New project? - Page 11 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #251 (permalink)
D-FENS

Member # 31414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover/Scout
... and please don't sell this one.

yeah, right...

lookin' great man. keep it up!
LT1SCOUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #252 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1SCOUT
yeah, right...
What?!?!

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #253 (permalink)

Member # 40702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Binder
That is sweet. On my 73 when i rewired it i ran the wires through the frame to the back of the scout, I have had many tell me that i should not have done that, but I cant figure out why, It works fine for me.
Anyways, I cant wait to see all of your quality work come together to finish this project. It will be killer.
If you run two 6-wire SOW cords that they used for a trailer electric connection, it would be tougher than snot and the second line could be for spares or additional lights. Vibration and short proof.
TheCopperCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #254 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
What happens when you go to sleep at 10:30ish, then wake up at 12:30 with a splitting head ache?

You get up and try to make it go away. Well, by 2:30 am I was about done with that. I had taken some Migrane meds and that woke my butt up, so by 3 am I gave the wifey a kiss and headed to the shop for some quiet time.

As good of intentions I had to work on bumpers, some new things purchased at WalMart had my mind on Rusty. Last night I went to Wally-world to pick up a tupper-ware type thingy to put the TBI computer in. I wanted to keep the ECU out of the elements, but in an open-top, No-doors rig, that's going to be REAL tuff. I took the ECU into walmart and made for the 'house-ware' isle and started sizing up containers. The ones were either too deep, or not wide enough, so I kept looking. As I zig-zag'd up and down isles, I found a display for a 3-pack of containers on the end of an isle. It was as close as I was going to get.

It's even water-tight and microwavable.

One beef I had with the computer is that there's no obvious way to mount it to anything ~ The AFI instructions say use bolts, straps or velcro ~ and since I can't find any good bolt-holes through the case, and straps didn't come with the system, I went with the velcro. But I needed to keep it from bouncing around. So I headed to the arts/crafts area for some velcro

Now I just needed to make sure it'll stay.

That should do it.

Next I had to make a place for the TBI harness to get to the computer, so I took my burr, and started modifying the box. This doesn't do much for the water-tight qualities of the container, but at least its still microwavable.

I made sure the slot was just big enough for the wires, I know the box is now not-so-water-tight, but I didn't want it completely open to the elements.

Actually fits pretty tight, and because the container has locks on each side, the seal stays pretty tight ~ even with the slot, water is going to have a hard time getting into that box.

Next I positioned the box on the inside of the cab, on the firewall. This keeps it out of the way. I used self-tapping sheetmetal screws to secure the container to the wall..

Next I installed the ECU, mounted the harness and fed it through the heater-hole (most of which is covered by the container). Looks pretty good.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 AM   #255 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Well, next I fed the harness through the hole, and put the whole kit-n-kabottle out in the engine bay ~ but that make it look like:

Na, can't do it. Gotta clean it up a bit. So I fed everything but the sensor leads back into the cab.

Now it was clean in the engine bay, but cluttered in the cab. So I stuck the power leads back through the hole.

Then I noticed that the wires around the ECU/ECM weren't very tied together very well.

So I got some wire ties and electrical tape and did some clean up.

Oh yeah. Nice and clean ~ compact as well ~ just need to mount the relays.

Besides the power leads (which will be tied into the control-panel harness where appropriate) this is what was left of the TBI harness after about 30 minutes of messing around with it.

Cake! So far I'm real impressed with AFI's system. I'll actually start reading the instructions now. Actually, not now, later ~ I left them at home :oops:. I did read through them the other night, and saw that positioning the ECU/ECM and running the harness was the first thing to do ~ so I did it. Next I start terminating ends, and whatever else the instructions tell me to do.

Now that I've toy'd around for 2-3 hours, its time to work on those bumpers I came in for.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #256 (permalink)

Member # 11959
Send a message via MSN to harkinoff
looks good Snoop. I think I would of went propane instead of having to do all the wiring and worrying about getting shit wet...
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #257 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I donno ~ maybe someday I'll go propane...not this time.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #258 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
PS ~ working on the Scout made my migrane go away ~ in fact, as soon as I started, I couldn't remember I had a headache at all.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #259 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
More wiring....Does it ever end? At least its relatively easy. Just got to mount this thing..

Then I can start mounting the hard fuel line (one step closer to running)

Ran into problems mounting this ~ I got a 2bbl adapter, need a 4bbl ~ Norm is sending one right away ~ had it in stock ~ THANKS NORM
Big bling came from

These are cool, they are push-in thingy's for wire ties, I'm going to use them to keep the harness out of the way.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:42 PM   #260 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Rubbers for the switches.

350 AMP quick connectors for front and rear, bought an extra one right off the bat for plug-in jumper cables

My favorite things ~ rectangular LEDs, two red, two amber. I'm going to mount them pointing up, two per side, one right on top of each other ~ so they resemble stock SII brake lights ~ well, as much as they could.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #261 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
I went throught the question of where to mount my ECU, I tried to put it on to p of the glove box, but ultimately stuck in in the glovebox.

Quote:
I think I would of went propane instead of having to do all the wiring and worrying about getting shit wet...
The wiring really isn't that bad, everything is labeled and the sensor wires have connectors installed.
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #262 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I'll agree, if I didn't want the wiring to turn out better than Snoopy's, it would be 10x easier to do...and be much quicker to boot. But when one of my buddies was helping do Snoopy's wiring, he ran some of the wires in really dump places (like through the upper pedal assembly) and that led to a short or two.

The AFI harness is real nice ~ it already being in wrap ~ some of the lengths are generic, but it seems that they are about the right length anyway..

Like I said, if I didn't want it to look nice, Rusty would be running.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #263 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Three cheers for Norm!!!

HIP HIP ~

Horray

HIP HIP ~

Horray

HIP HIP ~ HORRRRAAAYYY!

Norm got it out asap despite having some problems with the new shop (they are still getting settled in).

BTW ~ this is the new 4bbl spacer plate. Norm tells me that it's more efficient and fits over either a spread or square bore 4bbl manifold. Looking good. Nice to have new gaskets as well
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #264 (permalink)

Member # 27575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Three cheers for Norm!!!

HIP HIP ~

Horray

HIP HIP ~

Horray

HIP HIP ~ HORRRRAAAYYY!

Norm got it out asap despite having some problems with the new shop (they are still getting settled in).
Sweet

Last edited by Diesel Smoke; 10-14-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Diesel Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #265 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
Three cheers for Norm!!!
HIP HIP ~

Horray

BTW ~ this is the new 4bbl spacer plate. Norm tells me that it's more efficient and fits over either a spread or square bore 4bbl manifold. Looking good. Nice to have new gaskets as well
Hmmm.. looks like it has an open center on the bottom.. wouldn't that lead to a bit of a weak "signal" and make your stock dual-plane (low to mid rpm) intake more like a single-plane/open plenum unit (mid-high RPM)?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #266 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
So what you're saying is that you need one for your Race scout?

Really, It looks like it'll work to me...much better than the old design...so I'm going to run it, besides, with 125:1, I'll be in the mid-high RPM range anyway.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #267 (permalink)

Member # 2071
Send a message via AIM to tsm1mt
Quote:
So what you're saying is that you need one for your Race scout?

Really, It looks like it'll work to me...much better than the old design...so I'm going to run it, besides, with 125:1, I'll be in the mid-high RPM range anyway.
LOL. I need a big single-plane aluminum intake and THEN I'll think about the 2" open spacer, too..

Just thinking that the design may be less than *optimal* on the adapter.

Probably work just fine, and the fuelie can probably make up for any weak signal at low RPMs, but I think it would be *better* if the little rib in the middle divided both sides of the intake with a single "rib" running front to back between the two throttle bores.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 AM   #268 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Got the new PS pump can today ~ this one has a -10 fitting TIG welded into it to supply the boosted pump.

Humvee Battery terminals came in as well

Time to get it running!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #269 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Got more toys

203/D300 doubler

Battery is now hooked up.

BatteryBox all sealed up and wires ran.

Simple pleasures, clock works ~ yes, it's still keeping time. super-

Test #1: determines if there is anything really bad ~ turn on the headlights/taillights and see if they glow

Super-Duper-

I also tested the AC compressor ~ check.

I started triggering the starter ~ check.

Then I removed the Throttle body and sprayed some starting fluid in it...to see if it'd fire up. "click" - "crank" - "crank" - "vrooOOMM!"

Super-DEE-Duper-
Old 10-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #270 (permalink)

Member # 27575
Quote:
I also tested the AC compressor ~ check.

I started triggering the starter ~ check.

Then I removed the Throttle body and sprayed some starting fluid in it...to see if it'd fire up. "click" - "crank" - "crank" - "vrooOOMM!"

Super-DEE-Duper-
So how long has it been since you had fire in it? That first fire is always the sweetest!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #271 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
To dang long... About a year. I didn't let it rev up, I just wanted to see if it'd kick, and it did ~ QUICKLY! I had turned it over a couple times before firing it, but I barely let it start before shutting it right back down.

I know, I know, I should have done this, or that, and primed this, and that ~ but to be honest, it!
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #272 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Speaking of which, I REALLY NEED TO FIND A DODGE 203 for cheap. One that came behind the TF727. Anyone have one they want to trade product or $$ for?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #273 (permalink)

Member # 40702
Seen a Dodge 203 in a Byers junkyard sitting on a shelf, ready to go. What am I looking for? Numbers? Pattern?
TheCopperCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #274 (permalink)

Member # 11594
Send a message via AIM to slipscomb Send a message via MSN to slipscomb Send a message via Yahoo to slipscomb
Quote:
Got more toys

203/D300 doubler

Super-DEE-Duper-
I'm soo jealous!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #275 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
You better be ~ I mean, that's why I'm building Rusty. To make YOU jealous!

Oh wait, you already have one of those.... DOH!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in