H3 SAS (first detailed thread?) - Page 17 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #401 (permalink)

Member # 49281
I was sitting above the camera man at Backdoor, I can ALMOST see myself in your pic... I was there with that orange rig at the bottom.

Very cool build, I just burned through all of it.
I thought for sure the front end was coming off of your H3 when there were multiple cars winching on it.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #402 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
I was sitting above the camera man at Backdoor, I can ALMOST see myself in your pic... I was there with that orange rig at the bottom.

Very cool build, I just burned through all of it.
I thought for sure the front end was coming off of your H3 when there were multiple cars winching on it.
Thank you, I appreciate it! Iím sure we werenít the only ones concerned of that.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 03:42 PM   #403 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
At this point my leafs I put in without a add a leaf is just too soft. Ride height is good/the same because the u bolt eliminator perches are taller. Curious if I could pull the 2nd leaf and add a cut down main leaf from my spare leaf packs, keep similar ride height but add rate. My fear is adding a cut down main leaf or add a leaf will add too much height

Old 03-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #404 (permalink)

Member # 120478
Just caught up on the latest, looking good as always, Chris!
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #405 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Bump!

After koh my new fox 2.0s definitely felt faded after 1 trip 100 miles of desert prerunning probably wasnít good for my heavy rig and a 2.0 so Iím at a crossroads.

Iím a coilover hater because 90% of the people donít need them and think they need them (damn Instagram...Ējust do tons and COísĒ) but packaging is so nice! My coil buckets have bent a little bit with the air bump inside the coil after one trip. I canít fit them anywhere else, so if I go with coilovers packaging is easier, I can get a longer track bar in there as well but going 2.5s would solve the desert prerunning issue and destroying my 2.0s

Whatís pirate think?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #406 (permalink)

Member # 859054
Use ORI struts @ oristruts.com
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #407 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 260337
I say coilovers. I was torn between coilovers and the ORI struts but the cost and the weight limitations of the struts are what turned me away from them since I'm working on a full body and very heavy build.

packaging and tune ability are the major benefits over a coil and a shock. however, I think you could get good results from a larger body shock even if you keep your coils. look at all the diesel trucks running thuren fabrication and Carli tuned systems. It really boils down to how much work your willing to do and how much money your willing to spend.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:56 AM   #408 (permalink)

Member # 859054
I think it would be fine as long as the truck is 2700ish pounds on the front axle, of if more the piggyback strut is made for heavier vehicles as far as I can tell. But I could be wrong. Of course I don't know the weight of the truck currently
Lugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #409 (permalink)

Member # 220731
Man this has really gone threw different stages of the build. I have not been on any forums in a long time. Can't believe all the places you have taken this. Cool build.
jakesz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #410 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesz28 View Post
Man this has really gone threw different stages of the build. I have not been on any forums in a long time. Can't believe all the places you have taken this. Cool build.
Thanks, it sure has!

Its time to bump this again. Since Hammers I got the shocks revalved. I went way stiffer on the rear and a little bit stiffer on the front. I am just about ready to give that setup a goodbye and throw coilovers on it and be done. I will get into that later.

First I went to Prairie city for the U4 Metalcloak race. I live 15-20 min from there now so a few buddy's came out along with my buddy racing, hung out at my house then cruised over for the race. Hummer didn't get much action other then climbing some concrete thing but it was fun watching the races!

After that I got some chevy 63's and cut them down and used them as an add a leaf between the main and 2nd leaf. I am thrilled with the handling but not as thrilled with the additional ride height. The 63 main leaf cut down is quite a bit thicker and longer then the 2nd leaf on the H3 pack. I am curious if I ditch the 2nd leaf and keep the 63 how much the stiffness will change and drop the ride height. I am not sure but I am consider experimenting with it. Ideally it would be lower ride height no stiffness change. It went up about an inch.

After getting the shocks and add a leaf done I started a beautification process on squeaky. The bumpers needed some spray paint to be touched up and look all pretty again as well as cutting down the factory plastic rocker panel pieces to give it that factory look again.

Much prettier.

After that I drove it 472 miles to Hammers, beat the shit out of it, almost rolled it and drove it 472 miles home! Exactly what I built it for.

Next time I wash the hummer with full doors I need to remember wash the half doors too....lol

Ran Chocolate thunder Friday night, then Sledge and Full of hate Saturday then Turkeyclaw and blueberry Sunday morning.

It was me, and 4 first gen Toyotas and 1 unicorn 4runner with the factory solid axle and EFI. All had the typical stuff. 37s, dual cases, lockers, trailered, 1 had sticky tires, etc.

Sledgehammer carnage was a driveshaft on one of the Toyotas which was repairable. I didn't get the plaque and had to winch up it Out of the 6 rigs 3 made it 3 winched.

After that we get back to camp and one of the 1st gen's had something feeling weird, stripped almost all hub studs and 2 knuckle studs. So we repaired that at camp.

Then one 1st gen and I ran full of hate at night!! It was gnarly. Most of it was ok, we had to bypass the squeeze (First gen could barely fit) and the last 100 yards is a straight winch fest with the waterfall being so damn steep.

Funny meme of the Hummer....

Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #411 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Then we ran turkey claw and off to blueberry. Blueberry was a non issue except the optional waterfall. Last time the 1st gen on stickies hit the line we ended up in a hour long shit show winch fest that took 3 winches, snatch blocks and a hi lift all working simultaneously. This time I was the idiot to try.

YEAH....that went well.... I had the line according to the guys but my back tire slipped and I thought my cage would get used. They said if I had sticky tires I wouldn't have slipped but I don't trailer so no stickies for me. Anyways I aired up an hour after that incident and drove 472 miles home.

What's next?

Got a premier power welder. Gotta install that. I got a smoking UA hook up on it. York compressor because I want something fast and that doesn't run out.

Then NP205 doubler and coilovers (I think)

I think I am at the point for coilovers. Its not because the coil springs don't perform. Its because having air bumps in the coil worries me about ruining the coil buckets from the load. Also having air bumpers in the coil had made working on it and tearing it apart a much bigger pain in the ass. I like serviceability. We will see....Ditching coil buckets and coil springs can get me a longer track bar as well as better stability due to coilover positioning and I can lower my roll axis angle by triangulating my lower links more. The rig obviously works as is. I have put over 40,000 miles on the SAS and drive 80-85 mph frequently in it but I want to see how much I can improve it. The coilovers aren't for better ride or tunability it just gives me more space to enhance other things.

I am moving again for work so squeaky will have another 400 miles drive or so to the new place then the wrenching can begin.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #412 (permalink)

Member # 120478
That last pic is awesome.

Another vote for coilovers. As you've said... packaging is easier, (almost) infinite tune-ability, and so on.

You actually use the truck so there shouldn't be any concern around having done it because its "cool"
Dan90FSB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in