H3 SAS (first detailed thread?) - Page 16 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #376 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
your shackle should look like that ^ at ride height, maybe a little closer to 90*

if your shackles are at 90* ride height (straight up and down) your spring is doing all the droop and your shackle isn't doing anything for droop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Wut?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 H3 View Post
Lol I agree.

On another note Iím gonna run it at about that far negative arch. I found a pic that wasnít far off from that the first time I flexed the soa.

I think what he is saying that with the shackle at 90* there is very little swing left to the shackle, making the spring do more work. the same could be said for compression. In my experience a vertical shackle makes for a stiffer ride.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #377 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Send a message via AIM to 86chevyjoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
I think what he is saying that with the shackle at 90* there is very little swing left to the shackle, making the spring do more work. the same could be said for compression. In my experience a vertical shackle makes for a stiffer ride.
exactly!

your shackle should be at the 45* degree angle in your pics at ride height, not when the spring is fully (over) compressed (depending how arched your springs are of course). if your shackle is straight up and down at ride height (90*), your spring will be doing all the work when it droops (hard on the spring).

if you want your springs to last, i'd bump stop them when they are flat and not over compress them but to each their own

Last edited by 86chevyjoe; 10-15-2018 at 11:24 AM.
86chevyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #378 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Quote:
Wut?

Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #379 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86chevyjoe View Post
exactly!

your shackle should be at the 45* degree angle in your pics at ride height, not when the spring is fully (over) compressed (depending how arched your springs are of course). if your shackle is straight up and down at ride height (90*), your spring will be doing all the work when it droops (hard on the spring).

if you want your springs to last, i'd bump stop them when they are flat and not over compress them but to each their own
Ill have to get some pics at ride height. They look pretty equal to what the pic showed at full bump. As they go into negative arch the shackle starts to come back to less angle.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #380 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I still don't understand the comment about the 'spring doing all the work' when it droops.

Are you saying that the shackle is imparting more forces on the spring? Worst, it's putting a tensile force on the top leaf which may add additional spring rate, but this only occurs in certain situations.

I agree that a vertical shackle at ride height isn't ideal. Most shoot for between 30-45į at ride height, but it really comes down to how flat your springs are at ride height, length of springs, travel of springs, and how long your shackle is.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #381 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 128588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 H3 View Post
As they go into negative arch the shackle starts to come back to less angle.
correct

Quote:
I still don't understand the comment about the 'spring doing all the work' when it droops.

Are you saying that the shackle is imparting more forces on the spring? Worst, it's putting a tensile force on the top leaf which may add additional spring rate, but this only occurs in certain situations.

I agree that a vertical shackle at ride height isn't ideal. Most shoot for between 30-45į at ride height, but it really comes down to how flat your springs are at ride height, length of springs, travel of springs, and how long your shackle is.
I am saying that the shackle is not doing anything productive and the spring is doing all the "drooping" or "flexing" Ie, it's hard on your springs. your last sentence couldn't be more true, there is a ton of variables.

It's a pain in the ass, but I like to remove all the leaves but the main and actually find out where full bump is and then set up your shackle angle and bump stops accordingly. you can use a block of wood in between your main leaf and spring perch to simulate the leaf pack and be able to tighten down your ubolts, as you probably already know.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #382 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Bump: finished the anti wrap bar, picked up a used 4l60e out of an H3 alpha with 80k on it and got that it in. Installing a trans by yourself with a normal floor jack is always a blast.

I cut out the old trans crossmember. On one hand I say Iím an idiot...the crossmember has taken a beating and never has giving me a lick of trouble. Itís one of the few things I havenít bent...but on the other hand I am trying to shoot for more ground clearance and a flat belly.

Now I have to finish the 205. My first one was a synchronized 205 unfortunately. I found that out later...seeing I canít use twin sticks without changing the whole front output I picked up another one. This one is from a 73 blazer. I already have the twin sticks, and VSS ready to install. I assume the front output is 10 spline and the rear is a slip yoke. I gotta figure out driveshafts...I have a 1310 Jeep shaft and a 3R OEM Chevy shaft, I could use that or I could upgrade the output to 32 spline and get a new flange...gotta do the SYE out back too.

Still need to do before wheeling:
Crossmember and skid
Doubler
Sway bars
Front air bumps (Olympus said they will ship a week from today)
Some wiring
Shifter setup for doubler
RADesigns shifter
Since the motor was pulled I gotta recharge the AC, add coolant and PS fluid.
Driveshafts
Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #383 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Bump:

Finished the rear end completely! Ignore the unequal length shocks, I had the front flexing out causing the rear to squat on one end amd bent shackles that have now been replaced to make it all even.

Probably bumped, anti wrap bar, new bushings around, shackles, air bumps, more uptravel, new hub seal from the torched one when I broke the shaft, modified 9in truss from ruffstuff, u bolt elim perches, and I am sure I am forgetting more. Don't have to touch the rear again!!

New 3rd link bracket, 3 hole adjustable so I can start messing with 3 link #s....and you can see I am working on the rock lights as well....

Modified gas tank skid bracketry and through those little bolt head protectors on...Need to get one more.

Started cleaning up the 205...ORD parts ordered, SYE, Yokes, and I already had their twin stick rails and VSS from behemoth sitting on the shelf for a while. They should be here Wednesday.

I really really didn't want to mount my bumps inside the coils due to added stress on the bucket but there was not many other options....Still need to build a lower landing pad for the bump.

So much happier that these coils don't unseat 8in like my last ones...These barely do...

Since I went the route of bumps in the coil I renforced the bucket with 1/4 angle iron around the ends...(before I did in pic)

I will add more reinforcement and tube from the bucket to the frame once I make sure this coil rate is correct...I am afraid it will be too soft. Its a 5.5in metalcloak coil for a TJ. My old ones were 4.5 for a ZJ. the "bumper bounce test" seemed ok so far.

Now I wait for the never showing up behemoth parts...bummed he was the only guy willing to do a one off project. I understand that ORD and NWF have their own kits and are bigger companies that stick with signature products so I wait.....

I can still work on the wiring aftermarket accessories, finish up the bumps, mount the front sway bar (from a rear FJ80) but then I just need to build the crossmember and do the 205 doubler.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #384 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Subd to da thread

Last edited by Lugnutt; 11-15-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #385 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Sick build canít wait to see more
Old 11-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #386 (permalink)

Member # 140360
Awesome Build!!! love the "oddball" rigs!
UrbnKrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 PM   #387 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 19675
Send a message via AIM to joez Send a message via Yahoo to joez
Love the updates. Be very curious how well those bumps hold up, I've been eying those or DV8's to replace my day star stingers I mounted inside the coils on my 80.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #388 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutt View Post
Subd to da thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutt View Post
Sick build canít wait to see more
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbnKrwlr View Post
Awesome Build!!! love the "oddball" rigs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joez View Post
Love the updates. Be very curious how well those bumps hold up, I've been eying those or DV8's to replace my day star stingers I mounted inside the coils on my 80.
Thanks everyone I appreciate it! Still working on it...this is the longest itís ever been down I gotta get it running and ready soon so by Dec 21st I can drive it down south and then head to sand hollow after Christmas.

I got to work on the 205

SYE, VSS and Twin stick...

The twin stick is giving me some trouble. I donít see the detents in the long stick and I canít move the short stick...it seems jammed. Everything else installed without issue. I will get back to that soon. For now I am reassembling my old t case with a new chain and front output gear to get wheeling.

I started reading better reviews from behemoth after his first round of issues, he turned a clean slate and was better, I guess not. 1 more week turned into 1 more week again which turned into 2 more weeks, and now itís 3 weeks after the ď2 more weeksĒ he promised Oct 12th it will ship...filed a dispute with the CC company. Iíll either get my parts or money and use it elsewhere for a regular doubler...I would rather use my 4:1 planetary but we shall see.

Since I cut my old crossmember out I will probably have to redo it twice! thanks behemoth...I will make a new one in attempt to flat belly and clock my factory case. I found a NWF S10 clocking ring works!

Got the rear FJ80 sway bar mounted up front! Gotta make links for it now to attach to the frame.

Front end is almost back together...once I get the doubler figured out I can get wheeling and start the fun again of tuning shocks, bumps and hope TJ Metalcloak coils are stiff enough. I wish I knew spring rates compared to Rustyís offroad ZJ coils.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #389 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
UPDATE: This bitch is running and driving!!!!

WOW, it feels SOOOO much better! It still drove very nice on the road but it's at another level now.

Much less body roll and the front sway bar isn't even hooked up yet. It could be a combo of the anti wrap bar acting as an additional sway bar? More link separation on the 3 link? I thought the springs and shocks were softer by the bounce test but it has less body roll and feels more compliant. I am stoked with on road improvements. Again, if I left things alone it still worked...I put over 30k miles on the SAS without fear of driving it at freeway speeds but its just that much better now. I know I said that already but I am excited!

So what have I done since?

Well with my t case doubler not done and waiting on parts I did get my full refund from behemoth. He acknowledged he went over his timeline on my one off project and refunded my money. He did agree to complete it and I will pay him when its finished...With that said I got an S10 clocking ring I wanted to proceed with more ground clearance and I already cut out my old crossmember. The S10 ring works and I ended up clocking it 20 degrees (10 shown in the pic) I did cut the ear off the case for more clearance and took a BFH to hammer in the floor ever so slightly. I used my spare case, emptied it out so it was light and easy to make adjustments while clocking it

I also put a fresh chain and front output gear in it since they were trashed.

Here is the crossmember I built the middle notch is for the crossmember mount. Since its tucked up I could move the crossmember up an additional inch. The other notch is for the driveshaft. You can see there is more angle on the driver side then the pass side and that's for exhaust clearance.

A pic of my weld...

Here you can see how much higher the t case is then the old torsion bar crossmember. The gains were a little over 2inches. When you put in the perspective of 2 more inches of lift for clearance without the actually downside of more lift I think its pretty significant! I will modify the torsion bar crossmember when I do the doubler.

After that I washed it in the driveway and drove it...WOW! Much better, OEM Take out trans shifts much better then that yahoo who "rebuilt" my trans. suspension feels great!

So its driveable but not wheelable just yet. What's left? Exhaust...I had to cut part of it out for the clocked t case. I used that flexible exhaust crap to temporarily get it back on the road.

When I pulled the motor I snagged the e locker wire and ripped it out of the locker I have a new stator showing up tomorrow and I need a t case skid. I will try to get snow wheeling next weekend, then head down south for the holidays and then off to sand hollow Utah for new years!

Last edited by 06 H3; 12-09-2018 at 08:20 AM.
06 H3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #390 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I totally get the improved street manners making you giddy. I know that's how I'll be when I get my front sway bar installed. The little things add up to a lot comparing 'driveable' and 'enjoyable' on the road when you're driving a truck on 40s with axles from 40+ years ago.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #391 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Like the progress
Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #392 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
So, I got the hummer finished up and took it on a snow wheeling trip for my shakedown. I went out with my brother in his JK on 40s and junkyard ton's and then my buddy in his SAS Chev. We went up to MET and since it was our first time we did go further then we were supposed to. Sorry! We didn't know or see any signs. It wont happen again.

Driving to the trail.

Snow wheeling

I am new to snow wheeling so it was fun and learning the ropes added for more fun.

After that I went over some small things and took off to so cal for the holidays. Drove it 350 miles down south and all was well. I did notice at some point that my rear Eaton wheel bearing got loose! I was fearful it chewed up the spindle but luckily it didn't. I pulled it apart, replaced the bearings, center punched and loc tited the bearing surface and well over 1k miles later its still happy.

Here she is back in her old home town.

I ran some errands for my mom and ran into someone at target who was checking it out. He saw the UA stickers and is a big UA fan, we had a good 30 min chat. It was super cool!

After Christmas we hung out for a few days and took off to Sand Hollow on the 29th.

My buddy flopped on an off shoot line on Nasty Half. I was put in a tough position to get him to winch back over. I was all off camber but I got to where I needed to be and flopped him back over via the winch.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #393 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
This kind of shows where I had to go. Up above him and not pictured is where I had to position myself which was way off camber.

My buddy in his land cruiser

Sleep wasn't too great, 2:30AM a gnarly wind storm rolled in then snowed.

The tent felt like it would fly away. Not much stuck around but the wind was terrible!

On the 31st we wheeled in the snow and due to ice, snow and sand I had to bump it! The video never does justice but it was an under cut ledge in soft sand with no traction on either end. Only 2 of us made the ledge and my buddy was honking the horn for excitement.

Later that day I aired up and drove 400+ miles back to so cal. Then on the 1st I drove back up to Sacramento. It was cool to bump and wheel speed an obstacle like that in the morning and drive 400 miles later that day. The anti wrap bar works!!!

Just over 1,700 miles round trip between nor cal, so cal, sand hollow and driving around town. a few miles from home my motor started sounding like SHIT! Like a bad rod bearing but it had oil and oil pressure. It is an AFM motor but the AFM is disabled. Time for tear down before KOH

Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM   #394 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Man you get out a lot in that truck, so awesome! Nice upgrades in the last few months, Chris!

Sand Hollow in the snow looks wicked, the traction there was so good it made some crazy climbs possible so I'm sure it'd be much more... interesting... in the snow.
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #395 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Time for an update! It took a while to get another one because time was limited. I was home for 6 days in January due to craziness with work and travel and had to figure out my motor issue.

So even though I had just pulled my motor to do motor mount reinforcement I was hear doing this again

First I pulled the pan and the rod bearings were fine. It was somewhere else even though it sounded like rod knock. Every one talks so highly of these LS motors but my 5.3 that I plucked out of a vehicle with 34k miles on it broke after I put another 20-22k on it! WHAT THE FUCK! I say Ecoboost for the win

Anyways knowing I didn't have time to rebuild the motor, mess with machine shops or have the know how I just drove to so cal and back in a day and dropped it off at my buddy's. I was gone for 9 days and got a text with this picture.

Chipped piston!!!

I needed to have it rebuilt, or get another motor. Since I did it "right" the first time with a low mileage 5.3 that was healthy, had no CEL's and stock I decided to go based on price and size of motor. I wanted price because how many damn times have I heard, "my buddy bought a 6.0 with 180k, threw 18 lbs of boost at it and beat on it for 5 years with no issues." Give me the sludgiest POS you can find then, maybe that will work better!! It did help that I got stuck in an airport for over 13 hours and received a $650 amex gift card from Delta because of it. So I ordered the cheapest 6.2 on ebay with 145k miles on it.

I needed some parts off my old motor so another day trip from norcal to so cal and back. then used my original 5.3 harness (wire lengths are already correct and fit nice) and swapped plucked 2 long wires from the 6.2 harness for VVT.

I wanted VVT so I can get good low end torque. I then finished the swap with less then 16 hours to spare, and gingerly drove to the tuner since it ran like crap with a 5.3 tune.

Got it tuned, went home, packed the hummer and left for my parents house for so cal the next morning...but not before I added my important sticker..

LS fragile POS

Drove 350 miles after literally putting 12 miles on the thing, no real issues and I must say the added low end grunt was welcomed with the 6.2! I like to drive fast on the highway, at 80+ mph the 5.3 would only be in OD, with the TC locked on flat ground. Now it didn't seem to care...80+ it had the TC locked in OD up until the grapevine (steep grade)

Made it to my parents house!

Saturday I took off to Simi Valley to my buddy's house because I forgot the oil pan when I picked up the rest of the stuff. on road the existing pan was fine but off road at full compression it would hit so we swapped an oil pan in the pouring rain.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #396 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
I forgot to mention while I had the motor out I added a suck down winch and ran a pulley off the axle.

Saturday night we were off to KOH!

We made it, got settled in....then sunday we were off to tech with my buddy who was racing.

While he had passed everything from a structural standpoint we had a little list of stupid crap like locking dipsticks, secondary door latches, etc. so we rushed back to camp and checked off each item.

Monday morning we headed back to tech and he got his car tagged and ready to race!!

Then we all took off and we ran 100 dirt miles with about 70 of it being the race course. We had the hummer and a few other rigs and we had someone taking course notes every 1/4 mile or so. Since were rock crawlers and know the hammer trails he felt our time was best spent in the desert. The hummer did awesome! The added uptravel, accutune tuned shocks, air bumps and all kicked ass. The rear was now the limiting factor, where as the front was before. So I will do the rear soon. Only complaint was I switched from full doors to half doors and froze my ass off.

Day 2 of prerunning we got to main pit and knocked off the first 92 miles of the race course and took more notes while the driver and co driver were off at contingency. I broke a CV driveline, the damn pin failed.

I may have over drooped it now with the t case clocked but anyways we found parts and got it fixed in Yucca Valley. We cruised over in my buddy's Comanche.

Of course my spare I carried for YEARS was too short as I made changes over the years and I didn't lengthen or shorten it so shout out to all state driveline in Yucca Valley!
Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #397 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
We made it back in time for the racer's meeting.

Time for bed and an early start to the morning....

So my buddy took off at 8:22AM and for being in a 4.0L TJ with a full dash and body in the 4500 class he was hauling the mail! He made it to main pit (92 miles) where I was at with no real issues by 11:45.

We then took off to pit 2A/B. Since he made it through the desert we were stoked because we have run all the rock trails multiple times and know them well! As we were driving to Pit 2A/B we saw 2 guys walking and sure enough it was them, they made it to mile 109 or so on boulderdash when his drag link sheered in half. They walked to the pit found a guy to weld it and went off again. What sucks is that he has had that drag link for years and never had an issue.

Here's a picture of his jeep on the shirt...had to add a pic because I am typing too much.

They went a little ways and the drag link sheered past the weld and lost all strength at that point. They were out, we found them off the course and drove them to ruffstuff to get a draglink made so they can get the jeep off the course since they were in the way.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:58 PM   #398 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Thursday we re-cooped and had some fun....

and Friday it was back to work. I was an anchor for the top of backdoor.

It was fun but tiring, I will be honest, it was scary watching the hummer getting winched off of at times, most of the time it was fine but when I had multiple vehicles winching off of me at the same time I was worried...but no bumpers ripped off or frame cracks so that's a plus

Afterwords, I helped two broken U4 cars up the sandhill and then got to camp very tired. It was cool to winch all the big names up backdoor though, Campbell, Wayes, Gomez, Gittin Jr., rolled Herschel back over...all racers were cool but one towards the end of the day, my gut feeling was a total rich snob who's probably never wheeled as he yelled at us and his co driver for not rolling him over quick enough and asked for "spectator assistance" to speed up the process
Old 02-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #399 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
On Thursday we also ran turkey claw and off your rocker or blueberry, not sure which one. Saturday we wheeled wrecking ball. That was a shit show, I broke my driveshaft again! Different part and I have a feeling all of it was wasted but they only repaired the one piece.

Then my buddy broke an axle shaft, another buddy a drag link, my brother ripped a ball joint off his SD60 but we all got off the trail, packed up and drove 130 miles back to my parents house.

This was well after midnight, my fiancť and I (center) were on the lake bed for 8 days and I needed a shower bad!!! Next year RV rental will probably happen. I love camping and have always done it for KOH but I usually was out for 3-4 days not 8! I got one shower during the trip and needed many more! My brother wasn't as bad since he was out for 3 or 4.

The following morning we drove 350 miles back to Sacramento. Squeaky drove to KOH, preran a ton of miles, winched cars up backdoor, ran rock trails, pulled out stuck motorhomes, and drove back home. I couldn't ask it to do anything else. the 6.2 is a badass motor but I am still and probably will continue to be butthurt about LS's and everyone who loves them for a while.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #400 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan90FSB View Post
Man you get out a lot in that truck, so awesome! Nice upgrades in the last few months, Chris!

Sand Hollow in the snow looks wicked, the traction there was so good it made some crazy climbs possible so I'm sure it'd be much more... interesting... in the snow.
Thanks! I try to get out as much as possible. I just did my KOH report and now need a little break, the wrenching and work on that trip was intense with prerunning and helping a race team.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in