Catalytic Converter Theft - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 88698
Cat theft is going strong here in Long Beach...

I had a bad cat from my Jeep and another one out of something else I've been hanging onto for years for some reason...I contacted some dude that posts on facebook and he came over and gave me $180 for the 2 units.

I don't know how to stop the thefts...there is simply no good way to regulate the scrap yards who buy used cats.
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 215338
This may explain why I keep getting messages asking to buy the cat off of the 4runner Iím parting out. If Iím going to cut it out Iíll take it for scrap myself
lulatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Yes you have. I just told you about one. I was leaving Haltom City and was taking the 121 to 820 bridge to go to Grand Prairie in Arlington.
No matter what map you look at, that's not centex. That's Oklahoma far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy crawler View Post
probably no smog if its within 6 years of band new. Aftermarket cheapos wont pass if smog tech looks at it for the stamp #.
No. It wasn't a probably. Car was from another state. Exhaust was stolen in rocklin ca. Nobody would repair exhaust system here in the Sacramento area without putting a ca smog legal cat in its place $$$$. So one was ordered to a arizona address, and some family of the friend that was heading up hee anyways brought it with them. Another coworker assembled it. They welded a chain along it (don't know why, a sawzall will cut a chain). But anyways, car has a complete exhaust system now, and drove back to wherever they came from.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 02:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 3132
I would have just welded a test pipe in, but I wasn't aware they even had an issue until an exhaust and a new cat arrived
Old 02-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
They welded a chain along it (don't know why, a sawzall will cut a chain)
Well, many Toyota cats unbolt, silently, minimal tools, you can also cut with an exhaust tubing cutter, a welded chain would thwart those thieves.

If somebody had a sawzall, a length of hardened chain could make it take 4x as long, 4x as much noise, and likely trash the first blade. It's a pretty good deterrent in my opinion
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Wow, $100-$600 per "scrap" cat, no wonder it's a thing

Current prices

https://catalyticcontrol.rockawayrec...-scrap-prices/
hell, i might just rip my own cats off and sell them for that
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Well, many Toyota cats unbolt, silently, minimal tools, you can also cut with an exhaust tubing cutter, a welded chain would thwart those thieves.

If somebody had a sawzall, a length of hardened chain could make it take 4x as long, 4x as much noise, and likely trash the first blade. It's a pretty good deterrent in my opinion
Video in the link below, a couple guys pop a prius cat in three minutes on the street. I imagine the prius is a higher priced unit, so at a few hundred a pop it's probably good money until you get caught.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...hieves/161358/
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Had one taken off my 4runner about 10 years ago, back when prices went crazy for a bit. My replacement is wrapped in steel cable now, and hasn't gone anywhere. I didn't realize it was becoming a thing again.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 159257
I sometimes wonder what it looks like when one person shows up to a scrap yard with 3-25 catalytic converters to trade in. I guess the scrap owner doesn't care where they came from. Maybe I need to go cut a few out of cars in my hood and make a few (dishonest) hundred bucks real quick.

Do I just show up to a scrap yard and turn them in for money? I'm not too familiar with the scrap metal business.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #36 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
in a 10 day period i had a dozen 2nd gen prius come in with missing cats. only one was approved by insurance to the tune of $2800.
Gen 2 Prius cats are big money right now. Iíll sell the one off my 06 if the price gets any higher.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
I sometimes wonder what it looks like when one person shows up to a scrap yard with 3-25 catalytic converters to trade in. I guess the scrap owner doesn't care where they came from. Maybe I need to go cut a few out of cars in my hood and make a few (dishonest) hundred bucks real quick.

Do I just show up to a scrap yard and turn them in for money? I'm not too familiar with the scrap metal business.
Your area may require ID at the scrap yard before they accept something. Easier to hook up with some sketchy exhaust shop and sell to them, who in turn as an exhaust shop have a legitimate source of "scrap" cats that they can sell and not worry about showing ID.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
This thread reminds me that I should list the contents of a couple cats I emptied on ebay. That's a thing too.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:

I own an auto repair shop so I sometimes wind up with a bunch of cats. Not a big deal.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Well, many Toyota cats unbolt, silently, minimal tools, you can also cut with an exhaust tubing cutter,n
I am aware of all that. Assuming the chain is hardened too. Want to buy some cats?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Iím pretty bummed I didnít hang onto the ones from the vehicles I deleted. I just let the exhaust shops recycle them. The one from my 460 truck was huge and weighed a ton.

Western Colorado has cat theft in waves. In Grand Junction a few years ago thieves hit the GM dealership and took them off brand new cars.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 20331
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
in a 10 day period i had a dozen 2nd gen prius come in with missing cats. only one was approved by insurance to the tune of $2800.
Just to replace a cat? How much is the material?
fullsize80cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Iím pretty bummed I didnít hang onto the ones from the vehicles I deleted. I just let the exhaust shops recycle them. The one from my 460 truck was huge and weighed a ton.

Western Colorado has cat theft in waves. In Grand Junction a few years ago thieves hit the GM dealership and took them off brand new cars.
The ones from domestics aren't typically worth as much when scrapped. Size doesn't really matter. But replacing them is still just as high as imports...go figure. I used to paid approximately 80 for domestics, 120 for imports. But I was selling them to a person that was going straight to the main recycler. This was up until about 7 years ago. The aftermarkeys might be able to get you 10 bucks scrap price.

I don't know if they are worth any more than that now, but still decent money. As of now I have one from an 08 e350 laying around, and a cat from a v6 lexus to scrap. A local tow yard is buying used cats and I was planning on taking them there to have an excuse to look at some lein sale cars.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:

I bring in 9 or so at a time, mine are generally torch cut or abrasive chop saw so they don't look at mine twice
kind of funny looking at the other ones there showing up with one cat, crooked ass sawzall cuts and ripped out o2 sensor wires, obvious meth mouth, etc...

ETA: go to a specific catalyst buyer, they'll look up the numbers and give you what's actually in there rather than just giving you 50% of the lowest best guess of the cat's content

Last edited by [486]; 02-19-2020 at 05:34 PM.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Havenít seen anything about it here. Itís easier to rob gas stations and pawn shops, apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 133493
Kansas City, 2013 - we had several cut in the parking lot at work. They got mine, I installed a straight pipe that evening. They stole the whole vehicle a week later... Pristine (65K mile) 1994 Toyota ext cab pickup 22re (one that would bring top dollar today).

-DuckTape
DuckTape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Anybody that try's to steal one from any of my vehicles will be in for a let down. They all ready gone......
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 07:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
How do they remove the cats? Battery-operated whiz wheel?

Asking for a friend.
We see an Element about every 45-60 days, pipe usually looks like sawzall.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
I bring in 9 or so at a time, mine are generally torch cut or abrasive chop saw so they don't look at mine twice
kind of funny looking at the other ones there showing up with one cat, crooked ass sawzall cuts and ripped out o2 sensor wires, obvious meth mouth, etc...

ETA: go to a specific catalyst buyer, they'll look up the numbers and give you what's actually in there rather than just giving you 50% of the lowest best guess of the cat's content
So cut them off with extra pipe, cut the wire ends clean, and smooth out the cuts to make it look like I did it myself not stole it from the neighbors car. Understood.

There are specific catalyst buyers? Crazy. I feel like Kramer in Seinfeld trying to take cans across the state for more money.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
Broke Bastard

Member # 1129
The scrap yard that I go to copies your licence.

I hit a pothole one day and the cat and dpf fell off my truck. I went back and picked it up and I finally got tired of looking at it in the back yard. I took it in for scrap and they gave me $45ish for the cat and $95 for the dpf.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in