Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 20 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #476 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here's a few updated underhood pics with all of this work done:
Attached Images

Check out my build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 07-27-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #477 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
OK, here's a few more pics of the whole truck, it's close. Been putting off the wiring job but its coming up soon, not much left on the list
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 09-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #478 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here's a few pics from when I had the front end up in the air to bleed out the PSC hydraulic system. Turning the steering and having fun with it.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #479 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
And one more of the whole truck, with the front end barely off the ground while bleeding out the hydro steering.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #480 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Everything looks very clean and "show worthy". About the only thing I question is the air cleaner. Will there be some kind of "cold air" ducted to it?
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Attention to detail is kind of my thing, makes for a slower build but the devil is in the details and I'm a bit of a perfectionist (for better or worse -- haven't quite decided)

I had originally planned on building a cold air box around the air filter with external ducting but there just simply wasn't enough room so I'll be relying on the larger intercooler to hopefully make up the difference.

That air filter is huge and space is very limited with the intercooler piping etc so close by.

I do plan to install these louvers I designed and laser cut in the hood whenever I finally start back on the Scout again. Should really help to vent the underhood heat and keep heatsoak down...

I would eventually like to laser or waterjet and TIG weld replacement (same sized) louvers out of Aluminum.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2019, 02:32 AM   #481 (permalink)

Member # 213253
Love the attention to detail and great pics. That 6b fits nicely.
runit02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #482 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
For some reason, the louvers didn't come up in my sub. They look great. Can't wait to see them on the truck.

Last edited by waterhorse; 09-17-2019 at 07:21 PM.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #483 (permalink)

Member # 704449
Great build! How tall is it to the bottom of the doors?
Dmaddoxboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #484 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by runit02 View Post
Love the attention to detail and great pics. That 6b fits nicely.
Thanks! It's definitely a tight squeeze but can be made to fit well with some work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
For reason, the louvers didn't come up in my sub. They look great. Can't wait to see them on the truck.
Thanks! Haven't had the time to install the louvers yet but I'll keep everyone posted, going to have to pull the hood off to cut the holes in it without sending sparks everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaddoxboss View Post
Great build! How tall is it to the bottom of the doors?
Thanks! It's about 40" to the bottom of the doors from ground level.

Last edited by Blak Falken; 09-17-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #485 (permalink)

Member # 867678
Those look great and heavy.
Bolt2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #486 (permalink)

Member # 867678
Great job on the install.
Bolt2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #487 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Build is amazing.

But your intercooler looks to be major blocking the radiator airflow, and the electric fan seems too small to accomplish proper airflow thru the smallish radiator. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #488 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Build is amazing.

But your intercooler looks to be major blocking the radiator airflow, and the electric fan seems too small to accomplish proper airflow thru the smallish radiator. Hope I'm wrong.
Thanks! I didn't attempt any air flow or heat transfer calcs but I think it should be OK. Time will tell. The Griffin radiator is a circle track radiator, its 26" wide x 19" tall and 3" thick. Per Griffin it is rated for 450 RWHP with the 1" tubes. The 1.25" tube version is rated for 650 RWHP, may have to upgrade to the 1.25" tube version if any overheating problems, my understanding is that the the overall dimensions are the same.

I don't think airflow will be much of a problem. The intercooler covers maybe 50% of the surface area of the radiator (see below pics). The fan is rated for 2,400 CFM, would have certainly liked more flow but couldn't fit dual fans. 2 smaller diameter fans couln't provide the air flow of the larger single 17" diameter fan. From what I read, a lot of people have had success with this fan cooling built big blocks in hot summer areas (TX, AZ, CA, etc), we'll see.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 09-19-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #489 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
Build is amazing.

Also, in relation to airflow, just a comparison -- I've got a fully bulletproofed 6.0 Power Stroke that I recently installed upgraded (larger) Mishimoto trans cooler and CSF intercooler into. Just for reference, pics are below comparing stock to aftermarket. I also installed a Mishimoto aluminum radiator, and believe it or not the core of the Mishimotor radiator is thinner than the OEM. I was initially concerned about this especially since upgrading to larger trans cooler and intercooler that would further impede flow to the radiator.

With the Power Stroke 6.0L, the AC condenser, Trans Cooler and Intercooler all sit in front of the radiator, almost covering 100% of it. The core support sits right above the intercooler and blocks the remaining surface area of the radiator. Sure the mechanical fan can pull higher CFM but there still is pressure and flow drop through all these. Air flow isn't impacted significantly enough to cause any overheating issues in this configuration.

I routinely tow a 14k lb trailer through mountain grades (Sierra's, Siskiyou Pass, etc) and have never had an overheating issue. Recently did the 300+ miles of towing mountain passes of Southern OR into CA and no issue with heat. Lower engine oil and coolant temps. Lower trans temps. Lower IAT and EGT temps.

First two pics are comparing larger Mishimoto trans cooler to smaller OEM trans cooler and larger CSF intercooler to OEM intercooler.

Last 2 pics showing AC condenser, trans cooler, intercooler and radiator.

There is also a small power steering cooler in front of the AC condenser.

Also, not planning on doing any towing with the Scout
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 09-19-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #490 (permalink)

Member # 147458
Wow, what an amazing, epic build!!! Your fab/engineering skills are top notch, as mentioned, one of the best builds ive ever followed be it on tv shows or builds on forums, this one takes the cake!!!

I am a cnc machinist/programmer and know my way around solidworks, have worked with many mechanical engineers, and youve got most of them beat. "It works on paper" or "it works in the solid model" doesnt always mean its gonna work or be able to be manufactured easily in the real world. That takes real hands on experience and learning from your own fuck ups. again, you got some major skills and ability here. Getting things from cad software to an actual perfect fit takes a lot of patience, experience, and skill.

I love the attention to detail, down to brake lines and all the little finishing touches. I especially dig the lil side "projects" where you made custom 45 or 90 deg fittings, and the custom tube beader vice grips are just bitchin. I wish i woulda thought of that!! Major major props to one of the baddest build threads ever, and THE baddest 5 ton scout out there!!! Man i hope i run into you at a scout show someday, or even better, on the trail!!!
Old 10-08-2019, 04:46 PM   #491 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Very happy for you for getting it done. You have lots of patience!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in