Hoarding...wtf - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 805642
Hoarder here with extreme OCD, can't stand the thought of throwing away something that's still good, or that I might be able to use one day. It causes me extreme emotional distress.

Also get very sentimentally attached to my possessions and would much rather fix something than toss it. If I lose something of mine or break it, I'll lose sleep over it for days. Same goes for if I see something in the garbage that I'm unable to pick up or simply don't have room for, especially if it's older stuff.

With that said, I'm pretty organized with my hoard, for the most part. Digging through a pile of junk looking for something just pisses me off, so my piles are very organized! One of my friends called me "the neatest pack rat" he'd ever seen LOL.

But everything I keep could potentially be used again someday or re-purposed for something else, the hoarders that keep old food, dirty diapers, etc. never made sense to me.
jimmy123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #102 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16809
My aunt is a real deal Horder... Just buys stuff... Crazy amounts of it. Presents she forgets about... Shit on sale... You name it. She sleeps in a chair because her bedroom is literally packed floor to ceiling. It comes down to... They see their "stuff" as a part of them. You cannot fix that. Sure... You get asshurt with whoever and go forcefully clean out their mess... But they are going to hate you for it and collect the stuff again. Only real way to "fix" them is for them to realize they are "broken" and want to change. Just like any other addiction. Food, drugs, alcohol, stuff... Etc. Until that happens there is not a lot you can do. If they are a danger to themselves have them committed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy123456789 View Post
Hoarder here with extreme OCD, can't stand the thought of throwing away something that's still good, or that I might be able to use one day. It causes me extreme emotional distress.

Also get very sentimentally attached to my possessions and would much rather fix something than toss it. If I lose something of mine or break it, I'll lose sleep over it for days. Same goes for if I see something in the garbage that I'm unable to pick up or simply don't have room for, especially if it's older stuff.

With that said, I'm pretty organized with my hoard, for the most part. Digging through a pile of junk looking for something just pisses me off, so my piles are very organized! One of my friends called me "the neatest pack rat" he'd ever seen LOL.

But everything I keep could potentially be used again someday or re-purposed for something else, the hoarders that keep old food, dirty diapers, etc. never made sense to me.
Kinda like a funtioning alcoholic... An alcoholic non the less. It is good to be organized but to be that shaken up by "stuff" is not good.

BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Bumping this thread again,

Anyone want a free oak TV stand that was off loaded into my new shed? Apparently it can't fit through the front door of its owners home so now it's my problem but not for long
Old 08-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post

Anyone want a free oak TV stand that was off loaded into my new shed? Apparently it can't fit through the front door of its owners home so now it's my problem but not for long
Burn it. Then it B GONE!
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #105 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:

Did you really bump a 3 month old thread about hoarding to try and give something away to one of the hoarders? That's methed up!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Did you really bump a 3 month old thread about hoarding to try and give something away to one of the hoarders? That's methed up!
There are a lot of people here that don't think they have a problem
Old 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM   #107 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
There are a lot of people here that don't think they have a problem
Yeah well maybe we just like acquiring stuff...

Just had these 4 bad boys dropped off next to our shop. Gonna be a hoarders paradise after I'm done building my storage facility...

Name:  IMG950239.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  62.3 KB

40' long high cube containers. Planning on setting them up on 2' high 2' wide 6' long barrier blocks and putting two end to end 50' apart from each other and then putting a roof over the middle for vehicle storage.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
Yeah well maybe we just like acquiring stuff...

Just had these 4 bad boys dropped off next to our shop. Gonna be a hoarders paradise after I'm done building my storage facility...

Attachment 2895078

40' long high cube containers. Planning on setting them up on 2' high 2' wide 6' long barrier blocks and putting two end to end 50' apart from each other and then putting a roof over the middle for vehicle storage.
Start a build thread, sounds like it will be cool.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #109 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard View Post
Start a build thread, sounds like it will be cool.
When I get going on it really well I'll post something up! I gotta get some equipment worked over a bit and move some dirt for a pad before I get too gung-ho on it.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:01 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 3455
So what do you guys do if you have a good friend who is like this, but it's making you not want to be friends with them anymore...?

Specifically, they have a problem, they know they have a problem, but they frequently bend your ear trying to drag you into their fantasy world where it's not actually their fault and they just can't understand why things don't get better on their own, or they're asking for you to come up with a plan to help them, having zero intention to follow through and change.

Do you grit your teeth and just nod and smile? Tell them to shut the fuck up and stop trying to get you to validate their bullshit? Stop being friends with them and move on with your own life?

MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Quote:

Sounds like you got some firewood in your wood shed.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 AM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 18369
I figured out hoarding is/was amplified as a thought processes handed down from parents of the great depression era as the last concept known as to where it was "very", useful in the US. As newer fangled items were developed and costly, it was/is hard to let the concept go. While also grasping at the 'how dose it work/ what does it mean, or does it have potential value, or can it have parts for fixing another item.
I remember my dad talking about using the first Superman comics as fire-starters growing up.
We had a week or 2 to buy a home an move my dad so I watched his heart break as we tossed a lot of stuff. The VHS tapes of old movies seemed to hit the hardest. just sharing.
Wazzobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 04:51 AM   #113 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443
Stop trying to save your dad.
People are what they are. You won't change them.
Accept what he is.
Love the good parts.
Ignore this shit.

It's only pissing you off so much because you know you are "just like your father". How is your garage / cellar / closet / drawer of random shit coming along? Shit starting to pile up?

Hows your paperwork? Organized in folders? In a certain spot at your organized workdesk?

Just saying

Make sure you don't copy this behaviour later in life.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 41789
You guys should listen to this. The first few minutes are irrelevant but the last part explains a lot. Basically there is now a legal definition for hoarding and there are some specific requirements that must be met to be labeled a hoarder. If you meet those requirements you can get help for it and have it paid by insurance. After listening to it I realized most everyone I thought was a hoarder and most of the people in this thread are not hoarders by the legal definition but rather just extreme collectors of stuff. Those that are true hoarders have a true psychological issue that needs attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
Worth listening to if you have hoarders in your life.

https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/p...ding-works.htm
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 3937
I know a guy that likely meets the "legal" definition. He's an interesting character. He worked in the oil field back in the day and was making good money. Bought a 10+ acre lot, had a house built and put up a huge quonset hut. Not long after he got settled in his wife passed away and he went off the deep end. He lost his job and decided that he was going to go into the buying abandoned storage unit game long before it was popular (this was back in the early 90's). His idea was to resell the furniture as a way to make money. At first he did ok, but then he got tired of throwing away all the stuff he wasn't going to resell, so he decided he would start trying to sell it at yard sales. This is where things got bad. Now every time he'd buy a storage unit, the furniture would go to a storage warehouse that he sold it out of, and the rest would just get piled in his quonsite hut. He never had the yard sales, he just kept piling. He got worse and worse about letting anything go (other then the furniture) he filled the quonsite hut to the point you can barely walk through it, he filled his house, his garage and it flowed out into the yard. He brought home anything he thought had a value, yet he refused to sell any of it. It got so bad that a couple years ago the county declared his place a health hazard and forced him to clear the yard. He spent a bunch of money scrapping stuff that was good when he brought it home, yet he left it sitting in the weather until it was junk. He's now so bad that he can't hold a decent job because he starts hoarding everything he can at work and gets in fights when told to clean up his mess. On one hand I feel bad for him because I really think he has a mental problem, but then you talk to him and he comes off like he knows what he is doing, he just doesn't care and wants to do it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 693689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
wait 'til he dies and you get to organize/go through it all
Agree. You aren't going to change him. Don't make him an enemy. It will be your pile of shit to clean up one day though when he dies.
DannyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 693689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
So what do you guys do if you have a good friend who is like this, but it's making you not want to be friends with them anymore...?

Specifically, they have a problem, they know they have a problem, but they frequently bend your ear trying to drag you into their fantasy world where it's not actually their fault and they just can't understand why things don't get better on their own, or they're asking for you to come up with a plan to help them, having zero intention to follow through and change.

Do you grit your teeth and just nod and smile? Tell them to shut the fuck up and stop trying to get you to validate their bullshit? Stop being friends with them and move on with your own life?

If their hoarding bothered me to the point that I didn't want to be around them, then I would stop being friends with them. The point of having friends is that they are people that you want to be around.
DannyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in