Some Technical questions about T90A/T90C/T90AA - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > International Harvester
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 864366
Some Technical questions about T90A/T90C/T90AA

This is my first post on this forum and I've come here hoping you guys can help me out with some tribal knowledge on these transmissions because I'm having trouble finding answers. I don't want to bore you with a long story but without any context my questions are going to sound weird, so I'll try to briefly provide background...

I'm building a tractor PTO Generator using a massive Caterpillar Oil Field generator head. I need a gearbox to step up speed from my tractor's PTO (540RPM max-ish) to 1,800RPM that the generator needs in order to generate 60Hz. That's a 1:3.33 increase ratio. A purpose-built speed increasing gearbox for this is expensive, so I looked around for manual transmissions with a ratio close to that magical 3.33 number, which if ran in "reverse" (input shaft becomes output shaft and vise versa) might suit my needs.

I stumbled upon the Borg Warner T90C, which in 1st gear has a 3.34:1 ratio, aaand the icing on the cake is that it has a 1-3/8" 6-spline output shaft which is the same exact configuration as my tractor's PTO so I'll just need an ordinary PTO shaft to couple it to the tractor. I didn't find any T90C transmissions near me but I did find a T90AA, which I couldn't find any specs on but bought regardless, and now find that it has a 2.79:1 ratio in 1st gear instead of 3.34:1. It does however have a 3.79:1 ratio in reverse, which would allow me to hit 1800RPM (generator) at 475RPM (Tractor PTO) , which is acceptable (I think), but less than ideal.

So here go the questions:

1. is it a bad idea to run these transmissions continually in "reverse" [A] (using output shaft as input shaft and vise versa)?
2. is it a bad idea to run these transmissions continually in "reverse" [B] (the actual reverse gear engaged and transmitting power continuously)
3. is it a bad idea to run these transmissions continually in "reverse" [C] (opposite rotation, as in a backward-running engine)
4. Any particularly bad combination of [A], [B], and [C]?
5. How much torque can these transmissions handle? This one I'm told came off a 1968 V8 scout which I assume had 100-150HP? I cannot find specs for the scout v8 engines anywhere.
6. is it possible to simply drop the 16T/35T gear pair from a T90C into this transmission to achieve my golden 3.34:1 ratio? (NOTE: I do not need any of the other gears to work, only 1st gear)
6A. If so, where can I buy the gears?
strantor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 93509
Awesome build, subscribed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IDScout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 864366
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
Awesome build, subscribed!
Thanks. There's a lot more info and pictures on the tractor forum if you're interested.

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...att-worth.html

Old 02-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 93509
I was being sarcastic.

Why don't you just build it and answer your own questions? Do that then bask in the glory of not needing some random internet strangers approval.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 864366
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDScout View Post
I was being sarcastic.

Why don't you just build it and answer your own questions? Do that then bask in the glory of not needing some random internet strangers approval.
Assuming you speak for the entire forum, I don't think I understand what this forum is for. You say that I should just invest my time and money into something that may or may not work without consulting someone more knowledgeable who could save me the expense. So if this forum is not for consult prior to attempting a project, then it must be just a gallery of pictures of completed projects. But then you assert that I should not need validation from the online peanut gallery. So I don't see much purpose left here. Is this just a place to post pictures of other people driving offroad?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 93509

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in