Wheeling Update 10/27/2018 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
Wheeling Update 10/27/2018

We have a wheeling area near me that was re-opened up for a couple of years now with much work between the user group and the DNR. It is gated at night and has "regular business hours"...

All the trails are "man made" with the work being planned, designed, and excavated with the approval of the DNR. Unfortunately, people are still fucking dickwads and are creating bypasses, illegal tie-ins, off trail entry points, etc. So we have work parties that help clean up and maintain the trails.

Here we are heading out to the top of one of the trails to drop in from the high side and start working on placing logs to create a curb of sorts. This helps to keep people from sliding too far off of the trail when slick and sliding towards the downhill side.
Name:  IMG_7333.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  94.3 KB

Part of the group here doing a bit of rock bar work and log moving.
Name:  IMG_7340.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  132.1 KB

This section of trail is pretty great. It was really starting to suffer from dig outs and not being able to climb up the horizontal log step in the background. So we rock bar and maneuvered some pretty big stones into place to create a still difficult, but more usable lead in. I'll post video later of the finished approach.
Name:  IMG_7345.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  93.1 KB

We did some wheeling and crawling around for a bit during and after the work. Here is my younger 18yo son in the front and his little Filipino buddy who has never really been in the mountains, let alone in a 4x4, or on a trail. He really shit himself in a couple spots.
Name:  IMG_7338.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  121.0 KB

When I assembled the Hummer or H2 rims and the Federal Couragia MT's together I used short metal valve stems...FUUUUUCCCCKKKK. With the massive 5.5 inch backspacing the valve stem as well as the hubs are left out close to the face of the rims. As a result the valve stems are like fingers just waiting to grab rocks.
Name:  IMG_7350.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  137.7 KB

The front passenger valve stem got snapped right as I was spanking the newly reworked climb in the photo above. The Scout did a great job of picking the boulder on the driver's side and then dropped the passenger side over. It was just enough for the valve stem to kiss the new big rock there...FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK.

I bought an 8 pack of rubber valve stems but left them in the toolbox back at the tow rig. Luckily a fellow on the trail had a spare. I drove it far enough to break the outer bead and then we strapped it to a tree to take the pressure off the tire.

Last edited by Harvester of Sorrow; 11-26-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
With my quick air tank pressurizing my beer in my keg fridge...a fellow in the group had a small compressor and we reseated the bead.
Name:  IMG_7352.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  114.6 KB

Then 50 FUCKING FEET after getting that tire fixed, I lost the valve stem on the driver's side rear. I lost it in the very last little section of the trail. The section isn't even fucking hard and I only had to reset my line one time because I was hanging on my rear diff. I ended up just saying fuck it and gassed out to the gravel section after the trail. I drove it down the 1/2 mile down the dirt road and just fucking loaded it on the trailer.
Name:  IMG_7353.jpg
Size:  135.1 KB

Got the rig home and in the garage. Then the next night I went ahead and broke the bead down and put a rubber valve stem in. I used my Suburban and the curb to get the bead off the rim.
Name:  IMG_7360.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  88.4 KB

After I confirmed I didn't trash the tire driving it on the rim... I went ahead and remounted. I also used the opportunity to check the torque on my rear wheel spacers. Always a good idea to check them every once and awhile. All good!
Name:  IMG_7361.jpg
Size:  105.4 KB

Hopefully the trails in the area won't see tooo much damage over the winter and we can have a great spring season.
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registurd Abuser

Member # 34995
Looks like a good time!

The only thing I did related to wheeling was to order a 7/8" Heim tie rod kit from Ruff Stuff. The 1 ton Tre's won't stay tight. I had one trip where I found both castle nuts split. The only thing keeping them together was the cotter pins. I replaced the nuts, went wheeling and found a stripped nut.

The tapered holes in the high steer arms are now egg shaped but not larger than 3/4" so the kit I ordered will fix it.

Other than that I've been working on the wifes Christmas house display. Turning Styrofoam sheets into mountains and feeding one of our puppies. We have a puppy that might have Hydrocephalus and liver issues. She is losing weight and it looks like we might lose her. She is down to 1.35 pounds.

Also pulled the tent trailer out and cleaned it up so we can sell it.

Also got signed up for Wheeling Warriors again. I got put on Roller Coaster but am on the list to be moved to Compressor or Denver creek if someone drops out.

Last edited by '71 800B; 11-30-2018 at 08:21 AM.
'71 800B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in