Scout II BUILD with Rockwells, Cummins 12V, and 46" Claws - Page 8 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #176 (permalink)

Member # 181988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocFlip201 View Post
It all looks really great, but you'll probably wish ya had a bit more clearance between your sliders and the bottom of your door, a good smack on the slider and you'll be stuck in your cab!
With the .250 wall tubing and the fact that the legs are ran through the frame to the cross member I'd say that they will be pretty damn strong... if not, thats what windows are for.
richyrich307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #177 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Falken View Post
Here is how the fender ended up after cutting.
Turned out well. Great idea running the mounts through the frame for the sliders.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #178 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Ok...time for an update.

I went a little heavier and laser cut the new fender-wells from 14 gauge steel plate. They got bent across to the vertex points at 50 degrees. I had some small plates cut from 14 gauge as well to tie the bed supports into the fender-wells for strength.

Here is one of the fender-wells after welding, it just needs a little cleanup with the grinder, some seam sealer, and some paint.

Now I have the other side to do
Attached Images

Check out my build thread:
Blak Falken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #179 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I also decided to extend the cross-member fish plates a little to tie in the front mounting legs on the rock sliders, and to add some strength in that area.

Here is how they will be extended:
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #180 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I also decided that I wanted some type of d-ring or clevis shackle setup mounted to the front and rear axles for towing, etc.

I picked up these d-rings and tacked them in...didn't really like them for a few reasons, so I ended up cutting them off.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #181 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
My other solution...

I modeled up some clevis shackle mounts that had the profile of the spring perches in them, these would be welded in to the spring perches since the perches are 0.375" steel. My buddy had them CNC cut with an OA torch out of 1" steel plate. Here they are after being cut and a little cleanup with the sanding disk:
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #182 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here are the front and rear clevis shackle mounts after being tacked in. I think these are the better option since the clevis shackles can be removed and they don't sacrifice clearance to the axle...a little more integrated.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #183 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
The mounting bracket that came with the PSC Rockwell kit was to wide for the Scout II frame. Here is the replacement I designed, laser cut, and had bent.

Also pictured is the PSC load-reactive orbital valve, the new mount, steering column, and the Borgeson steering joints. I used this assembly to locate and tack the mount in place.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #184 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here is the orbital mount tacked in.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #185 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here is the intercooler I got, it's a Mishimoto z-line which is a small intercooler...I couldn't fit a much larger intercooler without some major modifications which at this point I didn't want to make.

It should work ok for the application since I'll just be using the Scout for crawling, if I have some EGT problems I'll probably add a methanol/water injection system to keep it in check.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #186 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
These are the intercooler mounts I designed after being laser cut. They were cut from 10 gauge steel.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #187 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
The mounts after I formed and welded them up.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #188 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Fitting the intercooler, just about to drill mounting holes.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #189 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Intercooler, headlights, and SS grille installed...looking more and more like a Scout again.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #190 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
and

Absolutely bad ass...... You really have done some beautiful work.
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #191 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 178400
Send a message via AIM to LibertySand
Quote:
So after I put the SS Grill on I decided it wasn't Bad Ass enough and designed this new SS Grill with iron crossed breather holes to get more air flow. I also integrated a high flow electric fan that is inset into the grill. The grill also has internal copper refrigerant lines that run to a condenser in the rear that cools my kegarater in the center console.
You sir, keep brining it! This Scout is becoming the Scout to reign all Scouts! Awesome work, keep it up!

LibertySand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #192 (permalink)

Member # 142138
Send a message via Yahoo to crash-harris
sub'd, to a badass build
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #193 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
I pulled the tarp off the other day to do some work on the left rear fender...I thought you guys might like these pictures a little better, you can actually see the whole Scout.

It's getting close to being ready to drop the Cummins and the rest of the drivetrain in.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #194 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Damn! That is straight up

This just keeps getting better and better!
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #195 (permalink)

Member # 144115
Any updates???
enafzige is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #196 (permalink)

Member # 109772
Looks like it may sit a bit low in the front once you put that C in it?
painter66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #197 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Ok, time for an update...

As you probably know by now the engine going in this beast is a '95 12V, mods are as follows: #10 fuel plate, Pacbrake 4GSK, 2095 Rack Plug, Pacbrake 60lb HD Valve Springs, KDP Killed, ARP 12mm head studs, AFC mods and tuning, 17* timing, 181 DV's, Marine 370 Injectors, He351VGT turbocharger, BD Diesel 3-piece exhaust manifold, custom intake horn, cable fuel shut off, Raptor 150 Fuel Pump, Tork Tek OFV60HP Valve, and some other misc stuff. I will probably add H20/Meth Injection in the future.

Pictured below are some of the parts used in the Cummins build:
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 07-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #198 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
One of the big restrictions on the OEM intake system was the intake horn, in the picture below you can see the necked down section of the factory part, this creates a pretty big flow restriction.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #199 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
So I laser cut a flange, and found a piece of 16 gauge 3.00" OD mandrel bent tube, with a 180* bend. I cut the tube in half and used a section from one of the legs to widen it out. Tony gas welded it back together and I blended it out with a sanding disk. We also used a bead roller to create a hump in the end of the intake horn to keep the boot on under boost pressure. I also added two 1/8" NPT ports into the intake horn; one for a boost gauge, and the other for a water/meth injection system.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blak Falken; 07-07-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #200 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 206164
Here is the KDP tab which was laser cut from stainless steel, I used some red Loctite on the new bolt.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in