the great head-to head grease gun challenge- what tests? M18 vs Dewalt. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzz0 View Post
GD clean your fucking tools
thats as-bought condition from the yardsale, settle down...
Old 02-18-2020, 09:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
This is the part I don't get. We know what you do, we know what you need your tools to do. We know you had the yellow death previous. We know you understand the difference. Why anyone would be doing a test of anything between the two except to see how far they can throw the yellow piece of shit is beyond me.
this is all for fun/ entertainment with a little bit of armchair science-ing. I'm just a high usage home gamer/ pro-sumer, like many here.

I bought the Dewalt because I have amassed a dozen batteries and at least that many tools for that platform over several years starting with a black Friday drill deal 6 or so yrs ago.

I found a M12 ratchet & battery behind a seat at the U-pull it, which got me into that 12v platform and i absolutely love them for the lighter work.

Finding a M18 gun with charger & case, for ~ the cost of a dinner for 2 at Outback was not really a possible reality I had considered before Saturday morning. But it was enough to get me to at least wade into the M18 tool platform & check out the hype ( i'm working on a marketplace deal to halfway steal a used fuel 1/2" impact from some random 'shrewd negotiator'.

Last edited by WTF?; 02-18-2020 at 09:26 AM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 09:41 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Charge them up and put grease in them. 24 hrs in the coldest freezer you can find and then test them. Pump at least a tube out of each through a zerk. Time attack. I hate freezing my ass off greasing an excavator.

Last edited by Shadow man; 02-18-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 28134
Send a message via AIM to CLRracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
this is all for fun/ entertainment with a little bit of armchair science-ing. I'm just a high usage home gamer/ pro-sumer, like many here.

I bought the Dewalt because I have amassed a dozen batteries and at least that many tools for that platform over several years starting with a black Friday drill deal 6 or so yrs ago.

I found a M12 ratchet & battery behind a seat at the U-pull it, which got me into that 12v platform and i absolutely love them for the lighter work.

Finding a M18 gun with charger & case, for ~ the cost of a dinner for 2 at Outback was not really a possible reality I had considered before Saturday morning. But it was enough to get me to at least wade into the M18 tool platform & check out the hype ( i'm working on a marketplace deal to halfway steal a used fuel 1/2" impact from some random 'shrewd negotiator'.
I went Team Red last year, so if you decide to stay Team Yellow and offload your Red stuff let me know. Also, which HD did you get you clearance tools from and did they have any more?

Duane

There's never enough time or money to do it right, but always enough to do it again!
CLRracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Come grease my equipment.

For science.
you getting fat and lazy?
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 94825
This time of year, I go through 2 to 4 tubes of grease a day going over our semis, tractors, combines, and implements. I own makita, coworker owns milwaukee, the farm owns dewalt.

For sheer power of blasting through stubborn zerks, i like milwaukee. The bypass on the dewalt is a fucking mess. I like the makita for convenience in that i only had to buy an attachment to go in my drill. All of them shoot grease where you want it. The dewalt just makes a bigger mess if you have a crusty zerk.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
you getting fat and lazy?
My arm is tired of manually pumping.

Last edited by Action Fab; 02-18-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Action Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 28187
Ask project farm on youtube .
He just did a grease test,
He will come up with some kind of scientific farm rigged test.
BlaznJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
BRD

Member # 74465
Quote:
So you're complaining about getting exactly what you asked for?

Figures.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
But can you even gain weight if you wanted too?
Old 02-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaznJon View Post
Ask project farm on youtube .
He just did a grease test,
He will come up with some kind of scientific farm rigged test.
He is okay on a lot of stuff. His methodology is lacking on a lot of things that affect the outcome. Stuff like holes drilled in wood that don't apply the load the same between samples. He needs a clamp with teeth like you pick up sheet metal with.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #37 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
But can you even gain weight if you wanted too?
Yes, but in very limited amounts. 6k calories a day plus gym routine took me from 135 to 155-160 in a year. I'm basically 10lbs lighter now on a normal diet and physically demanding job. I fluctuate about 5-7lbs a day.

So, no? I probably have the highest metabolic rate possible. Shrug
Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Damm dude 135. You looked tall. Iím 185 and 5í7Ē. I still have a 6pack but not like I did when I lived in the gym.. I donít work out now.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubirunner85 View Post
Damm dude 135. You looked tall. Iím 185 and 5í7Ē. I still have a 6pack but not like I did when I lived in the gym.. I donít work out now.
I'm 3" taller than you. Very lean. I'm also very narrow. I have wide shoulders and a positive wing span. My legs are long with a 34 end seam. But I have a 30" waste which puts me in a 28 or 29 pant. This morning I was 143 on the scale.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 188882
did i just stumble into some weird pirate 4x4 hookup thread wtf

next you'll describe what a romantic night is for you and try to meet up
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
so anyhow, comments, questions/ feedback welcomed!
So what have you got to grease with some regularity? Anyway, one side gets yellow, the other side gets red. Alternate day to day to take in any previously exisiting wear differences and greasability restrictions that may preexist.
Doing one side with each takes out any temperature differences that may influence overall life/capability and keeps use fairly consistant between the two. So bring on the results.

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMGuy View Post
So what have you got to grease with some regularity? Anyway, one side gets yellow, the other side gets red. Alternate day to day to take in any previously exisiting wear differences and greasability restrictions that may preexist.
Doing one side with each takes out any temperature differences that may influence overall life/capability and keeps use fairly consistant between the two. So bring on the results.

Alex.
tractor/ finish mower & zero turns have historically gotten way less grease than the specs say they should.

I do have a saltwater boat with twin engines, so that could be one option.

I have a cumulative 10+ trailer axles, but if the seals are decent they shouldn't need much regular attention.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #43 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
I'd just put a pressure gauge on them and see how much pressure they can put out with a fully charged battery, and then do as others say and put them in high gear and see how quickly they can empty a tube maybe no load in one test and try and figure out a way to put them under a load in another test.

The greasing one side of equipment with one and another side with another wouldn't really prove anything IMO. Too many factors there that could contribute to one side failing first. And as long as the grease gun gets grease in there to where it starts coming out, it did it's job properly.

Last edited by billybob_81067; 02-18-2020 at 07:08 PM.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Well if you havenít unpacked the yellow pos, take it back and get your money back! You bought a better gun at the yard sale. We donít need any test to tell which is best. The gravel guy already did the research for you. ... youíre welcome for saving you money to buy another tool that you need.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 881038
suggestion

Anybody have a report on every day use over a year? At work we shoot several cylinders through our pneumatic firearms every night. They don't appear to keep going exceptionally long. These appear to be somewhat cumbersome for our application however.
Petrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 174099
I use the Milwaukee every day at work and put at least 10-15 tubes a week through it. A single 5.0 battery will do a 10 tube case of grease on a single charge. I have blown out the threads where the hose goes into the body one day when I was holding the trigger down until it stopped pumping on a zerk that wouldnt take grease. Occasionally, maybe every 6 months, I have to replace the metal cylinder barrel as the spring gets weak. Overall, I wouldn't be able to do my job as quickly without this tool and its something I depend on every day. I do however, keep a spare brand new one up on a shelf at all times, I keep several new barrel cylinders on hand, lots of new grease tips, and throw the whole thing in the garbage about usually one a year.

Last edited by XXXStevemanXXX; 02-19-2020 at 04:14 PM.
XXXStevemanXXX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXStevemanXXX View Post
I use the Milwaukee every day at work and put at least 10-15 tubes a week through it. A single 5.0 battery will do a 10 tube case of grease on a single charge. I have blown out the threads where the hose goes into the body one day when I was holding the trigger down until it stopped pumping on a zerk that wouldnt take grease. Occasionally, maybe every 6 months, I have to replace the metal cylinder barrel as the spring gets weak. Overall, I wouldn't be able to do my job as quickly without this tool and its something I depend on every day. I do however, keep a spare brand new one up on a shelf at all times, I keep several new barrel cylinders on hand, lots of new grease tips, and throw the whole thing in the garbage about usually one a year.
Send your broken ones to Milwaukee they will completely rebuild them for you. Last one had a trigger failure they basically sent me a new one back. I only had to pay for the shipping.
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 PM   #48 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Send your broken ones to Milwaukee they will completely rebuild them for you. Last one had a trigger failure they basically sent me a new one back. I only had to pay for the shipping.
Really? I have a pile of broken Milwaukee stuff including batteries with busted cases. Maybe I need to go research the warranty information.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:45 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
The greasing one side of equipment with one and another side with another wouldn't really prove anything IMO. Too many factors there that could contribute to one side failing first. And as long as the grease gun gets grease in there to where it starts coming out, it did it's job properly.
Thats why I suggested that the sides be switched from one day to the next to take into account any wear or mechanical issues on a particular side including any restrictions in the grease nipple or channel that may provide higher resistance to grease flowing and tax the tool more. (day 1 left gets red right gets yellow, day 2 left gets yellow right gets red, rinse repeat see which one dies first).
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Really? I have a pile of broken Milwaukee stuff including batteries with busted cases. Maybe I need to go research the warranty information.
I just drop them off at my local mom and pop shop Milwaukee dealer they do all the leg work. If the warranty is up they will send a quote to fix it. I had another trigger failure on a drill. It came back with a brand new chuck
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in