Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 18 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #426 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I first tried a flexible hose on the upper radiator hose but the bend angle was too tight at the radiator inlet. Next I did some digging on Gates website and found the 22268, it's a 1.75" ID hose with two 90's on it. The length was about just right to cut a 90 off and make it work. The radiator inlet is 1.5" OD so I also bought the Gates 26391, its a 1.75" to 1.5" adapter...worked great.

Same story with the lower radiator hose, bend angle was too tight for a flexible hose. Back to Gates website...after quite a bit of digging (2.25" ID hoses are limited) I found the 22774 which looked usable after some cutting. Ordered one of those as well...

3rd pic show the upper hose installed.
Attached Images

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #427 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
My Cummins had the coolant temp sender installed in an NPT port above the thermostat, I preferred not to have a wire running across the top of the engine going to the sensor...not as clean.

I found a 3/4" NPT port at the drivers side rear of the block that would work well, however, the Autometer sender is 1/8" NPT. Went back to the Parker store and found that there isn't an adapter fitting to reduce from 3/4" to 1/8" NPT. They had 3/4" to 3/8" and 3/8" to 1/8" reducers, that was the best option, but it certainly wan't very clean.

So after a little drilling I slipped the 3/8" to 1/8" reducer into the 3/4" and welded them together...much cleaner.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 07:59 PM   #428 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Next I needed a coolant overflow bottle. Found a nice bottle from Canton Racing that fit the bill so I got it on order. Once again I used 1/4"-20 weld nuts to mount it to the driver's side inner fender...more pics to come on this.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #429 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Next problem I started digging into was the alternator. The factory alternators that Dodge used on the Cummins were controlled by a computer based external voltage regulator, obviously I didn't want to mess with regulating the alternator with these Dodge parts and with a winch and future lighting upgrades I needed a high output alternator.

I reached out to Mechman regarding their 250 amp S-Series alternator for the Dodge Cummins...but asked if they could make me a custom 1-wire/self-exciting version.

They ended up making a custom 1-wire version for me and after some discussion were able to provide the right DIA 8-groove pulley to still give good output at idle. I didn't want to try to find a slightly shorter serpentine belt, the pulley we ended up going with is slightly smaller diameter than the Dodge pulley but wasn't enough to necessitate a belt change.

Here are some pics. It was tested putting out 121 amps at 800 RPM idle and 250 amps at 1,800 RPM.

4th pic is comparing the Dodge unit to the Mechman. Overall all of the Mechman reviews I read seemed very good, hopefully its a great alternator. The quality appears to be very good and just the difference in the windings are substantial.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 03-06-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:19 PM   #430 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Couple pics installed...
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #431 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Love the solid works stuff! The whole build is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, much appreciated! It's been a lengthy project, it's fought me every step of the way, I guess that's just how it goes when everything is custom and nothing is made to go together the way you want it to

Last edited by Blak Falken; 03-06-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #432 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
That alternator sounds fantastic. I did a lot of research on them before I got a Ford 3G. It works well, but not that good. It's only 130 amps. It does make lots of power at idle. I have the same alt on my DD and project. I'm planning to run 4 e-fans, so I may upgrade to yours.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #433 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
awesome updates. i've read every page of this thread, this build is one of the most impressive i've kept up on

have to laugh at the comment that you didn't want to hunt down a slightly shorter serp belt. you must be burnt out from hunting the rad hoses
Old 03-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #434 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
Based on the progress , we'll be seeing this BEAST on the trail this summer?

Simply outstanding work!
Old 03-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #435 (permalink)

Member # 28526
I like what you're doing here.
Dalton Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #436 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimingman View Post
Based on the progress , we'll be seeing this BEAST on the trail this summer?

Simply outstanding work!
GREAT work, but Over 7 YEARS!!! Damn! How does anyone have that patience?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #437 (permalink)

Member # 22681
Awesome work, but I want to see it on the trails. It's close. I've had a build going for several years now as well, but I have to do it in phases, and take time off in-between phases to drive it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in