H3 SAS (first detailed thread?) - Page 19 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Hummer
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #451 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Day 5: was about trying to get as much rest as we could even though we couldn't. We spent the morning tracking down parts to replace the broken stub shaft on the 4runner. We did that at the BFG garage tent.

Then my other buddy went to run wrecking ball and took our a rear driveshaft, he came back to camp and by looking at the failure he was overextending his rear driveline. So off to hammertown to buy limit straps and then to the BFG tent to weld on tabs so do limit straps to stop over extending the driveline.

We then installed my buddy's front locker in the Toyota and I changed the PS pump since why not do another repair.

We tried to get to bed early since we had another long day doing recovery the next day.

Day 6 Friday: The EMC race, we split our groups into 2 so we can do half day shifts, 7:30AM to 2ish then 2 to 10pm-ish. I took the 2nd shift to try and get some sleep since I spent all day doing repairs, the day before doing recovery and the day before that more repairs! I showed up in time for the new first time KOH winner to be just a mile or two from the finish when he rolled over at backdoor! We hustled and got him recovered and he ended up winning KOH 2020!

Day 7: A wheeling day! We got a late start to the morning but went wheeling at Aftershock.

We wanted to do Hwy 19/20 too but with 8 rigs and some more repairs we only ran aftershock.

(another video, click the image) 500 ft into the trail the 4runner snaps his track bar bracket off the axle. So out comes the on board premier power welder again

Climbing big rocks...

The hummer was acting like it wasn't in low range, I thought it was the TC going bad...I will get more on that later.

We continue on the trail and get to the last waterfall and my buddy smacks his slip yoke portion on the driveshaft and snaps it in two. Out comes the welder again....It did get him off the trail! The last waterfall was fun! We get back to camp and enjoy dinner and the campfire.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #452 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Day 8: We end up running jackhammer. I did install a RADesigns rail shifter before I left and thought maybe my issue was coming from that. I spent the morning going back to stock wiring for the trans. It didn't fix it.

We end up running jackhammer regardless and the Hummer did great, I didn't pull cable and did really well.

Here I am at the plaque

At the mailbox after the trail....so many Toyotas!

After a fun day on the trail we go back to camp and I mess with the shifters and trans and realize I had a bent shifter and manually shifting it by hand wasn't getting in low range. I ran all of jackhammer AND aftershock in 1.96:1. That explains why I overheated the shit out of my trans!

It was fun and taught me about momentum so it all worked out...

I pack up and sleep in my buddy's 5th wheel so I can start the hummer and hit the road early.

Day 9: At 5 am I go to start the hummer, dead battery. Jump it...alternator is charging at 18v! I run to orielly in my buddy's tow rig and get there 10 min before they open, they let me in and I grab an alternator and a battery in case a dead cell is causing the issue. Sure enough the alt. fixed it. I changed it in 15 min since I was rushing and didn't get the belt on all the way and tore it a tad. DAMN IT!! I throw on the spare and find out its in worse shape. I leave the lakebed and 20 miles down the road it throws the belt....I pull over, winch myself off the road and go back to the slightly torn one. Thankfully a fellow off roader came by and helped!

So after changing it I go to the local Hwy 247 ACE hardware store that posts here every year for KOH. They had a bolt I needed for my brake caliper which was great! I hit the road and stop in Barstow to get new belts and do a fluid check. I hit the road and realize I lost my wallet! I felt I would NEVER make it out of town!!! I go back 10 miles before finding it hidden in the car.

So I turn back around and stop for lunch on the 395 since I didn't have dinner the night before or ate all day due to the crap going on.

I trek on and after 850 miles I make it home under my own power at 2:10AM Tuesday morning!!!!!

Home safe and sound.

What a week, it was a fun week! Lots of work and I am more tired then when I showed up. Between our group...

track bar bracket
bumper
rear R&P
front locker
alternator
front stub shaft
power steering pump
2 rear driveshafts
1 front driveshaft
75ish plus recoveries at backdoor.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 07:38 AM   #453 (permalink)

Member # 83301
^^^^that's am impressive week of ironman ethic....Well done, sounds like memories made.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #454 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 H3 View Post
I also forgot to mention I installed some lap belts on the lakebed! I wanted to for years. I was sick and tired of the factory belts locking up on me on the trail. I mounted them off the factory seat bolt holes. I will use them off road and the factory belts on road.

[/img]
Stealing this idea. I hate when my factory belts lock up on me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
^^^^that's am impressive week of ironman ethic....Well done, sounds like memories made.
^Absolutely. Sounds like a week of hell, but it also sounds like you wouldn't have traded it for anything. What an adventure. Hopefully next year your buddy's 4runner is shaken down a bit better and you can spend more time wheeling rather than fixing

Also, great write up. I can't even imagine all the cool stuff that was left out. It was awesome seeing you on the live feed flipping over people on the trail.

Also good to hear that you had no issues with the 205 fix and the doubler worked great despite the shifter woes.

Shortened 17" w/Bed, AAM 14B FF / Grizzly, Dana 60 HP / Chromos, Anti-Wrap Bar
4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist

Last edited by DMANbluesfreak; 02-18-2020 at 07:39 AM.
DMANbluesfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #455 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMANbluesfreak View Post
Stealing this idea. I hate when my factory belts lock up on me, too.

^Absolutely. Sounds like a week of hell, but it also sounds like you wouldn't have traded it for anything. What an adventure. Hopefully next year your buddy's 4runner is shaken down a bit better and you can spend more time wheeling rather than fixing

Also, great write up. I can't even imagine all the cool stuff that was left out. It was awesome seeing you on the live feed flipping over people on the trail.

Also good to hear that you had no issues with the 205 fix and the doubler worked great despite the shifter woes.
You will love the seat belts! It's so nice to not worry about death as your on a steep off camber incline, needing to get out or being locked in so you cant see out the damn window. For $50 on a PRP deal on the lakebed it is one of my favorite non drivetrain mod's which is stupid but something so simple makes it so much better.

I am ready to get some work done and get back to it! My tire has some camber, I am curious if I broke a spring, bearing or plastic race in the kingpin.

My goal is to be able to go to on an Idaho off road run 3/28.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #456 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
I currently use the shoulder belt and wrap the shoulder belt behind me so only the lap belt is across me, but it's definitely not as secure as what you're showing here and it's a lot more annoying to clip in and out.

Not wanting to go to springless kingpin arms?

4L80e, EcoBox/205 Doubler, 40" Mickey's, Rock Sliders, Hidden Winch, Hydro Assist
Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM   #457 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
I am open to it. I am curious if a fucked up spring or cracked plastic bushing would cause the camber. I would assume so.

I did the same thing with the factory belt. I am not sure if your's did this but mine always would lock up when I took it off. If I got out on an incline to go spot someone it wouldn't go loosen up to put it back on until I got on more level ground. Kind of annoying lol
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM   #458 (permalink)
E-Locker or Bust!

Member # 163019
Yep, that's the main annoyance with mine!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in