All-Purpose Scout 80 Build - Page 12 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #276 (permalink)

Member # 2775
Do you have part number on the fuse block with the single relay you used for the LS harnes. The link is dead.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:26 PM   #277 (permalink)

Member # 137726
HWB18 Series - Hard Wired PDM from DC Power Distribution Modules - Littelfuse

Available from Waytek:
https://www.waytekwire.com/products/...dules/&mfg=111
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 10:58 PM   #278 (permalink)

Member # 137726
What's this - an actual update?

With the bump stops worked out, the rest of the fab needed on the suspension is easier to tackle with the axle out from under the truck, and the engine out of the way. I also wanted to clean up the firewall, patch up a bunch of un-needed holes, and get it ready for paint. Ill be doing the same as under the truck primer, sound deadedning (Lizard Skin), but with an additional layer of DEI heat shield.

Blew the front end apart, down to bare frame rails

Before

After

Found what I think will be a nice fit for the air cleaner its a stock part for a H2 hummer. Uses the Donaldson Powercore filter, should be easy to get replacements. It sits on top of the passenger inner fender like it was designed to be there.

Axle on the welding bench to finish off the suspension brackets

Finished up the lower shock mounts, and burned in most of the brackets on the axle. It was one of those evenings where welding clicks (despite not doing much for the past year) so I just went for it.

Next steps are finishing burning in the suspension brackets on the axle and frame, a bit more fab work for the bumpstop cans on the frame, and deciding on whether to tackle the gears myself or have someone do it. Leaning towards the latter in the interest time. Also can work on painting the firewall, and building the final electrical panel based on the plywood mockup.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #279 (permalink)

Member # 789977
can you give some more info on your steering shaft setup? I am running the same gear box and very similar column and would like to hear more on how you connected the two. Looks like two universal ujoints and some DD rod but would like to know more or links to what you used??? I am running a LM7 that is centered between the frame rails and its farther forward than yours making the clearance for the steering shaft really tight.
thanks
jepjep13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #280 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Here's what I used:
Borgeson 014931 (3/4" 30 spline to 3/4" D-D) - Adapter for the steering box
Borgeson 014952 (3/4" D-D to 1" D-D) - Adapter for the GM column
Borgeson 409418 (3/4" D-D shaft, 18" long )
Old 05-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #281 (permalink)

Member # 789977
Thank you. Another question, I believe someone else on here that is running a similar steering setup commented afterward that they believe they could have set the steering gear box flatter or more parallel to the frame as his input shaft pointed up towards the steering column like yours. When I mock up mine like this with the stock GM pitman arm still attached it has a little "rainbow" to its motion. Now that you have yours set what do you think about that, could it have been mounted flatter or were there other factors that made you choose your position, like the operating degree of the ujoints, etc.
jepjep13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in