Scout II, family wheeler. - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 04:36 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 99975
I'm really bad about taking pictures, but I did wheel last weekend at Big Dogs Offroad Fall Crawl. Had a blast, buried it in a mud hole at midnight and ran some easy trails Saturday morning. It works very well, just desperately needs some more gearing. Around 1:00 it started missing, spitting and barely running. The fuel pump is blowing bubbles in the clear fuel filter and the truck is running very lean. Oh well time to full the tank and check the pickup, replace the factory plastic stuff with some steel fuel lines.
Attached Images

covecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Any updates? Did you ever get the H1's on it? How are the front geometry and clearances working out? Are those stock old waggy springs?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 99975
I did mount the H1 wheels, just ran 2” spacers, then sold the H1s and boggers.
I found a set of 37” Mastercraft Courser MXTs locally and ran them the last couple years, really nice road tires.

I have been mostly road driving the Scout, having a blast with it, but I am tired of the leaky, crap fuel economy, no vacuum 304 (sucky brakes). I pulled the dodge Dana 60s and sold them. I am currently building a set of 5.38 geared 14 bolt and snowfighter ford 60. Plans are 4.8l, 4l60e, driver drop atlas 2. I have most of the parts, need to finish assembling the axles.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 99975
Built another Toyota, with the way I like to wheel the scout wasn’t going to last. So that took a lot of my attention away from maintenance on the scout.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 99975
I was using stock Wagoneer leafs. I did like the front end geometry. The pitman arm/Drag link was close as many pointed out, but it was never an issue. I’m linking the Ford axle, and have a set of 16” Fox emulsion coilovers. The only thing I would have liked to do with the leafs was try a set of the leaf spring sliders that Liquid Iron sells.

While I’m doing the LS swap I’m also throwing a hydro boost setup on it with 4 wheel discs, hoping to finally have good brakes.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:22 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 99975
I bought a hydroboost setup off of a square body Chevy, any recommendations on mounting and such? What are you all using for a proportioning valve with front and rear disc brakes?

Also a little progress on my 14 bolt, my neighbor offered/wanted to Tig my diff cover, took him a few weeks, but it looks ok.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 50704
I like what your neighbor did looks good. For my hydroboost setup, I grabbed the adapter plate for the Hydroboost that ihpartsamerica makes as well as the genric proportioning valve. I could have done the install without the Hydroboost adapter if I wanted just chose to go down that path. I added the proportioning valve at the same time so I would only have to bleed the brakes once. You could pick a generic one up or grab the factory unit from the vehicle you got the hydroboost from.
Rusty Scoutii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 456402
I know its been a month, take the sqaurebody hydroboost to the auto parts store and use it as a core on a 99 chevy express van hydroboost and grab a 1970 something chevy P20 master, Im running a wilwood adjustable prop and my brakes are good. Just remember with the hydroboost if you stall its really hard to get stopped... I had a little trouble in april at WFH with that.

The van hydroboost is more compact and mounts flat. Another positive is all the stock van lines will work (as long as you have a late 70's scout) and the van pump will work if you notch the bracket.

I solved the poor vacuum and fuel economy on my 304 with an FI-tech and hydroboost
Tacedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 99975
Work has been busy, progress has been non-existent until yesterday. Swapped the scout lift rear springs for some J10 leafs, widened the stock spring hangers, still have to remove the factory shackle hanger and replace it with a wider Ruffstuff hanger. Got it sitting on its own weight, realized that it’s way too tall. I will likely go back to spring under with more fender trimming.

I also got one of my Nitto Mall Grapplers mounted on a 3rd gen dodge wheel, these were super cheap to get me into a set of 40s, I will get something better hopefully soon.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2018, 06:35 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 42045
Quote:
Originally Posted by covecrawler View Post
I did mount the H1 wheels, just ran 2 spacers, then sold the H1s and boggers.
I found a set of 37 Mastercraft Courser MXTs locally and ran them the last couple years, really nice road tires.

I have been mostly road driving the Scout, having a blast with it, but I am tired of the leaky, crap fuel economy, no vacuum 304 (sucky brakes). I pulled the dodge Dana 60s and sold them. I am currently building a set of 5.38 geared 14 bolt and snowfighter ford 60. Plans are 4.8l, 4l60e, driver drop atlas 2. I have most of the parts, need to finish assembling the axles.
Nice rig! im enjoying the build.

Why a 4.8L ? just curious, I am not sure I see the point with the modest cost savings, if any, over a 5.3L. I will say it seems like the LS truck motors have gone up since I did mine but I still see deals on them and not sure I could justify doing all that not to have to motor I want, primarily. I guess it would be more fair to say that the prices are much more variable now, I see people asking $5-600 for something like an 01 with 150K miles, which is as much or more than i paid for the same motor 12 or 13 years ago with 30K. But I also just saw a complete and clean '17 5.3L/trans/tcase with 17K miles for $1100 i think it was... not bad for something that new.

If I already had a 4.8L and/or some appropriate turbos sitting around I would have zero issue with running that motor but If I have to buy it and then install it, I would target a 5.3L personally.

I absolutely love the hydroboost brakes, I, like others have mentioned used a van setup along with a proportioning valve. I have chevy 3/4 ton front calipers on my 14b rear and they needed to be reduced in braking force.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 99975
Thanks for the input.

Reason for the 4.8L was just because I had it, I don't think you can feel any difference between a 4.8L and 5.3L, just my opinion. I have since sold the 4.8L and now have a 2002 LQ4, it kinda just fell into my lap along with a 4L80E and atlas adapter. I still need to get the 32 spline atlas input shaft. This project is moving so slow it is pathetic, I apologize.

The Scout is currently back outside, sitting on all 4 tires again, but needs the suspension stuff ironed out, bottom line is the 304 needs to go to make room for steering and track bar.

My focus has been on my business, customer Jeeps, and general auto repair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in