Stihl ms192tc - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2020, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 361841
Stihl ms192tc

Anyone have any insight on these little saws? always wanted one for one handed limbing and clearing shit out of the way. picked this used one up today for really cheap at the local saw shop, really dig it so far.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 167070
I hate small saws but have always wanted a 1 hander like that for being less stupid up in a tree. I think You will find it’s useful
BUCKLAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 167070
Time to fill the bar over and give it some file.
BUCKLAND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
I have one and absolutely love it. I can run it l day without getting tired. Drop down to a 12" bar and a stihl super full chisel chain and it will really eat
Attached Images

Last edited by 2big bronco; 02-21-2020 at 03:09 PM.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25632
I just bought a new one, I think it's a 192, but not sure. I wanted something smaller than my ms250 I lost and then to get a bigger saw for bigger saw tasks.

For the price, you can have a much bigger saw, but I wanted something small. I actually keep it in a tote with tools and other misc stuff that I bring to go to the woods. I definitely miss the ms250 in some ways, it always fired on the 2nd or 3rd pull, no matter how cold or what elevation. This thing is a nightmare to start at times and always takes 15+ pulls to start. I almost thought it wasn't going to go when I cut our Xmas tree.

As far as actually cutting, if I didn't want something to pack in a rig, I'd just use a cordless sawzall and a bigger saw. It cuts decent, but the little ms250 would eat it up. Cutting limbs and stuff, the sawzall is pretty damn good with the right blade and no worries about gas, starting, bar oil, hitting a rock or nail, cutting roots ect.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
I don't have a Stihl, but I do have a Husqvarna 435T with a 12" blade that I absolutely love. It is a pro-sumer level top hand saw that was $300 on sale, so they definitely aren't cheap, but it has a relatively large engine for a small saw and is a blast to cut with. I looked at the full on commercial 540 XP top hand, but for me it wasn't worth more than double the price of the 435, which is also a little lighter.

You will love having a lightweight saw that can be used one handed if needed.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 102813
One handing a saw....

You must angle grind with AF.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
One handing a saw....

I was going to say that too, but the truth is, these saws were built to be used one handed when climbing. Sometimes there is basically no other way.

I still try to use 2 hands at all times. If I cant reach it with 2 hands, I'll just use the sawzall.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
I was going to say that too, but the truth is, these saws were built to be used one handed when climbing.
No.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
No.
Yep
Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
I was going to say that too, but the truth is, these saws were built to be used one handed when climbing.
It's funny, I tried arguing that with a friend who is 2nd from the top of the worlds biggest tree company and he is very animate that this is not what they are designed for and it should never be done.

I'm guilty of using mine one handed more often then not
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wiseguy

Member # 867108
Quote:
One handing a saw....

Don't know many arborist, do you?
Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wiseguy

Member # 867108
Quote:
No.
You can stop know that you've confirmed your talking out your ass.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
It's funny, I tried arguing that with a friend who is 2nd from the top of the worlds biggest tree company and he is very animate that this is not what they are designed for and it should never be done.

Well of course. No company is going to advocate 1 handed use these days.

And neither am I, but if you have watched enough climbers, there are just times where it's almost un avoidable. Like trimming limbs over power lines where you have to hold the limb with one hand while cutting it with the other. Big companies say to use the hand saw, but that's not always happening.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 361841
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post

Its not the safe way to do things but I meant it more as I can drag off limbs and never have to set the saw down because its so light haha.

Im gonna replace the oiler and a few other small parts for longevity, got it for $150 and I havent been able to find any other used ones that cheap but it runs/cuts pretty good so far.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Climbing saw. Got a retired arborist that lives in my mobile home park. He cut a good size tree down for me. He swung around on a rope like a damn monkey. Had one he used on a lanyard on his belt. Cut that tree down so fast it was as scary. I bought a little tanaka that looks just like the saw you guys have. Good little limbing saws!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 220494
My arborist buddy picked up an echo cs2511 a while back. He loves that little thing. It weighs like 5lbs. It seriously feels like you are playing with one of those little toy chainsaws that you give to kids. Itís crazy how good it is, and half the price of a comparable (and heavier) Stihl. He still has to use his Stihl a lot, because itís capable of pulling a much bigger bar than the echo, but for pruning and small removals he loves the echo. A couple of pounds make a huge difference when you are dragging it up a tree on your belt.

And yes, he one hands the shit out of his top handle saws, thatís kind of the point of them. Beginners shouldnít try it. And you shouldnít make it a habit and do it every cut, but itís frequently necessary. But you get 10 times the control 1 handing a top handle than you do a rear handle
broncokyle88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 361841
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncokyle88 View Post
My arborist buddy picked up an echo cs2511 a while back. He loves that little thing. It weighs like 5lbs. It seriously feels like you are playing with one of those little toy chainsaws that you give to kids. Itís crazy how good it is, and half the price of a comparable (and heavier) Stihl. He still has to use his Stihl a lot, because itís capable of pulling a much bigger bar than the echo, but for pruning and small removals he loves the echo. A couple of pounds make a huge difference when you are dragging it up a tree on your belt.

And yes, he one hands the shit out of his top handle saws, thatís kind of the point of them. Beginners shouldnít try it. And you shouldnít make it a habit and do it every cut, but itís frequently necessary. But you get 10 times the control 1 handing a top handle than you do a rear handle
I dont climb trees very often but the weight of this saw is a game changer for me, all the good trees fall on a vertical hillside and its 100x times easier to limb em out there and drag the big parts onto the road with the toyota. Most of the time I dont bother because I dont want to lug a normal sized saw up the side of a cliff. And i can get 10+ cords of oak from fallen trees every winter so my saws have to hold up or they don't stay around.

the average size tree I gotta deal with, and Im pretty much the only mfer out here trying to take care of the place and keep my roads open so it never ends
Old 02-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
Those are nice saws. I been looking for an excuse to get one but everytime I fire this old bitch up, I say nah.
Attached Images

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 09:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
I had to work on a 192tc not to long ago. What a misserable little piece of clapped together over complicated plastic pile.

But theyre cheap. Parts are cheap. And if it eats a piston/jug go buy another saw and save the old one cause plastic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2020, 09:27 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Small saws are made to be "capable" of 1 handed use. They weren't designed with that as a main feature, more of a bonus I guess you'd call it.

And for a :1up: my FIL is an actual arborist. Has something like 40yrs of experience. Pretty much all he's done his whole life.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster831 View Post
I dont climb trees very often but the weight of this saw is a game changer for me, all the good trees fall on a vertical hillside and its 100x times easier to limb em out there and drag the big parts onto the road with the toyota. Most of the time I dont bother because I dont want to lug a normal sized saw up the side of a cliff. And i can get 10+ cords of oak from fallen trees every winter so my saws have to hold up or they don't stay around.

the average size tree I gotta deal with, and Im pretty much the only mfer out here trying to take care of the place and keep my roads open so it never ends
Thatís the same reason Iím planning on picking up a ms261 soon. I love my ms460, but sheís a big heavy bitch and it sucks to drag it through rough terrain. Weíre talking 12lbs vs 16lbs, plus the weight of the longer bar. Iím just doing firewood anymore, so a 20Ē bar will take care of most of my needs. And the 460 will be ready to go with itís 32Ē bar whenever I need to cut something big or sketchy that I really want the power.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncokyle88 View Post
Thatís the same reason Iím planning on picking up a ms261 soon. I love my ms460, but sheís a big heavy bitch and it sucks to drag it through rough terrain. Weíre talking 12lbs vs 16lbs, plus the weight of the longer bar. Iím just doing firewood anymore, so a 20Ē bar will take care of most of my needs. And the 460 will be ready to go with itís 32Ē bar whenever I need to cut something big or sketchy that I really want the power.
I got a 461 also, probably overkill but I didn't want to bend over to cut firewood

Lugging it around will wear you out for sure though.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 220494
Quote:
I got a 461 also, probably overkill but I didn't want to bend over to cut firewood

Lugging it around will wear you out for sure though.
Thatís the main reason I started running a 32Ē. Iím fat, lazy, and have a bad back. Itís a lot nicer to buck stuff standing damn near upright. Anything over a 24Ē bar is rare here in the northeast, people tend to stare at you when you use it. But fuck them, my back hurts less than theirs at the end of the day
Old 02-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 192237
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...-chainsaw.html

I dig the tiny saw, for most everything that's up to 5" or so, I'm one handing while holding it up at normal standing height.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in