by the amount of trees I had cut down on her property. With the easement I have the right to do what I want with it, but she was not happy even with the warning I gave her we were doing it.
Sounds like she should have bought property that didn't have an access easement on it.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
However a little loop hole that Ive come up with is to live in a 5th wheel camper inside of the building, and build a bathroom and kitchen in the shop.

Isn't government great?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
Sounds like she should have bought property that didn't have an access easement on it.
Pretty much. There was a really nice 100+ year old pine that we had to take down that I painted an X on, when she saw it she got even more upset asking if we really had to take it as well. It was centered on the easement and no way around it so it had to come down. I told her she could grant me another easement around it and I could leave it, she didnt find that as funny as I did

Old 01-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
how many horses will you have?
going to make your millions,
so you got a rich father inlaw, that wants to keep his daughter happy?

you know these are prerequisites to building a farm
My FIL would probably like to see me with 20-30 so his daughter could train them into award winning ponies.
Good news for me is my wife hates horses more than I do, so the likely hood of a horse touching this place is as close to 0 as you can get.
I will be getting a few cows to maintain ag status for taxes, and steaks.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
It almost sounds like your neighbor is just upset about change in general and never thought a "land locked" property would sell...???

Anyway- I want one of those forestry grinders so bad. If I won the lottery it would legit be my first big purchase.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #93 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
In one of your photos it looks like there are fences on both sides of your driveway. I am guessing that those are your two established neighbors who planned ahead and expected your road?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
In one of your photos it looks like there are fences on both sides of your driveway. I am guessing that those are your two established neighbors who planned ahead and expected your road?
Only 1 fenceline on the R-Side as you are heading in, although there was remnants of another on the L side that we found with the mulching head

Whats odd is that the fenceline is at the edge of the easement, so their property line is about the center of my driveway, that fenceline is all of 50 years old, so I have no idea how they anticipated this.

Old 01-27-2020, 05:50 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post

Anyway- I want one of those forestry grinders so bad. If I won the lottery it would legit be my first big purchase.
I do too. If you ever get one you have to get the forestry door for whatever you are putting it on, its unbelievable how violent stuff coming out of the head is. My buddy had recently broke his, Deere bought him a new one as they are supposed to be bullet proof. We are going to shoot at it soon to see how bullet proof it actually is.

Last edited by Jeepermat; 01-27-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #96 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20331
Neat thread a guy I worked for years ago bought some acreage south of Sedalia and put a massive steel building on it and just finished about 2000sq feet of a 200x100 and Douglass county was perfectly cool with it. Consider yourself lucky, I couldnít even put a mother in law above my detached garage.
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsize80cherokee View Post
Neat thread a guy I worked for years ago bought some acreage south of Sedalia and put a massive steel building on it and just finished about 2000sq feet of a 200x100 and Douglass county was perfectly cool with it. Consider yourself lucky, I couldnít even put a mother in law above my detached garage.
Im in Elbert Co which used to be pretty lax about this type of stuff, starting last year they adopted the latest codes, hired a full time code enforcement officer and have been raking in the $ writing violations.
I would need to meet all of the residential stuff for a temporary living area which just seemed silly to me.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 92543
Send a message via AIM to Mark13
Quote:
After seeing the mulching head in action I was seriously considering purchasing one for my CTL, they are stupidly expensive and beat to hell on the used market.
I think the worst part about the skid steer mulchers is the short life expectancy of the skid steer, getting the additional rooftop cooler setup, as well as keeping the machine cleaned out. Skids are not sealed up well and are prone to burning from the debris that gets inside the engine area and belly pan. The downside to mulchers in general might not even be the purchase price, the cost to run them is high. Nothing like an attachment that has several thousand dollars just in cutters on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
I need to move my pits to a higher paying location. ;(
Somehow that sounds easier said then done.

Quote:
I do too. If you ever get one you have to get the forestry door for whatever you are putting it on, its unbelievable how violent stuff coming out of the head is. My buddy had recently broke his, Deere bought him a new one as they are supposed to be bullet proof. We are going to shoot at it soon to see how bullet proof it actually is.
The forestry doors certainly help, but things will still go through them. Somehow wire is a popular one that finds its way right through the lexan door, large chunks of metal will also go through in some cases.

Last edited by Mark13; 01-27-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Mark13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 67907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
I think the worst part about the skid steer mulchers is the short life expectancy of the skid steer, getting the additional rooftop cooler setup, as well as keeping the machine cleaned out. Skids are not sealed up well and are prone to burning from the debris that gets inside the engine area and belly pan. The downside to mulchers in general might not even be the purchase price, the cost to run them is high. Nothing like an attachment that has several thousand dollars just in cutters on it.
My buddy gets about 1000hrs out of a SSL before he trades it off, after that it just starts losing too much value and the warranty runs out. If you pay close attention to my photos he had just got a new machine in the second section with the cab mounted cooler. I am pretty close with our local dealer and he told me he puts about $5k back into his machines to get them sellable.
The Deere has held up the best for him thus far, Kubota was after him pretty hard but when it comes to this application that machine just didnt hold up. CAT has been an option too, but our CAT dealer for this area isnt the best at supporting the small customers. The only issue he has had with the Deere is the hydraulics running warm, he added a cooler to his new machine and its made a huge difference. Deere has been pretty good to him overall.
He did lose a machine to a fire a few years ago, he now cleans them completely out everyday.

He runs carbide cutters on the head, he told me he gets around 300hrs out of a set. I forget what he told me the cutters cost, but it was a ton of money for a set of them.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:10 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 232221
Quote:
No clay, itís pretty rocky on my place but we get about a month of mud bog season during spring break up. Gravel just sinks and you get a top layer of dirt.
I second using fabric under the rock. In the long run you will save. I used it on my drive and it has been great...especially during thaw.

I like your idea of living in the shed for a bit while you build your house. We are doing the exact same thing except I'm bit further into the process than you. I built a 72'x50' shop with a partition wall. I have the driveway finished and the shop 90% finished (just need to finish the shop bathroom). Now I just need to sell my current house and then we can start building the new one.

How far are they gonna break it off in your ass to run electric up to your new building site? For me they want $4k to run 250' ....I hope they don't stick it to ya too bad.
siduramaxde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in