NC Scout LS swap -newb - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2016, 04:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 637097
NC Scout LS swap -newb

Ok, part of the reason for this thread is to just show the progress of my build. The other part is to hopefully have some input from the veterans on this kind of stuff. I built an old drag boat once, but I've never done anything like this. Swapping out old technology for new, totally foreign to me. So, I guess the final reason for this thread is just to show that it can be done by a newb. Now I'd like to think I'm mechanically sound. I own a CNC shop in Raleigh and we do quite a bit of prototyping (still very different from this). I've been doing tons of research and will continue to do so, but like I said, I'm a total newb to this stuff and I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions along the way so bare with me. Anyways, enough of the BS and into the build.

I decided to jump on a 2 for 1 deal when I came across a couple Scout IIs, both for $2k. On one, the body was in pretty good shape with little to no rust, has primer so it needs paint and came with locked 245 and a very solid/clean interior. The second was covered in rust (flintstones style) with a SOA that terrified me and a locked international 392 (not factory). So I pondered what to do, jumped on this forum and asked around which lead me to the purchase of an LS lm4 5.3 out of a 2004 trailblazer with about 30k miles. It was complete pullout, computer and all for about $1,000. Would have liked to have gone 6.0, but this being my first build I set a budget (which I'm sure I'll shoot over in no time, but that's part of the fun). I kept the Scout with the good body/interior and parted, what I could, from the "rust bucket" scout. So now I have trim, glass, doors, hardtops, knobs for dayyyys. I sold the rustbucket for $1,100 on Craigslist and got the bulk of my cash back. Needless to say I was pretty happy about that. Where I screwed up was pull the Dana 44s from that one and swapping them with the smaller 35 on the one I kept.... Shit. So now I'm in the market for some Scout 44s. Ok, now that you know a bit of the history of this build I'll get to the good parts. Let me get some pictures together and that will be the next post. Stay tuned!
NC_Scouts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 400994
scout 800 on a SII chassis 5.3 LS

1966 Scout 800 redeaux - Binder Bench
emitchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 232365
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Scouts View Post
Ok, part of the reason for this thread is to just show the progress of my build. The other part is to hopefully have some input from the veterans on this kind of stuff. I built an old drag boat once, but I've never done anything like this. Swapping out old technology for new, totally foreign to me. So, I guess the final reason for this thread is just to show that it can be done by a newb. Now I'd like to think I'm mechanically sound. I own a CNC shop in Raleigh and we do quite a bit of prototyping (still very different from this). I've been doing tons of research and will continue to do so, but like I said, I'm a total newb to this stuff and I'm sure I'll have some dumb questions along the way so bare with me. Anyways, enough of the BS and into the build.

I decided to jump on a 2 for 1 deal when I came across a couple Scout IIs, both for $2k. On one, the body was in pretty good shape with little to no rust, has primer so it needs paint and came with locked 245 and a very solid/clean interior. The second was covered in rust (flintstones style) with a SOA that terrified me and a locked international 392 (not factory). So I pondered what to do, jumped on this forum and asked around which lead me to the purchase of an LS lm4 5.3 out of a 2004 trailblazer with about 30k miles. It was complete pullout, computer and all for about $1,000. Would have liked to have gone 6.0, but this being my first build I set a budget (which I'm sure I'll shoot over in no time, but that's part of the fun). I kept the Scout with the good body/interior and parted, what I could, from the "rust bucket" scout. So now I have trim, glass, doors, hardtops, knobs for dayyyys. I sold the rustbucket for $1,100 on Craigslist and got the bulk of my cash back. Needless to say I was pretty happy about that. Where I screwed up was pull the Dana 44s from that one and swapping them with the smaller 35 on the one I kept.... Shit. So now I'm in the market for some Scout 44s. Ok, now that you know a bit of the history of this build I'll get to the good parts. Let me get some pictures together and that will be the next post. Stay tuned!
I would look hard at the complete anything scout conversion kit. I am not associated with them, but if your time is worth anything at all and you want to knock it out quickly just spend the $3k for the whole mess and be done with it. I just finished mine and I am super happy with it. Unless trial and error and fabbing are your thing, no need to reinvent the wheel...
just my 2 cents...
Glennwoudenberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 215461
Do it man!

I'm just starting an LT1, 700R4, Dana 300, 5.38 gears in the Dana 44 and 14 bolt, new painless wire harness, painless LT1 harness, rock ram power steering, radiator, heater / AC, dash gauges... and whatever else I find along the way. My crawl ratio should go from about 18:1 to 43:1.

I'll probably start a build thread soon.. but it's needed. I have a bad piston ring in the stock 304, the 727 is burned up (inadequate cooling off road), and i have an LT1 with T56 sitting in the garage.
JoeScout74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 111910
Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Progress Update

I know its been awhile since my first post. My wife got sick and my world upside down but everything is back to "normal". Now that winter is pretty much here its time to get my ass in gear and the scout rolling! I have made little progress since my purchase but over the next few months its overhauling time.

Whats been done:
  • Scout has been completely disassembled and labeled.
  • I trashed all the old wires.
  • The scout tub was removed from the frame and cleaned
  • The frame has been cleaned, sanded, wire wheeled to death, and coated.
  • Old motor mounts have been removed and spots prepped for new mounts.
  • I've also purchase all the necessary mounts for the LS and Transmission swap.

Yanking the 6cyl paper weight....

Last edited by NC_Scouts; 11-21-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 637097
more pictures of my LS and Trans Mounts

Old 11-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Cutting off the old mounts..
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
WHEEEEEEEEEE!

Member # 22597
Send a message via AIM to gavan
If you need a hand with anything I hate scouts but I've helped build a couple. I'll probably just help because I'm eventually going to need some Cnc work
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavan View Post
If you need a hand with anything I hate scouts but I've helped build a couple. I'll probably just help because I'm eventually going to need some Cnc work
Heck yeah man! I'm all about that! Where are you located?
Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Need Help!

Its time to purchase the rest of my drive train! I have a Vortec 5.3 LM4 out of a 2004 Trailblazer with approximately 30K miles. I know I need to purchase a 1990-1991 NP241 Pass Drop transfer case but I'm having a hard time finding one. I found a refurbished one for $800 shipped with core charge but that seemed kind of high. I am now in the market for a transmission. I'm trying to decide on a 4l60e 4x4 vs a 4l80. I found a remanufactured 4l60e with upgraded HD parts (650hp rating) for $1,500. Also, I know I need a 27spline but is there a specific year I should be looking for??? ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
I build stuff

Member # 14561
My local auto recycler has a Send me an email when vehicle X arrives feature on their web site.

I set up notifications for 1990 and 1991, GMC and Chevy, Suburbans and Blazers (yeah 8 separate 'subscriptions')

Took about a month of waiting, but one finally showed up, I got there and the NP241PSD was still in it, I pulled it. $50.

I ordered a complete rebuild kit from the same place I got my SYE from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1970 Land Rover Series IIa 105". 5.3l L59, NV4500 MT8, NP241-C, F&R D110 Salisburies

Last edited by aloharover; 11-29-2016 at 11:27 AM.
aloharover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2016, 03:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharover View Post
My local auto recycler has a Send me an email when vehicle X arrives feature on their web site.

I set up notifications for 1990 and 1991, GMC and Chevy, Suburbans and Blazers (yeah 8 separate 'subscriptions')

Took about a month of waiting, but one finally showed up, I got there and the NP241PSD was still in it, I pulled it. $50.

I ordered a complete rebuild kit from the same place I got my SYE from.

That's great info man! I'll do that today. Thanks for your help. :beers:
Old 11-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
nice man
buddy and I restored one last winter frame swap
one was rusty bucket with good powertrain sd33T stick
and we got another one with good body and locked v8 from Idaho
swap it over and painted the frame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2016, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 637097
I'll say, having never done anything like this before, its been an experience but a ton of fun! I think I'm addicted...
Old 11-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Send a message via AIM to paradisePWoffrd
What are your plans for the scout? Stock style driver, lite wheeler, more hardcore?

I would recommend getting d44s from a Jeep or Chevy. I prefer the additional width and added caster. Also replacement parts arent such a pain to find.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 702090
Subscribed. Looks good! Cant wait to see the progress.
Smellyvikinghooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradisePWoffrd View Post
What are your plans for the scout? Stock style driver, lite wheeler, more hardcore?

I would recommend getting d44s from a Jeep or Chevy. I prefer the additional width and added caster. Also replacement parts arent such a pain to find.

Plans for the scout:
-My goal is to have an expedition/camping type setup.
-The scout needs to be able to get from point A to point B via common roads and be a capable unit as an off-road trail rig. If there is such a thing haha.

Also, I would kill to see a picture of your rig with those axels. I may wind up going that route. Any particular years I should look into?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 56831
IIRC, Here is a pic after we completed the swap years ago.

The chevy swap is almost bolt in for SOA and is ~69" WMS. d44 would be pre-80. A FSJ front axle is bolt in SUA and is 60-65" WMS. If you want to stay close to stock width and SUA, I would get a pre-80 wagoneer front axle, but it will be 6 lug. A J10 or cherokee axle will be a few inches wider. Chevy will be 6 or 8 lug. Any of these can get 5 lug swapped on if you want to retain the stock rear.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
search craigslist for transfer case and transfercase. There has been a pass drop 241 32 spline for sale on and off here for months for 50 bucks.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 637097
Your scout is awesome! Do these axels work with the transfer case pass drop setup?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 56831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Scouts View Post
Your scout is awesome! Do these axels work with the transfer case pass drop setup?
The 70s jeep and chevy are pass drop axles, so no issues. Ford and 90s+ Dodges were driver drop.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 637097
That's great info. Would you recommend the SOA? Thanks man
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 637097
That's great info. Would you recommend the SOA? Thanks man
Old 12-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 56831
I think it depends on the tire size. I believe that SOA rides better than lift springs, but has more axle wrap than SUA. We started with SOA and 4" triangle springs. It was too tall for the front driveshaft to fit with the short drivetrain. We took out some leafs and lowered it.

If I did it again, I would do SOA with a softer 2.5" spring. Something like YJs or the like. But I would run fullwidth again.

If you are planning to stay in the 31-33" tire size, I would get a waggy 44 front SUA with a 4" type spring. Convert the front to 5 lug and run the stock 44 rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in