Navy guys chime in - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 129959
Navy guys chime in

Well, so far so good for me.

Got into some "trouble" when I was younger, and up until today I've been waiting for my recruiter to obtain a backround check to see what exactly was on there. I just talked to him today and he tells me it looks like everything should be alright and squared away, we're going to start filling out paperwork on Monday.

I'm not decided yet as to what field I want to get into(Nuke is not an option), so Navy guys, give me some advice. What is your job? How do you like it? If you did it all over would you do it differently? What are some things to look out for so I don't get fucked over? Etc.

About a year ago I took a practice ASVAB and got somewhere around an 85, I can't remember exactly. I picked up two huge study guides, and I'm going to start studying up later today.

Any advice is appreciated.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Naughty Nurse

Member # 19565
Send a message via AIM to APRILRAZZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep191 View Post
Well, so far so good for me.

Got into some "trouble" when I was younger, and up until today I've been waiting for my recruiter to obtain a backround check to see what exactly was on there. I just talked to him today and he tells me it looks like everything should be alright and squared away, we're going to start filling out paperwork on Monday.

I'm not decided yet as to what field I want to get into(Nuke is not an option), so Navy guys, give me some advice. What is your job? How do you like it? If you did it all over would you do it differently? What are some things to look out for so I don't get fucked over? Etc.

About a year ago I took a practice ASVAB and got somewhere around an 85, I can't remember exactly. I picked up two huge study guides, and I'm going to start studying up later today.

Any advice is appreciated.
Search and you will find several threads on this topic.
Corpsman myself. Not bad if you don't mind shit and blood.
"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results."-Albert Einstein
APRILRAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 129959
Ah, I was afraid I missed something.

I searched anything with "Navy" in the title and came up with nothing. I'll go back and search some more, thanks.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2931
mm2/ss ryun

nuke machinist mate/ engineering laboratory technician, uss san juan(ssn 751) up until march 1994
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I started out as an Aviation Ordnanceman (AO), but there was no room for me in the other Weapons' divisions. They place me in G4 Weapons Elevators. I was fawkin greasing elevator cables for a living. So, I was lucky and the Navigation Master Chief got word from a friend of mine that I was smart and unhappy. He had the ear of the Gator (Navigator) and the Gator had the ear of the XO. So, I was able to cross-rate to QM (Quartermaster) which performs navigational duties aboard ships. You work in the airconditioning most of the time, and the only really demanding parts of the job are when you are coming into/leaving port. My point is that a lot of jobs are a crap shoot.....sometimes you get good positions in good divisions and sometimes you don't. QMs work in the Nav Department which is always small. Small=good. You are close to the Captain, so when you end up at Captain's Mast like I did then your restriction will likely be shorter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRILRAZZ View Post
Search and you will find several threads on this topic.
Corpsman myself. Not bad if you don't mind shit and blood.
I'm currently in the process of signing up as a corpsman myself.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine4x4 View Post
I'm currently in the process of signing up as a corpsman myself.
That should make the Navy a safer place.

Good luck pecker checker.

Last edited by rugger; 04-23-2010 at 01:27 PM.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 848
If you do anything maintenance related, you'll be working double shifts while everyone else is having fun....

Last edited by Nobody; 04-23-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 109710
I can't say it enough.... choose a job you think you will enjoy. Don't let your recruiter talk you into doing something you're not sure about.
If you like your rate, you'll enjoy your time in the Navy.
Research the different jobs out there. You've scored high enough on your asvab that you should have your choice of just about anything.

Don't let your recruiter talk you into something and tell you that you can change jobs later... it's not that easy.
Keep manning in mind. If the job is over populated, advancement will be more difficult.
I came in as an electronic warfare technician and have done everything from antiship missile defense to working counter ied with the Army.

I would suggest finding a job that will give you good skills that transfer into the civilian community for when/if you decide to get out. Any job that requires a security clearance will help as well.
Jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 51243
With an ASVAB score that high, they will try their best to get you into the nuke field. Which, incidentally, Nuclear "power school" has the highest suicide rate of all Navy schools.

And your choice for duty stations? Yep. Carriers or subs. Fast advancement, smoking SRBs. Not worth it. Besides, carriers nukes are nastier than conventional engineers (if that is even possible)and that is saying alot.

They will also try to talk you into going ET/FC. Like they did to me. I wanted to be in the Seabees (i get horrible motion sickness) but they talked me into being an FC and did that job for 10 years. I spent 3 years consuming twice daily amounts of dramamine while I was attached to a DDG.

Whatever you do, DON'T go to the fleet undesignated, DON'T be an AO, GM, BM, (knuckledraggers and gorillas) and if you don't like Filipinos and black people, don't be an SK, SH or CS. If you want to do something that converts to a good civilian job, IT, ET, CT, FC or OS is a good place to be, and for sea going rates, they work in air conditioning.

Last edited by GMCTruxrule; 04-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.
GMCTruxrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 99761
I was talked into being an Avionics Technician. The work was good and we were well respected, but the transferable skills are limited. Nobody repairs electronics anymore, they just replace it.

Shop level ATs always work in air conditioning.

Last edited by recoiljunky; 04-23-2010 at 04:44 PM.
recoiljunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Check out the Damage Controlman rate. Lots of fun to be had there.

What you really want to be is a Boiler Tech. King of the knuckle draggers.
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 45990
I went EOD/GMG back in the early 80's. Loved it. Rode gators for 6 years. Underway about 10 months out of the year.

But I liked being at sea, it's not for everyone.
richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 14059
you fit and suicidal? SEALs make great money and have all the fun. Just throwing another option out there.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 51243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarogenius View Post
Check out the Damage Controlman rate. Lots of fun to be had there.

What you really want to be is a Boiler Tech. King of the knuckle draggers.
Love teh black!!!!!

Fawking hilarious

HT = worst rate in the Navy.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 109276
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
... So, I was able to cross-rate to QM (Quartermaster) which performs navigational duties aboard ships. You work in the airconditioning most of the time, and the only really demanding parts of the job are when you are coming into/leaving port. My point is that a lot of jobs are a crap shoot.....sometimes you get good positions in good divisions and sometimes you don't. QMs work in the Nav Department which is always small. Small=good. You are close to the Captain, so when you end up at Captain's Mast like I did then your restriction will likely be shorter.
2nd this. If you want to be up top and know what's going on all the time QM is the way to go. I was a snipe so I never knew what the hell was going on. I was always making rounds or standing live engine room watch at 10 bells with my shirt soaked with sweat.

EDIT: I like it though, nobody gave us any shit or paid any attention to us. We had the most fun on liberty too!

Last edited by StuartTX; 04-23-2010 at 05:06 PM.
StuartTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 49232
Send a message via Yahoo to Camarogenius
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCTruxrule View Post
Love teh black!!!!!

Fawking hilarious

HT = worst rate in the Navy.
Hey, FAWK YOU!!!!!!!
Camarogenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:

At least I'll be able to check my own
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 153328
Former CT here, any of the CT rates are good CTR,CTT,CTO,CTM, you get a TS/SCI clearance, sea/shore rotation isn't bad, unless your a CTR, nice duty stations, secret squirrel work, air conditioning.. and your A school is Pensacola Fl, NTTC Corry Station.. I would have stayed in but I was going to be stuck inside the beltway in Washington DC for a long time.. So I renlisted in the Army instead.. and that move alone proves you don't need a high ASVAB score....
MedicMog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:

I don't really think you need to tell him good luck. There's plenty for him to check.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
If you do anything maintenance related, you'll be working double shifts while everyone else is having fun....
Only if you're good at it. Otherwise, you go have fun too.

- The lush life-giving land, our personal responsibility.

- Darlington County Chapter
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 93306
wash the poop deck seamen
Old 04-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 18774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
I can't say it enough.... choose a job you think you will enjoy. Don't let your recruiter talk you into doing something you're not sure about.
If you like your rate, you'll enjoy your time in the Navy.
Research the different jobs out there. You've scored high enough on your asvab that you should have your choice of just about anything.

Don't let your recruiter talk you into something and tell you that you can change jobs later... it's not that easy.
Keep manning in mind. If the job is over populated, advancement will be more difficult.
I came in as an electronic warfare technician and have done everything from antiship missile defense to working counter ied with the Army.

I would suggest finding a job that will give you good skills that transfer into the civilian community for when/if you decide to get out. Any job that requires a security clearance will help as well.
^^^^ Pay attention to those two. DON'T let your recruiter push you into a rate you do not or are not sure you want. It is not easy to change rates. In my case, my recruiter just wanted to add me to his list of recruitees, if I knew then what I know now I would never have let him talk me into my rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicMog View Post
Former CT here, any of the CT rates are good CTR,CTT,CTO,CTM, you get a TS/SCI clearance, sea/shore rotation isn't bad, unless your a CTR, nice duty stations, secret squirrel work, air conditioning.. and your A school is Pensacola Fl, NTTC Corry Station.. I would have stayed in but I was going to be stuck inside the beltway in Washington DC for a long time.. So I renlisted in the Army instead.. and that move alone proves you don't need a high ASVAB score....
What rate were you? I was CTO, 1994-1998.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 135027
In my many years in the IT and telecom field I have worked with many prior Navy ETs. I have to say they were ALL top notch and advanced well in the civilian world. I was in the Army Signal Corps for 8 years and if I knew then what I know now, I would have been a Navy ET.
Jacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 102673
Navy Diver here. Fast advancement, good money, the school house kicks most of the shit bags out, you can go to almost any school the military offers, transfers well to the civilian world.
GreenTaco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in