Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 10 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #226 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 27754
WOW!!!

Love the International build, looks good!!!

Why Not (Chris)

Authorized Dealer
RCV Axle Shafts
Yukon Gear And Axle
FK Rod Ends
S & B Filters
Power Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="blue">Facebook "Why Not Customs"
whynotcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #227 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukguy View Post
News?
I wish I had some updates to post, since I moved things have been a little hectic with the transition. Hopefully within a couple of more months I can devote some time and energy to the Scout and get it up and running, it's so close...any volunteers to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahlstrom1 View Post
Very badass build.... Only thing I can add is with all the effort/time/$$$ spent everywhere else, I'd ditch the 370 marine injectors (wrong spray angle) for a good set of 5x.12s or 5x.14s.... Just my $.02
I agree, I was originally planning on getting a set of SDX (Southern Diesel Extreme) 5 x 0.12 injectors. I tried calling them a number of times and didn't have any luck getting a hold of them, I had also heard their lead times were around six weeks or more at the time. The 370's fit my time frame so I ordered a set, figured I'll run them for awhile and swap them out if it runs to rough, hot, etc. I also used the thin copper sealing washers which supposedly reduce the spray angle from 155 degrees to roughly 152 so it's a little closer to that 145 degree angle. I was considering having a couple of thousandths machined off the injector seat to gain a few degrees there as well by getting the injectors a little deeper into the cylinder but I ended up just throwing them in.

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 10-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #228 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Looking good!

How are you planning on controlling the VGT?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #229 (permalink)

Member # 128958
thats spectacular! awesome work
tranzfr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #230 (permalink)

Member # 41201
can you make me a steering ram mount
zacn64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #231 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Looking good!

How are you planning on controlling the VGT?
I started designing an all mechanical control system to run off boost and/or drive pressures, it isn't complete yet, in fact I haven't touched that in quite awhile. More to come on that in the future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn64 View Post
can you make me a steering ram mount
Sent you an email, thanks for the interest.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #232 (permalink)

Member # 230026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Falken View Post
I had previously seen this picture of a guy who had broken a steering knuckle on a Rockwell axle running big tires with hydraulic steering. I was going to run a PSC DE Hydraulic Ram, and since I was doing some work on the knuckles I figured I would avoid any potential problems here.

I designed a low clearance plate to box the Rockwell knuckle in, sitting flush with the knuckle. I also ran a gusset all the way around the knuckle.

Here is a pic of the broken knuckle I saw, and my knuckles after Tony boxed them up and burned the gussets in using Super Missile Rod on the stick welder.

Still reading the thread but i got to these pics and had to stop and comment. Thats BAD ASS.

I love IH stuff and a scout was my first choice to build as a crawler. But then the jeep i have fell into my lap so the scout will be the next project once the jeep is done.

Last edited by rockgp; 10-31-2012 at 12:26 AM.
rockgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #233 (permalink)

Member # 230026
finished reading and staring.. and im just....

This is easily my new fav scout. Be nice to see it finished and enter in TTC. prob smoke everyone.
rockgp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #234 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 171332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgp View Post
finished reading and staring.. and im just....

This is easily my new fav scout. Be nice to see it finished and enter in TTC. prob smoke everyone.
Same here. Scribin for future updates

The never-ending project

An old Explorer with a lot of dents
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #235 (permalink)

Member # 50955
Wow those welds look nice for stick. I might have to give that missile rod a try.
472Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #236 (permalink)

Member # 138794
Just read through all this, Awesome Job!

Quote:
I started designing an all mechanical control system to run off boost and/or drive pressures, it isn't complete yet, in fact I haven't touched that in quite awhile. More to come on that in the future though.
I'm also looking forward to this.
250Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #237 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Alright time for an update...

Back before I had decided on a Cummins for this build I had originally bought a "K-Case" Th400 and Np203. I was planning on running an Np203/205 doubler setup and wanted to keep with the doubler when I bought the Cummins. So I decided it would be best to keep the Th400 and build it up so I could run the doubler parts I already had.

Here is the Th400 and Np203 with the adapter when I bought them, I scored this combo on Craigslist for $195.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 12-27-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #238 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Since I was going to have the Th400 rebuilt with HD components I figured I would replace the helical cut planetaries with a set of straight cut planetaries out of a Th475.

The Th475 is a variant of the Th400 that was used in High GVWR/Medium Duty applications such as dump trucks and busses. The difference is that the Th475 uses straight cut planetaries, these gears remove a component of force that thrust loads the Torrington bearing eliminating potential for bearing failure.

The Th475's are almost indistinguishable on the outside from the Th400 with the exception that most Th475's used a drum style parking brake that was mounted at the rear of the transmission, a Th475 is pictured below for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 12-27-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #239 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I was trying to find a Th475 to pull a gear set from and happened across a straight cut Th475 planetary gear set for sale here on the board, so I bought them. Here are a couple of pics of the Th475 planetaries.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #240 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Next I had the Th400 professionally rebuilt with a billet input shaft, Th475 straight-cut planetaries, Kolene HD steels, Raybestos Blue clutches, modified valve body, bread van deep sump Aluminum pan, and an Allison 13" DIA torque converter with HD brazed internals. I am going to run a tranny cooler with electric fan and Art Carr gated shifter with this setup.

Pictured below is the now Th475 after the rebuild.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #241 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Next I pulled apart the Np203 and separated the range box, this range box uses the 32 spline input. I decided to run a Ford Np205 since they all use a 31 spline big bearing input and 32 spline outputs. I went to the junk yard and found a Ford Np205, pulled it out brought it home and tore it apart. Here's a pic of the Np205 tore down.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 12-27-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #242 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I bought kits to re-seal the Np203 and the Np205. I also bought modified shift rails for the Np205 so I can run a triple-stick shifter and do RWD-Low and FWD, etc. I rebuilt them using these parts and added 1410 yokes to the Np205.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #243 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Yokes: 1310 vs. 1350 vs. 1410...1410 FTW!
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #244 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I decided to make my own doubler adapter. I modeled up the bolt patterns of the Np203 and the Np205 in Solidworks and laser cut them from 0.375" steel. I also got a big piece of 0.375" wall DOM tubing to connect the two adapter plates. The intermediate shaft is a billet shaft from ORD. This adapter still has to be welded, machined, etc. I am also going to install oil level sight tubes in both the Np203 and the Np205. More to come on this project in the future.

Next on the list is completing the VGT control system, the doubler adapter and getting the Th475/Np203/205 combo installed. Then it's time to run some drivelines, brake lines, exhaust and electrical.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 12-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #245 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
At this point I think I am going to buy a triple-stick shifter. Any recommendations...ORD, NWF, etc?

I like the mechanical linkage design of the ORD shifter...don't have to worry about cable failure, but with the drivetrain I'm not sure where the shifters would end up. Maybe I'll have to get the Th475/Np203/205 installed and go from there.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #246 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Sweet tech on the 400/475 gears. Good to see some more progress
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #247 (permalink)

Member # 21960
Send a message via AIM to Yankneck696
There's a thread about air shifting the same TC setup you have on the General forum. It'd allow you to fab more stuff.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #248 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankneck696 View Post
There's a thread about air shifting the same TC setup you have on the General forum. It'd allow you to fab more stuff.
Thanks for the recommendation, I just found the thread, I will definitely read through it. If I remember correctly the transfer cases in the M35A2 Deuce and a Half's were air shifted, that's the only application I can recall off hand that used pneumatic TC shifters, it wouldn't surprise me if there were other OEM/military offerings that used pneumatic setups as well (I could see some pros and cons to this type of system).

A quick Google search didn't produce any Doubler Pneumatic Shifter vendor offerings...I wouldn't mind designing and developing a trick pneumatic setup. I would assume it would be a more expensive option though if electro-pneumatic solenoid(s) and switches were used, would need quite a few components (solenoid block(s), switches, pneumatic rams, air lines, mounting brackets, linkages and joints, etc.)

Any IH guys have any first-hand experience with pneumatic TC shifters?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #249 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11448
Send a message via Yahoo to MNorby
Not sure on the air shift stuff but when I built my doubler I built my own mechanical shifter setup with scrap metal and just some 3/8 heims for next to nothing. I wouldn't spend the $300 or more on set, I'm more than sure you can whip out a sexy set.

MNorby is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #250 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Just read the whole thread.......thats gunna be one bad Scout when its done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in