The "Re-Roll" Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 235208
The "Re-Roll" Build

So I thought I'd start a thread for the 63 "Re-Roll" that I'm going to turn into a pure trail rig....and trust me it wont be pretty.

Back round; 1963 S80, 196 4cyl, T-90 3spd, D18 t-case, tapered D44 in the read, and a D27 in the front. Over all it has very little rust, this is a good thing. The PO had 1/2 a clue, but did some pretty crappy work and a lot of it needs to be re-done.

The good; It runs great, has a Weber 32/36 carb, new wiring, new brakes with a dual M/C, proportioning valve, new soft lines, and hard lines, fuel cell with working gauge, oil/voltage/water temp gauges, new aluminum radiator.

The bad; The motor mounts are home built solids, the trans pops out of second, it needs a new T/O bearing, the wiring needs to be done right, it wanders all over the place and has HORRIBLE bump steer, no top or heater, no door windows, the fuel cell isn't really mounted and is in the bed behind the driver

That's all I can report on for now and will update as work progresses. I will start with the suspension, it has 8" shackles on it and I'm pretty sure that the bushings are trashed. I just ordered a 55-75 CJ-7 complete Daystar bushing kit off Ebay for $5.96......SCORE!! My plan it to change all the spring bushings with the poly ones and put stock length shackles on it and see how it drives after that. I'm sure that I will have to drill out the old bushings (that should be fun) and that it will fight me the whole way.

Some pics of the beast;

Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 137726
Got an overall picture? Any idea of what your plans are for it?

Anyways good to see another Scout getting some attention.
MotoDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDave View Post
Got an overall picture? Any idea of what your plans are for it?

Anyways good to see another Scout getting some attention.
Since the 196 runs so well, its gunna stay. Right now I'm just going to try and get it so it doesn't try to kill you when you go down the street! Basically I will go through it and get it "good to go" the way it sits going through it system by system till its reliable and right. Trying to find a top and doors, or parts for the doors, and a heater, and weld up ALOT of holes. That's the first priority for now.

In the future I would like to find a T-18 short shaft if I can, if not then I will look for a T-19 from a SII and make an adaptor to mount it to the pancake bellhousing. I'm going to keep the D-18 so I can run 5.13's or higher and use an OD off the back for the street. A waggy offset flanged D44 for the rear and an open-knuckle disc brake D-44 for the front, both with selectable lockers. This will all go SOA on the stock springs for a start with plans to go to 2.5" springs and a shackle reverse for the front later down the road. Of coarse this is all due to the availability of parts and funds (its gunna be a long time build).

As it sits now

Last edited by desertscouts; 09-30-2014 at 04:05 PM.
desertscouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Took the suspension apart yesterday and cut down the 6" shackles to 3"' and was pleasantly surprised to find new poly bushings in the springs and on the truck. I have been sourcing parts that are needed, so far I have found the defroster vents, a heater plenum, and am still working on a top and windows for the doors.

The steering bell appears to be trash and the main cause of it steering woes along with the damper not working.

Got the suspension all back together and it drives MUCH better. Still has some steering issues that I'm working on. The hoods off along with the windshield, the piano hinge on the windshield is all FUBAR and will require some welding to get it right.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I tore into the 63 yesterday, pulled the steering column and figured out what parts were needed to fix it and ordered them. Pulled the hood and windshield, I know why it has a late model windshield frame now. At one time in its life it had the original bent back pretty far (rolled, overhang, who knows) so there is a pretty good twist to the passenger side of the mounting surface of the windshield and hood. I already fixed the driver side and need to turn it around to fix the other side. I will wait till the steering column parts are installed before I move it.

I also pulled the dash off and started to clean up the wiring and add fuses where needed. I will also move the gauges to the empty gauge hole building a panel to mount them. The speedo wasn't the original and through some research I found it to be an early 50's truck unit.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Did some rewiring over the past few days, it will need a complete rewire, but at least it wont burn down now. Got the steering back together and the bell was an issue but it looks like the box has a problem too. Got a source on a good one and am starting to source parts for a Cherokee PS box install. Got the piano hinge semi straightened out on the windshield. I need to do some tack welds on one side so it quits see-sawing on the factory spot welds to finish the straightening.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So while I'm waiting for parts to come in I decided to get my gauges setup for there final resting place and get most of the dash done and mocked up.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Started to build the wire harness today. The engine compartment and front lights are run and the engine is wired. Worked till it was dark, so no pics today.

It's coming along....slowly
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So its been a while since I updated......

I mostly straightened out the windshield mount and am waiting on a passenger vent window so that I can get the angle right on the frame before I weld it back together. I ended up tearing all the wiring and fuse box out and rewiring it rather than band-aiding what was there. I replaced the ignition switch and got a light switch with the ability to dim the dash lights. I'm also fixing all the holes that weren't needed in the dash plate and will repaint it when done.

New fuse box, not mounted yet, but functioning

First dash test fit.....everything is good
Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I took my windshield to the shop so I had bigger tools to play with and straighten it out. Fixed the hinge and bent the tabs that hold it in the up position through the dash back to where there supposed to be. Did a total gauge and wiring test on the new harness that I built...passed with honors, and did a run function test....EVERYTHING works electrically and mechanical. I also beat on the hood a bit to get it closer to the original shape. My vent window is on its way and by the end of next week I should have working vent windows and rollup windows. I still need to re work and re weld the drivers regulator but should do that this weekend. Found a heater and am working on a deal for it.

Its shaping up.....wont be long till I can drive it and be comfortable with its reliability, next stop will be bringing it to a meeting....LOL

Old 12-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I finished the dash install, need a different column, not worth repairing....always upgrade, and I mounted the bikini top! Also finished the repair and re-welding of the driver door regulator and re-drilled the door for the regulators. I guess there was a difference somewhere along the way of the placement in the door, no big deal, it was pretty easy. So at lease 1 door is basically done, except for felt strips.......baby steps.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 56574
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertscouts View Post
So I finished the dash install, need a different column, not worth repairing....always upgrade...]
Mid 70's Cadillac tilt/telescoping
Old 12-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout254 View Post
Mid 70's Cadillac tilt/telescoping
Need to make a JY run and see whats available
Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 235208
The local Pick-A-Part was having 1/2 price days this weekend, saw an 800 in there when we went to get OEM bumpers for some projects at the shop last week. Went down yesterday and got an 800 short steering column for $19.00, then went back today with a buddy and his van to get some stuff for that too.

Got the top, doesn't have the liftgate, but I can fab something up for that.

1/2 price day...$50.00 and it even has sliders! The parts collection is growing.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I spent the day re-fitting the 800 top that I got from the JY. I can tell you that there is a slight difference between the tops, only 4 out of 7 windshield bolts line up which is no big deal since I have to add nutserts to the windshield frame cause there all stripped out except 2 and I like the strength. While doing this today I've now have a clear direction for the "weather proofing" part. I will shorten the travel top to a p/u top that I think IH should have done IMO.

I found this S800 on the internet and it has the perfect top for what I'm going for. With the extended area behind the seats using this style of top, I will remove the "step" that IH put into it for the fuel tank area and widen it out to the bed rail and go straight down to the floor of the bed. I will make a bulkhead farther back and this should add a few more inches of room for the seat bottom to go all the way back to the step into the bed and open up a small storage area behind the seat. This should also make room for a roll cage that ties into the frame and not cramp you out while still being able to use the top.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Got an original heater unit in the other day and with the updated dual MC it had to be moved forward about 1.5 inches and drilled new holes for mounting. I picked up some high quality dryer vent hose to plumb the air system....$13.00, will see if it will work over the weekend.

Still need to change the steering box before it's safe to drive.

So I mounted the heater and the dryer hose works pretty good for the price, a little different than from factory, but good enough. The fresh air side is plugged with a 4" rubber end cap for sewer pipe, don't really need another possible source for cold air to get in in the winter. I also plumbed the defrosters, who would have knew that my left over VW heater hose was close enough to the size to work...cost $0.00. Everything fits tight but you can get to everything if needed. Still need to add a switch for the fan and redo the wire routing and add all the vent/defroster/heater cables.

The radiator is not the right one for a Scout and is mounted offset to the driver side, blocking the air vent for the heater pickup. I ordered a new Robert Shaw Tstat and the correct gaskets for the housing. When they come in I will remove the radiator and redo the cooling/heater system plumbing so that everything works and doesn't interfere with anything. Hopefully I can get everything to work with this radiator. Cause a new one is $240.00!

The present goal is to have a driver that can light wheel for now while collecting the parts that are needed to make it a serious rig.

Last edited by desertscouts; 01-17-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I don't have much to do on it right now due to I need parts. Both steering boxes are shit! Its drivable but nothing more than a little around town stuff. So while I'm gathering parts for my PS conversion I did some fluff on it!

Weird things that you collect over the years and keep......................

I found this in the bed of a 63 S80 that I bought to get back on the road years ago, but ended up selling it.

So I cleaned it up and installed it in "Beater"....have to modify it a little for the Big Gulp, but the can works great! Don't know if it was home made or some strange accessory that was made in the 60's, but I've never seen another.

I LIKE IT!!

Old 02-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I also (for the most part) have a working vent/defroster system. I still need to plumb coolant to the heater, but I need to drain the radiator, relocate it to where it should be, its 3-4 inches to far over to the drivers side. Its really the wrong radiator, but its a brand new 3 core aluminum unit, so I will try to make it work. I may have to do some fancy plumbing for it and at that time I will replace the T-stat and plumb the heater with the coolant shut-off valve.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 235208
I haven't really done anything to the Scout for a while so today was get the fuel system issues worked out, cause I have the stuff to do that and don't need to buy anything for it.

I removed the fuel cell and drained what fuel was left in it, almost 5 gallons, and the gauge said a needle above empty. So I will have to fine tune the float level while its out. As expected there a few previous horrible decisions made while building it that I will have to fix. Like the fill cap, it was horribly welded and silicone covered, and it still smelled and leaked. I will build a new fill/vent bolt on cover that will go to a filler cab in the fender. Other than building a mount to put it under the rear like a SII tank is, it will be cleaned and used as it is for now. No pics today and now the tank is sitting out and open letting the rest of the fuel dregs evaporate off so I can clean the inside of the tank and redo the fuel pickup. It had a rubber hose just laying in the bottom of the tank. I will built a metal pickup tube for that so its a consistent supply and not a hose moving around in the bottom of the tank sometimes.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 235208
The fuel cell is now dry. With that being done I cleaned all the sand, dirt, and left over plastic shavings that was inside the tank. I also readjusted the float level so that it reads truer than it did and started designing the mounting system. I will make a frame that the top will bolt to out of 1.5" angle iron which will be welded to the frame behind the rear axle and will have 2 1" support straps going under the tank to the angle iron structure to help support the weight of the tank. I will be designing the filler assembly in the next few days along with a new fuel pickup......that's all for now.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 235208
So I've been working on moving the fuel cell to under the bed, behind the axle. I've built the support structure to hang it from the frame using 1/8" x 1.5" angle iron that I had laying around, along with 1/8" x 1.25" straps to help distribute the weight of the 19 gallon tank. Since its a rectangle it hangs a bit low in the back and will require a skid plate to be fabbed to protect it from getting crushed. It will be bolted to 1/8" x 1.5" x 13" angle iron brackets that will be welded to the inside of the frame. I added a few more bolts for the mounting on the support structure and used nylon locking nuts for all the hardware. Wont have pics of the final mounting till at least next week.....waiting for the filler cap to come in.

I was going to build a top fill plate and go with a remote filler, but decided to just add an access hole in the bed floor since its going to be a P/U anyhow. Also since there is a chance of roll-over I went to a flush, vented, dirt track filler with a roll-over flap, so that in the event it does go over it wont spill fuel. It wasn't cheap, but safety is more important.

For the fuel pickup I went with an old Ford diesel trick and did a 60* cut on the end of a hose that is just a tad longer than the height of the tank so that it doesn't move and will pickup fuel down to about 3/8". That should do well at using most of the fuel in the tank.

That's it for this installment.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Surprise, surprise, parts came in today so I got back on it. I replaced all the gaskets for the filler and installed the new fill assembly. I also had to change the way I was going to mount the tank. Due to the size of the tank there wasn't really any room to get between it and the frame to mount it, along with there being any room to get to the top of the bracket. So I built a wing for lack of a better term that comes off the side and will be mounted to the bottom of the frame. The tank is just to big for the little Scout, the only way it would work is to mount it through the bed from the top and that aint gonna happen, its about 4 inches to deep in the rear. So in the future I will end up building one for it with a with a built in skid plate using 10 gauge steel for the bottom and half way up the sides to the mounts. The tank fits ok, but the rear needs to be at an angle for better departure clearance. A bit getto, but it will work for now and will make it a driver rather than a sitter and I now have the dimensions needed to build a tank .

I also started the custom P/U top that I have in mind.

Last edited by desertscouts; 04-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 235208
The fuel tank is done, mounted, plumbed, and wired! Took her out for a little run and all is good....at least for street use and forestry roads...LOL. I guess I'm gunna have to make one. This tank is decent size wise, but its shaped wrong for a little 80. I can go 1"-1.5" wider and .5" taller, angle the rear bottom plate to about 30* to make the rear drop about 4.5"-5" total and that should be pretty good at not hitting with a SOA suspension. Just for good measure build most of it out of 1/8" (bottom and sides), buy a half sheet....$40.00....14ga top with all the plumbing and electrics for the fuel cell, I even have enough 16ga to make a few baffles in it. But for now, I have to finish cutting the top up for the P/U top, when that's done, start on the bulkhead.

One more baby step closer to daily driverish. Why cant I just win lotto........haha.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 235208
No work at the shop today, so I tackled the P/U top today. The sides are burned together and its bolted down, I have to make a filler strip for the roof due to the interference of the brace that I didn't take into account. Shouldn't be a problem and I should get it done this weekend. I like the look and the added room behind the seat, I could have gone farther back, but it just didn't look right.

Last edited by desertscouts; 04-22-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 235208
Worked on the P/U top again today, I guess I should measure 4 times and cut once.....lol. I was 3/8" short on the top of the roof so I had to improvise, I welded the piece I cut off of the front section back on. After that I cut a notch in it the 2 pieces from the bottom and sawed them out. By having to do this the 2 pieces didn't match up well, the rear section sat 1/8-3/16 below the front section of the roof, if I had cut it correctly the first time I don't think it would have been an issue. Then I had to do a relief cut to the back corners so that I could get the top edges to line up. Got most of it welded together till the wind got to heavy to weld in. I'm by no means a body man, and this will never be a show truck, but.....the top will serve its purpose by keeping me dry and somewhat warm when it needs to.

Its getting closer. In retrospect.....I should have made it one or two inches longer in length

The stitching

The reason for the relief cut

The end of the progress, called, due to wind....I miss a garage!

Last edited by desertscouts; 04-26-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in