NC Scout LS swap -newb - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 232365
use adhuntr.com
it checks all craigslist adds in all states with one search
Glennwoudenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwoudenberg View Post
use adhuntr.com
it checks all craigslist adds in all states with one search
This. Is. Gold. Thanks man
NC_Scouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 232365
Looks like you got the anything scout trans support? I added this which made passing the exhaust past it very easy and no need to get exhaust pipe too close to the body if you are going 2 into 1 3" exhaust
Attached Images

Last edited by Glennwoudenberg; 12-03-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 232365
a quick check on car-part.com showed lots of suburban 1990-1991 np241 transfer cases
you need to do the homework to find one that is passenger drop.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 637097
New Trans in the driveway!

Rebuilt trans delivered! 4l60 with upgraded internals. Now for the transfer case I can't decide if I want to go Atlas or find a used Np241 and have it rebuilt... any thoughts from the Pirate community? Other than obvious reasons, is the Atlas worth the $$ for my specific needs. Reminder: Scout will be used as a light trail rig for camping and Uwharrie National Forest. However, I have a feeling I'll be driving the scout on a daily basis so it will have road ready worthy as well. Goal is to get 35"-37" tires.
Attached Images

Last edited by NC_Scouts; 12-12-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
The HD Dodge cases are passenger drop and you can change the 29 spline input to the 32 spline petty easily. I'm putting the 5.7L Hemi/nv4500/np241C in mine and just finished taking out the 29 for the 32. There's less parasitic drag with a chain case and they're quieter. The 241 also has the 6 gear planetary vs the 3 of the np231.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 04:16 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
The HD Dodge cases are passenger drop and you can change the 29 spline input to the 32 spline petty easily. I'm putting the 5.7L Hemi/nv4500/np241C in mine and just finished taking out the 29 for the 32. There's less parasitic drag with a chain case and they're quieter. The 241 also has the 6 gear planetary vs the 3 of the np231.
awesome man! Thanks for your help. I know I need 27 spline and VSS to mate/work properly with the rest of my drive train. I do appreciate your help and will look further into this unit.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:31 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Shop Visit

Taking the Scout to my buddies shop to get ready for the LS engine and trans drop in! He has all sorts of toys and sick rigs I thought I'd share a few. This doesn't even touch the garage with race trucks and buggies....

On the trailer and ready to go!

Last edited by NC_Scouts; 12-13-2016 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #34 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Scouts View Post
Rebuilt trans delivered! 4l60 with upgraded internals. Now for the transfer case I can't decide if I want to go Atlas or find a used Np241 and have it rebuilt... any thoughts from the Pirate community? Other than obvious reasons, is the Atlas worth the $$ for my specific needs. Reminder: Scout will be used as a light trail rig for camping and Uwharrie National Forest. However, I have a feeling I'll be driving the scout on a daily basis so it will have road ready worthy as well. Goal is to get 35"-37" tires.
Several of options on the trans case.

The Dodge NP241 (as mentioned) swap 27 spline input (will need correct input parts to match the Dodge case mainly input bearing size as there was a change in early 90's) For the VSS you can swap a GM VSS and tone ring over into the Dodge output housing as well. The good thing with it is you can use the later RHD housing and tone ring as they aren't dependent on drop side. But you could just buy a SYE from JBconvertions for it and it has options for the GM VSS in the kit. That will help if you plan to lift it later rear driveshaft wise. Mine ended up with a high angle with the SOA and springs, as I placed my motor as far back I it would go.

Run a NP208. Not as sexy as the NP241 but works. These are common and dirt cheap. Use a speedo screw on VSS ($20-40). This option gets you on the road with no other parts. Plus if you find a NP241c later it bolts right in place. Con's are no SYE for it and some say not a strong.

Find the GM NP241c RHD if you have time to search.

I wish I would have bought all them I could find 15 yrs ago. They were cheap then now they are getting harder to find with the LS swaps now.

Be nice if there was a drives side front axle that bolted into a Scout II. The NP241 LHD are way more common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bo185; 12-13-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 208352
Quote:
awesome man! Thanks for your help. I know I need 27 spline and VSS to mate/work properly with the rest of my drive train. I do appreciate your help and will look further into this unit.
No prob man. Dodges came with 23/29 splines if I recall correctly. I haven't looked into my method of doing the speedo. I may look into doing a speedo that works on GPS so I don't have to jack with it. You may be able to do the same thing. I was looking at the Classic Instruments guages.....they're sexy.

I scored my np241C with SYE, double card an cv, and 1350 yoke for $200 a few moths ago

Last edited by 06silverback; 12-13-2016 at 12:54 PM.
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2016, 03:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
No prob man. Dodges came with 23/29 splines if I recall correctly. I haven't looked into my method of doing the speedo. I may look into doing a speedo that works on GPS so I don't have to jack with it. You may be able to do the same thing. I was looking at the Classic Instruments guages.....they're sexy.

I scored my np241C with SYE, double card an cv, and 1350 yoke for $200 a few moths ago

I agree... I love the classic guages. I actually had someone email me last night with a pass side drop but he wants $500 for it seems a bit pricey for a 15 year old transfer case with unknown mileage.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 637097
LS in it's new home

In she goes!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm addicted.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 637097
So I recently found my NP241 passdrop transfer case. I attempted to install it over the weekend and quickly realized the transmission adapter on the tail housing was only 5 bolts instead of 6. So I purchased the necessary adapter and all the bolts lined up for the transfer case perfectly. HOWEVER... I had already burned in the Anything Scout engine mounts and transmission crossmember (which aligned perfectly with the old adapter) and now the transmission adapter mount bolts DO NOT align with the existing bolt holes. Crap. It's not far off which is even more aggravating. Before I cut and grind out the mounts I just installed I was hoping to see if anyone had any suggestions.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
I would try to die grind the holes over and use a weld washer underneath to keep it from moving.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50690
Send a message via MSN to jemarshall
That's to close to the edge to just open up the hole, time to break out the die grinder....

Quote:
What ever you do, please do not suck start a shot gun.

Stick it up your ass...that way you're likely to hit something vital.
jemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 48545
Never burn anything in till after mock up is complete and you know everything you have works. The 5 bolt is for an S10 or Sblazer IIR.

I would either remove mount move to were it needs to go reweld. Take a min or to longer but be done with it.

Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 46467
I bought a 4.5" Dewalt plasma cutter to remove welds

you can put a piece of copper on the back of a hole and fill it up with a welder and re drill, not sure if that will help you or not. But I've done that a few times.
I pick up a piece of 1/4 flat bar copper about 3x3 and it works great for welding holes shut.

I'm in the process of a putting a 6.0 LQ4 into my pickup.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by R290 View Post
I bought a 4.5" Dewalt plasma cutter to remove welds

you can put a piece of copper on the back of a hole and fill it up with a welder and re drill, not sure if that will help you or not. But I've done that a few times.
I pick up a piece of 1/4 flat bar copper about 3x3 and it works great for welding holes shut.

I'm in the process of a putting a 6.0 LQ4 into my pickup.

haha I've since then made the same purchase. Thanks for the good advice. That 6.0 is an awesome enginge!
Old 08-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Project Update

It's been awhile since my last post. Work and a newborn will do that to ya .. I've made little progress but I'm back at it again but need help. I would love to have this thing running and driving in the next couple of months. I can't wait to hear this thing run!

Progress:
- Transmission, engine, and transfer case are in and wired

What needs to be done:
- I need to purchase gauges (I was thinking Dakota Digital vhx - 1050) I've already cnc'd a new gauge panel to fit universal gauges)
- I need to purchase custom drive shafts. recommendations?
- I purchased a new poly fuel tank but need a fuel delivery for the LS. HELP
- I also need help on converting to power steering. I have no clue what to do here.. pics below of what I currently have.
- Should I run a/c? I have the compressor from the LS

Thanks for everyone's help

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Quote:
It's been awhile since my last post. Work and a newborn will do that to ya .. I've made little progress but I'm back at it again but need help. I would love to have this thing running and driving in the next couple of months. I can't wait to hear this thing run!

Progress:
- Transmission, engine, and transfer case are in and wired

What needs to be done:
- I need to purchase gauges (I was thinking Dakota Digital vhx - 1050) I've already cnc'd a new gauge panel to fit universal gauges)
- I need to purchase custom drive shafts. recommendations?
- I purchased a new poly fuel tank but need a fuel delivery for the LS. HELP
- I also need help on converting to power steering. I have no clue what to do here.. pics below of what I currently have.
- Should I run a/c? I have the compressor from the LS

Thanks for everyone's help

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Carolina Driveline or Oliver's for driveshafts.

What tank do you have? An in-tank pump is the best option if you can.

I would run the factory pump from your engine, a scout2 ps box, and custom hoses. I might be interested in your manual box if your getting rid of it.

A/C is a factor of cost really. It is nice to have, but can get pricey and possibly tough to for, depending on what you was t the outcome to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 637097
[/QUOTE]What tank do you have? An in-tank pump is the best option if you can.

I would run the factory pump from your engine, a scout2 ps box, and custom hoses. I might be interested in your manual box if your getting rid of it.

A/C is a factor of cost really. It is nice to have, but can get pricey and possibly tough to for, depending on what you was t the outcome to be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

-I purchased a new poly tank that is exactly like the original tank from the scout. Is there a universal in-tank setup that with work with original scout tank?

- you are welcome to have the manual steering at no cost brother. I appreciate your help. I just need to find all the components to switch over to original power steering.

- this will be a top off kind of vehicle, I wasn't sure how much work it would be since the LS came with the compressor and fittings.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 AM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
Dont screw around with the old OEM air conditioning. Look at Vintage Air and see what they offer and for how much
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
Quote:

-I purchased a new poly tank that is exactly like the original tank from the scout. Is there a universal in-tank setup that with work with original scout tank?

- you are welcome to have the manual steering at no cost brother. I appreciate your help. I just need to find all the components to switch over to original power steering.

- this will be a top off kind of vehicle, I wasn't sure how much work it would be since the LS came with the compressor and fittings.

Thanks for the help
I'm not sure the stock scout tank is deep enough, but I like the Airtex M3501M for an intank pump. Will likely need to modify the tank for it to fit. You could as also run a Holley or Aeromotive intank pump or external pump using factory pickup. If going external, make sure the pump is below the tank and your feed line is big and free flowing. I also recommend using a return style system with an external pump.

Cardone 27-7520 is likely the cheapest way to get a reman box. If you are ok with a used box, you'll just have to search around. PSC rebuilds them too but more $$.

As mentioned, I would go with vintage air. Could possibly retrofit something but won't work as well. I might would just remove the factory comp or convert it to onboard air.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 31658
On my LS swap I used an E2000 inline fuel pump. 5 years and 45000 miles later it still works fine. I use the factory air conditioning with the gm compressor, just had the hoses modified.
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 770561
Excellent build and thank you for taking the time to photograph so much. I will be starting my Scout800 build soon also running a LS swap and this has been helpful. Keep up the good work.
GAIHScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in