Monster in a Shoebox Build- 66 Scout 800 - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Interesting thought. I assume you have had hydro assist before and had lag in response?

Reason I ask is because I have zero lag at speed, idle, etc. with assist. This is all with standard canned ham GM pump, rebuilt box that I tapped, and a pretty old ram.
I did have a lag in my 06 Tacoma, but got used to it. It was a PSC pump, 1.5" ram I think, and a tapped IFS box. I just figured with a larger motor and the suspension setup the way I did to go faster I wouldn't want any lag. My frame height is 18" with a negative angle of the uppers so it handles well at speed. Eventually this rig will pull my next buggy build on a trailer, so didn't want a lot of roll, ect
06silverback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
I did have a lag in my 06 Tacoma, but got used to it. It was a PSC pump, 1.5" ram I think, and a tapped IFS box. I just figured with a larger motor and the suspension setup the way I did to go faster I wouldn't want any lag. My frame height is 18" with a negative angle of the uppers so it handles well at speed. Eventually this rig will pull my next buggy build on a trailer, so didn't want a lot of roll, ect
Might have been that IFS box. I know nothing about them, so totally assuming out my ass, but I would guess it was that.

Your new set-up should be solid! And I still love your fender work man...
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
Might have been that IFS box. I know nothing about them, so totally assuming out my ass, but I would guess it was that.

Your new set-up should be solid! And I still love your fender work man...
Thanks, I appreciate it. The work on the motor has been frustratingly slow due to receiving pistons with damaged skirts. Last set I ordered only had 1 that was damaged, so refusing to ship them all back I just bought a single from Jegs. I've checked all the ring gaps and honed one cylinder wall that had a knick way up high. Another delay was finding a weight scale that went to .1 grams in order to balance all the pistons just right. As soon as I get that I'll be good to go with putting them all in the motor and button up the bottom end. I'm having the heads decked and gone thru just as a precaution.

In the meantime I have a jeep to backhalf (don't really wanna take on another project but it'll free up some $$ to finish this thing out).

Old 01-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
Nice work stretching/keeping the Scout wheel arches, I wish I had kept the Scout wheel arches on mine.
Agreed! I wish I would have taken the time to keep my original arches in stead of just enlarging the openings and bending a new lip.

Project looks great silverback!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IDScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
Agreed! I wish I would have taken the time to keep my original arches in stead of just enlarging the openings and bending a new lip.

Project looks great silverback!
Def makes the truck look longer than what it really is and more proportional with the bigger tires. As soon as my 2 scheduled projects for customers are done Iím going to roll it back in the shop to get it finished up. Maybe put in expanding foam insulation and metal on the interior of the shop before paint if I get enough tax $$ back
Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 773489
Subscribed! Great build!
Old 02-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 208352

Taking some time to put my motor together before anymore work on customer projects. I decided itíd be a good idea to remove the cam and lifters to check for any foreign material and give everything a coat of grease so I donít get a dry start. Thereís been confusion on the ARP torque specs on the rods, so I called Manley performance to verify. Pistons will go in this Saturday and Iíll have the heads back from machining next week.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 208352

Decided what the heck, I’ll do a cam. Jay Greene specializes in the GenIII Hemi and this is his mild thump cam. It gives the power in the range I need, good idle and I don’t have to switch to a heavier spring in the heads since it’s a low lift cam.

The Hemis main downfall is lifter failures that chew the cam up, so replaced the stock lifters with the pressure lubricated Johnson Hylifts.

Been rolling around ideas in my head on what to do for a rear bumper, so this is the start of it. Added another piece on the outside edge, because it didn’t look correct from the side of the truck. I will put the receiver tube in the middle of the rear of the frame and the bumper will have a cutout so it will slide over.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silverback View Post
That was my 2nd choice behind the sterling actually. I just felt like for the trucks intended use it was kinda a waste to go that large. Now if my plan was to thrash on it in the rocks it woulda no question on the 14B. Iím not disagreeing with you, I just felt going that large was outside the parameters for what Iím doing with it.
The problem is that most 60 rears are the same 30 splines at the spiders as a 44. I've seen two of them broken in surprisingly mild situations. At this point I'd just keep an eye out for a spare shaft or two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The problem is that most 60 rears are the same 30 splines at the spiders as a 44. I've seen two of them broken in surprisingly mild situations. At this point I'd just keep an eye out for a spare shaft or two.
Iím in agreement when itís a crawler type application, but this is a daily driver resto mod that will tow my buggy
Old 06-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 208352

ARP head studs went in, heads on, and chromoly pushrods in. I decided to use the stock valve covers as coil covers to get a little old school look to the engine bay. I sandblasted them after trimming things, primed/painted them, then took sandpaper over the script to bring out the bare metal. I wiped them down and used 3 coats of clear.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:07 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 35721
Man I'm digging the coil covers!! Might have to be in the to do list for me!!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Nothing rides like a well designed link suspension, not even factory radius arm stuff compares
Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 208352
Motor mounts fabbed and in:

Went ahead and decided to clock the t-case up:

Re-worked the trans tunnel to clear the case:

Plate cut out and hydroboost mounted for mock-up:
Old 10-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 208352

Ram air hood and cage almost finished (ran out of tubing)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in