Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Alright, one more for tonight...I'll try to get some more pictures up tomorrow or this weekend.

Here is one of Tony burning in the diff cover on the front Rockwell with the stick welder. Some of the old oil and grease in the housing started flashing off making a little bit of smoke.
Attached Images

Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 188249
Subscribed. Gotta love a Scout with a Cummins in it.
southofantarctica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Around this time I ordered up 0.375" Rockwell u-bolt spring plates and Rockwell u-bolts from Ruff Stuff, I also ordered 0.375" Rockwell spring perches (fully boxed, with drainage ports at the bottom) from Ballistic. I was very pleased with the quality of all of these items.

Here is what they looked like when I got them:
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I decided to start working on the rear axle swap first. Since I had the leaf springs ready to go, and the Rockwells were coming along I need to design and fab up some spring hangers.

My goal on the swap was to squeeze the 46" Claws in with some pretty major fender trimming, all while keeping a fairly low stance. Because the Chevy 63" springs have very little arch I needed to create my lift in the spring hangers all the while not creating rock anchors; the spring hangers would need to be fairly seamless to allow them to not get hung up on rocks.

First I needed to determine if I was going to inboard the springs or keep them to outboarded. Since I was going to run the Rockwells with the hubs flipped out giving a WMS of about 79.5," I decided that with such a large lever arm that I wouldn't loose much flex or affect stability by keeping the springs outboarded...this made the design slightly more complicated. I started brainstorming some design options.

Around this time I had a semester project in a Solidworks course that I figured I could meet the criteria of by modeling the frame of the Scout, a Rockwell axle, and the Chevy springs while using these models to drive the design of the spring hangers...killing two birds with one stone sounded like a good idea. So I ended up designing the spring hangers in Solidworks and I used the DXF's to create exact parts on a laser cutter.

Here is a Solidworks animation showing a collapse and assembly of the individual pieces that comprise the rear spring hangers:

International Scout II Rear Axle Swap Assembly.avi - YouTube
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
The spring hangers were manufactured from 0.250" steel, fully boxed...bulletproof. I used 3.0" Ballistic Joints in the shackle mounts to allow some of the torsional forces to be relieved from the main-spring during articulation. I had the shackles cut from 0.500" steel...because I could.

I didn't get any pics of the spring hangers post removal from the laser, or any pics of them being formed and welded up. So below are a few renderings to help paint the picture.

Here are the pieces for the fixed spring mounts:
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here are the pieces for the shackle hangers, with a 3.0" Ballistic Joint, and the shackle:
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #32 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here are a couple of renderings of the axle swap, one is an exploded view showing the components and the other is an assembled view:
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-27-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Damn dude. I've never seen anybody trying to get extra credit on a build thread. Nice work.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
While we were working on getting the spring hangers formed and welded up, I reinstalled both wheel hub/rotor assemblies on the rear Rockwell spindles, wheel bearings and all. I had just gotten my caliper mounts back from the laser cutter, which were also designed in Solidworks. I used the rotors with the calipers bolted to the mounts to determine alignment and position of the mounts.

Here are a couple of shots of the F-550 caliper mounts for the rear Rockwell after they had been welded on:
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Next, I tacked the spring hangers on the frame, and the spring perches on the rear Rockwell where I thought I wanted them. I installed the rear leaf springs, and put the rear axle under the Scout and bolted it in. Then I put the weight of the Scout down on the leaf springs and checked the shackle angle. It was right on and everything was square, so Tony burned them in with the stick welder.

I also decided to run fishplates over select portions of the rear frame to add some strength, I modeled them up in Solidworks and had them laser cut out of 10 gauge.

Here are a couple of pics of the fishplates getting welded in:
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 181988
I dig it man! Subscribed.
richyrich307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 84074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
ohh my, do you really think we care about what you sold?
What a dick!

Nice write up man!
Angler1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
This is after all the welding on the spring hangers and the fish plates was done. I put everything in primer, and was just about to shoot it with a few coats of black.

As a side note: Some of you may notice the body lift, I installed it to give room to work on the frame...as soon as the welding on the frame was done the body lift came off.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #40 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I was worried about potential axle wrap/wheel hop due to the extra leverage created by the raised driveshaft input on the Rockwells (top loaders) and the torque from the Cummins. So I decided to make some anti-wrap bars. Since I was running Ballistic heim joints on the shackle mounts of the rear spring hangers I started thinking about a triangulated upper link setup that would keep the axle centered during articulation while allowing the shackles to rotate at the joints and reduce torsional forces on the main leafs. I also figured I could get some anti-squat out of the links to create downward force during acceleration, improving traction. So the link mounts at the axle sit slightly higher than the link mounts on the frame.

The link mounting plate for the Rockwell axle I got from Ballistic, not realizing that I couldn't mount the links tabs centered on the axle. As can be seen in the pictures I made a plate with the bolt pattern of the inspection cover which was welded over the Ballistic mount. With the addition of this plate I could place the link tabs on center. As can be seen I had to use a couple of double ended studs due to the close proximity of the link tabs, where I could no longer fit bolts in. The links are 2.00" OD, 0.250" wall DOM and have 3.0" Ballistic joints at the axle end and Ballistic forged bushings on the frame end.

This should work in theory...the only downside is that the axle will not move much (front to back) as the leafs increase in length in compression and decrease in length while in tension. This means that the leaf springs must be very soft...I may end up pulling leafs out of the spring packs but that will be determined on the shakedown run. Because the links are centered and mounted above the axle their range of motion during articulation should be relatively small, mostly rotating about the center.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-30-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #41 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I had been considering options on wheels for the Rockwells...there aren't that many. I ultimately decided on Stazworks, but I wanted a custom "one-off" wheel to match the rest of custom laser cut parts on the Scout. So I sketched a few ideas out on paper and got started on Solidworks.

Here is what I came up with, I designed the wheel centers and the rock rings. They were modeled up the exact dimensions required for manufacturing so once they were done I sent the DXF's out to John at Stazworks.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #42 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here is part of a Finite Element Analysis I did on the wheel centers checking for areas of high stress concentration:

Custom Designed Rockwell Wheel Centers.avi - YouTube
Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I got the wheels in 20" diameter to fit the Claws and I went with a 14" width. After talking to John I decided to go with 7.00" of backspacing.

Here are the wheels on the pallet the day they shipped. I was very pleased with the quality of these wheels, the manufacturing, fit, finish, etc. was top notch...and John was a great guy to work with, I have nothing but good stuff to say about Stazworks.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #44 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Getting ready to mount some tires...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #45 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
HDPE rings going in, and tires going on...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Tires mounted...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #47 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Rear section of the frame painted, with tires and wheels installed...
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
A couple more...

The fenders aren't cut out yet in these pics, and the body lift is still on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 01-29-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 AM   #49 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Blak- Looking good, obviously a lot of planning (solid works models out the ass!) involved. I'll be interested on how those leaf springs handle the axle wrap even with the traction bar(s). You are half way to building a 4 link
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master Tinkerer

Member # 75774
First rate work! very very nice attention to detail!
Only thing is that mother looks aweful tall? Your CG is going to be kinda high isn't it? even with the body lift out?
oldtimingman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in