Ever come across scary people while camping/wheelin/hiking? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Ever come across scary people while camping/wheelin/hiking?

I've had a couple of crazy times in the back with my wife. We've run across some bad folks in all our travels. We've found people that were cooking meth in the hills, outlaws in the desert, and drunk irresponsible kids with guns on some trails.

Tell me about your camping/outdoor horror stories. A key element to this is being far away from any help - in the middle of nowhere. So if it's a story about a neighborhood park with thugs, it does not qualify.

I'd love to read some of your stories.

Last edited by Yota Up; 01-09-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 75208
I know a guy who's borther had a gun pulled on him while wheeling. Turned out to be a BB gun and dirtbags joking around, but WTF.
Holocene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 24876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holocene View Post
I know a guy who's borther had a gun pulled on him while wheeling. Turned out to be a BB gun and dirtbags joking around, but WTF.
A lot of the guys i go wheelin with have a CCW permit and i'm looking to get one also.

Sounds like a good way to end up dead. "joking around"
Old 02-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 7907
You want scary.... try trapesing around in the outback of Southern Humboldt County in October.......

Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 5132
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPostal View Post
You want scary.... try trapesing around in the outback of Southern Humboldt County in October.......

That sounds like a good time right there.............
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 105214
wtf is trapesing
FailedAbortion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullsizeYota View Post
A lot of the guys i go wheelin with have a CCW permit and i'm looking to get one also.

Sounds like a good way to end up dead. "joking around"

I always have a gun when camping or 4wheeling.

The only way you'll ever know about it is if it's needed. So far it's never been needed...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 5132
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailedAbortion View Post
wtf is trapesing
They call it a walkabout Down Under
Bubba Ray Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mo
Everyday is Tuesday.

Member # 47
Quote:
wtf is trapesing
a typo?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=traipsing
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 17896
No one ever believes me, but about a month before Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped, I ran into that weirdo and his g/f.... Friend of mine and I were up a game trail looking for rattlesnakes (which we found, and captured), and those two came down the trail. I was thinking "WTF? there's nothing above us, where were they coming from???" Turns out that their base camp was up the canyon a ways...

Freaked me right out when they caught them.... "HEY! I've run into them before! HOLY FAWK!" that kind of thing.

Otherwise, yeah, routine run-ins with various weirdos in the wild, but I'm armed, even when I'm unarmed.
tacoma73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 52376
where i go wheeling here in ore-gun you always run into little "meth shacks" in the middle of nowhere when your wheeling. and there is always a 12-gauge in my back window and a 9mm on my hip for that exact reason.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Baconologyst

Member # 32029
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPostal View Post

A group of us went hiking out there in the early 80's... After meeting the nice man with the Uzi, I haven't been back
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 17918
Send a message via AIM to imgonnasnap
Not scary necessarily, but I went camping at the kern river a few years back wtih a gf. We had the unfortunate luck of having a group of gay and lesbian drunks at the spot next to us in the camp grounds. they had a wild time drinking, being gay and switching bathing suits. I went to sleep in my tent and didnt hear much of the action, but my GF was so pissed she kept hitting me to do something. Like I was really gonna go over there!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19934
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
where i go wheeling here in ore-gun you always run into little "meth shacks" in the middle of nowhere when your wheeling. and there is always a 12-gauge in my back window and a 9mm on my hip for that exact reason.
I've ridden into the middle of a pot growing operation. Luckily no one was there. Our group of guys turned and hauled ass out of there. One of them wanted to grab a little something but we told him if he did, we'd beat his ass on the spot. He was later arrested for cooking meth.

I've had a shot gun pointed out a window at me when I passed a full size bronco that had pulled over to let me by. (Riding my dirt bike on gravel roads) I took off, and stopped about a mile up the road to call it in on my cell phone. Cops said to go back and get their plate number. Yeah right! I knew there wasn't much they could do, just wanted someone to know in the off chance something did happen.

Stumbled on a guy bow hunting that wasn't very happy while some friends and I were mountain biking. I guess he drew back on a friend until he heard more of us coming. I didn't see it, only heard about it later.
Snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I was wheeling at Uwharrie in NC on the last day the park was open in '03. We were camping in the "primitive" camping area and ran in to a guy that was setup a little down the road. We had left our tents and some gear setup while we were on the trails and apparently someone tried to steal our shit and he walked up on them and scarred them away. He came back later and drank with us and started telling us stories about being a sniper in the war in Iraq. We though he was full of shit until he first pulled out his night scope and let us play with it.....and then the sniper riffle came out. The guy was deffinitely a little wacko. We were nervous.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
I was wheeling at Uwharrie in NC on the last day the park was open in '03. We were camping in the "primitive" camping area and ran in to a guy that was setup a little down the road. We had left our tents and some gear setup while we were on the trails and apparently someone tried to steal our shit and he walked up on them and scarred them away. He came back later and drank with us and started telling us stories about being a sniper in the war in Iraq. We though he was full of shit until he first pulled out his night scope and let us play with it.....and then the sniper riffle came out. The guy was deffinitely a little wacko. We were nervous.

most people that have been, don't talk about it. Those that never have, love to tell stories.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 56637
Quote:
wtf is trapesing
Maybe like trapping them, then Essing them when you do.

anything pinkpearls posts gets me hott.

and roxy makes all the rules so stfu.
bray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 84339
there's a reason I carry my .30.30 when I'm wheelin...

Knik River Area has it's fair share of vehicle stealings,burnings, abandonment going on. Last year, I think we pulled 13? (9?) burnt/totalled rigs out. So far it looks like there's only 6-7 out there. Spring is coming though, so I'm sure it's gonna be fun come cleanup time.
Pt_Ranger_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_Ranger_V8 View Post
there's a reason I carry my .30.30 when I'm wheelin...

Knik River Area has it's fair share of vehicle stealings,burnings, abandonment going on. Last year, I think we pulled 13? (9?) burnt/totalled rigs out. So far it looks like there's only 6-7 out there. Spring is coming though, so I'm sure it's gonna be fun come cleanup time.
Alaska has its share of weirdos, thats for sure. I think Alaska is a magnet for odd folks.
ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 4878
Send a message via ICQ to Travis Waldher Send a message via MSN to Travis Waldher Send a message via Yahoo to Travis Waldher
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy View Post
Where we are there is always that risk... but now pipe bombs have been added.

Nothing like having to keep an eye out for IED's on the road and trail.

Last edited by Travis Waldher; 02-29-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Travis Waldher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 73059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
Sound like the same dude I ran into up there a few years back ..
Rockhales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 34052
Not really weird, but a few years ago, grouse hunting in Marion Springs Michigan, I heard a bunch of "jibber-jabber" coming from up in a tree.
It was a bow hunter, of Asian descent. He was obviously upset at me for being there, even though it was state land. His english speaking buddy was in a nearby tree, and said some thing like, "couldn't you see us here ??" As the Asian guy was drawing back his bow. ( They were all camo-ed up ) I thought for a split second about swinging my 12 gauge in his direction, then the reality of a broadhead at 60 yards, VS #7-1/2 birdshot at 60 yards, set in.
I calmly walked away, and I don't hunt there anymore.

Last edited by drydocker; 02-29-2008 at 06:22 AM.
drydocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 46933
I came across this one guy, but he didn't wake up...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11141
I was driving my fullsize bronco down a gravel road when this weirdo on a dirt bike starting following me. I had to pullover to let him pass, but made sure I kept a shotgun trained on him as he went by. Fucking methheads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 46933
Quote:
Originally Posted by CronusTRD View Post
I was driving my fullsize bronco down a gravel road when this weirdo on a dirt bike starting following me. I had to pullover to let him pass, but made sure I kept a shotgun trained on him as he went by. Fucking methheads
dudde, that was Ted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in