Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   International Harvester (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New project? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226643)

Snoopy 02-26-2004 11:17 AM

Rusty project?

Well, don't hold your breath, but I may have a new project.

Now that Snoopy is safe and sound at his new home, I've got no wheeler. Then, of course, the RMB crew started talking about the annual Moab trip.

At first I consigned myself to *utter* dispare, but life has been breathed back into my sails. First I'm going to say SORRY to the 80/800 crew. I'd love to build another Scout 800, but I've only got a Scout II....soooo....

Anyway, I was trying to sell this Scout, but the buyer backed out. Its a 79 SII, w/ a real powerfull 345 w/ 4bbl. The buyer wanted me to do some work to it before we let it go...and now that it has new steering, alt and heater ~ it seems he has completely backed out. :mad: ~ Oh well.

Here's a couple of begining pictures for you.
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/IMG_2737.jpg
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/IMG_2736.jpg
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/IMG_2738.jpg

Here's the plans:

Comp SOA w/ 2" Lift springs with some 37s. I've found a set of Full Width axles (44/60) w/ 4.56 and detroits already (even has flattops on them!).

I've got a rebuilt TF727 that I'm going to throw a RV gearset into for some extra gearing. I'd like to get a Scout D20 w/ the tera-low set in it, so if anyone knows of one, please let me know. I'm going to finish it off with my Tera-top (still haven't sold it) and a custom cage and bumpers.

The biggest problem I have is with the wheels/tires. Which are going to be the most expensive part of this. I may have found some 16x7 rims (just plain steel) to keep the width down to a min, and I have a couple guys with 35-37 BFG Krawlers and Goodyear MTRs...so I'll have to see how that play's out. Considering that I only have till mid-April to get this done, it'll be a rather short buildup for me (only 1.9 months)

It'd be nice to go to Moab this year. We'll see.

Speaking of which, I'd like to find a couple things and would like your help.
  • Tera-low for D20 (automatic if possible)
  • Ram for ram assist
  • Wheels and tires. I'd like to go with 37s, but I'm open to anything from 35-37 that I can get cheap...but with good tread.

I think I've got the rest covered ~ thanks.

Old Scout 02-26-2004 11:21 AM

If your going to tear into the trans for the low gear set, why not goto the round 23 spline pattern for a jeep 300!

Snoopy 02-26-2004 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Scout
If your going to tear into the trans for the low gear set, why not goto the round 23 spline pattern for a jeep 300!
Because then I have to find the donor trans:rolleyes:

;)

Old Scout 02-26-2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Snoopy

Because then I have to find the donor trans:rolleyes:

Yea your right, waggy's and J-10s are extremely rare. I never trip over them at my local pic-n-pull. :flipoff2:

Hammerlock 02-27-2004 11:35 AM

No need for rv gears if you're gonna use a tera-gear d20 and an auto. With the money you'll spend on rv gears and the terad20 you could buy something decent. :flipoff2:

Snoopy 02-27-2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Old Scout

Yea your right, waggy's and J-10s are extremely rare. I never trip over them at my local pic-n-pull. :flipoff2:

It's not finding them, its pulling the suckers apart and draggin the thing around town...

Snoopy 02-27-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hammerlock
With the money you'll spend on rv gears and the terad20 you could buy something decent. :flipoff2:
Ya, I was going to buy a Porsche, but....then I'd be like those guys who buy Scout's to hide their addiction to Rovers.:D :p :D :p

Snoopy 02-27-2004 03:52 PM

SCORE!

I just arranged the aquasition of 4 37x12.50x17 GY MTRs for....

NOTHING!:p ;) :p :D ;) :p :) :cool:

Snoopy 03-04-2004 10:03 AM

Axles secured.

Well last night I picked up the axles.

D60/D44 combo, full width, 4.56 and full detroits front and back. I'm going with Hysteer ~ I wanted to go with Hydro-assist, but can't spare the $$ right now...maybe tommorow:D :p :D

Just kidding. I do have the tires and now that I've got the axles, I can get the wheels coming.

Here's to making it to Moab this year :root::beer:

Snoopy 04-28-2004 09:41 AM

Plans change ~ a couple guys came in, saw my tires and made me an offer I couldn't refuse ~ Same with the axles....or well.

Oh and thanks to a freakin jerk that goes by Led, they have changed a ton. Here's the list now;
  • D.U.I. Performance Distributor w/ LiveWire wires, plugs and tuned (already installed)
  • Rebuilt TF727 (already got it)
  • Rebuilt D20 (w/ 3.15 Tera Low gears)
  • TwinStick T-case
  • D44/9" axle combo (63" WMW), completely rebuilt, 4.27 gears, Detroits front and rear (rebuiding the axles now)
  • 36x12.50 SuperSwamper TSLs on 15x8 steel wheels (getitng the tires used 50% tread, already have the wheels)
  • Front suspension is going to be our 3-link w/ coils, 36" shocks (getting parts from metal place today/tomorrow)
  • Rear suspension is going to be our CAD designed 4-link, with coil-over-shocks (if anyone has any coil-overs that are slightly used and/or cheap, let me know)
  • Brand new power steering (pump, box, lines ~ already in)
  • Hydralic Assist w/ 1.5" Ram, lines, cooler
  • Corbeau BajaSS Utra race seats
  • Fuel Cell
  • Custom front *stinger* bumper ~ I'm going to be cutting out the innerfenders like I did Snoopy and attach the front bumper to them...which will extend back to the firewall, then to the back cage.
  • Custom built rear tube-chassis (I don't have any of my designs scanned yet, but its going to be freakin sweet ~ even my wife thought it was cool :eek:

Thats about it for now.

RustoleumWhite 04-28-2004 12:34 PM

Or you could SOA it, cut the fenders and wheel it rather than dumping a shit load of money into it liek you did snoopy then having to sell it....

Not to mention you could be wheeling next weekend that way.

just a thought :flipoff2:

tsm1mt 04-28-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustoleumWhite
Or you could SOA it, cut the fenders and wheel it rather than dumping a shit load of money into it liek you did snoopy then having to sell it....

just a thought :flipoff2:

Because that would be bad for business!

If anyone found out you could just do a "yawn, simple" SOA, cut the fenders, and wheel it, why would they pay for a 1/4-eliptical coil-over 3-4link Atari-bar super-duper build-up instead?

It'd be just like driving a Jeep everyday to your "Scout customizing shop".. "Oh yeah, Scouts are the greatest thing ever.. but I still prefer to drive my (inferior?) Jeep everywhere.."
:confused:

Gen. Nonsense 04-28-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Cause wheeling is not fun. Dont you know anything? :shaking: :flipoff2:

Snoopy 04-28-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Snoopy was a sacrafice to the heathen gods of credit and 30-day accounts. Snoopy's sale got the shop completely out of debt! ~ well, we still owe UPS $180, but thats in the middle of May. But now-a-days the shop is all COD ~ except for a few shipping accounts.

Quote:

I've often thought of that ~ but I'm one of those guys that likes buiding stuff. Wheeling is cool and all, but the adventure is in the build. :cool2:

I know ~ I'm a looser.

tsm1mt 04-28-2004 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I've often thought of that ~ but I'm one of those guys that likes buiding stuff. Wheeling is cool and all, but the adventure is in the build. :cool2:

Yeah, but you can build this one real quick like, because you still have that Project Rock Racer to build to keep you occupied. :D

Once you get that one finished, THEN you go back to this one and upgrade the things you think need improved.. then go back and upgrade the Rock Racer.. repeat until you can't afford to upgrade any more, or you've destroyed them to the point it's just stupid to fix 'em.

At that point, start on another!

Snoopy 04-28-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsm1mt
Because that would be bad for business!

If anyone found out you could just do a "yawn, simple" SOA, cut the fenders, and wheel it, why would they pay for a 1/4-eliptical coil-over 3-4link Atari-bar super-duper build-up instead?

DAYUM RIGHT! Lets be honest, here its all about the bling ~ who cares if it goes wheelin'!

Quote:

It'd be just like driving a Jeep everyday to your "Scout customizing shop".. "Oh yeah, Scouts are the greatest thing ever.. but I still prefer to drive my (inferior?) Jeep everywhere.."
:confused:
Actually, I drive this exact Scout to work everyday! I was driving it without tags, but I wanted to get it tagged before I cut it apart in case they wanted to do an inspection.

Snoopy 04-28-2004 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsm1mt
Yeah, but you can build this one real quick like, because you still have that Project Rock Racer to build to keep you occupied. :D

Heheheh ~ ya, thats true, but if I build this one Rock-Buggy like, then I'll have the 2nd generation fixes fixed in a 1st generation buggy.

Quote:

Once you get that one finished, THEN you go back to this one and upgrade the things you think need improved.. then go back and upgrade the Rock Racer.. repeat until you can't afford to upgrade any more, or you've destroyed them to the point it's just stupid to fix 'em.
I like your thinking ~ but you're not thinking about it like a broke guy ~ Snoopy paid off the Shop, This one ~ and possibly one after it ~ will pay for RockBinder before I even start on it....or....at least get me off to a great start!
:grinpimp:

offroader1006 04-28-2004 05:28 PM

yeah, i'd def like to see a cutting edge scout put together,
and not another backyard masterpiece

a SOA plain jane scout wouldn't entice me to do business with you

but a phat-nasty scout like snoopy would

and why would you want to go from building snoopy, to just a regular leaf sprung truck?

youve got the experience, why not build on it further

tsm1mt 04-28-2004 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroader1006
yeah, i'd def like to see a cutting edge scout put together,
and not another backyard masterpiece

a SOA plain jane scout wouldn't entice me to do business with you

but a phat-nasty scout like snoopy would

and why would you want to go from building snoopy, to just a regular leaf sprung truck?

Well, there are a number of "professionals" and more experienced hacks that have BTDT on the tube-chassis monster creation.. then sold it, bought a full bodied SUV, put a small/moderate lift on it and some 35s, and are having a BLAST.. more so than in their bling-bling gee-whiz creations.

K.I.S.S.

Not to say my trail rig is anything worth writing home about.. but I often have MORE fun riding shotgun with my wife in her stock Scout 800.. or taking my stock Travelall out, and just *out driving* everyone else.

It's easy for them to whine, "OH, it's the big tires and the lockers.. that's why we can't follow you".. except when they get shown up by my open-diff highway-cruiser with All-terrains..

:flipoff2:

offroader1006 04-28-2004 06:00 PM

yeah, but its should sell stuff when people see it

Berd 04-28-2004 11:38 PM

I say go for it, I'd do all that super bling shit if I knew how or could afford it.

Snoopy 04-29-2004 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by offroader1006

Now your talking. Think of it this way; today we're finishing up an SOA on a Denver Scout, and putting a cage in a Traveller (and the Scout II as well). As soon as we're done doing that we'll be getting another rig in here for an SOA...then after that, a guy would like to have us do some more SOA type stuff.

Simple fact, doing SOA's is *work*. Doing something like Snoopy, or a rig like I plan Rusty to be, is fun, interesting and lets me excersize my imagination a little bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berd
I say go for it, I'd do all that super bling shit if I knew how or could afford it.

And for those of you who think I'm just throwing money into nothing ~ or that I can simply 'afford' to build bling-bling things ~ I'm not/can't. I mean, add it up, we'll have tube..... more tube..... some more tube.... axle rebuild kits and lockers (which I bought when I sold the 44/60 combo), etc. The most expensive part of Rusty will be the coil-overs (still looking for a good used set ~ hint hint), link parts (when I finally get them out of my machinist), coils, tires and the tera-low kit.

I've got a line on two sets of 36s ~ one for about $300 and may be able to trade cage work for the other, a SWEET deal on the Tera stuff, and I'm currently investigating the Coil-overs.

Meanwhile, I'll scan my drawings into the computer this afternoon and post them ~ I freakin dig what this scout is going to end up like.

Snoopy 04-29-2004 02:17 PM

Here are some of the drawings for Project *Rusty* ~ there is a side-view and then two top views, the first top view is the upper cage structure, the second (with wheels and seats) is the lower base cage structure.

I'm going with coil-over shocks in back ~ looking at a 14-16" travel version. I've contacted a couple of the known shock guys here on this board for some prices, we'll see who comes up with the best value.
:cool2:

Snoopy 04-29-2004 02:44 PM

Here are the drawings for *Rusty* ~

Side view:
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/rusty1.jpg

Top View (Base level w/ seats and tentative interior layout)
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/rusty2.jpg

Top View (Upper tube structure only, this is just above the seats
http://www.dandcextreme.com/upload/rusty3.jpg

These are had drawings, without rulers or anything like that ~ so go figure, they aren't to dimension.

binderbound 04-29-2004 05:13 PM

I dont know if I care for the big holes over the driver and passenger heads. Are you gonna skin the top? that would make me feel better.