Project merkwürdig - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2003, 03:58 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 17793
I thought of you chief when I drove to get my rubber today.

Not quite to the valley yet.

I decided to bring this pile back to life.

I'm going to put on the 3.73 D44s with no break parts.

This is what a tire store looks like at below zero.

Imagine...51.7"x19.5" tractor tires on a 3.73 D44. I don't think I will break any parts or have any torque problems. Stay tuned for my solution.

Late november early december I should have the front D44 finished. Just gotta buy some 1/2 plate and some of that propylene stuff.

My next DIY project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Broken Yoke -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Logjam-grant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 5982
You're putting those tires on a D44 with 3.73's

Couple of problems I see here, first you need to lay off the

Second, the axles are going to self destruct, followed by the tranny for trying to turns those meats.

Third if you are using Scout II 44's you will not have enough width to clear the frame unless you run 0 backspacing, in which case see number 2

I think you need to read a few of the build-ups here for ideas

www.bootyfab.com
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2003, 09:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
You and the chief should get together and do some kind of a northwoods version of a vulcan mind melt.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2003, 09:14 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 5982
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiScouter
You and the chief should get together and do some kind of a northwoods version of a vulcan mind melt.
I think it be more of melting minds then anything else.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:00 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiScouter

sounds like a plan

bwahahah I love this shit
Old 11-16-2003, 12:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 17793
Well, first of all the only time a vulcan's mind melts is when the mind meld goes really wrong. I don't know, maybe it did...

As far as strength, with a final gear ratio of 130:1, some of it after the shafts...

Sure, I've done stupid things like groove a NDT with a skill saw... But have a little faith here! I also built a CNC plasma table in my garage, and built an alternator plasma cutter using a bunch of capacitors and a hair dryer!

Why else would the front dana 44 only be "done" early december?

But either way, you guys will get to see something. If its a pile of twisted scout or if its something that moves under its own power...

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -
Old 11-16-2003, 12:25 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 7646
what happend to the rockwells
Old 11-16-2003, 12:49 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 17793
They were liberated to the van. At 7000lbs empty the semi float D60 rear and Ford D60 front wouldn't last too long.

Remember this other beauty?

Scored a winch 2 months ago, will look good on the scout.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:53 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
Originally posted by 69travelall
...and built an alternator plasma cutter using a bunch of capacitors and a hair dryer!...
Care to eleborate on this? A CNC table would be cool, but a low buck plasma cutter that doesn't melt your nuts with HF or RF would be really cool.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:00 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 17793
Yes, I'm just not ready for pictures of it yet. Its a dangerous ball of wires that looks worse than tangled up christmas lights.

Imagine this X about 100. I want the presentation to be decent. So I won't say much more untill my CNC table spits out some box walls.

Thats an alternator running two 1500w hair dryers and a 500w halogen bulb, sustaining 100v @ 25A. The same output as the little Miller Spectrum 375.

Not shown is the air supply, torch, air solenoid, contactor, and some interlock stuff.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 13880
Quote:
I also built a CNC plasma table in my garage, and built an alternator plasma cutter using a bunch of capacitors and a hair dryer!

That's either one of the coolest things I've ever heard or the most horrific. I'm leaning toward the first.

Last edited by Rockabilly; 11-16-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2003, 01:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 22602
Send a message via AIM to 84cj7305
I got to keep reading this thread you all are making my day a little better
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 21424
What is in the plywood boxes, AK-47's??

Quote:
Yes, I'm just not ready for pictures of it yet. Its a dangerous ball of wires that looks worse than tangled up christmas lights.

Imagine this X about 100. I want the presentation to be decent. So I won't say much more untill my CNC table spits out some box walls.

Thats an alternator running two 1500w hair dryers and a 500w halogen bulb, sustaining 100v @ 25A. The same output as the little Miller Spectrum 375.

Not shown is the air supply, torch, air solenoid, contactor, and some interlock stuff.
scrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Quote:

love the feet on the alt cart
Old 11-26-2003, 05:54 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 17793
I think the feet are valve springs from a diesel.

Pieces for 3 rims:

Had to shovel over a foot of snow to get to the tarp covering the axles.

Frozen everything...after 30 minutes, the propane tank ouput dropped too.

All done.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 17793
3 sheets, rolled.

A little bit of spring to it. 23" OD for a 24" rim.

Grade 8, 1/2x3", $0.223 a set.

This long weekend I'll be building a mount for my machine flame burner. Then CNC cut some sprockets from 1.125" steel.

I'm also trying to figure out what the best way is to move a pile of scout through a foot of snow all the way up a hill. $60 costco winch hooked to my battery charger.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
3 sheets, rolled.

A little bit of spring to it. 23" OD for a 24" rim.

Grade 8, 1/2x3", $0.223 a set.

This long weekend I'll be building a mount for my machine flame burner. Then CNC cut some sprockets from 1.125" steel.

I'm also trying to figure out what the best way is to move a pile of scout through a foot of snow all the way up a hill. $60 costco winch hooked to my battery charger.
Intriguing to say the least.... but instead of asking about this latest post I'm gonna back up a little. I know you said you don't want to post up any pics yet of your homebrew plasma, but what about a parts breakdown. What size capacitors? how many? basic description of the hook up?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:17 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 21359
I've read this whole post twice, and I still can't figure out what the hell you are making here.???

This started as an axle swap and then you put up pictures of a big ass chain and a weird looking torch???

Lemme know if I'm totally missing something here.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:31 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 7646
Quote:
Originally posted by Scout8hundred
I've read this whole post twice, and I still can't figure out what the hell you are making here.???

This started as an axle swap and then you put up pictures of a big ass chain and a weird looking torch???

Lemme know if I'm totally missing something here.

This is by far one of the bests post in the IH fourm
Old 11-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 17793
800:
Torch, 1.25" steel, 53" tires, sprockets, big chain...

TORC:
I scratched my head after posting that mess of a power output demo...why not just put pictures of the thing up? Two things, I only have one torch, and its in the garage on the CNC table. Money. I decided to buy another torch as soon as I get paid...and all of my finals are done. After the 13th (possibly before if I finish my papers) I will buy a second torch and get some action shots as is.

To get the correct constant current output curve, I brought all 3 phases of the alternator outside the case. Not just 3 phase AC, but all 3 coils isolated from each other.

Then I built a capacitor voltage doubler for each phase. Each doubler has a total of about 4000uf of 250v capacitors.

At 5000RPM, 11v into the rotor (~4A, 44W), the alternator now produces a steady 340vDC. A little high, but thats what all of the interlock stuff is for. As the load on the alternator increases, the voltage drops. 100v is the normal operating voltage.

Using a load of two 1500w hair dryers and a 500w halogen bulb I am able to sustain [email protected] with a 135A 12v alternator. Under load I tested the alternator, and each coil was putting out about 19vAC. You might think 19x2x3 doesn't equal 100, we have RMS voltage issues, capacitors, and the fact that the voltage doubler doesn't work all that great.

Other people have e-mailed me about this, so here are some clippings of my e-mails sent to them...:

Plasma cutting is a DCSP process, the electrode is negative and the work clamp ("ground clamp") is positve. It is a CC process, like stick/tig and not CV like MIG/FCAW.

The open circuit voltages for the most part determine metal pierce capacity (possibly because of a steeper curve?). Also, machines with higher OCVs feel better to me as the operator. The common range is 250-280(300) and limited to
the 280/300vDC as an absolute maximum. (safety)

In ideal conditions (arc length, air pressure...), the arc voltage is
100v. I don't remember a machine rated at anything different than 100v.

All plasma torches have three basic parts, an electrode, a constricting nozzle (tip), and a shielding gas nozzle (shield cup). Some torches have a start cartridge (spring loaded device which shorts the electrode to the tip and retracts when air flow is present), and I will discuss what exactly those are for later. All plasma torches use a negative electrode (DCSP, - ), current limited positive tip (+), and a positive work piece (+).

Inside the torch, an arc is initiated between the electrode and constriction nozzle by a HF HV (high frequency high voltage) generator (similar to a non-scratch-start TIG welder). Once the HF HV current establishes the ionization process, a higher current flows from the electrode to the constriction nozzle due to the constriction nozzle connecting to positive through a current limiting resistor. This current limited function serves two purposes, it keeps the potential between the electrode and the work higher than the potential from the electrode to the constriction nozzle, and it reduces wear on the constriction nozzle from these starts.

Another common method of starting the ionization process is by using a start cartridge or some other form of lift-arctechnology. With the torch inactive, the start cartridge shorts the electrode to the constriction nozzle. This could seem like a problem, because the electrode is grounded and the tip positive potential, but remember there is a current limiting resistor in the path of the tip to positive connection. The second that sufficient air flow/pressure is present, the start cartridge lifts off of the tip and draws an arc (similar to scratch start TIG or stick welding). This resistor prevents excessive heating of the tip and wear on the internal torch components.

After the pilot arc has been initiated by the low current arc within the torch ionized gas from the pilot arc blows through the tip to the workpiece. This causes a low resistance path to ground (there is no current limiting resistor on the work clamp).To reduce heating on the tip, the pilot arc (current limited connection to positive and/or HF HV) may be turned off once this main arc ignites.

So there... :P And I thought people would go crazy with the chain size. Plasma is boreing. This 6.5lbs a foot chain is what excites me!!!

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -
Old 11-26-2003, 07:54 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 17793
Don't all watch it at once. :P

Power Output Test

Might not be plasma, but its what an alternator, 10hp of electric motor, and two hair dryers sound like in my basement.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 21359
Quote:
800:
Torch, 1.25" steel, 53" tires, sprockets, big chain...

I got it now.

I can't wait to see this in action.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:59 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 17793
I can't resist.

Tire Grooving

If you all watch it at once, it will take a real long time to buffer. save it. :P

I want to CNC cut this from T1 and see if it helps my grooving capacity (see above posts in this topic).

Now, THIS is fun.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Last edited by Logjam-grant; 01-21-2004 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:35 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 6704
Quote:
So there... :P And I thought people would go crazy with the chain size. Plasma is boreing. This 6.5lbs a foot chain is what excites me!!!
Thanks for the run down.... plasma may be boring but the idea of a low buck, homebrew plasma cutter that doesn't empty my wallet excites me!! :woody:

I'd probably make one once you get yours done and post up the how to.... that is, if you post up the how to.

Last edited by Mechanos; 11-26-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Mechanos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 17793
It still wouldn't be too cheap. The torch runs $270-299, and even a machinist would go mad trying to duplicate one.

But in the end you'd get a plasma cutter without too much broom stick.

Hair dryer is necessary too. I don't see a hair dryer, I see an air cooled 15000watt ~10 ohm resistor.

My next DIY project

Broken Yoke -

Makeshift -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in