Brake drum bi ding after bearing change, rear D44. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 852646
Brake drum bi ding after bearing change, rear D44.

Ran into a issue after installing new rear bearings on a D44 from a late 70s Scout ii

Got both the rear axles out, old bearings off and new timkin bearings and seals pressed on, both axles installed nicely with new 1/4 retainer plates. Used a press to separate the bearings and install the new ones. I did one side at a time, to eliminate any chance of getting the axles and drums mixed up.

Truck is on axle stands, both t-case and gear box are in neutral.
Both axles spin freely without brake drums or wheels on.
Both axles spin freely with both brake drums on.
Both axles spin freely with both brake drums on and only the passenger side wheel on.
Neither axle spins freely with the drivers side wheel on.

If I back the wheel nuts off off on the drivers side both axles will spin, but they bind up when the drivers side (only the drivers side) wheel is tightened. Passenger side is fine, only happening on the drivers side.

Best set I can figure is the drivers side axle is now sitting about 1/8 inwards from the previous bearing setup, and the brake drum is binding either against the brake cover plate, or the outer lip of the brake shoes are binding against the drum face.

no idea how to fix this other than a spacer between the axle flange and the inside of the brake drum. Not sure if thats the safest route.

Anyone ever have have to deal with something like this before?
Iron mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
I would take it all back off and re-check your bearing install.

I havn't had a 44 rear for a really long time, so I don't recall the stacking order, or the plate thickness...

BUT since you are binding when you suck the drums to the axle...that is your answer.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in