The differnce between UPS and Fed EX delivery drivers - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13220
The differnce between UPS and Fed EX delivery drivers

I live on a farm and my dogs have free reign 24-7-365. The UPS drivers will always deliver even if we aren't home. The Fed Ex drivers don't. may be policy but where I live in rural America if you are going to be a delivery driver (USPS, UPS Fed-Ex, DHL) then you have to be compfortable delivering to houses with dogs out. The USPS delivers but it is the same lady and she knows my dogs are nice. The problem is they hire drivers from the city and they are afraid of dogs. So since I have no way to lock my dogs up for the day I am going to have to drive to the Fed Ex facility to get my package. I just noticed that the UPS drivers are much more dog friendly and even give treats. It was the same when I lived in Washington State. That is all.
uglytoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglytoy View Post
The problem is they hire drivers from the city and they are afraid of dogs.
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 498
Send a message via ICQ to WheelingPiazza Send a message via AIM to WheelingPiazza
Funny, My ups driver is a wheeler and usually shoots the poop when he drops off parts.

Fedex not so much
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 5123
Send a message via Yahoo to Muddin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxjockey View Post

He means that when FedEx is interviewing people they ask, "Are you from the city?"
If the potential employee answers: "Nope. I live on a farm"
The interviewer will tell them: "I'm sorry, we don't have anything available at this time."
But stabbing and beating a clown is.

Argue not to win victory over your opponent, but to advance toward the truth.
Muddin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 13220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxjockey View Post
I put this in there for humor because there is an obvious reason as to how I know they are from the city. Just a little sterio type humor. I know not all city people are afraid of dogs.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
I worked for DHL for 18 years.....Before Sept 2003, all the DHL drivers were DHL employees....who would take the time to talk to you, not be swayed by a dog, wait 5 min for your package to be ready...

Then....the day after labor day, 2003....John Fellows terminated over 3,500 couriers and instead decided to outsource the drivers using the Airborne model, the company he had just bought.

Most of couriers in the US for DHL, now work for owner-operators. The company has no control over the work they receive, the drivers get paid peanuts, so they resort to stealing. Theft is up, non-delivery is up (non-delivery is when the courier decides he can't deliver your package that day). This was never a problem pre-Sept 2003. Now entire rooms are dedicated to packages the driver is "unable" to deliver.

Ironically...UPS, which was known (and proudly so) as the "tightest ship, in the shipping business", is now the most flexible and friendly of the delivery services.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin View Post
He means that when FedEx is interviewing people they ask, "Are you from the city?"
If the potential employee answers: "Nope. I live on a farm"
The interviewer will tell them: "I'm sorry, we don't have anything available at this time."
Oh. That's not discrimination because farmers aren't a protected class.

Carry on.
Oxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 29177

VS.

Last edited by Blind Driver; 04-16-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Blind Driver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Most of couriers in the US for DHL, now work for owner-operators. The company has no control over the work they receive, the drivers get paid peanuts, so they resort to stealing. Theft is up, non-delivery is up (non-delivery is when the courier decides he can't deliver your package that day). This was never a problem pre-Sept 2003. Now entire rooms are dedicated to packages the driver is "unable" to deliver.
My company gets a consolidated shipment from our headquarters in Germany once a week, via airfreight. We needed something sooner than that, so we had a few parts sent over by DHL express.

They proceeded to 'lose' the package in their internal tracking, screw up the US customs stuff because of this, and our parts sat on a distribution dock in NY for three weeks before we got them. This is the second time this has happened with DHL, the first being about a year and a half ago.

Safe to say we're never using them again.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 18152
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
I worked for DHL for 18 years.....Before Sept 2003, all the DHL drivers were DHL employees....who would take the time to talk to you, not be swayed by a dog, wait 5 min for your package to be ready...

Then....the day after labor day, 2003....John Fellows terminated over 3,500 couriers and instead decided to outsource the drivers using the Airborne model, the company he had just bought.

Ironically...UPS, which was known (and proudly so) as the "tightest ship, in the shipping business", is now the most flexible and friendly of the delivery services.
Damn.

I have only used DHL once and was unimpressed, FedEx is hit or miss and UPS delivery people are great, but the office blows ass.

This insite is amazing into DHL.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Here's the video, the POS Fellows made for the employees being canned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4UQOe6vYx0

Thanks to
Old 04-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 17351
Quote:
I live on a farm and my dogs have free reign 24-7-365. The UPS drivers will always deliver even if we aren't home. The Fed Ex drivers don't. may be policy but where I live in rural America if you are going to be a delivery driver (USPS, UPS Fed-Ex, DHL) then you have to be compfortable delivering to houses with dogs out. The USPS delivers but it is the same lady and she knows my dogs are nice. The problem is they hire drivers from the city and they are afraid of dogs. So since I have no way to lock my dogs up for the day I am going to have to drive to the Fed Ex facility to get my package. I just noticed that the UPS drivers are much more dog friendly and even give treats. It was the same when I lived in Washington State. That is all.
I understand where you're coming from - but think of it from the driver's point of view. The vast majority of the time, they don't know anything but the address the package is going to. They don't if there are dogs (or cats, or elephants, or whatever) roaming around, they don't know if they're "nice" or trained to attack on sight. Hey, it's your property, let your dogs roam around anywhere they want (I do) - BUT, if that's your choice, then quit complaining about drivers not delivering. You want drivers to deliver, secure the dogs somewhere they can't reach the driver.

It really is that simple.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 13220
Not complaining just making a personal observation that I thought ws interesting. Where did I complain? I understand why they may not deliver in this situation. My mail lady is a regular and knows my dogs so she alway's delivers.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Interesting comments

My company uses DHL, they miss 9/10 next day package delivery's and have lost a ton of stuff (sometimes for a week, sometimes forever).

Fed-Ex is fine for business to business, but they can't seem to find my house even after calling a leaving turn by turn instructions. Then the fawkers left my passport laying on the ground by the main road 1/3 mile from my house (no snow, summer) no call or anything. I found my passport laying in the ditch that evening. . No more Fed-Ex for me.

UPS makes it every time, unless my driveway is really icy. the driver even come up to the house using tire chains . UPS rocks in my book.

USPS - has also been really good (rural carrier)
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
Damn.

I have only used DHL once and was unimpressed, FedEx is hit or miss and UPS delivery people are great, but the office blows ass.

This insite is amazing into DHL.
DHL was a great company. Good to their employees. It was started BEFORE FedEx, in 1969 by Larry Hillbloom. He had made $6000 in the stock market and ran into friend, Adrian Dalsey at the Co-Op market in San Francisco. He pitched Adrian an idea for a company, that would allow them to get free tickets to Hawaii. By taking checks by hand from Hawaii and delivering them same day to the Federal Reserve in San Francisco, banks would earn millions in extra interest, since they previously took days to reach by boat. The idea was...they would gladly pay for their free tickets to Hawaii. Robert Lynn, an attorney was added...and DHL, for Dalsey, Hillbloom and Lynn was created.

The first corporate office, was burned out law office in Honolulu. The desk was plywood on 2 saw-horses. They couldn't afford electricity, so an extension cord with a mechanics car light was hung from the ceiling for light. From those humble beginnings, a company of 55,000 employees worldwide was created and was the #1 Shipper Worldwide. At it's peak, DHL held over 75% of the ENTIRE WORLDWIDE OVERNIGHT SHIPPING business. In most countries outside the US...people said "I'll just DHL this", much as we say "FedEx it". This was a company, that there were no time clocks. Couriers put their hours down on time cards, based on the honor system. Hours were rounded up, to the nearest 15 minute increment.

It's not like that anymore...and the customer base, which was VERY LOYAL, and was willing to pay higher prices for a premium service...suddenly found themselves, paying premium prices for shoddy service, based on the financially troubled Airborne company. Fellows thought, he could just buy the 18% market in the US and seemlessly become #3 in the US (DHL was already #1 in the world BY FAR, but only had 2% of the US business).

It failed miserably. In 2001, Vic Guinasso, the CEO was fired because the company lost money, about 90 million. Vic was great to work with...a life long DHL employee, who loved the employees. John Fellows was brought in by Uwe Dorkin, from Deutche Post. The German post office, had bought DHL international (but not US). John brought in succubus consultants from the Bain Company (if you ever work for a company that hires this firm...GET A NEW JOB NOW). The Bain company "specializes" in effeciency improvements...but what they really do, is KILL a company, get it to file bankruptcy, and they assume control. The first of Bain's "help", DHL lost 200 Million. The next year, even more.

That's when the Black Tuesday (day after labor day, 2003) plan was implemented.

DHL has steadily lost the 20% market share that it had at the time of the Airborne purchase. Deutche Post has thrown over a billion dollars in loss at the US market. Worldwide...business is good...but the US...is a huge money vacuum.

As a lifelong DHL employee...who do I ship with? UPS mostly....I still hate FedEx....purple is a color I hate. I used to bleed maroon. Maroon and tan was the company colors, until Duetche Post decided to deploy the current, Winnie The Pooh color scheme.

So...now that you know what DHL stands for....here's some infamous alternatives:

Documents, Hopelessly Lost
Dummies, Handling Letters <--- very appropriate now
Duey, Huey and Louie
Dykes, Homos and Lesbians Redundant, but always popular

Thanks to

Last edited by atvobsession; 04-16-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
By the way...

John Fellows and Uwe Dorkin...the masterminds of the DHL purchase of Airborne...were both fired. Uwe was the golden child, within Deutche Post, but the debacle of the purchase was his death sentence.

John Fellows is also infamous within DHL for moving the Corporate office from San Francisco, to Plantation, FL. Why Plantation, FL? Why, because the assphat didn't want to move from Hilton Head, SC. He knew he couldn't get a Corporate office there, so he lobbied the germans for 2 years to move it closer, so his flight home was shorter.

So, in 2003, he moved the corporate office in San Franciso...broke 8 years left on a 10 year lease, to Florida. Of the 400 or so employees in the San Francisco office, only 10% actually moved to Florida. Leaving a HUGE gap in experience and knowledge.

So instead of 1 family being uprooted and moved....he derailed 400 people's lives.

I hope John Fellows dies, cold and alone.

Thanks to

Last edited by atvobsession; 04-16-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 62866
My UPS guy is reliable, shows up 9:20, give or take 5 minutes. Seems to be a decent guy, don't talk to him much though.

The FEDEX driver shows up whenever she feels like it, has her good days and bad. I would still prefer my FEDEX eye candy...

hick
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
The UPS driver back home has been delivering to the farm for at least 20 years, and does a darned good job of delivery. Of course, the package actually has to make it to his depot, but once it's there, you can set a clock by how long it take to deliver.

Several years ago, on a visit home for Christmas, I discovered a problem with the front end on my Heep. 22 hours later, the UPS driver rolls into the yard with a 60 lb. box delivered from southern California.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 80248
UPS is great where we are, minus the fact we are the last stop so we usually get stuff around 8pm if we aren't there he usually drops it in the garage if the door is open or next to the side door so you cant see it from the street. FedEx is ok, but their package tracking sucks for our location, and they can be completely unpredicatible when the package will come.

DHL is the retarded fawkers who have dropped packages off on the stack of boxes on the garbage can. Several things almost got thrown away.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 55759
I like teh UPS
Bull1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22104
We feed our UPS guy homecooked lunch everyday and get great service. I wonder if the 2 things relate?

One thing, the Mesquite hub hates it when you ship ATV tires and wheels and will do everything it can to break up packages and lose labels. At least 50% of our wheels and tires never make it out of Mesquite.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 18661
I have always had great luck with UPS. So much so that I will go out of my way to use them over FedEx or DHL. I've known my driver for 5+ years now, know about his family and his hobbies. Doug is a really good guy in my book. They're tracking system works great for my needs, too. I recently had an issue where the not so bright person at the desk at Staples Copy and Print Center/UPS location (Staples employee) input the address for a package of mine incorrectly (despite the fact that I had written down clearly for her). I did not see the screen of the computer, so I didn't know there was an issue at the time. I got a call two or so days later from the distribution center in the area where I was sending the package. They wanted to get ahold of me to confirm the address and be sure that the package got where it needed to. That's pretty great customer service in my eyes. That package could have bounced around the system forever, but instead they got the issue fixed and still delivered it on time.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22104
Anybody got any insider info on when UPS auctions off the lost and broken open stuff. My driver doesnt know, only that the name UPS is never associated with the auction.

I would love to go and buy back some tires.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Driver View Post

VS.

Funny, just the opposite in Grass Valley. I'd love to rail my cute little FedEx gal. The pimply faced UPS dude? Not so much.
<edit> I'll ask her to pose for a photo when I get back into town. Perhaps its time for a survey?
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt

Last edited by Screwzer2; 04-16-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 13412
Quote:
My understanding is that FedEx drivers are independent contractors for FedEx, they own their truck (or they are leasing it?) and they are financially responsible for lost packages. It may not be the dogs; it may be they don't want to get a call from their supervisor telling them the package they left of the porch disappeared, and they're paycheck is being docked the value of the package.

I could be wrong, but this seems to be the case for the FedEx driver who delivers packages to my dad in Crescent City, Ca...the driver is based out of Eureka and is the only guy making that drive north to the border.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in