New project? - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2005, 10:41 PM   #126 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
I'm used the Urethane between the compartment walls and tube work to make sure any 'rattling' is kept to a minimum ~ I will say that the addition of the filler really helped that already ~ my goal is to completely elliminate it ~ and the 'thom' sound when you beat on the metal sides of the storage compartments.

After that, I'll use the Urethane on the insides of the main 'big' compartment, and then spray/roll it with the Duplicolor truck-bed coating I used on Snoopy ~ to keep the metal-on-metal sounds down and further lessen the possibility of noise ~

I'm not going to use this urethane again ~ its still tacky and its making me ~ they guys at Sherwin Williams said it'd cure, but be plyable ~ now they are telling me it may be tacky forever . I'll give it another couple days and see where it goes ~ If/After this stuff cures I'm going to get some bed liner for it. ~ should look pretty nice..

I also installed the rear compartment's hinged lid ~ there are three 3-inch hinges (got from Ace) to support it ~ I'm going to add a latch later.

Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Thats a great idea. Storage seems to be a forgoten feature in a lot of custom built trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #128 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Dame...

The best stuff to use for what you want to do is called BOSTIK. It is available in black or white. It is an automotive sealant/adhesive. We used it on all the RV's we manufactured when I worked at WRV.COM.

It is also used by car manufacturers to attach panels and body pieces. For it cures within a couple of hours since it is Xylene based. Then it retains it's poly base flexibility for life.

I used it to assemble some prototype high performance softball bats that I designed and it is still flexible right now sitting on my desk. That was about 5 years ago.

Check it out...every garage should have some...BOSTIK
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM   #129 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Well, Rusty's tube work in the back is done ~ almost finished the metal work as well ~ but I still needed to put a few things in place so that I can call the back end complete. First big thing was the fuel cell mounts. I modified the Summit-supplied stuff for my mounting and then welded the brackets to the tube work ~

...came out nice ~ should by pleanty sturdy.

Then came the bump-stop for the center of the axle...

Then put the door on the rear storage area...

Them preped the tube/metal work for some paint...

Must not turn tire redish
Old 02-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #130 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Found some primer ~ I knew I had the right stuff, it has rusty's name on it!

Started primering things

Got overspray

Got red?

BRIGHT LIGHT ~ BRIGHT LIGHT!

Old 02-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #131 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Ok ~ just so we know ~ I asked the paint question (see other thread) before leaving the office. I have 2 cans of this Rustoleum but its initial 'softness' scares me. Since the place I painted red will end-up bed-lined, I figure its a good place to test and see how hard this paint will be when its dry.

The primer went down pretty thick so I'm going to let it dry a bit and then sand it a little before painting. I figure the paint should be pretty dry by monday ~ so we'll see how it all works out.

Other than that ~ that was my weekend's work on Rusty.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 PM   #132 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Well, I couldn't help myself. Having all the this red paint around made me do it. Ya, I painted the back of Rusty.

Then I stopped at the local truck shop for a good way to secure my new storage compartments. Found these ~ they even have the same key!

Seemed to looked pretty nice in my head :crazy: ~ so I installed them.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 29450
SWEET!
dukguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 20057
It's looking great man.

damn I wish I had $$$ and time to build me another rig (just sold my wagon) and the scout will be gone within the month...

Last edited by robselina; 02-15-2005 at 10:50 PM.
robselina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
Oh, a bright red cage in an IH wheeler. How original

Just kidding

Looks great man. Dont be surprised if you get a visit from a ragged bunch of wheelers after the utah crawl next month.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2005, 08:19 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 25913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Well, I couldn't help myself. Having all the this red paint around made me do it. Ya, I painted the back of Rusty.

Then I stopped at the local truck shop for a good way to secure my new storage compartments. Found these ~ they even have the same key!

Seemed to looked pretty nice in my head :crazy: ~ so I installed them.

What's the length and width on those latches, and what kinda truck shop did you find them at (semi truck?) My buddy is looking for some latches but all the ones he found were to big.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 12121
Send a message via MSN to Sully Send a message via Yahoo to Sully
I dig it Damian! It's coming together really nicely!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #138 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
What's the length and width on those latches, and what kinda truck shop did you find them at (semi truck?) My buddy is looking for some latches but all the ones he found were to big.
They are paddle handles (acording to the packages). But McMaster Carr has them labeled "Recessed-Handle Paddle Latches". The version is pictured in illustration #1, Page 2795, Catalog 111, PN 11585a73 ~ lists them at $38 each, and measure 4" x 5" x2"

But I found them at Layton Truck for $10.25 each. Layton is the place for customizing commercial trucks around here. ~ meaning they specialize in putting flat and utility beds on SuperDuties ~ they also have parts and peices ~ which is the isle I found them in ~ they had big, medium and small ~ these were the medium ones.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #139 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Quote:
Originally Posted by binderbound
Dont be surprised if you get a visit from a ragged bunch of wheelers after the utah crawl next month.
Bring it awn!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 20057
BTT, this thread needs an update!
robselina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #141 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Pictures in the camera...ok I'll take it home and do some updating.

EDIT: Funny the way things happen. I went home that night, all of a sudden got the chills and next thing I knew I had a 101.4 temperature and still getting the chills. Two day's later I'm feeling better.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #142 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Well its time to update this thread....so here we go.

In lue of working in the passenger compartment, I decided to prep the front end for the pending tube work.

kept the skins for future use

I picked up the D60 from ChiScouter a bit ago, put it under the front end. Put the tires on it to take measurements and put the axle at ride hieght.

Wheel Base is tentively 110-112" I'm looking to shorten it a touch, but we'll see. I kinda like the tire sticking in front of the frame a couple inches.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #143 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
Next was to find out how I was going to route the Sway-A-Way Coil-overs. I got these little bad-boys from Scott @ RockBuggySupply.com ~ they're freakin awesome ~ shipped QUICK and got the whole package for a sweet deal ~ THANKS SCOTT!!!

Pulled the tires and started experimenting with positioning. I'm going to lay them back a little so I can mount them behind the Alt/AC compressor. Got to get the axle placed so I know were to put the tube in front.

The shocks are not going to be laid back that much, picture them a bit closer to the AC and you'll get where I'm going to put them. Not sure if I'm going to have to knock out the hood to put them up through it...don't think so, but we'll see.

I' also turned the knuckles to full lock to make sure my track-bar and mounting wouldn't interfere with anything else.

After everything looked good, I tore the axle apart and had it blasted.

After getting the axle back and in place, I started mounting the link and track-bar braketry. Looking good so far.

Here's a closer shot

More pictures coming after I properly gusset those brackets up and mount some links.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 44544
hay I just joind here and was addmiring you work. I cerently work in and auto repir shop called moris auto in keller texas I am sick of the same old water pump gone bad car needs tunu up crap and want to open up my own shop that is more of the custom type place. I do have some experiance build ing race cars and tube chacies but nothing to your extence.

my question for you is how hard is it to start a new shop and what are some pointers you can give me

It will probably be a few years befor I tackle this task so by that tyme my skill levle will have grown

thanks for any help you can lend me.
mr.tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2005, 10:33 PM   #145 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 26369
Send a message via Yahoo to Urban Wheeler
Maybe you should start with proper spelling and grammar
Urban Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2005, 06:04 AM   #146 (permalink)

Member # 44544
goog idea... but after that.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:50 AM   #147 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 8293
Send a message via AIM to chumly2071 Send a message via Yahoo to chumly2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
a good place to look for stuff like that is a place called Moore Industrial Hdw. their website is kinda lame, but they carry tons of stuff like those latches, heavy duty hinges, etc for trucks.

http://www.mooreindhardware.com/
chumly2071 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #148 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tech
goog idea... but after that.
Calling yourself Mr Tech, taking spelling lessons from the chief, and asking for info on how to set up a shop in the IH forum is a pretty sure way for a difficult start here. Ask your shop questions in another forum and at least try to make an effort to spell at a 1st grade level
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2005, 07:56 AM   #149 (permalink)

Member # 44544
sorry the Q was for Snoopy. this was not the best place to post this.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #150 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 5650
1) don't care what others think, unless your work sucks. C-I-P: I took my first bumper to the hollister thingy in 99 and everyone said they sucked. So I asked what I should do, and they told me...I modified the bumper a tiny bit, and presto.
2) Establish yourself. Build your own. Do a good job. Don't do a bad job.
3) when you start, get QuickBooks or some other program and keep track of things. My first years were years of paying the bank it's fees. Know where you are financially and you'll save yourself 90% of the heartache I went through.
4) If you think you're shop is too small, work smarter. I went from 1600 to 4300 thinking I could fill it. I did for a while, but found (2 yrs later) that I could schedule better and live with a smaller shop. I can still fill the 4300 sq ft shop, but instead I'm working smarter and saving $4k per MONTH in overhead.
5) Learn to hate what you love. Everything becomes a job. If you do it long enough you'll start getting tired of it. I sometimes dream of being the welcome guy at Walmart ~ all I have to do is smile and line up shopping carts. I usually snap back into reality pretty quick but I"m not going to lie and say that its all roses and flowers. The reason Rusty isn't done is simple, at the end of the day it takes a lot of effort to 'get-r-done' when I'd rather go home and sleep.

FYI: Today I'm having a crappy day, so excuse the negative sediment, but you need to know its not all fun and games in this arena.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in